Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 13]

251Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I like turkey carcass soup with leftover stuffing dumplings. I use Mrs. Cubbison's cornbread dressing mix with celery, onions, water chestnuts and poultry seasoning. the leftovers are mixed with an egg and rolled into balls and dropped into the soup. I stopped making it because Joe hates dumplings of any kind. I now make stock from the carcass and freeze it for the next turkey's gravy.
Our very expensive turkey ($60) wasn't great. It was Jennie-O brand. I have had better but at least after the turkey fiasco we had a turkey for T-day. Plenty of leftover meat for sandwiches. We got two hot meals out of it and that is enough. I have a ton of dark meat that I will freeze and sneak into a turkey pot pie at some future date along with some of that stock I just made.
I didn't go to any sales. I don't like dealing with the crowds and traffic. Besides, I don't need anything and Christmas gifts are a thing of the past.
The jury is still out on the new Wolf oven. For $600 you would think it would have a light. I tried a batch of cookies but I cooked frozen dough and they took a lot longer than usual.
The cats have been gorging themselves on turkey and sleeping like the dead.

252Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have my turkey carcass cooking today ~ too much for one pot so I've got two going on the stove top. I have one turkey breast half sliced for sandwiches and the rest of the meat chopped to go into the broth once it's done and strained. It will get put into quart containers in the freezer once it's all done, strained and defatted and the meat will go into just one so it's got plenty for when I decide to make turkey & noodles.

I've finally decided on an induction range ~ going with the least expensive that had decent reviews. I just ordered a set of cookware and as soon as it arrives I'll go to Best Buy and order the range. I'm excited to learn the 'do's & don't's' of induction cooking.

Dane's sister is probably MORE excited than I as when I spoke to her to ask if she wanted my smooth top stove and pans she was flabberghasted! When I purchased this smooth top range I gave her the coil model that was sold with the house. Man, I hated that thing. But she had a coil range with only 1 good burner and an oven that either ran hot or cool so she was thrilled to get it. Now she's thinking she's going to be movin' on up to a 21st century (or should I say, 20th century) range. LOL

253Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:35 pm

NormM

NormM

Do you already have a new stove picked out yet, Beth?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

254Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I have....the Frigidaire Gallery 5.4 cu. ft. freestanding induction range

I don't think I'd use all the additional bells & whistles the ones that cost thousands more provide.

The Kenmore model got better reviews but purchasing from Sears with all the talk of them going out of business really scared me away.

It's all a crap shoot ~ either I get a good one or I get a crappy one.

It's kind of like my LG refrigerator that I absolutely love. Judy (JanaAZ) had one that broke when she was on vacation out of the country and she came home to a nightmare. I don't think she's the one to ask if you are considering buying an LG model.....

255Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:56 pm

NormM

NormM

I think Sears went bankrupt in the early 1990's also. It doesn't mean they are going out of business. I moved to a house with really hard and bad tasting water in 1993 and wanted a water softener. Sears had one for a lot less that Culligan but I got the more expensive one because I was afraid Sears would not have a guarantee if I got it there. They may still be around for a few more years yet... But then there is the problem that KMart bought Sears a year after they (KMart) they went through bankruptcy and now the parent company for both KMart and Sears is bankrupt. It does make you wonder about their future.

256Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I like purchasing appliances almost as much as I like purchasing a vehicle.......

((sigh))

257Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I think Sears went bankrupt in the early 1990's also.  It doesn't mean they are going out of business.  I moved to a house with really hard and bad tasting water in 1993 and wanted a water softener. Sears had one for a lot less that Culligan but I got the more expensive one because I was afraid Sears would not have a guarantee if I got it there. They may still be around for a few more years yet... But then there is the problem that KMart bought Sears a year after they (KMart) they went through bankruptcy and now the parent company for both KMart and Sears is bankrupt. It does make you wonder about their future.

I remember when we had a Kmart at the little once upon a time hometown Mall that they tore down, and put in a Lowes store in its place.
The Kmart had a great cafeteria that had great dinners and desserts. And cheap too!

I remember we called sears, "Sears Roebuck".... The Sears and Roebuck together, as well as "Pepsi Cola", or "Pizza Pie"
DD always crawled under the table when we went out to eat, and I ordered a Pepsi Cola.....She said,"DAD!", "You don't have to say "Cola" after Pepsi!" ...... "It's Just Pepsi!"

258Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, just like J C Penney and not just Penny's.....

I miss the luncheonettes at Woolworth's 5 & Dime.....

259Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My turkey stock is in the refrigerator to defat. Tomorrow I'll divide it up into containers.

Two days is about all I can do of turkey ~ you all know how much I like leftovers......

So, tonight was a good old strip steak on the charcoal grill, baked sweet potato to split and some steamed broccoli. Same old - same old......but it sure hit the spot!

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 11_24_10

260Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I have my turkey carcass cooking today ~ too much for one pot so I've got two going on the stove top.  I have one turkey breast half sliced for sandwiches and the rest of the meat chopped to go into the broth once it's done and strained.  It will get put into quart containers in the freezer once it's all done, strained and defatted and the meat will go into just one so it's got plenty for when I decide to make turkey & noodles.

I've finally decided on an induction range ~ going with the least expensive that had decent reviews.  I just ordered a set of cookware and as soon as it arrives I'll go to Best Buy and order the range.  I'm excited to learn the 'do's & don't's' of induction cooking.

Dane's sister is probably MORE excited than I as when I spoke to her to ask if she wanted my smooth top stove and pans she was flabberghasted!  When I purchased this smooth top range I gave her the coil model that was sold with the house.  Man, I hated that thing.  But she had a coil range with only 1 good burner and an oven that either ran hot or cool so she was thrilled to get it.  Now she's thinking she's going to be movin' on up to a 21st century (or should I say, 20th century) range.  LOL

Take a magnet to all of your cookware. If the magnet sticks, your pan will work on induction, if not, your pan won't work.

We had turkey sandwiches for dinner. What else?

Went to Walmart today and had a confrontation with a woman and her husband. They were blocking the aisle and I said "Excuse me". No response, so I figured they didn't hear me. I raised my voice and said it again. The woman pulled her husband aside and lit into me telling me I was so "RUDE" and that her husband can't hear. I looked at her in astonishment and said "What did I do"? She said I was rude to him and that "I am done! I am done". I just said "Lady, I think you have a big problem". I was not rude and did not deserve this. How the heck did I know he was deaf? It makes me want to never go out again. I wish Joe had been there because after he got finished with her, she wouldn't have know what hit her. He is very fast and good a comebacks. Me? I am pretty worthless because I am usually so stunned, I am speechless. I try not to let people ruin my day but they always do.

261Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yup, just like J C Penney and not just Penny's.....

I miss the luncheonettes at Woolworth's 5 & Dime.....

At Woolworth's, mom would buy us a doughnut, and a Coca Cola at the counter, but were specifically instructed, to N O T make noises with the straw when the coke was all gone. She said,"People will think you never had a coke in your life!" ....." Mom will buy you another one; don't worry !"

262Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:16 pm

NormM

NormM

I remember when KMart was Kresges 5 and dime store.

263Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I remember when KMart was Kresges 5 and dime store.

Yeah! .... S S Kresge's. The thing that made it fun and an attraction, was the bargain basement in the store.

264Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I can still smell the popcorn in Woolworth's. There used to be a drugstore in South Pasadena where we could get a fountain coke for 10 cents. The drugstore is still there in all of its' old-fashioned glory. I remeber on one of the few times my parents would take us out to dinner at a local diner my sister and I would order a chocolate shake and a burger. We would always blow air through the straw into the shake and make bubbles. My parents would always tell us to stop. My sister would always fill up on the shake and couldn't eat her burger.

265Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I can still smell the popcorn in Woolworth's. There used to be a drugstore in South Pasadena where we could get a fountain coke for 10 cents. The drugstore is still there in all of its' old-fashioned glory. I remeber on one of the few times my parents would take us out to dinner at a local diner my sister and I would order a chocolate shake and a burger. We would always blow air through the straw into the shake and make bubbles. My parents would always tell us to stop. My sister would always fill up on the shake and couldn't eat her burger.

Oh My God...... Debbie, that is so funny!
My kids did that, but Mommy wasn't allowed to be seen whacking them on the butt with a hand slap.

On the other hand, we,( brother and I ) got plenty of whacks to keep us under control.
And we listened after that. hahahahaha Mom didn't care where it was to punish us. In the 40's and 50's to early 70's, parents were allowed to punish their kids by slapping. It never hurt us, and we shaped up really quick. It taught us a good lesson.

266Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:03 pm

NormM

NormM

It's snowing here again.  They said it might be a blizzard this time.

267Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Winter has hit early out there Norm. It was 70 out here but there is supposed to be some rain coming in this week.

268Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:00 pm

NormM

NormM

I just went to the store. It's only a mile away.  I have traction control on my car and I got stuck about 4 times. If there had only been one way to get there and one way back, I would have not gotten there or back.

269Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have never driven in the snow and I am sure I would kill myself and perhaps others if I got behind the wheel. I have hit mud before and my car slid all over the place and I had no control.

270Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today I decided to use some bananas I had been 'hoarding' since I bought them at Aldi's last week. I wanted them to be super ripe so they could be mashed up for banana bread. TA DA!!!

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 11_25_10

Supper tonight was any leftover found in the refrigerator.....Dane got first choice because I just didn't care one way or the other. Now there's space to fill up again.

271Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was nibbles of this and thats... DD made 2 Quiche Lorraine .... One with brussels sprouts and pecans, and one with ham and brussels. Good! It surprised me that they would be so good!

272Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I just went to the store. It's only a mile away.  I have traction control on my car and I got stuck about 4 times. If there had only been one way to get there and one way back, I would have not gotten there or back.

The Governor of Kansas declared a state of emergency I see!
I'm watching it on the news now !

Stay home Norm. Be safe

273Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I just went to the store. It's only a mile away.  I have traction control on my car and I got stuck about 4 times. If there had only been one way to get there and one way back, I would have not gotten there or back.

And what ever you do, DON'T TRY TO WALK ON THE SLIPPERY SLOPE!

Just stay in the house and watch from the window.....

Time to cook from the freezer and pantry.

274Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 am

NormM

NormM

They should have the main roads cleared sometime today.  Getting to the main roads can still be a problem though.  We still have leftover turkey.

275Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 11 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Geeze Louise, what a day! It's been 3 months since I had my hair cut and I finally decided today was the day I had to get it trimmed to shape up the shaggy ends. My neighbor told me she really liked the place she went to so I decided to give them a try. I explained to the stylist I just wanted to shape up the back, I had already trimmed the front and was in the process of letting it grow out. The first thing that made me think I was in trouble was when she combed the hair by my ear and promptly whacked it off.....It went downhill from there. Once the first wrong cut was made I knew there wasn't a thing I could do but let her finish the cut she had started.

Oh, well...it will eventually grow out again.

Today is Lyn's birthday so we're going out for dinner to celebrate. She and Bill just got home yesterday from Cleveland visiting her family and they leave on their BIG trip in week. So tonight we celebrate!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum