Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

NormM

NormM

Thank you Beth and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

FYI: Most people don't know about this tip. I learned it from my father. If you get stung by a bee, put ammonia (the no-suds kind) on it immediately. It neutralizes the venom, killing the pain. It doesn't work if you wait too long. My calf is swollen and the fluid has dropped down to my ankle, but the ammonia killed the pain immediately and reduced my itching. I'll live LOL.

We are gong to get hit with heat and humidity this week. Over 100 all week long. At least we have air. This house we bought came with paid for solar. I was curious as to what my yearly bill would be. It came to a little over $600 for the year. That was terrific. I am not sure if I would have bought it though. The cost would take years to pay off.

I have to force myself to go food shopping today. We are out of everything. What a PITA.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Norm!

No cooking for me today. We'll go out to a place called 'The Fish Camp' about half an hour drive from us. I've heard good things about it. We'll see....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Thanks, Norm!

No cooking for me today.  We'll go out to a place called 'The Fish Camp' about half an hour drive from us.  I've heard good things about it.  We'll see....

Enjoy the day, and meal.....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Beth.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Jimmy!

NormM

NormM

I have cooked the chicken fried steak but am waiting for Charlie to finish work to eat.  I thought it was taking a little long to brown so turned it up a little when I flipped it and the coating came off. I will not try that again but it looks delicious. PS. Charlie said it was pretty good and definitely worth making again

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 7 20190725

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You won't believe it. I cooked the turkey breast in a cast pot, and DD made tater tots.
Tina stopped at KFC and brought home mashed potatoes and coleslaw, and gravy.
In the meantime, DD is cooking 8 burgers. All the kids are here....
All I can say, is, they better eat....
OOooops! .... forgot....corn on the cob too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I have cooked the chicken fried steak but am waiting for Charlie to finish work to eat.  I thought it was taking a little long to brown so turned it up a little when I flipped it and the coating came off. I will not try that again but it looks delicious. PS. Charlie said it was pretty good and definitely worth making again

It looks good enough for me! It is definately one of those 'practice-makes-perfect' pan fried wonders. I don't like the kind that are deep fried, but there's a knack to getting it browned & crispy and not have the flour coating stick and pull off. Of course, if that happens I just take the opportunity to eat the evidence when I'm at the stove! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I chose a restaurant to go to tonight for my birthday dinner. Fish Camp Restaurant. We've not been there before but I've seen it as I was driving past. A small local place ~ had decent reviews.

Well, I won't be going back. The steamed clams were good for an appetizer and I ordered a fish 'trio', Maryland Crab Cake, Grilled Shrimp & Grilled Grouper. I figured since it was a 'featured' entree it should be a good bet.

The grouper was just OK, not great, not bad.....but the shrimp weren't cooked through (how can you NOT cook shrimp completely opaque?....and the crab cake was crisp on the outside but cool to cold on the inside. I sent the shrimp & crab back to the kitchen. It returned hot but by then I was a bit wary of it.

Dane had salmon and said it was good.

I should have stayed home and cooked myself a great dinner!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sorry about your dinner Beth. Ihope the rest of the evening is better. Have a happy birthday anyway.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Bugs. This too shall pass and I'll find something that passes for a great birthday dinner. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I drove to the airport to pick up Jeanie who was returning from her home state of Minnesota where she had gone for a 'Celebration of Life' ceremony for her husband.  I'm sure it must have been very wearing on her as it's been just less than a month since he passed.  But she's happy to be home and is looking forward to getting some rest and her house in order after having a bunch of relatives camping out in her bedrooms, living room and lanai.

Supper tonight was easy and quick ~ grilled Johnsonville brats with some sauteed onions and peppers.  Dane had his on a bun with the reheated leftover mashed potatoes.  I just went with a brat and onions/peppers.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 7 07_23_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a ham and cheese on rye, with mayo. DD cooked spaghetti c
Chinese noodles, and I had a small taste. Yuck! She doesn't salt the water to cut her sodium intake.

I'm hungry now.... Maybe I will have a leftover burger from yesterday. If I find it.

BTW..... Maria was cooking the corn in the husks; in the microwave, and one right after the other.
It overheated the top of the micro. I told them, it was just over used. 3- 1/2 minutes per cob.
Times 10 corns = 35 minutes.
Well.....they panicked and want a new one. It will be here tomorrow. Amazon
I used the micro, and it worked fine for me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was a rainy day and I put off going to the store until late afternoon....in hopes the rain would let up. It didn't quit entirely but I didn't get soaked.

I am always amazed that two people can 'need' $170 of groceries, and not really get any meat or paper products or laundry soap. It was just stuff that both of us had jotted down on the grocery list. And, of course, why in the world would I TAKE the darn list with me??? No, it's much more fun to try to remember everything on it by memory ~ and then call home and ask, "would you please read off the grocery list for me?" ~ ~ ~ And then listen to HIM laugh out loud. ((sigh))

To my credit, with about 25 things listed I only forgot 4 of HIS wants. But I ended up back tracking and picking everything up.

So now I'm pooped and in no mood to cook anything. So we'll go out for a bite to eat. It's either that or a bag of popcorn....

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wonder the same thing Beth about the cost of groceries. I remember my mother spending $25 a week to feed a family of 5.

It hit 104 today so I think I will throw some burgers on the grill. I don't have too much trouble with those except for slicing tomatoes.

Still waiting on a cast. It was supposed to be put on ASAP (within 7 days) but it didn't happen. The authorization got screwed up. I went back in for more X-rays to see if my bones have shfted. Still waiting for the authorization. My BIL says I may need surgery or worse, lose hand function. He is a doctor and wants me to file complaint with the Calif med board.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had diner food today. Tina stopped, on way back from another doctor, at the Alexis Diner in Denville, and brought me a 2 breaded pork chops with mashed and corn. She had meatloaf.
DD just got home from work, and she is in a hornet mood.......

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I wonder the same thing Beth about the cost of groceries.  I remember my mother spending $25 a week to feed a family of 5.

It hit 104 today so I think I will throw some burgers on the grill. I don't have too much trouble with those except for slicing tomatoes.

Still waiting on a cast. It was supposed to be put on ASAP (within 7 days) but it didn't happen. The authorization got screwed up. I went back in for more X-rays to see if my bones have shfted. Still waiting for the authorization. My BIL says I may need surgery or worse, lose hand function. He is a doctor and wants me to file complaint with the Calif med board.

That cast / restraint, should be put on, or they will not get the bones to heal properly.
What a shame... Feel better Debbie!
No

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was looking for inspiration for some way to cook some chicken thighs so I scrolled through the allrecipes.com site. One caught my eye....said to have come from a co-worker and the easiest recipe ever. Hey, sounds right up my alley!

I don't usually use things like canned soup or dry mixes (except, of course, Bev's Famous Crock Pot Roast.....) but for some reason this recipe sounded like something we might enjoy.

And it is simple enough ~ Chicken Thighs, with or without bone, 1 c. Orange Juice, 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce, an envelope of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix and a tsp. of Garlic Powder. Thighs in a casserole, mix the ingredients and pour over. Bake at 350° 1-1/2 hour for bone-in thighs and 1 hour for boneless.

I'm going to have it with some Basmati rice and some green beans. We'll see if it's a keeper or not.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I tasted the sauce on the chicken when it was about 3/4 done and thought it was kind of bland so I added a spoonful of Orange Marmalade to the top of each boneless thigh and spooned sauce over to melt it a bit. I'll probably do it again as it was very tender and pretty tasty. The Basmati rice is always good ~ love the long grain and how it's fluffy. The beans got some of the Penzey seasoning and butter.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 7 07_25_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I tasted the sauce on the chicken when it was about 3/4 done and thought it was kind of bland so I added a spoonful of Orange Marmalade to the top of each boneless thigh and spooned sauce over to melt it a bit.  I'll probably do it again as it was very tender and pretty tasty.  The Basmati rice is always good ~ love the long grain and how it's fluffy.  The beans got some of the Penzey seasoning and butter.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 7 07_25_15

What a way to go!
 July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 7 3593629538

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was Dr. day for me. Supper was simple for me to cook.
Kidney beans and fried onions with shells macaroni. Look how cute they sometimes spoon with each other. I love the bite texture when they spoon. A triple spoon is even better.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 7 Img_1522

bethk

bethk
Admin

At first glance I thought you had shells and Kalmata olives....which sounds good to me! Makes me want to try a shell ~ bean ~ Kalmata dish for supper some night!

Niagara Visitor

Nor any cooking going on in my hoae lately. And, basically no eating. I had a medical procedure one last week a biliary drain installed into my liver, which has left me very nauseated. I can't eat. Have to have a nurse come into the condo daily to change the dressing. I have a gallstone in the bile duct which has to be removed. They tried to remove it 3 times with an endoscope. No luck. In another week, the doctor will be going through that drain with a hook to get that sucker out. Leaving it in, is NOT an option.

It has not been fun. I was told there would be minimal "discomfort" and I have had A GREAT DEAL OF PAIN. 24/7.

I'm ging to make some scrambled eggs as a test if I can keep them down.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, Lore....prayers your suffering is soon over.

I can't believe having a surgical procedure would come with 'minimal discomfort' advice ~ any time they poke, prod, slice or dice it HURTS!

Hope it's over soon.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A speedy recovery Lore. Can't they get you in sooner? I hate when they make a patient wait. Our prayers are with you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum