Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
cookingirl
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth and Crybaby. The snow got rained away the other day but it has been pretty cold.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

The leftover chicken mushroom pasta got turned into baked pasta for tonight's supper. Anything left after tonight gets tossed.....I don't do leftover - leftovers.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161212_170953397

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161212_171658764

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth....the once leftovers look great.
I had a finish of the sub sandwich from yesterday.
Tina pocked up a rotisserie chicken breast for her and GD. They had instant mashed potatoes and carrots sliced. I had a slice of the breast because it was well done.

NormM

NormM

We had Salmon for dinner tonight. It was cooked Sous Vide.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 DSCN3885_zpse6omctc1

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked 2 logs of whole pork loins in slow cooker, I used Onion soup mix, lots of fresh Rosemary, garlic, I cooked them for 6 hours, they were so good, Dirk loves them, I don't really care.. I like my meat with a bit fat, for me pork loin is too lean, we ate some last night and heated some more tonight for quick supper after coming back for a long hike, I'm going to bring 1 log father in-law birthday dinner this Sunday

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 8

he ate it with 2 steamed potatoes ( in microwave ), steamed veggies and gravy

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 9_1

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Norm. ..... Where is Beth? Hey Beth! ... You and I are eating Salmon every day of the week! OK?...????
I don't think so! ... I know Beth and Jimmy here, are not Big SalMon Fans!

Give me haddock or cod, and I'll eat that every day. I guess it's because I've never seen Salmon growing up.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I cooked 2 logs of whole pork loins in slow cooker, I used Onion soup mix, lots of fresh Rosemary, garlic, I cooked them for 6 hours, they were so good, Dirk loves them, I don't really care.. I like my meat with a bit fat, for me pork loin is too lean, we ate some last night and heated some more tonight for quick supper after coming back for a long hike, I'm going to bring 1 log father in-law birthday dinner this Sunday

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 8

he ate it with 2 steamed potatoes ( in microwave ), steamed veggies and gravy

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 9_1

Looks Great Imelda. I like to eat the fat, only on the smoked pork meats; like ham.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, it sounds like you're having a good time experimenting with your new SV cooker.  I'm sure it's one of those items that take some practice to perfect.  I know dcarch did a lot of proteins in his but I wondered if it worked as well with vegetables....funny how you forget the specifics.

Imelda, your pork loin looks good, but I'm much like you....too lean and not enough flavor for me.  I much prefer my pork with more fat, especially if I'm going to brown it and let the fat render and get crispy.  I'm sure Dirk's father will appreciate your making him a birthday dinner!

Speaking of pork (segue right to MY supper), I'm making breaded bone-in pork chops with a baked squash.  I've got the meat breaded & browned and on a rack in the oven next to the halved butternut squash.  I'm going to have the fresh red beets I boiled the other night and stored in the refrigerator until I made a meal they would 'go' with.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161213_171239823

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wendy's is going to cook for us tonight. Gonna try Tony Packo's Sweet Hot Ketchup with our fries. I ordered that ketchup last year, and I couldn't find it. Well,.....I found it in the garage in a bag.

I am so tired today. I was cleaning out one of the cars that we are donating to Kars for Kids.
Tina had so many of those wipes and tissues. I threw them all out.

NormM

NormM

Dinner tonight was broiled glazed pork shoulder, oven fried sweet potatoes and Korean spinach. Since the sweet potatoes were not very good, we also had some rice.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 DSCN3888_zpszn8rrxhj

bethk

bethk
Admin

I am planning on Dane's requested beef tacos for supper tonight....Starting my guacamole this morning so the flavors have a chance to meld.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

He wanted a simple taco meal....no big deal, right? So, how come I was cooking / prepping ALLLLLL day?

Guacamole, taco toppings: onions, hot peppers, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce....taco meat simmered in seasonings, refried beans (canned ~ just reheated), crispy taco shells warmed in the toaster oven, soft flour tortillas warmed in the microwave......

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161214_170347374

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161214_171039384

And (not shown because I ate it.....) Individual Lemon Pudding Cake for dessert!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:He wanted a simple taco meal....no big deal, right?  So, how come I was cooking / prepping ALLLLLL day?

Guacamole, taco toppings: onions, hot peppers, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce....taco meat simmered in seasonings, refried beans (canned ~ just reheated), crispy taco shells warmed in the toaster oven, soft flour tortillas warmed in the microwave......

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161214_170347374

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161214_171039384

And (not shown because I ate it.....) Individual Lemon Pudding Cake for dessert!
Oh My Goodness.... great looking face stuffers.
Beth, you did truly do a lot of prep / cooking there!

bethk

bethk
Admin

The cost of a whole chicken is so much less than if you buy parts ~ seems silly to spend the extra $$ when cutting out the parts you don't want to eat and saving for another meal is so easy to do. So this time I got 'smart'....I cut off the breast(s) and wrapped them for the freezer (took the extra 3 minutes to bone them but left the skin on). So I'll take the rest of the bird ~ the rib/back, thighs & legs and wings and do a kind of 'reverse spatchcock' to cook it on the grill. Seems so strange to be grilling chicken outside 10 days before Christmas!

I've got a good sized sweet potato to par-cook in the microwave before finishing on the grill and some green beans snipped and ready in a pot of water to rinse them off for cooking. I even have another of my individual Lemon Pudding Cake desserts for my bedtime snack.

NormM

NormM

I bought wings and thighs today because I needed more than two wings and thighs. Charlie posted a bunch of chicken recipes from around the world and I took one from Korea that I know he likes and another one from Japan to try along with it. I was at the Asian market yesterday and got some pickled radish and kimchi to go with them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No complaints on supper.....

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 IMG_20161215_170700765

NormM

NormM

I made one of Charlie's favorite's: Korean Chicken Wings and another one I wanted to try: Japanese thighs made into popcorn chicken.  After Charlie got home he added Yum Yum sauce and Tamari as dipping sauces. We also had kimchi, snow peas and pickled Asian radishes.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 4 DSCN3897_zpspskwttgk

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yum Yum sauce? That is new to me.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had boiled a package of Lipton soup, and added leftover Chinese rice to it.
It was good, but I'm hungry for a snack now at 11:30 pm.
I'm about to make Chicken salad from the well done breast the other night.

Tina wants me to wake her up so she can have some on crackers.
She only had a frozen stuffed pepper for supper that she just stabbed at, and picked on.
She didn't like it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made one of Charlie's favorite's: Korean Chicken Wings and another one I wanted to try: Japanese thighs made into popcorn chicken.  After Charlie got home he added Yum Yum sauce and Tamari as dipping sauces.  We also had kimchi, snow peas and pickled Asian radishes.

Sounds like a delicious dinner, Norm. I've made your Korean wings and they are delicious! The flavors are addicting, to be sure.

Last week at our weekly Ladies' Movie & Lunch with the neighborhood we had lunch at the local Japanese Steak House for a hibachi lunch. Everyone was 'raving' about the white sauce and when asked the chef said it was Yum-Yum sauce. I pulled out my phone and did a search and told them what was in it....they couldn't believe it was just mayonnaise and a few other ingredients. Of course, I also told them they could buy it at the grocery store ~ beats me why they wouldn't just mix up a bit if they really like it that much.

When we first moved here to The Villages one of our neighbors raved about the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill. She said they went at least once a week to have a cocktail and the shrimp. So, Dane & I went one time and I had to order her 'delicious' Bang Bang Shrimp. At the first bite I thought to myself, "I can make this!".....it was just breaded shrimp coated in the Bang Bang sauce. So now I usually have some in my refrigerator. I prefer my shrimp to be roasted and then drizzled with the sauce instead of the deep fried....although, truth be told, it's probably because I don't like the clean up after the deep frying. LOL Hellmann's mixed with sweet chili sauce and sriracha (now I use the Sambal Oelek) and a little worstershire sauce, I think.....hits sweet, salty & savory.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. Bugster, the first time I noticed Yum Yum sauce in stores, it was at Walmart.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I will definitely have to buy a jar to see what it is all about.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I am planning on Dane's requested beef tacos for supper tonight....Starting my guacamole this morning so the flavors have a chance to meld.....

Love tacos and anything Mexican. It's been a long time since I made tacos (though I did buy some of those "stand up" taco shells not so long ago). Brian really got into those enchiladas I made a while back. Heck, he even asked for a repeat and he's usually not much of a Mexican fan. How great (for me) would it be to have tacos AND enchiladas -- with some grilled green onions on the side! Mmm, and guacamole is the icing on the cake! Take pics if you think about it, B.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I was late to the party and just saw your taco spread, Beth.  Yum!  Looked absolutely delicious.

Beth wrote:The cost of a whole chicken is so much less than if you buy parts ~ seems silly to spend the extra $$ when cutting out the parts you don't want to eat and saving for another meal is so easy to do. So this time I got 'smart'....

Around here, the whole chickens are usually so small; when Brian sees a good sized one, he'll pick it up for us.  When we buy breasts and thighs already cut up, they're much bigger than the ones from a whole chidken.

Beth wrote:Seems so strange to be grilling chicken outside 10 days before Christmas!

Again, my friend, welcome to the South!  If anyone can appreciate not living with regular snowfalls, it's you, Beth.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:I made one of Charlie's favorite's: Korean Chicken Wings and another one I wanted to try: Japanese thighs made into popcorn chicken.  After Charlie got home he added Yum Yum sauce and Tamari as dipping sauces. We also had kimchi, snow peas and pickled Asian radishes.

Norm, your dinner looked fantastic. But then your dinners usually do!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum