Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I can't believe it's July already.... No
Time flies huh? Anyway, I will break out a can of sauerkraut, and cook hot dogs with it. Some baked beans on the side, and I would call it Supper.
The heat wave is gone, and humidity is low. The windows are open and it's nice and breezy.

I know the 4th of july is Thursday, and most people have to work the Friday after. What I would do, is declare the First Friday of the month in July to be Independence Day Weekend. That way, it will be a 3 day holiday for all.
Unless it's mandatory that one must work that day. pale No

Niagara Visitor

I think these significant holidays should be moved to either a Friday or Monday instead of a certain date. Our Canada Day is today, July 1, so it makes for a great long weekend, but next year it will be on a Wednesday, breaking up a week.

I went to younger son's house yesterday he grilled sausages and corn, I made potato salad (again) DIL made delicious dessert. Seeing other son today. No fish to be had!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I made chicken salad from the leftover chicken I had. I think that was 4-days-of-chicken-in-a-row......way TOO MUCH CHICKEN!!!

Today I have a couple burgers thawing. I'm going to fire up a bit of charcoal because, even though the gas grill would be much easier to cook on I'm really looking forward to the char flavor. I talked to Jeanie and the last of her company left this morning so I asked her if she wanted to come down for a burger, nothing special but just not leaving her alone quite yet. She seemed thrilled with the invite and was happy with the choices of steamed cabbage and creamed corn to go with the burger.

So we'll both have company for supper!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Very nice of you, Beth!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, the spread you put out for Charlie and his buddies was amazing. I no longer have the stamina to do such a thing. Sad but true.

Looked delicious, too.

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is a party in the cul-de-sac for the fourth. I am making mini desserts in shot glasses. I bought some Oreo's and Rollo's for them and put them away in the cupboard. Joe found them and ate them without asking me. I will have to go back to the store to buy more. Nothing is safe from that man.

Tonight will be spring rolls.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's good ole Hot Dogs for supper. Nothing special.
I'm good for two ( and they are small by the way ).
DD had grilled shrimp, and a burger.

Tina had a chicken sandwich. It's like Jimmy's Diner over here!

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was nothing special, but I did get the charcoal lit and got the burgers done and the sweet potato crisp-ed a bit. We had a nice meal and Jeanie didn't have to deal with it on her own......yet.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  07_01_11

Niagara Visitor

Next door neighbour is moving on Thursday, so she's packing, packing, packing. No time for cooking so I tried something new for lunch today. I made some stuffed potatoes. They turned our really good. I used large Yukon Gold 'taters, baked them in the oven, hollowed them out, mashed that up with bacon, fried mushrooms and cheese. I took two over to her, she was soooo happy. I'm going to miss her.

She's starting a new chapter of her life with a new guy!

NormM

NormM

The name of this recipe was Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf. It is intended to be eaten on a hamburger bun with ranch dressing and lettuce.  We couldn't taste the cheese but as a hamburger, it was good.  July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  20190712
 July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  20190711
 July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  20190710

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, Lore, I had the same idea as you, kind of......

I didn't feel like cooking so I put a potato in the microwave to par-cook and finished it in the toaster oven. I didn't stuff it with anything but just added a bit of butter and s&p.

and that was supper.

Norm, that reminds me of your bacon wrapped meatloaf. Bacon always makes everything better!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Next door neighbour is moving on Thursday, so she's packing, packing, packing.  No time for cooking so I tried something new for lunch today.  I made some stuffed potatoes.  They turned our really good.  I used large Yukon Gold 'taters, baked them in the oven, hollowed them out, mashed that up with bacon, fried mushrooms and cheese.  I took two over to her, she was soooo happy.  I'm going to miss her.

Wow, good for her. I'm sure she'll miss you as well, Lore.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote: July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  20190710

It sure was pretty and you two put a dent in it for sure!

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I didn't feel like cooking so I put a potato in the microwave to par-cook and finished it in the toaster oven. I didn't stuff it with anything but just added a bit of butter and s&p.

Brian is dealing with some nausea since early afternoon so he's not having anything for dinner. I was thinking I was going to skip dinner but you reminded me I bought a couple of potatoes recently and have been dying for a baked potato lately.

I really wanted to cook it in the oven right on the grate but I know once I get downstairs, I'll just pop that sucker in the microwave and then wrap it in foil for a while. Then it's butter, s&p AND sour cream!  July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  4165659054

When's Dane due back home?

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:There is a party in the cul-de-sac for the fourth. I am making mini desserts in shot glasses.

You must have a lot of shot glasses!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

When's Dane due back home?

Dane and Jacob should be here the 9th or 10th.....not really sure. Maybe earlier. Since I'm not traveling with him (thank goodness!!) I figure he'll show up sometime this month. LOL

Tonight I'm taking a clue from Jimmy's playbook.....hot dogs. It sounds good. And I also took a page out of Lore's cookbook and made a small dish of potato salad. So supper's going to be heated in the toaster oven. It's miserably hot outside and I'm not going to fire up the gas grill OR the charcoal for two little hot dogs. They'll get just as charred if I leave them under the broiler long enough.

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Next door neighbour is moving on Thursday, so she's packing, packing, packing.  No time for cooking so I tried something new for lunch today.  I made some stuffed potatoes.  They turned our really good.  I used large Yukon Gold 'taters, baked them in the oven, hollowed them out, mashed that up with bacon, fried mushrooms and cheese.  I took two over to her, she was soooo happy.  I'm going to miss her.

She's younger than I, will be 60 in August, and this is a little scary for her. She was "burned" after a 30 year marriage turned sour, so she's a little gun shy. She said "Who's going to feed me when I move"? She's a nurse, and the way that we actually met, she was coming home after work one day and I asked her what she had planned for dinner............... "Some popcorn or a bowl of cereal" she said. So, I said that I had some chicken livers done with mushrooms, onions and peppers in a stirfry, and would she be willing to try them? She loved them, and took the leftovers home for lunch the next day.

Now, I think that anyone who is willing to try that at someone's house where you really don't know the people, has a lot of courage. She also thinks that my head cheese is food from the Gods!

She has felt that she has to reciprocate and paid the bill when we went out. I surely don't care, nor expect it, it's just great to cook something for someone who appreciates it, right?

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I'll let this be my Fourth of July meal.

Right on schedule, at 4:00, the rains started. Lasted a little over an hour. That's typical for Florida Summers. So I don't do much cooking out when it's hot.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  07_03_10

Niagara Visitor

ANy meal that has beans with it is great in my mind. It looks great for your 4th party!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth...Thanks for the hint about the charred hot dogs.
Ummmm! Charred hot dogs with onions and mustard, and Yoo Hoo chocolate drink to wash it down. Ummm!!!

DD made a pumpkin pie from scratch, and frozen pumpkin she pureed last fall from the yellow pumpkins. She also made a strawberry / blueberry crumb cake!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"Happy 4th Of July Everybody!"

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy 4th of July to you, too, Jimmy!

And since I don't have anyone here to cook for I'm going out for Chinese with a neighbor! I keep thinking of The Christmas Story movie when they all went out for Chinese after the dogs ate their turkey......not the same holiday but the same idea. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Debbie! How close were you to the earthquake? Hope all is good for you.

Niagara Visitor

Happy Independence Day to everyone. I hope you are all safe considering a quake in California.

I'm going to grill a NY strip steak for myself on my indoor grill, and have a whole bunch of our local asparagus. It's probably the last of it, 'cause asparagus doesn't like the heat that we have now.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

She's younger than I, will be 60 in August, and this is a little scary for her.  She was  "burned" after a 30 year marriage turned sour, so she's a little gun shy.  She said "Who's going to feed me when I move"?  She's a nurse, and the way that we actually met, she was coming home after work one day and I asked her what she had planned for dinner............... "Some popcorn or a bowl of cereal" she said.  So, I said that I had some chicken livers done with mushrooms, onions and peppers in a stirfry, and would she be willing to try them?  She loved them, and took the leftovers home for lunch the next day.  

Now, I think that anyone who is willing to try that at someone's house where you really don't know the people, has a lot of courage.  She also thinks that my head cheese is food from the Gods!

She has felt that she has to reciprocate and paid the bill when we went out.  I surely don't care, nor expect it, it's just great to cook something for someone who appreciates it, right?

I remember your mentioning her and your invite, Lore. I think that both the "inviter" and the "accepter" have a lot of courage! I'd have had to say, "I don't like chicken livers but can you please ask me again?"

Laughed that she said "who's gonna feed me?" -- she sounds great and I hope the new man in her life is as nice as she is.

I hope you get another neighbor you like, too, Lore. Nothing like food prepared by a good cook to make a new neighbor feel welcome, not to mention lucky!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum