Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ??

+3
bethk
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
The meal I cooked, on the grill was salmon with a mango tomatillo salsa.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 20180618

OK, so I shortened Norm's post by one meal ~ personally, I thought it was pretty clever of me!

Even though I'm not a fan of salmon, I am a huge fan of fish with a salsa. So, Norm, YOU were my inspiration for supper tonight!

I had one last REALLY TASTY peach left on the counter ~ and it's been ages since I made a peach salsa.....a perfect topping for a cod filet I knew was in the freezer. Dane planted one hot banana pepper plant and then left to work on the house in Ohio ~ and the pepper plant has been growing pepper after pepper. I picked the first half dozen and tasted one ~ H * O * T !!! ~ so I crammed five into a jar and added a pinch of salt and a 4 to 1 combination of white vinegar & water. I'm hoping to just preserve the peppers for him, not make pickles.

The peach salsa is a recipe I worked on a few years ago to serve with tortilla chips for cocktail hour ~ and I really like it. It's simple enough: chopped peaches, chopped onion, chopped chili pepper, parsley, lemon juice, rice vinegar and just a light drizzle of honey. It really all depends upon the sweetness of the peaches and the heat of the chiles to determine how much of each ingredient you use.....all personal taste.

I'm hoping the pepper plant keeps producing so Dane can have some fresh peppers when he gets back home. Until then I'm going to continue to preserve them the best I can.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 06_11_11

127June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My supper was as tasty as I had hoped.....I've been thinking about it ever since I saw Norm's post. A couple days to get the taste buds ready to eat!

I made some 'vegetable spaghetti' ~ carrot, onion & zucchini julienned with the OXO slicer and some steamed asparagus was a nice compliment to the cod. I did a simple pan fry with a combination of evoo & butter and just seasoned the cod filet with s&p and did a very light dredge in rice flour to keep it from falling apart as it cooked.

And just as I had hoped, the peach salsa was really good with the fish. I've got to remember this meal to make for Dane when he gets home.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 06_21_10

128June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:27 pm

NormM

NormM

Looks tasty Beth.

We had a Japanese recipe for fried chicken with spinach and zucchini. The directions left the chicken in the oli a little too long so I shortened the time on my blog to what I think will work better next time

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 20180620

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

129June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza tonight made from Pita Pockets. I liked them. Tina didn't.
The crust was not crispy enough. Shhhhh! don't tell, but she put too much sauce.

130June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Pizza tonight made from Pita Pockets. I liked them. Tina didn't.
The crust was not crispy enough.  Shhhhh! don't tell, but she put too much sauce.

Jimmy, I use very little sauce when I make my pizza. Half the time I think I could just use a pastry brush and have the perfect amount for me.

When Dane & I were first married his Grandma would invite the younger kids over for a Saturday night 'pizza party' and make little pizzas out of English Muffin halves. I only saw it once but I was so repulsed. The split muffins were not toasted and the sauce was spooned on, a piece of pepperoni added (could pepperoni REALLY have been overly expensive so only one slice was allowed???) and then half a slice of off-brand American cheese was added. Into the oven until the cheese was melted. What a soggy mess it became!

I was glad we were NOT invited to join them ~ I know I wouldn't have been able to choke that down.

131June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm - how old was Charlie in the fishing picture?

And how old were you in your latest avatar switch? (you were a cutie, to be sure!)

132June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Life is good. We are going to dine on Swanson's fried chicken TV dinners! I have packed most of our food so cooking is almost impossible. The house is going to be tented on Monday so all of the food has to go in these special bags. Fridge and freezer stuff has to be bagged too. The buyer is doing her walk-thru on Saturday. It looks like a tornado went through the house. I hope it doesn't scare her off. I don't know why it would because she is going to tear out everything anyway.

133June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 pm

NormM

NormM

I am guessing ages but I'd say Charlie was about 25 and I was about 16.

134June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Life is good. We are going to dine on Swanson's fried chicken TV dinners! I have packed most of our food so cooking is almost impossible. The house is going to be tented on Monday so all of the food has to go in these special bags. Fridge and freezer stuff has to be bagged too. The buyer is doing her walk-thru on Saturday. It looks like a tornado went through the house. I hope it doesn't scare her off. I don't know why it would because she is going to tear out everything anyway.

Are you moving to your new house on Monday? I've only known one family who had to have their house 'tented' for termites and they had to be out for 3 or 4 days, and a day to have it opened and air blowing around to clear the air. I'll be thinking of you....good luck.....and don't go anywhere near the place if you have breathing problems until it's all clear.

135June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

My daughter and son in law had to have their house tented in Huntington Beach, CA.  They packed all their food, cans and all, into their SUV, drove it somewhere, then they took their car and went away for the 4 or 5 days while the exterminators did their thing.

136June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Not moving till the 3rd of July. Out here in CA everybody has termites. They are tenting Monday and blowing out the house Wednesday. We can come back at 12PM. I have to be here for the gas man. The termite people turn off the gas but the gas company has to turn it back on. On Tuesday we are driving to Temecula for the final walk-thru. We are staying at my sister's with 4 cats. She wouldn't have the dogs so Katie has to board them for 2 days. She isn't to happy about paying for that. We tossed the mattress so Joe has been sleeping on the couch. It isn't very comfortable for him. He will be happy to sleep in a bed for a couple of days. I can't believe how much crap we have. It's like a magician who starts pulling a scarf out of his sleeve and it keeps coming and coming.

137June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, in a week and a half you'll be done with it. You can do it!

(Then, find a room with a lock on the door, enter, lock the door and sit in silence for a few hours.....LOL)

138June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I made a recipe for sausage and beans stewed with tomatoes from a cook book Charlie gave me a while back. I also made a celery root salad.June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 20180621

139June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, that looks like a cassolet, one of my favorite winter time meals. Only problem is it makes SO MUCH! But sausage & beans is such comfort food.

I straightened up the freezer(s) today and decided the crab legs needed to be used because they took up too much room.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 06_22_10

There were four clusters all wrapped up together so I thawed them and heated 'em all. I've got 2 1/2 clusters to remove the meat from and stash until I want to make a crab dip for company.

140June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:14 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth, this recipe only used a cup of canned tomatoes, 4 sweet Italian sausages and a pound of cannellini beans but I just used a can of cooked beans which is a lot less than a pound of dry beans. It makes enough for maybe three people if they are all hungry, 4 or 5 if they are not.

141June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Philly Cheese Steak, and a little medicine.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Img_0912

142June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good looking sandwich, Jimmy. Did you make it or did Ms. T bring it home for you?

When I make mine I let the onions get all cooked down and golden and just use a little red pepper strips ~ like them with a bit of a bite. And as much mozzarella as you have!

143June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, this recipe only used a cup of canned tomatoes, 4 sweet Italian sausages and a pound of cannellini beans but I just used a can of cooked beans which is a lot less than a pound of dry beans.  It makes enough for maybe three people if they are all hungry, 4 or 5 if they are not.

I love using the canned beans ~ but I still want them to cook down more than they are straight from the can. I like to leave the liquid in, too, as I think the flavor really adds a good taste and 'mouth feel'.

144June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Good looking sandwich, Jimmy.  Did you make it or did Ms. T bring it home for you?

When I make mine I let the onions get all cooked down and golden and just use a little red pepper strips ~ like them with a bit of a bite.  And as much mozzarella as you have!

I made it. Tina was blabbing on the phone with my cousin Donna. They are going to visit us tomorrow!
Lunch will be steaks grilled. Ziti with meat sauce. Baked potatoes.
Garden salad. Corn on the cob.

145June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 am

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:Beth, this recipe only used a cup of canned tomatoes, 4 sweet Italian sausages and a pound of cannellini beans but I just used a can of cooked beans which is a lot less than a pound of dry beans.  It makes enough for maybe three people if they are all hungry, 4 or 5 if they are not.

I love using the canned beans ~ but I still want them to cook down more than they are straight from the can.  I like to leave the liquid in, too, as I think the flavor really adds a good taste and 'mouth feel'.

I did drain the beans but I put them in to cook with the sausage for about 20 minutes. BTW, I used Progresso beans. This time I knew they were just beans.

146June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Niagara Visitor

Company coming for dinner tonight................... sister-in-law and her boyfriend and hubby's Uncle Ernie.  Everyone basically eats anything but really love fish, so I am making salmon Wellington, fresh local asparagus, and oven roasted potatoes.  Fresh strawberries and cream for dessert.  

I made this Wellington once before, it has a filling with spinach and scallops, but I tweaked it a bit.
Having the filling between two pieces of salmon made it really difficult to cut into serving pieces, it was so high.   So I put some of the "filling" under the salmon, and the rest on top.  I think this will be better.

147June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It must be company night!

I invited Jeanie & Kermit to come for shrimp & grits, a dish she absolutely loves. I had mentioned it to her this morning when we were going to ride on the golf cart to Aldi's for some good deals and she said, "I'll buy the shrimp if you'll make the meal!"

So that's how supper came to be.

The last time I made the dish I made a mushroom cream sauce but Jeanie isn't a mushroom lover so I decided to turn it into a bacon cream sauce ~ and winged it! I have to say, the sauce was really very tasty. ((and not a mushroom was used))

I also picked up a graham cracker crust and some vanilla pudding and made a banana cream pie for dessert. Aldi had 'Grand Re-Opening' Specials running ~ a gallon of whole milk for $.99. And the already made graham cracker crust was $.85. I had bananas that needed to be used so it was just a matter of making the pudding (which I had in the pantry) and I ended up making two pies ~ one for us and one I took over to Tommy & Joann earlier in the day, right after I put them together.

Kermit is a real sweets eater so anytime he comes to supper I have to have a dessert. He knows he gets to take the leftover dessert home with him.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 06_23_10

148June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Niagara Visitor

As I suspected, doing it the way I did today was much better than the original.  It was a big hit, I kept enough for one meal for me, gave enough to sister-in-law and her friend for them for tomorrow.  Doing the Wellington is time consuming, but it sure is impressive.  And was delicious!  I will use it as a company meal for the future.  YUMMY!

149June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ho Hum..... Steaks on the grill / corn on the cobb, and ziti with meat sauce.All kinds of desserts..

150June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 6 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight. I found a couple biscuits in the freezer when I was 'organizing'......amazing how stuff can get lost at your fingertips! Fortunately, I wrap most things really well and they weren't bad. I thawed one out and had some of the recently made/frozen sausage gravy for my brunch. REALLY filling (and really tasty).

But, you've all seen a pic of it before ~ and, quite honestly, it's not all that 'pretty' on a plate so no pic.

It seems like one meal a day is enough for me, although I'm still struggling with trying to get down sufficient water to ward off the sharp shin muscle pains. I wish coffee counted but, apparently it does not.

I bought some more of the really good Georgia peaches and they're ripening on the counter. I did chop one today to make some more peach salsa. I just love the sweet/hot flavor of that stuff. It's in a little jar in the refrigerator, melding flavors, and I'll probably have some tomorrow with tortilla chips as a snack ~ or, more likely if I open the refrigerator door and see the jar.....for breakfast! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum