Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I have never heard of Roy Rogers beef. I know Arby's and their mystery meat. Won't eat there.

Bugs, Arby's originally had a HUGE beef clod they cooked on a rotisserie (hanging on a chain), all in plain view of anyone who came into the restaurant. They would cut from it and slice it super thin. You knew you were getting ''real'' beef.

I think you have to be in your 70's to remember the way it started.....

I remember the sandwich being closer in price to $0.75 as opposed to the $0.20 burger at McDonald's ~ a pretty pricey substitution......but it was so good! I would save up my tips from working at Howard Johnson's just so I could go to Arby's for a REAL roast beef sandwich. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I remember when McDonald's fries were 12 1/2 cents. Remember when donut shops sold donuts by the half cent? I guess that was when gasoline was 28 cents a gallon.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I remember when McDonald's fries were 12 1/2 cents. Remember when donut shops sold donuts by the half cent? I guess that was when gasoline was 28 cents a gallon.

Yep .... WACO gas was 23 cents a gallon. And it was leaded gas back then.
un-leaded was something new.
Stop & Go burgers were 21 cents a burger, and 23 cents for cheese burgers.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane didn't get home until late last night so supper was 'quick'.....he was beat.

I just made some chicken chunks with Korean BBQ Sauce and some sauteed zucchini & onions.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 11_23_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're going to have a big meal on Thursday so I'm trying to think of 'light' meals leading up to the big
'Turkey Day'.....

So, tonight I made grouper. It's 'light' even though it's panko pan fried. I just made a sweet potato to split and some mixed vegetables to go with it.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 11_24_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had leftover chicken soup, ad a kielbasa loaf sandwich.
A Dunkin plain stick doughnut and coffee.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore's dinner:

"Sweet potato, delikata squash, Brussels sprouts and a piece of salmon with a pepper/mushroom/onion and corn salsa on n top. All done in the oven basically at the same time. I try to do that, make good use of the oven. "

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 11_24_13

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks, Beth. I will not be putting that kind of sauce on another beautiful piece of salmon. I really like my fish very simple, just a little butter/lemon juice or a bit of tartar sauce. In that picture, it does not look appetizing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spent most of the day on my feet in the kitchen and smelling stuff cooking.....I was in no mood to make supper. So we used some gift cards DD#2 sent last Christmas. Went to Outback. I had the filet and lobster and Dane had salmon.

We waddled out to the car and came home. I'm already in my nightgown ~ no desire for a waistband for the rest of the evening......

Cookin Lore

I miss being able to cook for my sister and her hubby, something that I have done almost weekly for the last two years. I don't know if there is a place locally where I can volunteer with this blankety blank virus. Gotta find some hungry people to feed! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am sure that you have some kind of soup kitchens that would love your help. It might take a few phone calls to find out where.

I feel so sorry for the restaurants and employees in L.A. county. They have shut down outside dining and suddenly all of these people are out of work again. I think it is absurd to do it. Maybe I am crazy, but I think if people want to go out and take the risk of getting sick, then let them. They aren't shutting down the airports. It just makes no sense to me. So many people are going to lose their businesses and employees are going to lose their homes. It is a domino effect. I see no financial help from anyone while at the same time they have paid out hundreds of thousands of dollars in unemployment to death row inmates. It is just crazy and corrupt.

Enough of my rant. LOL. Poor Joe is running around trying to get some prescription dog food for Katie's dog. She should be doing it. She is unfit as a pet owner. So, no dinner tonight and I suspect Joe will come home and have a stiff drink or two and then pass out in front of the TV.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Happy Thanksgiving to all... Lore, have a good day..

Yes, my untraditional T0day meal is on~ The chicken thighs with savory cranberry relish, rice pilaf, and fresh green beans..

I have tons of cookies, may share some, with a neighbor/friend. She is staying in, and having T day with her sister..
They will be eating the Turkey dinner the building provided for us... just reheating it..

The staff is surprising us, with delivering a slice of pie, personally, to our door, this morning.. A very sweet, kind, gesture..

Looking back, Covid has sparked them, to do so much for us.... a lot of kind gestures.. which they did not have to do...

Bugs, Norm, hopefully you ae feeling better, so you can enjoy this day with your family..
Jimmy the same to you... ((hugs)) Enjoy your family...

Beth, I know your meal will be phenomenal... and your company...

Sending ((((HUGS))) and kisses to all...

I may not post much, but I read this formum, daily

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you for the good wishes. I hope you have a nice relaxing day.

We are having a turkey dinner with only potatoes, dressing, gravy. When it is just the 3 of us, we have found that extra sides just go to waste. Joe wants to eat at 2PM so he can have plenty of time to digest his dinner.
SoCal is going to have high winds today. I don't know if they will reach us, but in other areas the electric company is saying they will cut power to avoid fires. Can you imagine trying to get a turkey dinner on the table with no power? I guess if it were me I would fire up the grill and slap the turkey in there to cook along with the sides if possible.
I got up early at 4AM, took a long hot bath, and fed Izzy. That kitten is a bottomless pit. I was also able to snag a Black Friday deal on a cat tree.
I see a lot of good deals but I don't need them or want them. I will look at more ads to see what else I don't need.

bethk, cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Cookin Lore like this post

NormM

NormM

I have not been doing much cooking lately. Not feeling up to it much. But the family cancelled Thanksgiving get together a couple months ago so we all had our own at home. That meant more leftovers! Yea!. Charlie recently told me his cousin had been given some cornbread that had yellow cake mix added to it so I made some today along with most of the regular Thanksgiving day stuff.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 20201111
November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 20201112
November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 20201113

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Still feeling puny from your surgery? I hope you feel better soon.

Your turkey looks wonderful. It is brown all over. My turkeys never get that way. What is your secret?

NormM

NormM

I rubbed butter under and over the skin then basted it several times and it browned better than usual. I went to Urgent Care with pain and they sent me to Emergency. I had a stone stuck in the tube. It took until today on pain pills but I think it is over now.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I feel for you Norm. As one who also suffers from kidney stones, I understand your pain. I just passed another one a few days ago but this time the pain meds made me sick.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a wonderful holiday even though we couldn't be with family.....but Lyn & Bill are as close to family as we have here in the Villages.

Here's my Thanksgiving, 2020 dinner plate:

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 11_26_13

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Three lamb chops, perfectly done med rare just in my frying pan. Mushrooms and onions, and a grain mix. I bought a package of various grains and spices atIKEA a couple of weeks ago. Thought it would be good to have on hand for something quick. You just put it into two and a half cups of water, bring to a boil, then cover for ten minutes. It was so-so and making my own is better. Live and learn!"

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 11_26_18

Cookin Lore

Thanks, Beth. I like making grain type things, but if I make them with several grains, I end up with enough to feed an army. What was surprising in the one last night is that the package said ingredients: Rye, Wheat, Barley, Oats, dried mushrooms, garlic, thyme and everything was in tiny pieces that looked basically like millet (birdseed) All the grains must have been chopped into tiny bits. That would explain the fact that it was done in ten minutes with just 2 cups of boiling water poured on it, sort of like couscous!

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I remember when McDonald's fries were 12 1/2 cents. Remember when donut shops sold donuts by the half cent? I guess that was when gasoline was 28 cents a gallon.

Yep .... WACO gas was 23 cents a gallon. And it was leaded gas back then.
un-leaded was something new.
Stop & Go burgers were 21 cents a burger, and 23 cents for cheese burgers.

YUP! And I made $1.00 / hour LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's tradition.....day after Thanksgiving is the only day I eat a cold turkey sandwich with Miracle Whip slathered on the bread. I did make a special run to the local TooJay's Deli for a fresh loaf of rye and challah bread. We also had some of my family tradition Orange Cabbage Salad with (you guessed it!) Miracle Whip on top.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 7 11_27_19

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

Charlie came to me with a recipe for left-over turkey and dressing quiche and asked me to make it. It is in the oven now.

Cookin Lore

No turkey here, but a grocery store rotisserie chicken, a baked potato and the last of the Delicata squash that I had in the fridge.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had another hot meal with turkey, dressing, potatoes and gravy. Tomorrow will be turkey and dressing sandwiches.
I have about a cup of leftover turkey fat. Any ideas on how I can use it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum