Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:They are my dishes that she has used.
She doesn't usually bring them down - we have to collect them because we have run out of forks or glasses. So, we usually have to do them. If she does bring dishes down she says that she will do them but that never happens. Joe usually does them. We now understand why her house was condemned. Yes, the city red tagged it. One of her neighbors got a peek in a window and called the city on her. They came out, went inside and slapped a red tag on the door. They carted her off because she threatened to kill herself. Her brother and his wife came down from Washington, rented a dumpster, and cleaned out the trash. Some good stuff got tossed which is why she freaks out if we touch anything of hers. After they left, Joe and I came over and tore out her carpet. It was white and covered with urine and poop and it took 3 days to get the stink out our noses. The dogs and cats just continued to piss and shit on the concrete and furniture. We came over again and tossed her couch, a mattress and anything else that couldn't be saved. She should never, ever live alone. She needs someone to keep her mess under control and to take care of her when she has narcolepsy episode. I can't toss her out on the street. As miserable as I am, I just can't do it.

Oh dear! I can't imagine living like that. But, I have seen enough "Hoarders" episodes to realize this is a serious problem. I have no solution, other than perhaps as far as the dishes go, can you just make disposable ones available so you don't runout? That is, of course, only a bandaid solution. Good luck.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boston Market is cooking tonight.
Meatloaf and sweet potatoes. Tina is on way home from Dr.
Her uncles Dentist. He's 98, and gettin new top teeth, so he an eat steak, and corn on the cob. God Bless him.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Lore. There really is no solution other than for us to keep on top of it. You can tell these people that they have a problem but they don't care. It is a mental illness and they have no desire to fight it.

There is joy in madness.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make some crispy chicken thighs tonight.....julienned zucchini and made some fresh corn off the cob.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 9 09_24_11

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 9 20200919

I still had tomato and green beans from the farmers market so we had those with a ribeye steak. I had potato done in the microwave and Charlie had mac & cheese

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ribeye is my favorite! The flavor is so much 'beef-ier' than so many steaks now. YUM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ribeye is my favorite!  The flavor is so much 'beef-ier' than so many steaks now.  YUM!

I said to Tina..... "I want to bite into a steak, and taste Iron!"
I don't like marinades from Angelo's Italian kitchen, that smells like Angelina's stinky black stockings.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm going to the fish market in Homosassa today. Tomorrow is (yet another) crab leg dinner, compliments of neighbor Jim, so I want to get some really good salmon for Dane. And it'll give me a chance to stock up on some grouper. They sell the grouper already frozen so all I have to do is toss it in my ice filled cooler for the drive home and then into the freezer here until I want to cook it.

I'm hoping to find something interesting for tonight's supper.....maybe some fresh gulf shrimp. We'll see......

Bugster2

Bugster2

Even when I lived at the beach there weren't any fish markets. I used to have to drive to the Asian market to buy fresh seafood. They had tanks full of live seafood. You are very fortunate. I don't trust "Fresh" seafood from the store other than from Costco. What they consider fresh is at least 5 days old. Yuck! Way too risky.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My hour drive to Homosassa and an hour back was worth every minute! I have enough fish in my freezer for a bunch of meals. Everything looks ~ and smells ~ super fresh. This time the grouper they had was fresh, not frozen, so I was able to cut it into serving size pieces to wrap & freeze. This time they had black grouper ~ and it must have been HUGE....the fish is about 2" thick. I got fresh Scottish salmon (sushi grade they say) for Dane. He'll be in hog heaven, for sure!

I only bought 2 lbs. of the Key West shrimp, wanting to give it a try tonight to know if I should buy more next time.....and it was really good and fresh tasting, even coming frozen. They said it was 16-18 count. We had a pound tonight and ended up with 13 big ones. I used just iced soda water and then a purchased seafood dredge ~ it was the only thing I could find that was mainly corn flour with a bit of seasoning. I don't care for heavy breading ~ just shake off the water, a quick dredge and then fry in a neutral oil.

I made some green beans and a lightly dressed napa cabbage slaw to go with the shrimp.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 9 09_25_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lasagna and Fried finger meatballs.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 9 Img_2019

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 9 Img_2020

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

No cooking, just assembling for me again today. I have a lot of salad stuff in the fridge, so that was my dinner............... one of those small cucumbers, some little grape tomatoes, red onion, radish, parsley, romaine lettuce, red pepper, feta cheese and all topped with the last of my container or marinated seafoods. Small octopus, shrimp, cuttlefish, squid in a tangy oil base. Seafood is enough of a dressing, I just add a little more salt and pepper. I have a friend who, when I told her I like Octopus, said "There's not enough money or booze in the world to make me try that." Think of what she's missing. LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I grilled a tri tip yesterday and we had leftovers in a sandwich.

Cookin Lore

I had to look up what a tri tip is. Sounds awesome. I think I am going to buy a really, really nice steak and take it to my son's house to do it on his grill. Doing it in the house is just not the same.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Tri tip is a west coast thing. It is really good cooked over an oak fire. Before Covid, San Luis Obispo, CA would close down their main street and have a street party with all kinds of food but the main thing was the tri tip. It is a chewy cut, triangle shaped and best sliced thin against the grain. Rare or medium rare is best.

NormM

NormM

I first had tri-tip at Pismo Beach about 18 years ago. I only had heard about a few years before.  This is the story I read back then.

"Mexican cowboys and workers in the Santa Maria region would get the less desirable parts of the cattle, including the bottom sirloin, and they were the ones who figured out how to grill it quickly and slice it thin against the grain for tender, juicy bites of perfectly seasoned meat."

Whether or not it is a true story or a fanciful story I don't know but if you look up Santa Maria tri-tip, you can get some recipes.  At the time I thought it strange that I live in Kansas and never heard of that cut of meat but about ten years ago, it started showing up in grocery stores. It is just different cut that, outside of California, wasn't a separate cut. It is cooked like a London Broil but usually seasoned differently. They probably started offering it outside of California when they realized that people would pay more for it that way LOL

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know there are 100's of videos of meat prep on youtube.....I found one that was made to specifically show how they find the tri tip on a steer carcass. I thought it was interesting that the butcher in this video is using (what I think I recognize) a Victorinox 5" boning knife, one of the two knives I recently purchased and LOVE.

If you're not a fan of seeing recognizable sides of beef being cut down into usable size pieces, don't click on this link. Personally, this is what I grew up watching when I was a kid so I think it's interesting.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-Lkry-SF3&hsimp=yhs-SF3&hspart=Lkry&p=tri+tip+on+carcass#id=1&vid=9816b87a1ede50f7eae32f4ff184cbdb&action=click

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote: and I forgot how to sing the song, on a "Sesame Seed Bun!"

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

OK, so now try to get that outta your head for the rest of the day......

Hahahahahahaha

(you sang it in your head as you read it, didn't you?)

I worked at McDonald’s corporate office for 15 years. I was in IT. Our computer paper had the slogan du jour at the top. That stuff used to run thru our brain constantly. I think the two all beef patties one will run Thru our heads until we leave this earth.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I know there are 100's of videos of meat prep on youtube.....I found one that was made to specifically show how they find the tri tip on a steer carcass.  I thought it was interesting that the butcher in this video is using (what I think I recognize) a Victorinox 5" boning knife, one of the two knives I recently purchased and LOVE.

If you're not a fan of seeing recognizable sides of beef being cut down into usable size pieces, don't click on this link.  Personally, this is what I grew up watching when I was a kid so I think it's interesting.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-Lkry-SF3&hsimp=yhs-SF3&hspart=Lkry&p=tri+tip+on+carcass#id=1&vid=9816b87a1ede50f7eae32f4ff184cbdb&action=click

One of our German B&B guests had a T-bone steak done med. rare on our firepit about 20 years ago. He was so thrilled, he asked me to explain exactly where in the animal it came from. He said that in Germany the only steaks that they were using were boneless. I think he meant they were using round. I had a cookbook which had a picture of the animal and all the cuts identified. I ripped the page out of the book for him, he said he was going to show it to his butcher and ask for that cut! I also found (years ago) that Germans did not have the concept of med rare when grilling. We converted quite a few of them to med rare! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks for the video Beth. I found from another video on the page that you cut the meat in two different directions. Next time I cook one I will remember that. I also saw that the butcher shop is in San Diego, about an hour from me. Perhaps I can go to the shop some day.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs, I don't know when that video was produced. Before you make the trip you might want to do a search for a phone # and call to be sure they're still in business, open, etc.

Yes on the grain running in two directions.....much like a brisket. You always have to keep checking to be sure you don't have to turn the hunk 'o beef!

Lore ~ I'm sure your guests enjoyed every bite of what came off that fire pit. But I understand many not growing up with under cooked meats. I think most of our ancestors grew up 'cooking-it-to-death' because of fear of food poisoning.

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:I had to look up what a tri tip is.  Sounds awesome.  I think I am going to buy a really, really nice steak and take it to my son's house to do it on his grill.  Doing it in the house is just not the same.  

I had never heard of,it until I moved out west. Now I see it’s available in Chicago where I’m from it’s delicious. If you see it, buy it

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Lore ~ I'm sure your guests enjoyed every bite of what came off that fire pit.  But I understand many not growing up with under cooked meats.  I think most of our ancestors grew up 'cooking-it-to-death' because of fear of food poisoning.  

Yes, my mother-in-law wanted me to boil asparagus for 30 minutes! LOL But, as far as beef and Germans goes, they are very fond of beef tartare! It is on the menu of any upscale restaurant.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is King Crab night....AGAIN. I told Jim he's spoiling me.....it's no longer a 'special occasion' meal (i.e. once a year) ~ he buys it twice a month just because he likes it so much. I feel guilty because it's so terribly expensive but I don't think that's anything that concerns Jim.

Normally I'd just make baked potatoes but decided to try something a little different. I'm making a sort of scalloped potato casserole. I cut my potatoes in a large julienne, added some chopped onion and then stirred in a white sauce, topped it all with a package of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. I hope it comes out tasty. If not ~ oh, well.....back to the drawing board!

Dane doesn't like to mess around with the crab, even this beautiful BIG legs that are pre-scored to open easily. He's getting some salmon, which is one of his favorites.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Bugs, I don't know when that video was produced.  Before you make the trip you might want to do a search for a phone # and call to be sure they're still in business, open, etc.

Yes on the grain running in two directions.....much like a brisket.  You always have to keep checking to be sure you don't have to turn the hunk 'o beef!

Lore ~ I'm sure your guests enjoyed every bite of what came off that fire pit.  But I understand many not growing up with under cooked meats.  I think most of our ancestors grew up 'cooking-it-to-death' because of fear of food poisoning.  

The way he was cutting one portion looked to me that he was cutting with the grain. My tri tips may vary slightly in the two sections but I have never cut mine lengthwise like he did. It would be wrong with the cuts I get at the store.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum