Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with you, Lore. What really irritates me is when I go to the store to get something like pork tenderloin ~ the little ones that are packaged two in a package. All I have to do is take off the silverskin and break them down into the sizes I want for meals.

But sometimes I go to the store and they ONLY have the 'seasoned' ones.

And don't even get me started on the 'seasoned' chicken or fish in the 'fresh meat' case. I can only imagine they didn't sell the whole breasts or filets so someone got assigned the task to cut them up and slop on some sauce. NO THANKS!

cookingirl likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

These were not pre-spiced. They smelled fine but they were a bit sticky.

WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina worked in the meat dept. of the supermarkets.
Never buy already seasoned anything, she said.
Sticky chicken is going bad. The enzymes are surfacing on the meat.
A lot of the Managers, would soak the meat in a brine to bring the yellow color back.
A lot of the brined chicken, would be given to the deli to be sold as rotisserie chicken. They don't do it today, or at least, they are not supposed to do it today.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking.....

Meeting friends at one of the country clubs for supper this evening.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I saw a recipe called Creamy Garlic Chicken and it looked good but when I read the recipe just before going to the store, I thought it looked a lot like Chicken Florentine so I looked up some of those recipes and decided to do Giada de Laurentiis' recipe.
I also wanted to try a new coleslaw recipe with tricolor slaw mix, pineapple and bacon. While I was making it, I suddenly had remembered that awful salad at every church social in the 1960s with cabbage, carrots, pineapple and lime jello. I wondered if the person who made up this recipe was maybe the granddaughter of the person who made up that green jello salad. I went ahead and made it with a little trepidation. I figured if it was terrible, I wouldn't tell anyone. The pineapple was just a slight addition to the taste and the bacon hardly noticeable. Charlie said it was good."See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 3 20200911
"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 3 20200910

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina worked in the meat dept. of the supermarkets.
Never buy already seasoned anything, she said.
Sticky chicken is going bad. The enzymes are surfacing on the meat.
A lot of the Managers, would soak the meat in a brine to bring the yellow color back.
A lot of the brined chicken, would be given to the deli to be sold as rotisserie chicken. They don't do it today, or at least, they are not supposed to do it today.

I didn't know about sticky chicken. Thanks for the tip Jimmy. PS: I never buy pre-seasoned meats either. I have always thought they were using the seasoning to cover up bad meat. My father used to tell me that chocolate milk was also bad milk. IDK. He wouldn't let us buy it..

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

Stopped at son and daughter-in-law's place today. They had leftover pizza from last night (it was ssssso good) for lunch, so it was just a great salad for dinner. Mesclun mix, red pepper, onion, parsley, half a tomato, half an avocado, and feta cheese. YUMMY!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I breaded steak cutlets and seasoned them with Italian seasoning.
Tina steamed cauliflower and made buttered noodles.
She also made oatmeal raisin cookies with 2/3 less sugar. She boiled the raisins to soften them.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I saw a recipe called Creamy Garlic Chicken and it looked good but when I read the recipe just before going to the store, I thought it looked a lot like Chicken Florentine so I looked up some of those recipes and decided to do Giada de Laurentiis' recipe.  
I also wanted to try a new coleslaw recipe with tricolor slaw mix, pineapple and bacon. While I was making it, I suddenly had remembered that awful salad at every church social in the 1960s with cabbage, carrots, pineapple and lime jello.  I wondered if the person who made up this recipe was maybe the granddaughter of the person who made up that green jello salad.  I went ahead and made it with a little trepidation.  I figured if it was terrible, I wouldn't tell anyone.  The pineapple was just a slight addition to the taste and the bacon hardly noticeable.  Charlie said it was good.

As I read your thoughts on the slaw, Norm, I could just imagine you breaking out in sweat just thinking about the church social ladies arranging dish after dish of the jello salads. I have to admit, though, my family favorite of orange jello, cabbage, carrots, & pineapple ~ with some Miracle Whip on top ~ is something we always look forward to. I don't know many others who would agree with us but it's OUR TRADITION and we're sticking to it!

There are a couple restaurants here that serve a cole slaw with pineapple. A lot of people like it.

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out with Lyn & Bill this evening. The 'special' was Twin 3 oz. Filet, Oscar Style, with mashed potatoes & green beans/carrots.....$19.59. It was excellent.

He had escargot for an appetizer because he loves 'em. We had 4 cocktails (his 3, my 1....). He had cheesecake and I had creme brulee for dessert.

Our total bill was just under $100.

Pretty good special! Everything was cooked as ordered, presented artfully (I forgot pics....) and the service was spot on.

NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We went out with Lyn & Bill this evening.  The 'special' was Twin 3 oz. Filet, Oscar Style, with mashed potatoes & green beans/carrots.....$19.59.  It was excellent.  

He had escargot for an appetizer because he loves 'em.  We had 4 cocktails (his 3, my 1....).  He had cheesecake and I had creme brulee for dessert.

Our total bill was just under $100.

Pretty good special!  Everything was cooked as ordered, presented artfully (I forgot pics....) and the service was spot on.

Good to see you got a break from cooking. I'm sure you had an enjoyable time. "See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 3 1628686546

Bugster2

Bugster2

Record heat yesterday in LA county. 121 in Woodland Hills. It was 110 here. At 4:30 AM it was 65 outside so I opened windows and turned on the whole house fan in an attempt to clear the house of heat. It is going to be cooler today. The air quality is bad from a fire.

We are going to have salmon and asparagus skewers. The salmon will be marinated in a soy/honey sauce. The last of the key lime pie was eaten yesterday. I bought some
Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars on sale. Joe got snarky about it so I hid them from him. They are all mine!
I ordered some skewers from Amazon. They are supposed to come today. I hope they arrive in time for me to use them. I hate wooden skewers.
The rib eye we had last night was excellent. I made some potatoes romanoff and broccoli to go with it. There are leftover potatoes so we will have those again tonight.

Cookin Lore

Believe me, I am not complaining (much LOL) I love my children, and am always happy when they include me in their dinner or lunch plans......................BUT,....................... they really like pub style food and I miss going to a fancier place with a little more upstyle food and atmosphere.  Now, COVID has a lot to do with that also.  But, I like a white tablecloth and no loud music.  So, I think I just have to invite them and say I'll pay the bill!  My sister and I used to go to lots of white tablecloth places.

I see someone has posted about salmon skewers, I have not done that, so maybe that will be on my menu in the next few days.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Labor Day Everyone!

Here, it will be London broil, burgers, and hot dogs.
Tina is baking a cake.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

The air is really bad here from a fire 50 miles away. The backyard is covered with ash. The temp is up to 92 . Defrosted the salmon. Made the marinade and blanched the asparagus.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I saw a recipe called Creamy Garlic Chicken and it looked good but when I read the recipe just before going to the store, I thought it looked a lot like Chicken Florentine so I looked up some of those recipes and decided to do Giada de Laurentiis' recipe.  
I also wanted to try a new coleslaw recipe with tricolor slaw mix, pineapple and bacon. While I was making it, I suddenly had remembered that awful salad at every church social in the 1960s with cabbage, carrots, pineapple and lime jello.  I wondered if the person who made up this recipe was maybe the granddaughter of the person who made up that green jello salad.  I went ahead and made it with a little trepidation.  I figured if it was terrible, I wouldn't tell anyone.  The pineapple was just a slight addition to the taste and the bacon hardly noticeable.  Charlie said it was good.

As I read your thoughts on the slaw, Norm, I could just imagine you breaking out in sweat just thinking about the church social ladies arranging dish after dish of the jello salads.  I have to admit, though, my family favorite of orange jello, cabbage, carrots, & pineapple ~ with some Miracle Whip on top ~ is something we always look forward to.  I don't know many others who would agree with us but it's OUR TRADITION and we're sticking to it!

There are a couple restaurants here that serve a cole slaw with pineapple.  A lot of people like it.

I never heard of coleslaw with pineapple, but I think it would go well with the recipe I used called Texas coleslaw. I think I have a bit of cabbage in my fridge that needs to be used, I just might try that today.

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, NORM! I just saw this recipe as I was looking at an article on the internet.....I thought, "Gee, that sounds like something right up Norm's wheelhouse......"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/12-dishes-our-grandparents-ate-that-are-bizarre-yet-delicious/ss-BB18LVOR?li=BBnbfcL#image=8

Actually, it reminds me of one my Grandma made with lime Jell-O, Vernor's Ginger Ale, Pineapple and Cream Cheese......sometimes she would add some chopped pecans. A holiday isn't a holiday without Jell-O salads.

Hahahahahahahaha!

NormM

NormM

Oh yum. I have seen one with cottage cheese added too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Oh yum.  I have seen one with cottage cheese added too.

Hahahahaha! I just KNEW you'd love that!

bethk

bethk
Admin

After two days of super heavy, rich meals it was a pleasure to bake a spaghetti squash tonight and have it with a healthy serving of homemade marinara. I've been hungry for spaghetti squash for a few weeks and just couldn't bring my self to spring for the $1.49/lb.....but the price dropped to $1.19/lb today so that 30 cents was the kicker for me.

And it was really quite good ~ I always worry I'm going to get one that was picked too soon and is 'green' tasting, with lots of excess water. But this one was pretty tasty.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 3 09_07_11

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw that feed on MSN yesterday. My mother loved ambrosia salad and both parents loved chipped beef on toast.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Well, my salmon kabobs were a fail. The fish fell right off the skewers.
I just went outside to check the temp and thankfully it was 69. What was so unusual was the color of the moon - it was red, really red, like Mars red. Must be from the fires. I have never seen that color before on the moon.

I am already thinking about tomorrow's dinner. I think it will be flatbread pizzas.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Well, my salmon kabobs were a fail. The fish fell right off the skewers.

Bugs ~ if you want to try them again you should try with a grill mat. They're great for fish. There's good heat transfer and you get grill marks on your fish or vegetables, the food doesn't stick and you can turn with a spatula. I use one any time I want to do fish on the grill.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Well, my salmon kabobs were a fail. The fish fell right off the skewers.

Bugs ~ if you want to try them again you should try with a grill mat.  They're great for fish.  There's good heat transfer and you get grill marks on your fish or vegetables, the food doesn't stick and you can turn with a spatula.  I use one any time I want to do fish on the grill.

The problem wasn't sticking, the fish just wasn't firm enough to hold it's shape, but I will look into a grill mat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Another night of no cooking.

Jim's taking us out to meet our contractor, Patrick & his wife for dinner in Howey-In-the-Hills.....about 40 minutes from us.  Suppose to be a lovely place on the banks of Lake Harris.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum