Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ??

+3
bethk
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

76June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Thanks everyone.  I am very grateful reaching 74, healthy, happy (as well as I can considering losses) I'm happy to be able to enjoy my family, son is having a big party Saturday, and I've been asked to help out with food................. Yeay, that's right up my alley.  Daughter-in-law even asked me if I could make some gluten free biscuits for her so she can have beef on the bun too! Going to Costco today to get all the ingredients for potato salad, devilled eggs, seafood chowder and the biscuits.

Sounds like fun -- it's so nice you're so close to your sons and that you get along great with their wives as well. Kudos to you, Lore. I hope it was fun seeing all your son's friends, too. I'll bet it was like old home week!

77June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, all your pictures of your "vacation food" (don't hit me!) look great. I was surprised they were serving shrimp and grits in Ohio, though like you said, they could use some tips on making the grits! All the food looked really good.

I could not believe that pizza was a "luncheon special" -- it was huge! That wasn't intended to be for one person, was it?!

78June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 pm

NormM

NormM

I found a Food Saver in the freezer marked Korean Pork and cooked it for dinner today. We had it with rice and kim chi. June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 20180611

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

79June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm trying to keep the refrigerator from getting cluttered with 'previously served' foods (see? I didn't call them 'leftovers') so tonight was a steak salad......

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 06_14_10

80June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Thanks everyone.  I am very grateful reaching 74, healthy, happy (as well as I can considering losses) I'm happy to be able to enjoy my family, son is having a big party Saturday, and I've been asked to help out with food................. Yeay, that's right up my alley.  Daughter-in-law even asked me if I could make some gluten free biscuits for her so she can have beef on the bun too! Going to Costco today to get all the ingredients for potato salad, devilled eggs, seafood chowder and the biscuits.

Sounds like fun -- it's so nice you're so close to your sons and that you get along great with their wives as well.  Kudos to you, Lore.  I hope it was fun seeing all your son's friends, too. I'll bet it was like old home week!
Party is this coming Saturday.  Yes it is nice that I get along well with my children and their wives.  I couldn't imagine it otherwise.

81June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cooking took a back seat here for the past couple day's.
Dental issues with Tina mommy. Grinding and cementing to ready the new tooth, then the carrier cap fell off. Yesterday a glue job ( again ).
Today she got her new tooth. " Bucky Bucky Beaver; new Ipana Tooth Paste!"..... Brusha Brusha Brusha, I sang, whilst she waited for the lidocaine to wear off! .......

We had BLTCS's.... Bacon / Lettuce / Tomato / Cheese, and Salami on light toast and mayo.

82June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried a recipe for slow cooker Mongolian Beef. It was OK.June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 20180612

83June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a big fan of many Crockpot recipes, Norm, but that one looks pretty good. I think the only thing I cook in mine is Bev's Italian Beef.....

It's been raining off and on all day ~ showers that seem to pop up in a minute. So I decided to just thaw out a burger patty and cook it on the stove.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 06_15_10

84June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A welcome and long awaited sandwich for supper tonight.
Philly Cheese Steak wit peppers and onions.

85June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:32 am

NormM

NormM

Most of my old crock pot recipes that I used to do, I now do in the instant pot. I had to go to the basement and dig out the crock pot to do this one.

86June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Most of my old crock pot recipes that I used to do, I now do in the instant pot. I had to go to the basement and dig out the crock pot to do this one.

We used to do that with, ( storing ) slow cookers, and various small appliances in the basement.
We ordered one of those Rubbermaid storage chests, and all that heavy stuff, is a walk outdoor to the deck. No more humping stuff up the stairs.

87June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have rain predicted every day this week ~ usual summer weather with storms that hit for the time when you'd like to grill out. You learn to adjust to the weather.

I rode on the golf cart (Dane is still in Ohio with the car) to Fresh Market today and got some American Wild Caught Shrimp. They're pricey ($11.99/lb) but I only wanted 6 and it ended up being a little over $3. I made a seasoned rice flour batter and did a shallow pan fry in about 1/4" of peanut oil. Had some parsley chive noodles, steamed asparagus and broccoli slaw and was very full when I got up from the table. I sure do miss having Dane to clean up after supper.

Of course, it's a trade off ~ I get to cook what I want and I don't have to worry about 'The LOOK' if I decide on something he thinks is too many calories.

So I guess I'll just go and load the dishwasher now........

LOL

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 06_16_10

88June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Burgers on the grill tonight. Been too tired to do much else in the way of cooking. I have no idea what to cook this week. I really don't want to cook. I wish someone else would take on the job. We have been packing and just have way too much junk. I have tried to weed out stuff but there isn't any room to work so I guess I will do it when we move in. I have two mixers: a Cuisinart and a KA that I can't use because they are the wrong color. I don't use what I can't lift so I have to keep the mixer out. The KA is metallic cherry red and the Cuisinart is silver which is ok but I hate the thing. I guess I will sell them on Craig's List.

89June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Most of my old crock pot recipes that I used to do, I now do in the instant pot. I had to go to the basement and dig out the crock pot to do this one.

How do you like your Instant Pot Norm? I just got 1 and started to like it

90June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

While paring down my kitchen I have a dilemma. I have an instant pot that is around 4qts and a 6qt slow cooker. I use the 6qt for pot roast about twice a year. I can't really fit a chuck roast into a 4qt. I suppose I could cut it in half and stack it. I rarely use the instant pot. Should I keep them both or give one away?

91June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

"Happy dance".. somehow I'm able to post pictures without having to resize them, here is my spicy pork spare ribs cooked in my Instant Pot,  30 minutes total cooking time, the ribs are so tender, I added carrots, kidney beans in cans and tomatoes later, the spices are, blended onions, garlic, chili pepper, turmeric, ginger and candle nuts, other spices are: bay leaves, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves ( used a lot in Indonesian and Thai cuisines ), tamarind paste and brown sugar, salt and pepper

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Dscn0711
June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Dscn0712

92June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just pulled out all of my unusual sized baking pans such as mini loaf and bunt, Pullman pan, hamburger bun pan etc. I am going to have to donate those. Even though my new house is twice the size, I didn't get my big kitchen, so storage is in short supply. I really wanted a big island and walk-in pantry. I came up with an idea while looking at the pics of the house. There is a hall that runs behind the staircase. In that hall is a coat closet. there is also some empty wall space under the stairs. I am going to have Joe drill a small hole in the closet to have a look-see at what, if anything, is under those stairs. If it is empty we are going to make it into a pantry of sorts. Joe will cut a door way, install molding and door, install drywall and shelving for my appliances and a light. If it is full of ducting or whatever I am SOL.

93June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda, your soup looks wonderful!

94June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:While paring down my kitchen I have a dilemma. I have an instant pot that is around 4qts and a 6qt slow cooker. I use the 6qt for pot roast about twice a year. I can't really fit a chuck roast into a 4qt. I suppose I could cut it in half and stack it. I rarely use the instant pot. Should I keep them both or give one away?

I would keep them both, Instant pot is so handy when we don't have much time to cook, even with frozen meat, it does not take a long time to cook them, 4 qts is good for cooking for 2 to 4 persons.. my IP is 6 qts, I like to cook in big batch so we can have the leftovers later.. I have 7 and 4 qts slow cooker and I'm thinking to get rid of the 4 qts one

95June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm

NormM

NormM

Imelda, I like the Instant Pot. Charlie got it for Christmas a couple of years ago. He got the biggest one. I would have gotten a smaller one for me but I am glad I have the bigger one. I really don't need a slow cooker now unless I need the big one, but I have not used it since I got the IP. I have not needed either the small one or the big one. I just used the small one for the dinner the other day on a whim.

Debbie, I guess you will have to decide whether you want an electric pressure cooker or not. If you don't use the slow cooker very often but you do use the IP, I'd keep it. You can always do the roast in a slow oven in a Dutch oven or big skillet on the stove top. My mom slow cooked brisket before slow cookers were invented. She would but a brisket on the back burner of the stove and cover it and let it cook on low for hours.

96June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, your soup looks wonderful!

Thank you.. and thanks to Instant Pot haha.. now I sound like an IP sale person.. at first I did not want to buy it though some of my friends like it very much, I thought I have too many pots and pans already, no more space in my cabinet and I like to take my time when I'm cooking, but when I had $40 Kohl's cash and an extra 30%, I just grabbed it, I only had to pay $15 for this pot, it was on sale for $99.99.. and I like it Razz

97June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Imelda, I like the Instant Pot. Charlie got it for Christmas a couple of years ago. He got the biggest one. I would have gotten a smaller one for me but I am glad I have the bigger one.  I really don't need a slow cooker now unless I need the big one, but I have not used it since I got the IP. I have not needed either the small one or the big one. I just used the small one for the dinner the other day on a whim.

I like it because the inner pot is much lighter to clean than slow cooker, and we can saute in the same pot,no need an extra pot on the stove, my brown and basmati rice come out fast and perfect too

98June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 pm

NormM

NormM

My sister asked about cooking a brisket and wondered if she should try to find the pressure cooker in the basement. I said to try the instant pot. She said she heard that people didn't like it. She said it wasn't supposed to work as well as a regular pressure cooker OR slow cooker. I disagreed and offered to let her try mine to see how she liked it but went to the store and got an imitation IP and likes it just fine.

99June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, I agree with everyone else ~ your soup looks amazing!  I can only imagine the depth of flavor with all the ingredients you use, so many unfamiliar to me.  

Debbie, I would keep the Crockpot and the Instant Pot if you can find room for them.  When you get settled you may find time to 'play around' with the instant pot and find, like most people who have one, that you really like it.  I've only used one for a couple meals I made for my daughter and her family and it was great fun.....and QUICK!  The pressure allows the flavors to develop in no time at all.

Have you ever seen under stairs storage before? Here's a link to a pic that I thought was fabulous:

https://www.houzz.com/photo/6705666-grove-avenue-transitional-staircase-richmond

Last edited by bethk on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

100June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My niece in Australia wants one too, but she can't find the same brand, so she has to get Phillips multi cookers, it's similar but costs more there, everything costs much more in there.

I cooked red curry chicken (store bought seasoning) with my IP, it turned out a bit too tender, I need to reduce the pressure time.. I'm still learning how to use my pot

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Dscn0910
June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 4 Dscn0911

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum