Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper???

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm going to have to go back and look at some pics posted......not a clue (as in C*L*U*E*L*E*S*S !!!) for a meal idea.

I have one large sweet potato on the counter. I should probably make something to go with that. Maybe I'll do some smothered pork steak.....hmmmmm.....

Niagara Visitor

I need to clean out my fridge. I've been eating out so much lately, that I'm afraid I will look at some stuff and think.............."Leftovers or a science project???" I'll have to see what I can salvage and make  a dinner.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up with a couple thick cut pork chops. I dusted with flour, dipped in buttermilk and then back in the seasoned flour. Browned in bacon fat and removed from the pan, softened some onion and added a bit more flour to make a roux. A splash of Worcestershire and some chicken stock to make a gravy to braise the chops in. They're in the oven at 300. Gonna make boiled white potatoes and green beans. He'll just have to deal with it.....LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Someone at the table mentioned, "Oh, that's a lot of mashed potatoes you made...." and then FAILED to practice 'portion control' ~ but he did say they were really good! LOL

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper??? 09_01_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Burgers tonight.
Felt funny this morning when I woke up at 845.
Yep!.... just like I said. Out to eat and suck on a cup of coffee, and yaak Oooo Swallowww
Glump! ..... or ...... "Baby Snots" with Daycare Germs, got too close, and I got infected!
Feel like Dog $H!t. Sucking on Coricidin to make the choky choky go away!

Going to bed early tonight.

Niagara Visitor

Lucky me! No leftovers yesterday as I posted about cleaning out my fridge.  Son called........................ other son and daughter-in-law were over, so Mom, come for a visit............... we're hanging out at the "Barsh" LOL.  The barsh is Danny's garden shed that can be turned into a bar.  He cut a section of the north wall of the shed out, hinged it, so that when it gets lifted, it becomes the roof of the bar.  Built some barstools, I made cushions for them, and an outside bar is born.  

The shed is really like a small house.  Built onto a floating concrete slab. 8x12 ft, 7 ft. ceiling at the sides, 8 in the middle.  The exterior is partially concrete block base and around the door, painted white, then 2x4 framing with cedar exterior to match their house.  Inside, a small kitchen counter and double sink (running water) for fish cleaning, and now that it's also a bar, the required flat screen for watching TV!  UNfortunately, no heat for winter hanging out, then it reverts to its original purpose and houses all the garden furniture! LOL

Then we had Grey Cup dip with nacho chips.  Yummmmm.  Fridge cleaning today!

Grey Cup dip is browned ground beef, some veggies (not sure which), cheese and we scooped it with the corn chips.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Time to boil up some chicken parts, Jimmy. Just breathe in the steam and you'll feel better in no time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ah, the ingenuity of youth, Lore! The Barsh sounds delightful!

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Ah, the ingenuity of youth, Lore! The Barsh sounds delightful!

THanks..................... DIL wasn't too thrilled at first, but she now likes it too.   Smile  Not so young ny more, he turned 50m in June!  My baby.................. how did that happen so fast?  Wasn't he just learning to walk a few months ago??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Went out to lunch with our investments guy & his wife. It was the annual visit to review and adjust.

Had leftovers for supper. Dane reheated some chicken and noodles and I had a repeat of last night's pork & mashed potatoes.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was beef soup in the Styrofoam cup. Hot water added to the fill line.
Slept all day; waking just to go to the bathroom.
The earache is a little better. No appetite. Maybe a toasted Thomas's Bagel with butter and orange marmalade. A nice cup of tea with honey.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Keep laying low, jimmy. This too shall pass.....

Unfortunately, it takes a little longer these days.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Labour Day Everyone!

Its an eye round in the Big George rotisserie ....frozen french fries
The Meat slicer gets pulled out and with nice rolls, we have Roy Rogers
roast beef sandwiches.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, I remember the REAL Roy Rogers' Roast Beef Sandwiches!

Wafer thin slices of REAL beef, sliced off a big old chunk of beef roast ~ not the 'parts' stuff they try to pass off today. Loved that place.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a chicken stir fry ~ marinated the chicken in the Korean BBQ Kalbi sauce, added onion, carrot, celery and bok choy stems & leaves. As usual, I ended up with WAY too much. So, what will get eaten will be lunches and when we tire of it, out it goes! I don't know why it never seems like too much veg when I'm cutting them up.....

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper??? 09_03_10

Bugster2

Bugster2

Poor Jimmy! Children are walking petri dishes and their germs seem so much worse when you catch something. My sister was sick for an entire year when her son was two years old. She never got over the first cold before she caught a second.

Speaking of rotisseries Jimmy, I have/had a Ronco that I can't find. I thought maybe it somehow got lost in the move so I looked into replacing it. Can't. Ronco declared bankruptcy in April. I looked for another brand but can't find anyone who makes one. Looks like Foreman also stopped making one. If I can't locate my unit I guess I will look on Craigslist for one.

Niagara Visitor

I made a delicious bean salad yesterday.................... 3 different kinds of beans in one can, chopped carrots,. peppers, cucumbers, a whole bunch of parsley, an oil and balsamic dressing.  Had the last of it today with a can of tuna thrown in.  Yumm!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:I made a delicious bean salad yesterday.................... 3 different kinds of beans in one can, chopped carrots,. peppers, cucumbers, a whole bunch of parsley, an oil and balsamic dressing.  Had the last of it today with a can of tuna thrown in.  Yumm!

String-type beans?
I make one with balsamic and blue cheese with onions and other stuff that I can't remember. It IS good with a balsamic dressing. A really good salad on a hot summer day.

I mentioned I had some peanut brittle that got a bit sticky from the humidity. Guess my container wasn't air-tight. I figured I had nothing to lose so I threw the brittle in a glass bowl and microwaved it till it was melted and bubbling and poured it back onto some buttered foil. Well, it worked. My brittle is now dry on the surface and brittle once again. I am using another lock container and hope it doesn't leak.

I have a recipe I want to try: chicken marsala meatballs. The meatballs sound a bit bland with only panko, onion and S&P. I also have a bag of chicken meatballs that Katie brought home. They have Italian seasoning. I wonder how Italian and Marsala would taste? I think I may make a test amount of sauce and see how it tastes with a chicken-Italian meatball.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, man, I remember the REAL Roy Rogers' Roast Beef Sandwiches!

Wafer thin slices of REAL beef, sliced off a big old chunk of beef roast ~ not the 'parts' stuff they try to pass off today.  Loved that place.

That's what she picked up. A whole eye round from the butcher shop. Not the pieced and tied together one. I shaved it on the slicer, and I toasted the buns. We had Beef Au Ju for dipping.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Poor Jimmy! Children are walking petri dishes and their germs seem so much worse when you catch something. My sister was sick for an entire year when her son was two years old. She never got over the first cold before she caught a second.

Speaking of rotisseries Jimmy, I have/had a Ronco that I can't find. I thought maybe it somehow got lost in the move so I looked into replacing it. Can't. Ronco declared bankruptcy in April. I looked for another brand but can't find anyone who makes one. Looks like Foreman also stopped making one. If I can't locate my unit I guess I will look on Craigslist for one.
Make sure you get the BIG George.

When the kids were little, we had the revolving cold in the house. every 4 days one got better, and another got sick ..... We had five to play russian roulette with.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:Oh, man, I remember the REAL Roy Rogers' Roast Beef Sandwiches!

Wafer thin slices of REAL beef, sliced off a big old chunk of beef roast ~ not the 'parts' stuff they try to pass off today.  Loved that place.

That's what she picked up. A whole eye round from the butcher shop. Not the pieced and tied together one. I shaved it on the slicer, and I toasted the buns.   We had Beef Au Ju for dipping.

It's a great cut of meat to smoke, too. Just love that there's no waste at all -- all meat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sauteed some chicken thighs ~ considered getting the grill going but we never know if the afternoon rains will happen or not. Steamed some yellow summer squash to sub in as potatoes and made our favorite, lima beans.

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper??? 09_04_10

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I made a delicious bean salad yesterday.................... 3 different kinds of beans in one can, chopped carrots,. peppers, cucumbers, a whole bunch of parsley, an oil and balsamic dressing.  Had the last of it today with a can of tuna thrown in.  Yumm!

String-type beans?
I make one with balsamic and blue cheese with onions and other stuff that I can't remember. It IS good with a balsamic dressing. A really good salad on a hot summer day.

I mentioned I had some peanut brittle that got a bit sticky from the humidity. Guess my container wasn't air-tight. I figured I had nothing to lose so I threw the brittle in a glass bowl and microwaved it till it was melted and bubbling and poured it back onto some buttered foil. Well, it worked. My brittle is now dry on the surface and brittle once again. I am using another lock container and hope it doesn't leak.

I have a recipe I want to try: chicken marsala meatballs. The meatballs sound a bit bland with only panko, onion and S&P. I also have a bag of chicken meatballs that Katie brought home. They have Italian seasoning. I wonder how Italian and Marsala would taste? I think I may make a test amount of sauce and see how it tastes with a chicken-Italian meatball.

No, it was kidney, chickpeas, black eyed beans, Lima and Romano beans all in one can!  Someone else did all the cooking of the beans. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I came across a corned beef brisket in the freezer the other day and took it out to thaw. Yesterday I simmered it for 3 - 4 hours, then scraped the fat off and strained the broth over in a clean Dutch oven. I placed it in a sinkfull of ice water to cool down and then let it rest in the refrigerator overnight.

Today I got it out and sliced it, put it into a small casserole dish with a bit of the cooking liquid. It went into a 300° oven for about 45 minutes to reheat. It's so much easier to slice in nice, clean slices when it's cold.

I put potatoes, onions, carrots & cabbage wedges in the pot of cooking liquid and simmered until all was tender.

There were absolutely no complaints from the 'Peanut Gallery' ~ I think he actually really enjoyed the St. Patrick's Day delight tonight!

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper??? 09_05_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I came across a corned beef brisket in the freezer the other day and took it out to thaw.  Yesterday I simmered it for 3 - 4 hours, then scraped the fat off and strained the broth over in a clean Dutch oven.  I placed it in a sinkfull of  ice water to cool down and then let it rest in the refrigerator overnight.  

Today I got it out and sliced it, put it into a small casserole dish with a bit of the cooking liquid.  It went into a 300° oven for about 45 minutes to reheat.  It's so much easier to slice in nice, clean slices when it's cold.

I put potatoes, onions, carrots & cabbage wedges in the pot of cooking liquid and simmered until all was tender.

There were absolutely no complaints from the 'Peanut Gallery' ~ I think he actually really enjoyed the St. Patrick's Day delight tonight!

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper??? 09_05_10

Looks good Beth!  Brian likes corned beef but doesn't like it boiled. He grills it and it comes out super. Plus he's not a boiled cabbage or carrot man -- I think he must've had one too many New England boiled dinners growing up. My sister turned him onto a sauce made of brown sugar and butter with corned beef so every time he grills it, that's what he wants with it. I must admit it's delicious with it but I always feel guilty having it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum