Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Can't have enough butter Jimmy!

Been working on trying to get my husband's body oil out of the sheets. It is like Cosmolene. While I was checking out the spelling I saw that they actually make a cosmolene remover. If my method fails, then I think I will try that.

By the way, is there a spell check on this site?

New York strip steaks with a baked potato and a wedge salad tonight.

Supposed to get into the triple digits this weekend. I guess I might just have to go in the pool.

Niagara Visitor

I just finished a delicious lunch of some more of my sons' catch of Lake Erie Bass. Lunch today instead of supper. My next door neighbour in the building moved last week, darn it all. But, she's got a new fellow and is happy. And she had some stuff that at the end didn't fit into her car, so I have had it at my place. She came to pick it up, so we had lunch. I also made a rice salad with tomatoes, peppers, chick peas, onions, parsley and a balsamic dressing. Sliced heirloom tomato with onions and feta cheese. Mango ice cream for dessert.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's always fun to have a friend stop for a quick meal!

I'm back to cooking 'by request'. Dane, Robin & Jake got in at about 1:30 a.m. ~ super long, miserable drive. Everyone slept in, thank heavens. Not a lot going on today.

Jake asked for the Korean BBQ on pork tenderloin and fried zucchini. I added some jasmine rice and a salad for the rest of us (Jake likes the rice but not the salad ~ doesn't like any raw vegetables or fruit).

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 3 07_08_11

Niagara Visitor

I met the new neighbour.  He's 70ish, a batchelor, seems nice, but definitely not like Lisa with whom I've shared a bottle of wine with both of us in our jammies.  Our condos are next to each other, we share a bedroom wall!

Lisa was here again today.  When she moved on Thursday, she had a bunch of stuff to take in her car, ran out of space, so I've had it here.  She came for lunch, I made some of the Lake Erie Bass from my fishing son, a rice salad and we had mango ice cream for dessert.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had corn on the cob. OK taste from South Jersey. Today was the first North Jersey corn.
That will be for tomorrow.
Tina had Shackshuka. I chopped the onions and tomatoes for her, and she cooked and seasoned it.

Niagara Visitor

What is Shackshuka?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:What is Shackshuka?

It's a Middle East dish .....fried onions and chopped fried tomatoes, with eggs fried with it when the liquid is reduced. Like a frittata basically.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe got an estimate of $27,000 for dental work. I almost passed out. Looks like we will drive an hour to Loma Linda University's dental school and get an estimate there. They have students work on you but they are supervised by teachers and they have reduced fees. My sister also said there is a huge clinic across the boarder in Mexico that is state of the art where all the Americans go. That is the last resort. I would prefer we stay in the states. Medicare covers our basic dental but doesn't cover what Joe needs.
We are going to the movies for the first time in a year to see "Yesterday" then maybe a small dinner at the Lazy Dog Cafe. I can't eat their food but I can watch Joe and Katie eat. Maybe there is something on the menu that isn't seasoned.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Joe got an estimate of $27,000 for dental work. I almost passed out. Looks like we will drive an hour to Loma Linda University's dental school and get an estimate there. They have students work on you but they are supervised by teachers and they have reduced fees. My sister also said there is a huge clinic across the boarder in Mexico that is state of the art where all the Americans go. That is the last resort. I would prefer we stay in the states. Medicare covers our basic dental but doesn't cover what Joe needs.
We are going to the movies for the first time in a year to see "Yesterday" then maybe a small dinner at the Lazy Dog Cafe. I can't eat their food but I can watch Joe and Katie eat. Maybe there is something on the menu that isn't seasoned.

Wow!.... 27000? that's a hump and a half. No

Bugster2

Bugster2

You're telling me. We will see what Loma Linda says.

JanaAZ

M
Bugster2 wrote:Joe got an estimate of $27,000 for dental work. I almost passed out. Looks like we will drive an hour to Loma Linda University's dental school and get an estimate there. They have students work on you but they are supervised by teachers and they have reduced fees. My sister also said there is a huge clinic across the boarder in Mexico that is state of the art where all the Americans go. That is the last resort. I would prefer we stay in the states. Medicare covers our basic dental but doesn't cover what Joe needs.
A lot of people in Arizona  go to dental clinic in Los algadones which is right over the border  from Yuma. It’s supposed to be really good. I can’t remember the name but you can google it.

Niagara Visitor

$27,000 WOW, that's twice what our first house cost in 1965! LOL A friend of mine who lives in British Columbia winters in California. She had extensive dental work done in Mexico two years ago. She's very happy, said the offices were top notch and prices cheap.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:

$27,000 WOW, that's twice what our first house cost in 1965! LOL  A  friend of mine who lives in British Columbia winters in California.  She had extensive dental work done in Mexico two years ago.  She's very happy, said the offices were top notch and prices cheap.

That is what my sister's friend says. Her husband goes down there for his work. It is at least two hours away but we might just have to do the trips.

Niagara Visitor

Flatbreads seem to be on every restaurant menu these days, so I tried my hand at making one. Well, I made two. Bought the breads in the grocery store, sauteed a Videlia onion, some brown mushrooms, added a bunch if fresh parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, had a few small tomatoes, I had some left over pork tenderloin, so I sliced that up. Put some Swiss cheese on the bread, then piled the veggie and meat mixture on top of that. Added some feta cheese to the top, as well as some spicy/sweet jalapeno chutney I had. Delicious.

I finished half of one, the other half is supper tonight. The second bread will go to my sister's later today.

Bugster2

Bugster2

The cat threw up all over my white couch so I spent the morning taking off the slipcover, soaking it in BIZ in the bathtub (can't use the washer when Katie is asleep because the washer backs right up against her bedroom wall). I rinsed it and now I have it draped outside drying. It seems like all I do is clean up cat barf.
We had a country breakfast this morning: bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast. If Joe is hungray at dinner, he will have a leftover steak sandwich.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight Jake asked for salmon. Easy Peasey! No complaints from Grandma (especially since she doesn't eat salmon I just had to cook it for Jake and Grandpa!)

I cooked it on the gas grill on a grill mat. No smell or mess in the house.....fabulous. The potatoes, as usual, got pre-cooked in the microwave and then dried and crisped a bit on the rack on the hot grill. I told the fish monger I needed salmon for two and he asked, "a pound?" and I said, no, better make it closer to a pound and a half. I ended up with just over a pound and a third ~ and it was just the right amount for the two of them. That child can eat fish! He had no problem being sure it all got finished up with his baked potato & broccoli. Robin doesn't care for fish of any kind so it was easy for us to have dinner salads with chopped ham & hard cooked eggs for our protein. Everyone was satisfied at the end of the meal.

Salmon on the grill mat:

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 3 07_10_11

Robin's dinner salad:

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 3 07_10_12

Jake's dinner:

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 3 07_10_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tripped today and may have broken my hand. I will see how it looks tomorrow. Dang thing won't stop hurting. No cooking for me tonight.

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I tripped today and may have broken my hand. I will see how it looks tomorrow. Dang thing won't stop hurting. No cooking for me tonight.

Oh, no! take care of yourself. I have had too many broken bones. Get medical advice sooner than later!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I put a splint on it and will go to urgent care tomorrow an get an x-ray. it is my right hand and it will make things difficult for a while.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:The cat threw up all over my white couch so I spent the morning taking off the slipcover, soaking it in BIZ in the bathtub (can't use the washer when Katie is asleep because the washer backs right up against her bedroom wall). I rinsed it and now I have it draped outside drying. It seems like all I do is clean up cat barf.

Gag!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Tonight Jake asked for salmon.  Easy Peasey!  No complaints from Grandma (especially since she doesn't eat salmon I just had to cook it for Jake and Grandpa!)

I cooked it on the gas grill on a grill mat.  No smell or mess in the house.....fabulous.  

Salmon on the grill mat:

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 3 07_10_11

Love those grill mats, Beth!

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 3 2876911673

Last edited by Crybaby on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

Forgot to tell you the salmon looked good, too. How I wish Brian ate seafood...

Glad Robin and "the boy" are there visiting. You're going to have to aggravate the boy and catch them both in a photo for your old fogy friends here!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Well, I broke 2 bones in my hand. I think I won't be doing much cooking for a while.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Brian got his third dose of chemo last Friday. Test showed the first two doses did nothing and his PSA went up quite a bit. So they upped the dose of chemo they gave him on Friday and told him to expect to be sicker.

He still has his hair but it's all white now instead of grey, dark grey and silver like it was before. It's thinner since but it's still there. He asked me to trim it yesterday after he canceled his hair cut appointment when the weather was horrible -- a storm brought 8 to 12 inches of rain to N.O. in 3 hours, and our pumps can't handle but 2 inches the first hour and a half-inch each hour after that. Flooding all over parts of the city but fine here (yayyyyy)!! I reminded him that I trimmed his hair about 25 years ago when he begged me. It looked fine but he complained about it and criticized it for a week. Back then I told him not to ask me again. So yesterday I reminded him that he complained unmercifully about it the last time I did it. He said, "It didn't look that bad if I remember right so please come trim it for me." I replied, "Oh, I KNOW it didn't look that bad but you acted like I'd cut a swastika into the side of your head and I still remember how long you complained. The answer is still no." He started to play the cancer card and I told him that wouldn't work either before he got the words out of his mouth!

We both ended up laughing a lot and the idiot thought now that I was all giggly that he could change my mind. Laughed out loud and said surely he hadn't learned a thing in 40 years. The answer was still no!

He's worried his hair will all fall out because he said his head isn't shaped good enough to look good bald. He even showed me how he could pull a handful of hair out easily. I told him to stop doing that if he was so darn worried, and reminded him hair will grow back to which he responded, "Maybe YOURS will but I'll bet mine won't." Laughed and told him to be glad he's got me as I couldn't care less what his hair looks like now although I would've certainly dumped him years ago!!. I still have long hair and he said if he could have half of the hair that he sees in my hairbrush every time I wash and dry my hair, he'd be fine! I said I wouldn't cut his hair but I'd be willing to glue some of my hairbrush hair onto his head. Go figure he wasn't interested.

He hasn't been the easiest person to get along with lately -- grouchy as all get out. Also, without him helping around here, I have to do everything so it's hard on me with my back pain. I think he finally realized it's no picnic for either of us.

He switched from using 2 canes to walk to crutches today. I'm ordering a walker (called a rollator) that's made for people up to 6'5" today. He said he'd use it if I bought it because if you saw him walking, you'd swear he was going to go crashing down any second and break a hip. The guy that mows our lawn (he's a Black dude probably in his late 40s) watched him walk, laughed and said, "Man, you a hot mess!" So Brian now likes that moniker. He laughs every time I tell him he's a hot mess!

I'm not complaining because he's still here and we still have a sense of humor. Some days that's all we seem to have....

Miss you guys.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Well, I broke 2 bones in my hand. I think I won't be doing much cooking for a while.

Sorry to heat that, Debbie. Get Katie to start helping!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum