Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

My mother loved pimento cheese sandwiches. I thought it was revolting looking and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. When I was in my 30's I was making up a batch of it for her and decided to have a taste. Damn! It was really good. Funny how things change as you age.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I made a large Sirloin steak in the oven with some onion soup mix, a baked potato and some Swiss Chard sauteed with onions, mushrooms and garlic. No picture today.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Speaking of Swiss Chard.......ours is up and growing. Still a couple weeks before I'll be cutting any. I want it to be really established in their patio pots before I begin snipping away!

tonight was crispy chicken thighs, zucchini & onion saute and basalmic avocado salad.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 11_09_12

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner tonight.

Baby got first shots and deworming and is feeling pretty puny. I hope I don't wake up to a dead kitten in the morning. Those shots can make them sick.
I'll be up all night with worry.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:No dinner tonight.

Baby got first shots and deworming and is feeling pretty puny. I hope I don't wake up to a dead kitten in the morning. Those shots can make them sick.

Awww! poor baby!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper Simple.... Victoria brand Jarred marinara sauce over
macaroni. Steamed Brussels sprouts on the side.
We did say, the sauce was really good.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some cubed steaks and decided to make Swiss Steak ~ with mushroom gravy. I had planned to have green beans but after I got them cooked & on my plate.....took one bite and decided they tasted 'off' to me so I suggested to Dane he also NOT EAT THE BEANS! Of course, Mr. Tough Guy thought I was crazy.

If he dies in his sleep I'm going to yell, "I told you so!".......

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 11_10_13

Cookin Lore

I have not been eating many greens lately so made a salad of romaine, pepper, radish, tomato, onion, lots of parsley and topped it up with some marinated sea creatures that I keep in my fridge. Just sent a picture to Beth who is probably getting really tired of me, or at least of my postings.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I had some cubed steaks and decided to make Swiss Steak ~ with mushroom gravy.  I had planned to have green beans but after I got them cooked & on my plate.....took one bite and decided they tasted 'off' to me so I suggested to Dane he also NOT EAT THE BEANS!  Of course, Mr. Tough Guy thought I was crazy.

If he dies in his sleep I'm going to yell, "I told you so!".......

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 11_10_13

Chances are he'll not die in his sleep, you'll just have to hold his head while he prays to the porcelain god, or hold the bowl while he up-chucks!

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner tonight. Joe had a huge burger this morning and is still full. Tomorrow will be some Asian wraps that I bought up at Costco.
I will also be going to Aldi to pick up a couple of turkeys on sale for 45 cents a pound. I hope they have some of their stuffing bread this year. If not, I have several recipes for it I can try.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A tomato and cheese on white toast, with a bowl of canned cream of mushroom with one mushroom I think they used all minced.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 Img_2033

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 Img_2034

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I have not been eating many greens lately so made a salad of romaine, pepper, radish, tomato, onion, lots of parsley and topped it up with some marinated sea creatures that I keep in my fridge.  Just sent a picture to Beth who is probably getting really tired of me, or at least of my postings.

Lore.....I didn't get the email. Try again!

((and, NO, I'm not tired of you!))

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:No dinner tonight.

How's the kitty????

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I have not been eating many greens lately so made a salad of romaine, pepper, radish, tomato, onion, lots of parsley and topped it up with some marinated sea creatures that I keep in my fridge.  Just sent a picture to Beth who is probably getting really tired of me, or at least of my postings.

Lore.....I didn't get the email.  Try again!

Sorry, it was still in my out box,
!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:

Sorry, it was still in my out box,!

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 11_10_14

TA DA !!!

Cookin Lore

Food related, but not cooking................. I did my first shift of volunteering at a place called "Niagara Christian Gleaners" on Monday.  A Mennonite (and no, I have no affiliation there) program to use food that would normally be dumped.  If you're interested, look at their website, but I'll do a Readers Digest version here.  They receive thousands of pounds of food from farmers who can't sell if for some reason or other, it is washed, then the top and root end cut, bad spots cut out, then it goes into a chopper, then on racks to be dehydrated, then packaged up and distributed free of charge to some developing countries, and also to Canadian communities in the far north where vegetables are very expensive.

Monday we did about 5,000 pounds of carrots which were donated because of being too large for the normal market.  There is an area, just north of Toronto called "The Holland Marsh" which has very, very fertile soil and produces an amazing amount of food. These carrots came from there.  Of course, with the pandemic, farmers had planted and now restaurants are also not ordering in their normal quantities, so dehydrating like this is a win/win situation for those less fortunate.

On Monday they were packaging the dried potatoes, the cubes were about 1/4 inch. Apparently there are 40,000 pounds of spuds waiting to be done.  A friend told me about it, she was there on a day when they did onions, and one day doing beets.  I'm not sure I want to be there when onions are on the assembly line.. I feel the chopping in my shoulders. LOL

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:

Sorry, it was still in my out box,!

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 3 11_10_14

TA DA !!!

Thanks............. what took you so long? It must have been at least 90 seconds! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

Baby kitten is just fine. He is driving us crazy jumping on my laptop, bouncing off the walls keeping me up at night by chewing on my toes or beating up on my hands. He also chases after your feet making walking vey difficult. He has also become a skilled escape artist.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Baby kitten is just fine. He is driving us crazy jumping on my laptop, bouncing off the walls keeping me up at night by chewing on my toes or beating up on my hands. He also chases after your feet making walking vey difficult. He has also become a skilled escape artist.

There is a good name for him........... Houdini

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is going out with his military friends tonight so there will be no cooking.

And to our veterans here on the forum, THANK YOU for your service!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Occasionally I need to make something in a water bath. I usually microwave my water till it is very hot. What I have trouble with is pouring the water into the pan. I have tried a pot on the stove but I don't have much control and it spills and runs down the pot. I use a Pyrex glass measuring cup but it is useless when pouring. The water goes everywhere. Does anyone know of a good pouring container that can be microwaved?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Occasionally I need to make something in a water bath. I usually microwave my water till it is very hot. What I have trouble with is pouring the water into the pan. I have tried a pot on the stove but I don't have much control and it spills and runs down the pot. I use a Pyrex glass measuring cup but it is useless when pouring. The water goes everywhere. Does anyone know of a good pouring container that can be microwaved?

Do you have a tea pot with a spout?

You could always microwave in a pyrex cup and then pour it into the tea pot (while the pot is sitting in the sink.....).

Or you could just plan ahead and heat a pot of water on the stovetop while you're prepping your dish to go into the water bath. A tea pot with a spout is the answer for you for pouring safely.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Occasionally I need to make something in a water bath. I usually microwave my water till it is very hot. What I have trouble with is pouring the water into the pan. I have tried a pot on the stove but I don't have much control and it spills and runs down the pot. I use a Pyrex glass measuring cup but it is useless when pouring. The water goes everywhere. Does anyone know of a good pouring container that can be microwaved?

Do you have a tea pot with a spout?  

You could always microwave in a pyrex cup and then pour it into the tea pot (while the pot is sitting in the sink.....).

Or you could just plan ahead and heat a pot of water on the stovetop while you're prepping your dish to go into the water bath.  A tea pot with a spout is the answer for you for pouring safely.

I have tried my pots. They make a mess. I haven't tried a teapot but it sounds like a good idea.

Cookin Lore

What about putting the dish with the water in the oven first, let it heat up, then put the other dish in once the water is hot?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was Cousin Donna's Sloppy Joes.... WoW were they tasty. PLUS...
Tina picked up onion rings and jalepeno poppers at Burger King.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum