Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 13]

1Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

Did everyone survive Halloween?  I bought myself a small George Foreman Grill today and made some really great grilled onions and a small steak for dinner.  Yumm!  I am surprised at how well it works.

2Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Did everyone survive Halloween?  I bought myself a small George Foreman Grill today and made some really great grilled onions and a small steak for dinner.  Yumm!  I am surprised at how well it works.
We had one of George's grills, but I had a hard time cleaning it. I lost the special shaped cleaning tool. We gave it to our son.
We later found the cleaning tool!

3Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

I did some onions and peppers on it, then a small steak. They were really good.  Definitely not compared with grilling on our firepit for 39 years, but surprisingly good.  I bought it in a thrift shop for $6.99 so I will use if at least for a while.  It is a small one, and great for one person, I think.  The steak was much nicer than doing in a frying pan.

4Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried a new recipe called Ranch Chicken. It was a spatchcock chicken rubbed with a mix of dry ranch dressing mix, melted butter and chives. It was flavorful and the drippings made a nice gravy. We will repeat it.

My vision has been on the decline. I got new glasses last October but now can't see road signs. Went for an exam and my cataracts are getting worse but the doctor can give me 20/40 vision with a new prescription. Surgery will be in my future after Medicare kicks in. I went hunting for my old glasses and they are nowhere to be found. Got a feeling they accidentally got tossed. I now have a dilemma: I want to use my current frames because they are only 1 year old, but if I do that I will have to walk around blind for a week. My lenses are so bad that there is no such thing as 1-hour glasses. It is also next to impossible to find frames that fit my face. I can wear some children's frames if I can find something that isn't pink. Not looking forward to this at all.

5Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I tried a new recipe called Ranch Chicken. It was a spatchcock chicken rubbed with a mix of dry ranch dressing mix, melted butter and chives. It was flavorful and the drippings made a nice gravy. We will repeat it.

My vision has been on the decline. I got new glasses last October but now can't see road signs. Went for an exam and my cataracts are getting worse but the doctor can give me 20/40 vision with a new prescription. Surgery will be in my future after Medicare kicks in. I went hunting for my old glasses and they are nowhere to be found. Got a feeling they accidentally got tossed. I now have a dilemma: I want to use my current frames because they are only 1 year old, but if I do that I will have to walk around blind for a week. My lenses are so bad that there is no such thing as 1-hour glasses. It is also next to impossible to find frames that fit my face. I can wear some children's frames if I can find something that isn't pink. Not looking forward to this at all.

Debbie... look in the glove box in the car. My wife found her favorite sun glasses there the other day when we went to the doctors. Of coarse, I got blamed for putting them there ...

6Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Geeze.... I just looked to see, it is 2 AM . I better get to bed.
I was in fantasyland watching the Hallmark Channel on tv. All the Christmas gatherings, and perfect decorations, and the music, and fantasy works, of how it really is NOT! What a collection of B S ...... It just doesn't happen like it shows! IMO anyway!

7Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Geeze.... I just looked to see, it is 2 AM . I better get to bed.
I was in fantasyland watching the Hallmark Channel on tv. All the Christmas gatherings, and perfect decorations, and the music, and fantasy works, of how it really is NOT!   What a collection of B S ......    It just doesn't happen like it shows! IMO anyway!

Isn't that the truth. Our family was so disfunctional that Christmas is not a good time for me.

I found two old pairs of glasses but I can't see anything with them. I found my sunglasses in the car and I guess I will give those a try. I will not be able to drive until my new glasses come in. I am not sure I will be able to see the TV.

8Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Time to go to the library and check out the maximum number of 'books on tape' before you take your frames in for new lens........

9Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I shredded up the chicken breast from the roasted chicken the other night.  Mixed it with about 4 oz. of cream cheese, 2 little cans of chopped green chiles and 1/2 c. of sour cream.  The chicken mixture got rolled into 8 - 6" flour tortillas and then laid side by side on top of some canned green enchilada sauce.  After all the rolled tortillas were in the pan I poured the rest of the 14 oz. can of enchilada sauce over and put a lid on the Pyrex casserole.  It got baked for about an hour at 350° and then allowed to sit for 10 minutes to 'settle' before serving.

We top with a bit of sour cream mixed with green taco sauce (or a couple spoonfuls of the green enchilada sauce), chopped onions or green onions, chopped tomatoes & sliced black olives.  If we have a ripe avocado, I'll add that to the toppings choices.

It's a good meal for a rainy day.....

Welcome November what's cooking! 11_02_10

The original recipe calls for 2 c. of Montery Jack shredded cheese but I sub in the cream cheese instead, for reasons you all have heard.....

10Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Time to go to the library and check out the maximum number of 'books on tape' before you take your frames in for new lens........

I need to be able to drive, so I need new lenses. They are going to cost about $515.00 fot the lenses.

11Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:Time to go to the library and check out the maximum number of 'books on tape' before you take your frames in for new lens........

I need to be able to drive, so I need new lenses. They are going to cost about $515.00 fot the lenses.

Debbie, I have a pair of those "As Seen on TV" glasses that I can adjust the little knobs to see for nearsightedness and for reading.
I just turn the little dials till I can see good enough. They cost me 29.95.
They are my emergency glasses!

12Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was those green kale pasta with boiled chopped tomatoes and oil with a splash of vinegar. A little grated cheese, and it was delicious.

Cottage cheese and peaches for dessert!

13Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Welcome November what's cooking! Img_5610

Welcome November what's cooking! Img_5511

The baby in day care all engrossed in his work, and with his pop pops and Gee Gee ( grandma ) ; dressed as his favorite moo moo cow for trick or treat!

14Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:27 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

Debbie, I have a pair of those "As Seen on TV" glasses that I can adjust the little knobs to see for nearsightedness and for reading.
I just turn the little dials till I can see good enough. They cost me 29.95.
They are my emergency glasses!      

Thanks Jimmy. It is my distance vision that has gone south. I can't read street signs unless I am right up there at the street. I can't read the TV guide on the TV. I can't see at night. Oncoming lights blind me. The optometrist said I am not legally fit to drive. Gotta do something fast. I would like to have my lenses made at Costco 'cause they are half the price but I don'y know if I can stand being blind for a week or more.

15Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Found my glasses. They were right in a place I had checked three times before. They were in a large zipper bag along with a whoopie cushion and other gag items. They weren't in a glass case but in a small pouch that blended right in with the rest of the junk. At least now I can just have my lenses replaced. Thought I would try Costco.

16Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Found my glasses. They were right in a place I had checked three times before. They were in a large zipper bag along with a whoopie cushion and other gag items. They weren't in a glass case but in a small pouch that blended right in with the rest of the junk. At least now I can just have my lenses replaced. Thought I would try Costco.

Y A Y !

17Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a total loss of what to cook for supper. I went through the freezer twice and didn't see anything that looked interesting. Finally, I took one last look and decided on some ham steak. I ended up making a scalloped potato casserole with the ham chunked up on top. Thank goodness I had the right idea of putting the casserole dish on a foil lined quarter sheet pan ~ it boiled over A LOT! As usual, I peeled one too many potatoes. But that's OK, I really like this one for a leftover meal for early next week. I guess it's because I don't make it as often as I use to and the white potatoes (or Yukon Gold) taste so good to me.

Welcome November what's cooking! 11_03_10

Welcome November what's cooking! 11_03_11

18Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and Katie are going out to The Lazy Dog cafe for dinner. I am taking some antibiotics that are making me sick so I am going to stay home. Took one of my cats into the vets to have some blood work done. I thought he was drinking a lot of water and wanted to rule out kidney failure. Blood came out normal thank goodness. Persionas are prone to kidney disease.

19Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a cream of celery soup, and an egg salad sandwich on low carb Italian Bread.
A peach yogurt, and a piece of apple cobbler Maria made. Not sweet, but still a carbs plus.

20Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:18 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was at a total loss of what to cook for supper.  I went through the freezer twice and didn't see anything that looked interesting.  Finally, I took one last look and decided on some ham steak.  I ended up making a scalloped potato casserole with the ham chunked up on top.  Thank goodness I had the right idea of putting the casserole dish on a foil lined quarter sheet pan ~ it boiled over A LOT!  As usual, I peeled one too many potatoes.  But that's OK, I really like this one for a leftover meal for early next week.  I guess it's because I don't make it as often as I use to and the white potatoes (or Yukon Gold) taste so good to me.

Welcome November what's cooking! 11_03_10

Welcome November what's cooking! 11_03_11

Those potatoes surely look good Beth! Actually , the whole meal looks great!

21Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Don't forget to turn the clocks back
Just got done doing that here.
I remember one year, I set back the clocks early.....like 7 ish or so. I never told Tina. Well, she turned them back also! ...... What a confusion that was! LOL

22Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:10 am

Niagara Visitor

I was invited to my next door neighbours' for dinner last night.  How handy! come in your slippers, no driving, so no concern about possibly drinking when you shouldn't have had that second glass of wine.  Very handy, and what a wonderful meal. First, an unusual but delicious seafood chowder.  Their daughter lives in BC, Vancouver Island to be exact, and they brought a mix of all the dry spices etc. that goes into the chowder, including some white beans.  I love beans and would never have thought of putting them into a seafood chowder.  Beans gave it a very nice flavour.  They were going to show me the bag the mix came in, but we got sidetracked.  I'll ask today and look at all the spices in it.  

Then we had some wild caught Halibut which Ed topped with a very finely chopped mix of savoury things including capers. Then a row of cherry tomatoes quartered on the fish.  Very impressive! Then broccoli, cauliflower with cheese sauce, and rice with peas.  I passed on the cheesecake, couldn't put another thing in my filled tummy!

23Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

What luxury! Wild caught halibut! Joe and Katie would love some, but down here it is $30+/lb. Joe's old boss caught some halibut when fishing in Alaska. He had some of it over-nighted down to us. Joe thought he had died and gone to heaven.

Been going around the house setting the clocks back. What a pain.

24Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Breakfast was an egg fried with a slice of cheese, and two strips of bacon fried well done on low carb low sodium bread toasted.....

Lunch will be lobster bisque and ?? whatever? Probably crackers...

Supper is still in the ho hum thought stage...hahahahaha Rolling Eyes

25Welcome November what's cooking! Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Niagara Visitor

Regarding Daylight Savings time.....................saw something on Facebook just a few minutes ago, but don't know how to forward to here....... So, I'll just paraphrase.  THere was a picture of what looks like an old "Indian Chief" who said, only government can believe that if you cut a foot off the top of a blanket and add it to the bottom that you will have a longer blanket!.  How true, what a PITA.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 13]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum