Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 13]

201Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Most everyone enjoyed the fish pie....Dane had a huge second serving. Of cours, I had taken a chicken casserole because Pearl has never liked any fish, and that got eaten as well. So I think anything that had been served would have been fine with all of them. (Remember, we don't have very many here who like to cook....). Also, I had baked some of those frozen Rhode's yeast dinner rolls and they got gobbled up, too! LOL

Lore, I think Norm has used the rice flour for wings before. Maybe he can comment on his recommendations......

I made a pot of Spanish rice for our supper. Dane had gone to visit with his sister so I just putzed around this afternoon putting it together.

Last edited by bethk on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

202Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[size=16]DD pureeing pumpkin to freeze for pies. All from scratch.
She put a pizza together from a pocket flatbread.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Img_1313
Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Img_1314

This is the daughter that has the farm, right? What's her name again

Her pizza looks delicious!

That's our Little Girl, Maria.  She just loves being on the farm, and working on it. I guess one would call it a Breeding Farm.
All special purebred sheep and pigs .  Some chickens, but only for the eggs and  birds for auction as free roaming.
A few steer, but only to use and sell for breeding.
The steer are always breaking through somewhere and the police are always calling her or her boyfriend to get them off the road, and get them back into the fenced area.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Curly10

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Trixie10

203Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Have you ever considered borrowing a few of her goats in the spring or summer to take care of the grass? Think how happy the neighborhood kids would be to walk past as your herd of goats bleeted at them!
LOL

204Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Have you ever considered borrowing a few of her goats in the spring or summer to take care of the grass? Think how happy the neighborhood kids would be to walk past as your herd of goats bleeted at them!  
LOL

Yeah! And we can call it Jim & Tina's Zoo.

I Had soup for supper tonight. Tina wanted two soft boiled eggs.
One egg came out on the runny side. I did all I could to not look at her as she scooped the egg from the shell. No

205Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made poached eggs yesterday for Katie and I. She said I didn't make them runny enough so I cooked the 1 minute less. I couldn't eat it and threw it away. Too much slime. I don't know how people can eat them that way. I am on your side Jimmy.

206Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I made poached eggs yesterday for Katie and I. She said I didn't make them runny enough so I cooked the 1 minute less. I couldn't eat it and threw it away. Too much slime. I don't know how people can eat them that way. I am on your side Jimmy.

Truthfully.....hahahahahaha....I immediately thought of you whilst she was pouring out the liquid whites that did not cook. Yack!affraid
I said ( to myself ), "Oh good god, please soak that dish in dawn liquid soap overnight.

207Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Driving to Winter Park today to go to a play at Rollins College. Lyn had tickets but is in Cleveland to spend Thanksgiving with her father and the family so she gave me the ticket to use. We'll probably stop for a quick bite before the play ~ lots of choices in the cute town!

208Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I made poached eggs yesterday for Katie and I. She said I didn't make them runny enough so I cooked the 1 minute less. I couldn't eat it and threw it away. Too much slime. I don't know how people can eat them that way. I am on your side Jimmy.

Truthfully.....hahahahahaha....I immediately thought of you whilst she was pouring out the liquid whites that did not cook. Yack!affraid
I said ( to myself ), "Oh good god, please soak that dish in dawn liquid soap overnight.

Before I came into my hubby's life and cooked breakfast for him, he used to take two raw eggs, add a small can of Carnation sweetened condensed milk, shake that up, and drink the slime as his breakfast.  Disgusting to me.

Son and DIL took me out for breakfast today to say thanks for the cooking I do for them.... I had eggs Benny on a bagel, I asked for the eggs to be not runny.  Delish!  Supper tonight will be at a local popular Chinese restaurant.  My sis and her family (incl. me) are going out for my pretend granddaughter's birthday.  Chrissy is sis's granddaughter, I have no grandchildren, so I call her my pretend granddaughter!  LOL

https://mandarinrestaurant.com/buffet/

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More info)

209Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[size=16]DD pureeing pumpkin to freeze for pies. All from scratch.
She put a pizza together from a pocket flatbread.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Img_1313
Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Img_1314

YIKES>>> That Bull looks like he is feisty and means 'business".. I would not want to mess with him...

The lamb, I could take..
This is the daughter that has the farm, right? What's her name again

Her pizza looks delicious!

That's our Little Girl, Maria.  She just loves being on the farm, and working on it. I guess one would call it a Breeding Farm.
All special purebred sheep and pigs .  Some chickens, but only for the eggs and  birds for auction as free roaming.
The steer are always breaking through somewhere and the police are always calling her or her boyfriend to get them off the road, and get them back into the fenced area.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Curly10

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Trixie10

210Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:01 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I know I shave not posted for a long time. Since it is Thanksgiving week, I want to express my thanks for all of you... and thanks for the Almighty One, for having Jimmy with us!!!

And I also want to introduce Geoffrey:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Img_1610[/url]

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Fullsi11

Geoffrey is about 3 years old. He was given up because his owner moved and was not allowed to have a pet. 

Geoffrey's original name was Goofy.. I changed it.. 

I have had him since November 5.. I saw him on Nov 1...

It was All Saint's Day. That morning and aft Mass, something told me to go into the shelter to see the cats-- I volunteer.. This is PetSmart Charities.. 

G had just come back from the Vets and into the general population. The moment I set eyes on him, I fell in love.. I think he did also.. He started meowing to me, putting left paw up for 'pets'.. when I opened his cage door, he "loved" my entire face and head... 

I immediately put in a "demand" for him... 

Geoffrey is very frightened.. I think he was hidden in either a closet or a bathroom.. hidden away from the landlord... He seems to be very comfortable when the sun goes down.. 

Very skittish.. very frightened.. He is not a lap cat, but does sleep in bed with me.. yup.. he does..

I do not think he knows how to be a cat.. he seems to be afraid of the sunshine, or does not know what to do with it...

He is a buff colored tabby.. different.. not as bold or vibrant as my last love, Artie... 

A very different personality.. He is my ESA animal. 

I have been very self absorbed with him.. I apologize to all.. 
and other stuff going on around here.. 

But, It is Thanksgiving week.. as I said when I began this post..

I am thankful to be part of this community.. and I am thankful for knowing all of you. I may not post very often, but I am here at least once a day...

I cook a bit.. I have new appliances due to the kitchen renovations.. 

I am also dealing with window issues.. I have finally gotten the approval, to get 2 new windows installed... it has been a hassle.. 

a lot going on... but I am grateful...

HAPPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL...

and to you, Niagra, a belated Happy Thanksgiving to You.....

love you all..

Cindy

211Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

Thanks.  We had a lovely Thanksgiving here.  15 people in my condo.  I had my children, and some of my neighbours here in the building.  It was lovely for them to meet each other.  Unfortunately, your Thanksgiving will forever be a not so good time for me, for it was Thanksgiving weekend 2009 that my Cindy's plane ended up in the Pacific Ocean.  I thought after 9 years it would be better.  I'm still waiting.

212Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Did you lose Artie? I don't remember seeing a post. If you did, I am so sorry. You did everything for him to make his life comfortable.

I have a problem with Smidge. He needs a bath. His coat is greasy. The problem is that he has never had a bath since I have owned him. I usually cut back the fur really short so he can do the job himself, but I don't think it worked. He is still greasy. I don't want to take him to the groomers because he has arthritis and I am afraid they may hurt him. I am afraid if he struggles too much I might hurt him. I wonder if those cat bath wipes work? I wonder if they make the coat even more greasy?

Apparently yesterday when I saw that big ballon over the house, there were actually 14 in the air at one time. I wish I could have seen that. I get such a charge out of seeing those things.

Meatloaf tonight with a baked potato and some kind of vegetable. I went to the store and bought a frozen turkey for a future date: 37 cents a pound. Couldn't pass it up. There was also a choice rib roast for $4.77/lb so I bought a 6 pounder and froze it. Bought 10 cans of Swanson's chicken broth at .49 cents each. I hit all of the sales.

213Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:52 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Bugster,  I had to put Artie down on May 23, 2018... He had a several flare of IBd and then his MegaColon hit hard. It was a vicious circle. He was having an IBD flare because of his chicken allergy, refusing to eat anything without chicken.. so he had chicken.. along with daily sub-q fluids; and a ton of medication. 

He was losing his fur due to the allergy; ended up in an IBD flare, because of the chicken... the the IBD meds (stopping his diarrhea) brought him into a severe Megacolon issue.. He just could not poop.. He had at least 3 enemas within a week; and the stool was never right.. either running or full constipation, where he was crying because it could not come out. At the last point, I had to physically pull it out of him.. it was half in and half out. He was in pain...

I can remember running, and I mean running, him into Angell Memorial, On Mother's Day, at 3;30pm, to give him an emergency enema.. He was suffering.. 

AT times his eyes were pleading with me to 'help' him. He was getting the maximum meds that he could get.. He also ended up with a cardiac arrhythmia.. 

The internal Med Vet.. (a real great, kind, knowledgeable man) from Angell, said he had not other options... and would not consider a sub-total colectomy. It is taking most of the colon out.. the last treatment for MegaColon... we could just not get things under control.

We tried.. I tried.. I ran around all over the state to find a food which would agree with him, and allow me to adjust his meds adequately...  The IM Vet told me over and over again, not to run around spending tons of money on food he would just end up refusing.. Artie had appetite meds, steroids, his cisiapride for megacolon, lactulose, miralax, and daily sub-q fluids.. nothing was helping him...

So I had to make the decision. He was suffering.. had some good moments, but he could not poop... the last straw was when I had to physically pull out a piece of poop, which was half in and half out..He was crying in pain... I could not stand it... 

I will always love my Artie.. he was my 'soul-cat".. if anyone understands that.. my once in a lifetime cat...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It took a while before I went back to volunteering.. I missed Artie so much.. a dreaded feeling of loss...
Each week, I wanted to take home a cat.. they had to stop me from doing so.. it was always the neediest cat.. I felt as if I had to have something to focus on...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I saw Geoffrey, I melted...I really did.. everyone said he is a great cat.. I fell in love with him, at first site.. 

He is a very nervous, frightened cat.. He seems to have been hidden in the bathroom or a closet. He does not know what sunlight is.. He really does not know how to be a cat.. He does not know what a tall scratcher is.. only using the smaller, cardboard scratcher.. on the floor......

He wants to love me.. but is afraid.. it is all over his face.. he wants love so badly, but is so afraid...

God seems to give me the sick, confused kitties... sigh...

214Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, it's wonderful you found Geoff! (See? I've shortened his name already since he's now part of our little family!) give him a few months to adjust, he'll get use to his new surroundings. My daughter has "Saffron " who they said was found as a stray. She won't step foot outside, only eats what she decides to like this week....and is very aloof. Andrea figures she was surrendered because she doesn't like to be around people, unless you happen to be asleep.....then she's all over you. Hahahaha

It's good you have a new friend to play with.

215Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy Thanksgiving Cyn. I am glad you and Geoff are getting acquainted with each other.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

216Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Perhaps your kitty will come around with time. We are hoping it will happen with our Smidge. This move we did really traumatized him. He lives under the bed all day and only comes out at night and it is only to lay on the couch. He is afraid to go anywhere else. I take him to other parts of the house but he always runs back downstairs. I was thinking about shutting him in my bedroom with me to see if that would help. Perhaps if he had his own room with no other cats except his buddy Noogie, it would make him relax.

217Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do any of you own a good toaster? One that toasts evenly on both sides?

218Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Jimmy, every time I read over this it bugged the heck out of me......my OCD kicking in, I guess.

Just to be clear: Ms. Maria is raising BULLS on her farm if she's selling them for breeding. A steer is no longer useful for that purpose......

Sorry, Jimmy, but maybe you stuck that in here as a test......I don't know..........

219Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I boned out some chicken thighs, marinated in buttermilk/sambal oeleck (garlic chili sauce) and then dredged in panko before browning in my CI skillet and finishing off in the oven. Baked a white potato for me and a sweet potato for him. Steamed the asparagus in the microwave for 3 minutes. Easy supper.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 11_19_10

220Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wonder why they can't make an Instant pot or multicooker with pressure cooking mode in an oval or rectangle shape? I have a multi-pot but rarely use it because it is round and won't hold a flat chuck roast or a whole chicken.

I saw where some multicookers have sous vide. I remember d'carch was an enthusiast but does anyone on this forum use this form of cooking? I just can't imagine a steak without some kind of crust on it would be any good. Same with a burger.

221Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I wonder why they can't make an Instant pot or multicooker with pressure cooking mode in an oval or rectangle shape? I have a multi-pot but rarely use it because it is round and won't hold a flat chuck roast or a whole chicken.

I saw where some multicookers have sous vide. I remember d'carch was an enthusiast but does anyone on this forum use this form of cooking? I just can't imagine a steak without some kind of crust on it would be any good. Same with a burger.

Maybe one day someone will come up with an idea where you can roast, bake, make stews, fry things etc. etc.............. Maybe it will be called a stove/oven combo! LOL  I'll buy one!

222Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When dcarch used soup vide to cook his steak he would do a hard sear after it was cooked to his perfect temperature. It's the same as I saw recently on an old "Good Eats" episode. A steak was low roasted and then put in a blazing hot cast iron skillet for 45 seconds on each side.

223Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Robin (non-cooking daughter) had called last week to ask how to cook Brussel sprouts. She wanted to take them to her in-law's Thanksgiving on Sunday. She called last night to tell me they came out GREAT and everyone loved them.

Makes a Mom proud! LOL

224Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:51 pm

NormM

NormM

Perhaps they don't make pressure cooker in any shape besides round because round is stronger and can withstand pressure better than an oval shape.

225Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:55 pm

NormM

NormM

Lore, Ninja is making a new cooker called Foodi that can to all those things. The fry is oil-less, air fry type though.  An oven/stove would be a good idea too. You could almost buy a new oven for the same price too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum