Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

NormM

NormM

I could have Jimmy but I don't remember. I have made them a few times in the past several months. Charlie requests them sometimes.  I just found a larger press so I can make them bigger.  It is on order now.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm watching MasterChef right now.  I love watching, but I could not do a competition.  Have any of you here done cooking competitions?

Yep, back in 1993, Lore, I entered the N.O. newspaper's annual cooking contest. You could enter one recipe in each category. I'd just purchased some gorgeous Anaheim chile peppers and stuffed them one day with a stuffing base made from some of that garlic and herb spreadable cheese you see in the grocery. When I first made them, I jotted down what I did as I participated in a international cooking group on Fidonet (pre-Internet) and everyone liked "exact" recipes with measurements. So I entered that one in the appetizer category and a recipe for some veal chops I'd made with what I called a "double tomato" sauce -- canned whole San Marzano tomatoes and also some sun-dried tomatoes -- in the "main dish" category. Brian was on a no veal kick (he saw how they get "baby veal" and it ruined veal forever for him) and he said many dishes I make were ten times better than the ones I entered. (The next time I made the Anaheim chiles for him he insisted I'd changed the recipe from the first time I made it as he loved them.)

My Stuffed Anaheim Chile Peppers with Oregano Vinaigrette was one of three finalists in the appetizer category and I had to go to a cookoff at a local high school that had a giant room with several open little kitchen areas -- each had a sink and a stove! I shared my cooking space with another lady who was a hoot -- she made a chicken dish she named after Chicken Obidos, as she'd just come back from Portugal. She thought my appetizer was the only good dish there and swore I was going to win "best of show" besides the appetizer prize. The neat thing was that I did win the appetizer category (only $100) and got featured in their annual tabloid section they printed with the paper on Easter Sunday. The funny thing was the newspaper writers and photographers who were there really liked my appetizer told me all about the "weak categories" I should enter the following year. So I developed a recipe for just about each category all year and I was ready for the call for entries -- and the contest never happened again. The year I won was the very last year they had the contest!

I think I posted the recipe on here in Appetizers if you're interested. It's really good and the vinaigrette raises it up to a really nice level.

I also entered a "Souper Bowl" contest put on by the local public TV channel. The real Super Bowl was in N.O. that year and the contest was only for soup recipes. I entered two: my Smoked Red Bell Pepper Soup and and my Artichoke Bisque. Somehow I got the idea that tickets to the Super Bowl was the prize but found out I was incorrect and the "prize" was appearing on television. I was invited to go to the station as they were taping the three winners they selected making their soups live on the air. I did not want to go on live TV so they got a local chef/cooking teacher, Kevin Belton, to make my Artichoke Bisque on the show. Brian and I had met him before at annual SPCA fundraisers we'd purchase tickets for (my late sister was on the Board of the local SPCA); he was a kick as he's a fun-loving guy and makes Brian look small. He must be around 6'7" and really a BIG man, too. Well, anyway I turned on the show when it came on the Saturday before Super Bowl and there Kevin Belton was making my soup. He really liked it and said what a good cook I must be as I used dried thyme when beginning my soup but finished it up with fresh thyme when the show's "host" asked why the heck I used both! We were laughing as I was taking bows in the living room while the four of us watched it-- my cleaning lady and her grandchild were there with us watching the show, too. Dontrell, then about 15, said I could've done a much better job if I'd been on TV and we had such a good time watching and laughing. I have a tendency to occasionally let loose with a cuss word so they all laughed when I said at least Kevin didn't curse once! Now Kevin Belton has a cooking show on the PBS channel and I do believe it's shown all over the U.S. Here's a link to his show:

https://kevinbelton.wyes.org

The only prize I got for that win was a free spiral bound cookbook of all the recipes entered -- everyone but the three "winners" had to pay for the book. Laughed, as I still have it and STILL make both soup recipes I entered. Occasionally, I also make the Smoked Red Bell Pepper Soup but I haven't taken over using the smoker since Brian stopped. If anyone wants the Artichoke Bisque recipe, let me know and I'll post it!

Thanks for asking as it was fun taking a walk down memory lane. Laughing

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Years ago I was asked to enter a local chili cook-off competition but declined.  I have no desire whatsoever of ever entering a BBQ competition either. Those kind of things have no appeal to me.  I have had recipes published in magazines and newspapers but that is entirely a different thing.

Those BBQ competitions look really cutthroat to me, Norm. I wouldn't want to compete on one of those either!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I, too, love the chicken piccata ~ have also made it with pork tenderloin.  But, alas, Dane is NOT a fan of lemon anything.  Go figure ~ I have a successful Meyer Lemon Tree and HE doesn't like anything lemon.....((sigh))

I do remember Dane not liking lemon dishes, Beth. I also remember encouraging you to make something with lemon when he leaves town for his annual "I fix everything" home visits. Send him down here for a week; we'll keep him busy and you make some lemony dishes to enjoy while he's gone!

Does he also not like lemon desserts, Beth? We're gaga for lemon over here. Recently I got a lemon bundt cake from Walmart (we're still getting Walmart to deliver). It was really delicious and had a nice lemon glaze on top. The lady who cleans for me even asked Brian if she could have a piece as it was a good looking cake! I make a version of a Bacardi Rum Cake with walnuts but I often change it to a Lemon Limoncello Cake, where I use a lemon cake mix and replace the rum in both the cake and the glaze with limoncello. Boy, is it good!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane doesn't eat desserts...........some sort of weird "(I-Have-Self-Control) complex, I think.

Once in a great while he'll order a piece of cheesecake when we go out, but for the most part he's on the straight and narrow where his diet is concerned. I know it's because if he puts on any weight it really affects his breathing and his COPD, but it's discouraging for me since whenever anyone in the vicinity 'loses' weight, I FIND IT! LOL

NormM

NormM

We had Chicken and Fish and Chips. I used a beer batter. July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 20190723
 July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 20190724

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night we took Jake out to a Hibachi Grill, one of his favorites. It's always an entertaining meal when you get a clever chef.

This afternoon we delivered him to the airport for his flight home. Fortunately it wasn't crowded so we were able to stand and watch as he went through security (with no problems ~ PHEW!). When we got home I heated up some sloppy joes on toasted buns, steamed some broccoli in the microwave and made a quick coleslaw from cabbage and bottled Marzetti's Slaw Dressing.

Tomorrow I'll work at getting the house back into order. It's always nice to have your space put back into a normal chaos once the visitors vacate the premises.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Made personal pizza's with whole wheat pita breads. Nothing to write home about.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Dane doesn't eat desserts...........some sort of weird "(I-Have-Self-Control) complex, I think.

Once in a great while he'll order a piece of cheesecake when we go out, but for the most part he's on the straight and narrow where his diet is concerned.  I know it's because if he puts on any weight it really affects his breathing and his COPD, but it's discouraging for me since whenever anyone in the vicinity 'loses' weight, I FIND IT!  LOL

I laughed, as I've gained weight since trying to get Brian to gain. And I'm really watching myself now that we've both quit smoking (84 days today).

Though I'm not a dessert person like Brian is, I enjoy it when I have it. My late sister LIVED for dessert; when we'd go out to a restaurant, I'd watch her eyes when she opened the menu and sure enough, they'd go straight to the bottom right which is usually where the desserts were. Me? I'd rather have an appetizer and/or a soup with my entree (or a couple of appetizers in lieu of an entree) than dessert. But I'm always up for a taste of someone's dessert if they offer me one.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote: July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 20190721[/url]
I made empanadas .  Since I have not been able to locate frozen discos, I have to make them from scratch, so when I saw the tools shown and thought they would be a lot faster to make them. I should be old and wise enough to realize that there is always a catch.  But I am not wiser, just older.  The catch is that the press makes so small pieces that it takes a lot longer to make them.  It was easier to make one but I had to make close to 60 to use the dough.  In the past, making them by hand and bigger, I made a little over a dozen.

Wow -- they look divine, and I ADORE empanadas. I'll bet yours were delicious, Norm. Wish we all lived closer as it would've been fun for some of us to get together and help! You could always freeze some of them and then reheat in the oven when the occasion presents itself!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:That size press is just right for making Asian dumplings. That size is also perfect for making those empanadas for party food.

Mmm -- when's the party?! They sure do look good.

NormM

NormM

I found and ordered another press that makes bigger ones so I won't have to spend so much time making tiny ones.  I'll still be using this one if Charlie has a party and wants these.  I have a Dim Sum book and am looking at some of those. I can always freeze them for later.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, your beer batter looked like pictures in "how to" lessons -- beautiful AND delicious looking! I'd be the size of a house if I lived near you, as I'd make sure to stop by to see what you're cooking!

I really don't have any girlfriends who like to cook. One of them used to but swears she's "forgotten how."

Besides Brian, the only person I see regularly who loves to cook is my late sister's husband, Ed, the attorney. He just re-did their little galley kitchen and sent photos for me to see. They had two wall ovens that had both been broken FOR YEARS -- since before Katrina in 2005!!! He did a pretty good job designing the kitchen without Charlotte's help, I've got to say. He wants us to come over to see it in person and cook dinner for us so we should be going soon.

I sent him some of those silicone splatter cones (the ones that look like they're collars dogs wear to keep them from biting an area) for a kitchen-warming present. I told him they're great for keeping his brand new gas stove clean. They had a gas cooktop before with the two wall ovens; he took the ovens out of the wall to make room for more cabinets and just got a stove with an oven this time. He also brought the cabinets up to the high ceiling, putting a second set of smaller glass-fronted cabs with lights in them at the top. Looks really nice in the pictures!

It's a very "thin alley" kitchen and it would drive me crazy but when they bought this house back and renovated it into a triple, they took the smallest unit in the back and their first floor wasn't huge so they sacrificed kitchen space for living and dining space. After Katrina no insurers wanted to insure a triple so Ed opened up one of the huge apartments in the front so you can walk through to their unit -- so now it's a double and insured again!

He's a very good cook though he often needs a bit of help with seasoning. He's like me in that he likes to try making things for the first time. He'll literally eat anything and tops me on that, as he'll eat tripe, organ meat and other stuff I find undesirable. But he likes cooking for me as I eat just about anything, unlike my sister Charlotte and Brian.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I found and ordered another press that makes bigger ones so I won't have to spend so much time making tiny ones.  I'll still be using this one if Charlie has a party and wants these.  I have a Dim Sum book and am looking at some of those. I can always freeze them for later.

Love, love, love Dim Sum! Wish they had all Dim Sum restaurants here like they do in larger markets like NYC! Can't WAIT to see the ones you end up making, Norm.

NormM

NormM

If it wasn't so much mess to clean up, I'd probably fry more often.  As it is, I probably only do it a couple times a year but I have done it twice in two days this month.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Frying is such a mess and a pain to clean up.

Got stung by a bee of sorts this morning. Never did find the bee. I vacuumed the rug where I was sitting to make sure. I am now dealing with allerigic reaction of itching. It usually stops in a couple of hours.
I haven't been cooking 'cause of the hand. The others haven't done any cooking either. I have been trying to write with my left hand and found that I also write some letters backwards. My writing looks like someone with severe palsy is writing. This no right hand thing is going to drive me nuts. Still waiting for a letter from my inurance giving me permission to see an ortho to get a cast.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Geeze. Bugs ~ sucks to be you!  If it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all (and in your case that would be a very GOOD thing).  Hope things turn around for you soon.

I thawed some wings this morning.  I package them in meal size portions and wrap and stick in the freezer when I can find them on sale.  I cooked them in a foil pan on the gas grill until they were completely cooked, then browned them on the grates.  That way the fat is already rendered off and I don't get flare ups.  Then I smush 'em around in some sauce in a big bowl and back on the grates for a final sear on the glaze.

Made some boiled potatoes and (my favorite) peas & carrots to go with 'em.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 07_20_11

Crybaby

Crybaby

Wow, Debbie! I can't believe you have to wait for permission for your insurer after an accident. Do you have to get a referral to go to any doctor other than your primary care doc?

That's a damn shame you broke bones in your hand and can't go right away to an orthopedist!

Crybaby

Crybaby

I honestly don't deep fry a single thing. I will "fry" something in 1-1/2 inches of oil in a saute pan. If it needs to be deep fried, I just don't make it.

I always feel bad disposing of the grease. Even if I strained it, I wouldn't use it again for ages so that would be a waste of time. I know you're supposed to put it in some type of can and then put it in the garbage but I feel bad doing that so I just don't do it.

But we don't eat very much fried food anyway. Fried chicken but we always buy that and bring it home. When I eat seafood at a restaurant, my least favorite way to eat it is fried. Occasionally, I will order catfish fingerlings that are fried at a restaurant but that's about it.

I hate the way frying things make your house smell as well. Of course, now that I have a super duper new stainless steel stove hood that is vented to the outside, nothing fills the house with odors like before we had the vented hood. We love pork roast but I swear I could smell it upstairs for 2 days after I cooked it. Brian still has to remind me to turn the fan on though!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I grilled cheeseburgers Saturday. Tina ate 1/2, and I swallowed her other 1/2, plus mine.
Ice cold beer to wash it down.
Baked beans on the side.

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 Img_1521

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, I'm pretending you have melted mozzarella cheese on your burger ~ Love the slice of raw onion! What's the ketchup? I'm not at all familiar with it.

I asked for suggestions for supper. And, poke me in the eye with a stick, HE came up with an idea! He mentioned 'cubed steak'.......

I think HE was thinking about browned cubed steaks cooked in a tomato & vegetable stew ~ but the first thing that came to MY mind was CHICKEN FRIED STEAK !!!!

So, that's what we had.

And as he was taking his second helpings he said, "This is SO good! I'm not even going to feel guilty about it."

And he was right ~ it was really good and since we only have it once a year or less, I'm not going to feel like I need to take up a gym membership (that I wouldn't go to anyway.....). The mashed potatoes were my normal, made with stewed onions in butter, cream cheese & sour cream. The gravy was made in the cast iron skillet with the remaining bacon grease I fried the double-dipped flour/buttermilk cubed steaks in. I even added about a good heaping teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper to the gravy before the milk had been added. I think I'll use this pic as the 'wallpaper' on my phone......LOL

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 07_21_10

NormM

NormM

What's your recipe for chicken fried steak?  Charlie has been looking for one like he used to have at the high school cafeteria.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:What's your recipe for chicken fried steak?  Charlie has been looking for one like he used to have at the high school cafeteria.

Not really a recipe, more a method.....

Beef cubed steak, cut into serving size (I like pieces cut in half, about 2 1/2" X 5" so they're easier to turn when cooking), seasoned with Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (or s&p will do just fine).

Dredging flour seasoned with salt and (heavy) pepper.  Dredge seasoned beef in flour, dip in buttermilk, back into flour for a 'double dip'.  Fry over medium heat, using a cast iron skillet, in bacon fat, possibly with a bit of oil (enough to generously cover the bottom of the skillet), turning once when crispy and golden brown.  Don't use too high of heat or the crust will burn before the beef is cooked / too low heat and the breading falls off as the meat steams.....

When cooked through (about 5 - 6 minutes per side) remove to warm plate.  Add some more bacon fat or butter (your choice) to the skillet if needed for the gravy.  Add a couple tablespoons of the left over seasoned dredging flour and stir & cook in the fat.  Add a good amount of freshly cracked black pepper.  Stir in cold milk and stir and allow to come to a full boil.  Add more milk as needed ~ the gravy tends to tighten up after sitting a bit so let it be pretty loose when you think it's done.

Serve the gravy over the Chicken Fried Steaks and some mashed potatoes......

Personally, I think the bacon grease (which I keep in small containers in the freezer) is the key to a really good Chicken Fried Steak. It's not a diet meal, to be sure, but if you only eat it once every year or so it's not going to show up as the cause of anyone's demise! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, I'm pretending you have melted mozzarella cheese on your burger ~ Love the slice of raw onion!  What's the ketchup?  I'm not at all familiar with it.  

I asked for suggestions for supper.  And, poke me in the eye with a stick, HE came up with an idea!  He mentioned 'cubed steak'.......

I think HE was thinking about browned cubed steaks cooked in a tomato & vegetable stew ~ but the first thing that came to MY mind was CHICKEN FRIED STEAK !!!!

So, that's what we had.

And as he was taking his second helpings he said, "This is SO good!  I'm not even going to feel guilty about it."

And he was right ~ it was really good and since we only have it once a year or less, I'm not going to feel like I need to take up a gym membership (that I wouldn't go to anyway.....).  The mashed potatoes were my normal, made with stewed onions in butter, cream cheese & sour cream.  The gravy was made in the cast iron skillet with the remaining bacon grease I fried the double-dipped flour/buttermilk cubed steaks in.  I even added about a good heaping teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper to the gravy before the milk had been added.  I think I'll use this pic as the 'wallpaper' on my phone......LOL

July 2019. What's Cooking for the Month?  - Page 6 07_21_10

Steak looks great. I would paper my ceiling in the bedroom with that; so I could look at it, and drool!....
The cheese on the burger is Land O Lakes white American.
The ketchup is a Germany Product. Last year, the next door neighbor ( German ),introduced it to be. She made Knockwurst, and served little cups to dip it in.
We use it on everything, and it's great on chicken bbq .

They sell a hot, and a super hot type. I had to order it on amazon; because, our stores here don't carry it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Wendy's burgers, and baked potatoes. We have corn now in north Jersey, and the silver Queen white corn was excellent.

It was 91º here today, but now, the hot spell broke after a rain storm. It is now 77º.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum