Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:No clue for supper.    Spaghetti maybe?  I asked if they had low sodium hot dogs in the stores. All I got was a shoulder shrug! No

Yes, Jimmy, there are low(er) sodium hot dogs......Boar's Head Light is one you might want to try. I think they're lower in fat content, too. But check out the nutritional values listed on the package ~ 'LOW' might not be low enough......just sayin'

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Boar's Head Lite Beef Franks contain far less sodium than your standard dog, and they only contain eight ingredients: beef, water, salt, paprika, sodium phosphate, flavorings, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite.

http://dontsalt.blogspot.com/2017/06/hot-dogs.html

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I had the last of the chicken cacciatore that I made yesterday. Not very ambitious today! Maybe tomorrow!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The simple supper..........

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 5 Simple10

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner tonight. I went to the doctor's late this afternoon. About 8pm I started to pass a kidney stone. I took a half pain pill which did the trick on pain but this time made me queasy so I am up late watching TV. Nausea pills only work so good. Tomorrow will be a chicken pot pie.

NormM

NormM

I had a kidney stone operation yesterday. I am in pain for that now. I have pain pills and will take one in half an hour

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

So sorry you're not feeling great, Bugs. Hope all is well this morning.

We got company last night so no pic posted then. I made pan fried panko grouper.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 5 11_16_10

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I had a kidney stone operation yesterday. I am in pain for that now.  I have pain pills and will take one in half an hour

I am so sorry Norm. I can feel your pain. Still hurting this morning and pain meds making me nauseated. I hope you feel better soon.

Cookin Lore

Sorry to hear of kidney problems. That pain is supposedly the closest a man can feel to what labour pain is for women.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hope you and Norm feel better.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ditto for me, too, Norm. Hope the recovery period is short.

NormM

NormM

Thanks everyone.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Change of plans for roasting a chicken for Thanksgiving......

I found a 12# Honeysuckle frozen turkey at WinnDixie today.....just looking because I was curious of the sizes they had available. Then I saw it was on sale.....Originally $21, on sale for $4.90

The whole chickens were more than that........

Since we're having Lyn & Bill over for the meal I don't want them disappointed with no turkey. Hopefully they'll take half the leftovers. Dane will only want a turkey sandwich that night and maybe the next day.

Me, I'll be busy reheating the dressing......a few times.......my fav!

Cookin Lore

Is your Thanksgiving this week? Or next?  

In what seems to be a never ending thing for me, I am once again trying to use up what's in my freezer. Of course, what happens, I make some space and then start buying again.  Took something out this morning.................... SURPRISE!  It's two pieces of rabbit.. I've generally made a whole rabbit, but the last time I made rabbit one wasn't enough, and two was too much for my pot, so there were two pieces left.  Guess I'm having them tonight.  I just stuck them in the oven with some spices, will figure out what to do in about an hour to finish them.  An experiment!  LOL

P.S. My favourite part of a turkey is also the "dressing" or stuffing, I like it done best in the bird.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanksgiving in the US is the 4th Thursday of November.....next week.

Tonight I made sweet & sour pork ~ I use the trimmings from a package of pork tenderloins, the kind that come packed 2 in a package.  After I trim off the silver skin, which is nasty, I use the ends for cut up pieces that I freeze and then I have two nice, even pork tenderloins to roast or grill.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 5 11_17_12

Last edited by bethk on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was cod in a butter wine sauce with a salad, and cauliflower.

Cookin Lore

My surprise rabbit experiment turned out really good. I had rubbed a little oil on the pieces, salt/pepper/garlic/cayenne just put them in a covered Pyrex casserole dish for about an hour. Then mixed up half a package of onion soup mix with a bit of water, and put that on top of the meat that was about half done. Threw in a potato cut in half, and put it all back in the oven for about another 40 min. Cooked some sprouts to with it, and everything was quite tasty. Rabbit does have a distinct, but very mild flavour. I will probably do it like this again.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am up in the middle of the night watching "My Man Godfrey" and looking at the grocery store ads. A local market has choice standing rib roasts for $4.77/lb. I am going to pick one up and freeze it. There are also sales on ice cream and coke that I want. Sometimes I feel like I live at the grocery store.
I had a brand new can of toffee peanuts that I opened. I ate a few. I wnt back the next day to find the can empty. Katie found it and ate the whole thing. I am going to have to start hiding things. I also wish I had a lock for the freezer. Joe eats all of my ice cream. I am going to see if there is one on Amazon.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a problem and maybe someone can give me some ideas. If I buy ice cream, my husband will eat it - all of it. I thought of putting a freezer lock on the door of the freezer but then he can't get to things he needs like bread. I found some locking freezer boxes but they really aren't able to hold more than 4 pints of ice cream. Ideas????

Cookin Lore

Bought some cod today which a friend suggested to be poached in milk. I have never made fish in milk, but yes shrimp etc., in cream. Will see how it goes.

Tomorrow I get to cook for son and daughter-in-law who have just finished a major reno in their house. It's all done, I offered to bring some scallopped potatoes, son said that would be nice, but some chicken schnitzels to go along would be even better! LOL DIL will make some kind of vegetable to go with what I bring.

bethk

bethk
Admin

You get better suggestions from your son than I get from Dane!  When I ask HIM what he'd like I usually get an answer like, "I don't know." or "Whatever you feel like cooking....."

Or, worse yet, he'll suggest 'Mexican', which is my absolute LEAST FAVORITE meal to fix.  Just don't care for it.

I finally bought an OXO Spiralizer......been thinking of getting one for years.  I just didn't want yet another 'thing' to take up space in my cabinets.  But, I did it anyway.

So, tonight I made pork chops, Penzey seasoned green beans and SPIRALIZED, OVEN BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES.

And they got a 'thumbs up' from both of us. I spiralized a large peeled sweet potato ~ really easy to do, and quick! I soaked the potatoes in some cold water (as suggested on a 'you-tube' video I had watched) and then dried them well by folding them into a tea towel for a bit. I sprinkled the dried potatoes with a bit of corn starch and added some oil, mixed well with my hands to distribute the oil evenly and then spread the potatoes out as much as I could on a sheet pan. I put them in a preheated 450° convection oven and turned them a few times in the 25 minutes it took them to cook. They probably could have stayed in the oven a bit longer but I didn't want them to burn. When I took them out I sprinkled them with salt.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 5 11_18_11

Cookin Lore

Those look great.  I bought a spiralizer about three years ago, but it doesn't seem worth doing for just myself.  I have used it when I had company or took something to a party.  Fun to do and everything looks nice when spiralized.

Is the OXO electric?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Those look great.  I bought a spiralizer about three years ago, but it doesn't seem worth doing for just myself.  I have used it when I had company or took something to a party.  Fun to do and everything looks nice when spiralized.

Is the OXO electric?

No, just the OXO hand crank. I don't know that I'll use it a lot but I still wanted one.

I've wasted way more on other things so it wasn't all that much to have fun once in a while.....LOL

cookingirl

cookingirl

Been missing for a wile.. but this forum has not been forgotten. I have watched, but not signed in..

Bugs: Congrats on new kitty! Any name?
Sorry about kidney issues..

Norm: ouch! so sorry...

Cooking Lore: Food looks so good!

Jimmy: Hi, Love--take care of yourself

Beth: As usual--love you...

Did I forget anyone? Sorry if I did.

Things have been dramatic... I am ok..Geoffrey is ok.. it is just junk.. a lot of stuff, kind of colliding in one huge mountain to climb.

Happy early Thanksgiving to all. Lore, happy belated T-day, to you..

As most people are doing, the holidays with family are cancelled. Staying home with Geoffrey.

I decided, that since this is an Un-Year, 2020, I am going to do an Untraditional T-day meal.

I found a recipe for Chicken thighs with real cranberries, which I am going to try.
It is chicken thighs browned stove top, added whole fresh cranberries, brown sugar, some onion, some herbs--forget which ones.. thinking I may use dried sage, and some parsley... Placed in oven to bake.

Thinking of wild rice or rice pilaf and fresh green beans.. instead of stuffing, gravy, squash.
Dessert is still up in the air. This is an untraditional T-day. I am not a fan of turkey, so I will try this out.

If it does not meet my tastes, well, there are always hot dogs!

A friend thinks I am crazy for trying a new recipe for T-day.. but I say, why not?? It is just me.. so...

Just wanted to drop in...

Stay safe everyone...

Cookin Lore

HI Cooking girl! I'm with you regarding making something new on an "occasion"! I have friends whom I invite on purpose when I want to make something new. I had my uncle (that I talk about lots) and his son here a while ago and told them that they were "testers" for something new. Had a text message the next day from son "Thanks again for the great dinner last night, and please remember us when you need to experiment again!" LOL

And thanks for saying my food looks good...................... I also chat on a small line of friends that I've met through B&B and was just recently told that my food all looks the same and is unimaginative. And, all I seem to do is cut up some vegetables and throw a piece of fish in a frying pan. However, I don't want to say anything negative about that poster, so I will just say I take the criticism with a whole bucket of salt, not just a grain.

Dinner last night was very simple. Plain steamed broccoli and carrots, just with butter and salt, and some cod simmered in milk. A friend told me that that's how her mom used to do it. I had put quite a bit of dill, cayenne, oregano and thyme in the milk, but it didn't flavour the fish much. I did make some fresh tartar sauce to go on it, but next time I will make a spicy salsa to go on it. I've had a fish with a mango/corn/jalapeno salsa on it in a restaurant, so I'll try that next time.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum