Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

NormM

NormM

I got a whole chicken and cut it up and froze the dark meat, made breaded chicken with the breasts and soup with the back and rest of the carcass. "See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 5 20200912

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

So very pretty and tasty, too, I'll bet. It's one I make.....sometimes I switch out the basalmic for marinara and call it chicken parm......Other times I make up another name and Dane never argues with me, he just eats. LOL

And there were no complaints about tonight's meal ~ I especially enjoyed the baby bok choy. It was noticeably fresh and had just the slightest bitter taste, just right! I'm glad I decided to serve it 'on it's own' as a side dish to the stir fry. The basmati rice came out nice and fluffy.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 5 09_12_10

NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a huge omelet at noon so no dinner for us. Picked up a couple packages of coconut shrimp to try. I will make a tropical rice and asian slaw to go with it. Another trip to the store. My entire social life consists of trips to the grocery store. I haven't had my hair cut since January and I look like a hag. Even if I got it cut I would still look like a hag. LOL. I have the worst hair on the planet. It won't curl or perm. Bleaching makes it break off and dying it does no good, so I look like a hag.

Cookin Lore

Spaetzle is the specialty of the region in Germany where we lived when I was little. MY mother never made them, and then I married a German who didn't like noodles/pasta of any kind. I like them, but buy them ready made, tried making them once and decided that other people now how to make them better. I also prefer a potato with the pork/sauerkraut.

Roast is taking too long, so I went to I guess plan "C" I had some marinara sauce with meat in the fridge, and the biggest portobello mushroom ever. So I put the meat sauce in the mushroom, topped it with a bunch of cheese, and stuck it in the oven beside the pork roast. It was delicious, I will do it again.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally found some chuck roasts on sale for $2.99/lb.

So, pot roast (in the oven) is on the menu for tonight. Seasoned with s&p, topped with thick slices of onion and some wine in the pot after a good sear. Half way through I'll add some peeled potatoes and carrots ~ gravy will be made at the end.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Great price!

Cookin Lore

Well, the "Plan C" with the pork roast I had in the oven has turned into plan "D" for tonight's dinner. The roast is delicious, but the bone in it was so big, it was hard to slice. So, I had a lot of bits and pieces. Some big enough that I have put them in the freezer to figure out what to do later.

Then I figured, why not make a goulash out of the pork.............. I had a humungous portobello, chopped that up, sauteed that and a big onion, added some beef broth and then the pork pieces. It was OK, but needed a little more flavour. So, I tasted the bit of very overcooked sauerkraut that had been on the bottom of the roasting pan, put some of that along with the pan drippings into the pot, and voila! I have invented a new dish! Then I called 87 year old uncle and asked him to come for dinner. He's great at trying out my experiments. He's just happy if he doesn't have to cook! LOL I will put some potatoes in the oven to bake.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, the last time I made pork & sauerkraut I ended up using a half rack of baby back ribs I wanted to use up. I also only had a 14 oz. can of sauerkraut so I sliced up the last bit of green cabbage I had in the refrigerator and put that in the bottom of the pot, then the browned ribs and finally topped it all with the can of sauerkraut. Turned out delicious.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I would have made pulled pork sandwiches.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We were both more than ready for an 'old fashioned' pot roast.

And we weren't disappointed.....the flavor was there just as we hoped.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 5 09_13_11

I have just enough leftovers to make one hot roast beef sandwich for each of us. Now THAT'S a leftover I look forward to!

NormM

NormM

Charlie's request for dinner was for pork bulgogi which we already had some in the freezer. We had it with rice and kim chi. Yesterday I got a really nice and ripe peach from the market so that was dessert. I put some raspberry jam in the middle, grilled them a little than poured some melted ice cream over it."See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 5 20200913

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanksgiving in September...."See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 5 Img_2013

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 5 Img_2014

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Turkey STUFFING !!!!

and gravy........YUM!

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie's request for dinner was for pork bulgogi which we already had some in the freezer. We had it with rice and kim chi.  Yesterday I got a really nice and ripe peach from the market so that was dessert. I put some raspberry jam in the middle, grilled them a little than poured some melted ice cream over it.

Peaches that taste like peaches is such a summer treat. I miss them. What we get is just 'OK' but nothing like the ones we got that were picked ripe off the tree and ready to eat.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had coconut shrimp. asian slaw and tropical rice. I had a burger on a bun with double cheese.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore

Improvization, that's what you gotta have sometimes! Goulash turned out great. Uncle Ernie and his son loved it. So did I.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Turkey STUFFING !!!!

and gravy........YUM!

The funny part..... After the kids were getting their baths, I sat here laughing, and said, "I didn't see Jimmy Jr. eat any corn with his potatoes!" .....
Tina said, "%$$#@#^%^&*^(&...... Son of..gun, and as she opened the microwave, and there was the bowl of corn!"
Corn that Tina went to the store to get special for our son. Shoepeg corn. Corn he can digest easily

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

The funny part..... After the kids were getting their baths, I sat here laughing, and said, "I didn't see Jimmy Jr. eat any corn with his potatoes!" .....
Tina said, "%$$#@#^%^&*^(&...... Son  of..gun, and as she opened the microwave, and there was the bowl of corn!"
Corn that Tina went to the store to get special for our son. Shoepeg corn. Corn he can digest easily

Oh, Man, haven't we ALL done that at one time or more? Usually it's the rolls in the oven that you notice when the air fills with black smoke.......

LOL

Tell her I said, 'been there ~ done that' !

NormM

NormM

Even with all that questionable food from the 60's, or maybe because of it, being overweight back then was less of a problem than it is today.

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Even with all that questionable food from the 60's, or maybe because of it, being overweight back then was less of a problem than it is today.

Portions are just way too big, not enough exercise. When my kids, now 52 and 54, were in grade school the walk to the bus stop in the country was about 1/2 mile. Now it's the end of the driveway.

Bugster2

Bugster2

In grade school we walked to school which was at least a mile, then I got a bicycle which made life easier. Junior and senior high schools were way too far away to walk. I had to have my mother take us to school. It's funny because there were maybe only 2 fat kids I knew in school. It could be partly because when we got home from school we played outside for a couple of hours before dinner or I had ballet lessons. You rarely saw fat kids.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I would have made pulled pork sandwiches.

Lordy, there would be enough for 20 sandwiches! I've never had pulled pork as a sandwich. I always thought it was just an overcooked roast! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

Shred the meat, mix it with some smokey or Carolina style bbq sauce, slap it on a burger bun along with some coleslaw (or not). YUM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I over ate yesterday, so it will be nibble and graze for supper today.
Maybe I can get Tina to make a batch of Mac and Cheese.
Right now, I will have an egg fried, on an English muffin with cheese for lunch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum