Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Cookin Lore

Someone mentioned putting pineapple in coleslaw.................... Delish! I had a bit of cabbage that needed to be dealt with, so I just made a coleslaw. The regular green cabbage, carrot, a lot of parsley, s/p oil/vinegar, a little sugar, a little yellow mustard, about 3/4 can of pineapple tidbits. a little of the pineapple juice, and just for a little kick since I had my grater out, I grated in a half an jalapeno pepper. I quite like it. I often add pineapple to things like a salad with rice, quinoa, or other grains.

So, the lesson today is also that it is possible to make a small amount of coleslaw. It does not have to be a whole head of cabbage that feeds 30 people! LOL

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

So, the lesson today is also that it is possible to make a small amount of coleslaw.  It does not have to be a whole head of cabbage that feeds 30 people! LOL

I can also make slaw for one or two.....

But potato salad always seems to grow and breed in the bowl ~ and therefore I've learned that potato salad for breakfast is a good thing!

LOL

cookingirl likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

My COVID antibody test was negative so I guess we never had it.

I made a chicken wild rice casserole for dinner.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I agree about the potato salad.  However, I always have people who are happy to take some off my hands!

P.S. on edit. I can eat a lot of things for breakfast, leftover pizza is great or a piece of cake with lots and lots of whipping cream. BUT, I haven't tried potato salad. YET.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a bun and burger, and a burger with no bun.
A piece of butter cake, with all icing removed.
Having a coffee for dessert.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had an absolutely lovely dinner last night with Jim, Patrick & Susan. It was just a reminder of how much we all miss interacting with others after keeping everyone at bay for months.

We drove to a very small town, Howey-In-the-Hills, about 40 minutes from us, and had dinner at J B Boondock's, a small restaurant on the edge of the lake. There was a bit of misty rain but we were still able to sit outside in the relatively cool breeze to eat.

Just before the sun set we all noticed there was a double rainbow ~ I asked Dane TWICE to go find the end and bring back the pot of gold but he decided to let it be.....LOL

Most of us had fish selections ~ I had steamed clams in a wine/tomato broth with some toasted bread on the side and a small garden salad. Dane had a cajun redfish that looked HUGE. He seemed to enjoy every bite. Jim was happy with his lobster mac & cheese and Susan decided to take half of her fried fish home.

But, as I said, the best part was the company and conversation ~ there was no one else on the patio near us so we were all feeling comfortable sitting at a large table in the breeze.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 09_08_12

NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

On the menu tonight, is salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Nothing tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Finally a homemade supper.....but planning on nothing tomorrow because I'll be driving Lyn to Orlando for a doctor's appointment. We always have a lovely lunch and it's enough to fill us for the day.

So, this morning I thawed some pork shoulder steak and made braised pork with onions, baked a butternut squash, made Brussels sprouts with bacon and a Sweet Kale Salad kit.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 09_09_12

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I made several large Burgers, or basically mini meatloaves some time ago. Took one out for supper tonight. It's in the oven along with two big slices of butternut squash. And I have some cooked, spiced rice to go with it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Great supper Tina made.
There was a salad ( no pic ).... salisbury steak with mushrooms & dark gravy.
Cauliflower and noodles.
Breaded and fried eggplant.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 Img_2010
"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 Img_2011

bethk and NormM like this post

Cookin Lore

I found a new (to me) delicious squash.. Delicata. Delicious and so pretty, easy to cook/bake because the skin/peeling is edible. So, not much work. So far I've only found it at one farmer's market locally. I'm going there to get a few and will bake them in rings to put in the freezer. September is such a great time for farmers' markets here! Do you have it where you are all located?

NormM

NormM

There is a small one about a mile from here on what used to be part of the Santa Fe trail and another one 15 or 20 miles from here in Overland Park but the biggest and nicest is The Kansas City River Market but going there is a half day event. I used to work there in high school in a place that sold produce to restaurants and grocery stores and lived closer back then.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 Unknow15

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 Unknow14

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

We have a couple of farmer's markets: one is in Old Town about 6 miles away on Saturdays. It isn't all vegetables. They have crafts, flowers and hot food such as tamales. The vegetable selection isn't that large. There is another at the mall about 7 miles away on Wednesdays. I haven't been there yet. Where I used to live there was a market on Saturdays at UCI that had a large variety of vegetables for sale. There was another at the mall where I bought a 5 pound onion and one of the only tomatoes that actually tasted like a tomato.

cookingirl

cookingirl

There is a summer weekly farmers market in my city. Not very well supplied. The prices are really high. I know there is nothing like farm fresh produce; however the prices were outrageous.

There is a really high class market, about 15 miles from me, which started out as a farm stand. The produce is delicious! All perfect. You do realize that you are paying top price for things, before you go in.

The staff is awesome. For example: I asked one to help me pick out a melon, to be ready in 3 days. They picked one out, spot on! Always giving out samples. They grow their own veggies, on site. There is an attached farm. The corn, is to die for!! and they will peel if for you, if you would like..

I have not been there is years!!

www.wilsonfarm.com

Cannot download link.. sorry.. But it is Wilson Farm... just love it.. They used to have chickens, sheep, cows, etc...
~~~~
Delicata squash is around every fall. To me, it has a very mild flavor. I have not had it in a while.. maybe soon.

I do prefer butternut squash, spaghetti squash--not very often. Sometimes acorn squash.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I found a new (to me) delicious squash.. Delicata.  Delicious and so pretty, easy to cook/bake because the skin/peeling is edible.  So, not much work.  So far I've only found it at one farmer's market locally. I'm going there to get a few and will bake them in rings to put in the freezer.  September is such a great time for farmers' markets here! Do you have it where you are all located?

Yes! They're hard to find here. Usually if I go to Whole Foods in Orlando or Fresh Market locally I can find a couple at a time. It is one of our all time favorites! I cook them as you do ~ sliced into rings, remove any seeds and bake in the oven for a few minutes. They cook fast because you slice them. I usually give a light coating of olive oil and season with just s&p so we don't even need any butter.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a pork chop, and a garden salad.
Watermelon for dessert.

Farms all around us within 1 mile. Farm stands from 1 to 5 miles.
The Auction Co-Op in town. Eggs / Livestock
NJ was known as the Garden State. I guess now it is the Tax You Heavy $tate.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Geesh! What a day!

Lyn got "The Call" from Hospice this morning about her 101 year old dad in Cleveland. They wanted to be sure Lyn & her sisters had the opportunity to be with their dad ~ estimating 24 - 72 hours left.

So, she called & got a flight out of Orlando to arrive tonight.....and, of course, Bill insisted on getting his shingles shot yesterday, even though he hasn't been feeling well, and he was sick as a dog all night.

But she got everything she needs packed & I drove her to the airport. She asked me to stop on the way back and get some eggs for him to cook as she knew she was down to just a couple and didn't know if he'd have the strength to go out....

When I got home I had some chicken fingers marinating in buttermilk & sriracha so I pressed them in some panko & browned them, reheated some butternut squash & boiled some beans....supper!

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 09_11_12

cookingirl likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I didn't know the shingles vaccine made you sick. What did it do to him?

Cookin Lore

I had no after effects from the shingles vaccine.

No cooking again today. Busy day, I had cottage cheese and a local nectarine and a couple of plums on top for breakfast, then went to visit my sister, then for a haircut, then home for some cheese and crackers for lunch, then a pedicure, then to visit my son and DIL who were going out for supper. Went with them but wasn't very hungry, so I just had a mushroom skillet appetizer and a beer. Son invested a bit of money in a local craft brewery, so we went to a place that serves their beer. Beer is good, the mushroom skillet was just OK, mushrooms were sauteed in a white wine sauce, then parmesan cheese on top. Parmesan overpowered the mushrooms. It's always a good day when I can spend time with my children. Tomorrow's dinner may be better. He's going fishing so maybe fresh fish.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Chili, and of course... a Yoo Hoo chocolate drink.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 4 Img_2012

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice saturday cool day today. It's 66 F and breezy.
40's tonight. Love it.
No clue what is for supper yet! I had an omelet with cheese, and chopped scallions. Had a English muffin toasted with only one pat of butter.

Tomorrow, the kids will all be here. Tina has a turkey breast thawing in ice water.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got vegetables at the ready for a pork stir fry.....I got some lovely baby bok choy at the Oriental Market on Thursday ~ SUPER FRESH ~ and I'm debating on adding it to the stir fry pot or cooking it on it's own.....leaning towards doing it alone as a side to the rest.....

I'll make some basmati rice to go with it.

Cookin Lore

Fishing son came back from Lake Erie, minus fish! They were hiding, so it's plan B for me. I bought a pork roast a couple of days ago thinking I could cut it into smaller portions, maybe schnitzels. OOOOOPs, there's a big bone in it, so, that's what in my oven now, a pork roast, good thing I had sauerkraut. So, it's roast pork and sauerkraut tonight, and tomorrow, and the day after and...................LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Fishing son came back from Lake Erie, minus fish!  They were hiding, so it's plan B for me.  I bought a pork roast a couple of days ago thinking I could cut it into smaller portions, maybe schnitzels.  OOOOOPs, there's a big bone in it, so, that's what in my oven now, a pork roast, good thing I had sauerkraut.  So, it's roast pork and sauerkraut tonight, and tomorrow, and the day after and...................LOL

If I had pork & sauerkraut I'd have to make spaetzle.....my family is SO spoiled! Personally, I prefer simple boiled potatoes to spoon it all over but that's never good enough for them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum