Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day

+5
1DomesticGoddess
NormM
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wish I knew what I was planning to make....

I'm afraid it's one of those 'indecision' days when nothing sounds good but I have to make something.

I guess I'll go back through the previous months and look for inspiration.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I wish I knew what I was planning to make....

I'm afraid it's one of those 'indecision' days when nothing sounds good but I have to make something.

I guess I'll go back through the previous months and look for inspiration.

Would you believe, I had a plan for supper today.
Finish the stuffed cabbages.
A side of ( I make sauteed onions and kidney beans ) with medium pasta shells. Drizzle of olive oil.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I'm afraid it's one of those 'indecision' days when nothing sounds good but I have to make something.

When we can't think of something to make for dinner, we usually decide on a really nice sandwich, like a BLT, a hot roast beef or a club, OR we decide that it's time for Breakfast for Dinner!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took a gander through some recipes on Allrecipes.com and came across one that I've heard of before but never made: Chicken Lombardi. It's nothing more than Chicken Marsala with the addition of green onions and mozzarella cheese. Mr. Amazing wasn't happy that I 'forced' him over his daily calorie limit, but, quite honestly, I didn't give a darn.....sometimes you just have to go with what sounds good ~ and Chicken Lombardi sounded really good to me!

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day IMG_20161101_172512483

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day IMG_20161101_172950637

NormM

NormM

I tried two new recipes today. One was for chicken Picata and the other one was a cornbread recipe from a grill in Cambridge Mass.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day DSCN3815_zps6tve0hkb

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I tried two new recipes today. One was for chicken Picata and the other one was a cornbread recipe from a grill in Cambridge Mass.

Two things! Looks good Norm. Is that a hot cherry pepper in the salad? If so, I love them.
Then there is something I picked to ask right away. The paper on the butter. Do you keep it like that in the fridge?..... Or on the counter?

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've seen that corn spoonbread recipe a lot on Pinterest lately. You can always tell Thanksgiving is on the way when you see that recipe resurface every year.

How was the addition of the milk in the picata? I think mine just calls for letting the sauce reduce in the pan fond with the flour from the chicken to help thicken (although I usually would add a bit more flour to the pan after I removed the browned filets).

Chicken Picata is one of my favorites but Mr. Amazing isn't a fan of anything 'lemon', except desserts. But I fix it once in a while and he mentions again how it's not his 'favorite'. I always comment something like, "oh, I didn't realize that...."

LOL

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:I tried two new recipes today. One was for chicken Picata and the other one was a cornbread recipe from a grill in Cambridge Mass.

Two things! Looks good Norm. Is that a hot cherry pepper in the salad? If so, I love them.
Then there is something I picked to ask right away. The paper on the butter. Do you keep it like that in the fridge?..... Or on the counter?

That is a cherry pepper and I love them to. Those and pepperoncinsi. I have kept butter out in a butter bell but have not used it in quite a while. I keep the paper on the butter and keep it in the fridge now. When I remember, though, I set it out at least half an hour ahead.

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:I've seen that corn spoonbread recipe a lot on Pinterest lately.  You can always tell Thanksgiving is on the way when you see that recipe resurface every year.

How was the addition of the milk in the picata? I think mine just calls for letting the sauce reduce in the pan fond with the flour from the chicken to help thicken (although I usually would add a bit more flour to the pan after I removed the browned filets).  

Chicken Picata is one of my favorites but Mr. Amazing isn't a fan of anything 'lemon', except desserts.  But I fix it once in a while and he mentions again how it's not his 'favorite'.  I always comment something like, "oh, I didn't realize that...."

LOL

Beth, I used the whole milk but I would have used cream if what I had had not settled out and thickened. The sauce did not thicken even though I added the mentioned amount of corn starch. Next time I will use cream and more corn starch and next time I think I will either use thin vermicelli instead of the thick kind I used or I'll try egg noodles. This recipe is very similar to the Martini Chicken I have often made but this one is easier because the coating is all flour and cheese together, and not the flour, egg, cheese coating, it uses more lemon juice and no wine and the chicken is done on stove top, not stove top then finished in the oven.

I have never noticed that corn bread recipe before but I am pretty sure we will be making it a lot from now on.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

We're having...

Marinated Venison Steaks and Mashed Potato Patties

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had leftover pizza and a beer.
Tina had pea soup.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's sister came for a 2-day visit/respite. We ended up going out for supper, which is a good thing, since she and I spent the entire day riding around the neighborhoods in the golf cart checking out the landscaping in different places.

When she's here she really likes just 'doing nothing' and having time to just relax. So, being the wonderful sister-in-law that I am, I volunteer to 'do nothing' WITH her! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

1DomesticGoddess wrote:We're having...

Marinated Venison Steaks and Mashed Potato Patties

I saw where Arby's is going to offer venison sandwiches in some "hunting" states. I have never eaten wild game before. If someone offers me some I will have a taste. I have had ostrich but found it to be inedible.

Last night we had parmesan chicken and a box of Noodle Roni. We are having a heat wave. It is in the 80's so Joe and Katie are going to the beach so no dinner tonight.

Last night we watched a documentary called "Dirty Old Wedge" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most, if not all of you have no idea what the "wedge" is. Out here in Newport Beach on the tip of the Balboa peninsula is a jetty that was built in the 1930's. What no one expected that it would create a wave phenomenon of shore-breakers that get over 20 feet high when the storm swells come in. It is known world-wide. So, the vintage footage took us back to when we were young and we would go to the Wedge and watch the body surfers get turned into mush from the pounding waves. Frankly, anyone with an I.Q of ground squirrel would never venture into those waters but it attracted a contingent of body surfers that liked to stare death in the face.
Tonight we are re-watching a documentary called "Orange Sunshine". It is about Laguna Beach, CA and when it was the world-wide supplier of LSD during the 60's. During that time that stuff was legal. JEEZ! Even though we lived in the area at that time, we had no idea what was going on. So, we will enjoy the vintage footage and marvel at the idiots that took the stuff.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a very strong respect for the ocean.....I'll walk in it up to my ankles.....that's it.

If we have grandchildren here and they want to go to the beach I only like it if the water temperature is too cold for them to be in past their knees. They can walk up & down the beach and look for sea creatures & shells but there's no need to make Grandma a nervous wreck worrying about them being carried out to sea on a rip tide or having a shark grab them.....yes, I can imagine the worst!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I have a very strong respect for the ocean.....I'll walk in it up to my ankles.....that's it.

If we have grandchildren here and they want to go to the beach I only like it if the water temperature is too cold for them to be in past their knees.  They can walk up & down the beach and look for sea creatures & shells but there's no need to make Grandma a nervous wreck worrying about them being carried out to sea on a rip tide or having a shark grab them.....yes, I can imagine the worst!

I am the same way Beth. Tina says I'm a Mr. Negative, and a "Jinx".
I look at it this way. I would rather eat shark, than have the shark eat me! And believe you me, there's a lot of Me to feed probably 10 sharks!

Niagara Visitor

My laptop's been in the computer hospital for several days......... again. I think that in laptop age 6 must be old. Got my old desk top fired up, and there seems to be a little life left in it.

I took a surprise out of my freezer a couple of days ago, and it was some stuffed peppers. Had some for two days, nothing tonight as far as eating goes. Can't swallow worth you know what. I have strep throat. I think I mus have swallowed some barbed wire!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:My laptop's been in the computer hospital for several days......... again. I think that in laptop  age 6 must be old.  Got my old desk top fired up, and there seems to be a little life left in it.  

I took a surprise out of my freezer a couple of days ago, and it was some stuffed peppers.  Had some for two days, nothing tonight as far as eating goes.  Can't swallow worth you know what.  I have strep throat.  I think I mus have swallowed some barbed wire!

Oh No Lore! Bless you ! ... Feel better soon. Hey! don't forget the gargle with salt water; and sip on lemon juice with honey added to it. Eat well done toast and swallow hard. Mom said, "It scratches the poison away!"
Lots of chicken broth / soup home made, and make sure it has garlic in it.
You probably heard this one...?.... My mom, god love her, she would rub our throats and chest with Vicks Vapo Rub. Then, before bed time, she would take a teaspoon and scoop just the tip of the spoon, of the Vicks Vapo Rup, about 1/8 tsp. , and we had to swallow it, and wash it down with hot tea. We never got sick from it, but boy, we got better fast. Laughing

Bugster2

Bugster2

A 6 year old laptop is truly ancient. They usually fail at about 3 years. Planned self destruction. Take care of that throat and take your meds.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:A 6 year old laptop is truly ancient. They usually fail at about 3 years. Planned self destruction. Take care of that throat and take your meds.

I've got in the back room, a dell desk top that is like 12 years old.
It has 80% memory left, but it is slow trying to process the fast speeds of today's internet standards. It's old Windows Vista which is no longer supported. I have to get the pics and stuff I saved loaded on a remote hard drive, and junk it.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy if you have any financial things on the laptop or other stuff that people can use against you, remove the hard drive after you have backed it up and smash it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy if you have any financial things on the laptop or other stuff that people can use against you, remove the hard drive after you have backed it up and smash it.

That's what I do. Thanks Bugs.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Okay~!!!!...
Supper ?? ?? ?? ..........Friday...yesss... Pizza ...?? YES! Take out? Hmmmm! .... Delivery??
YES! Better Yet!!!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Pizza sounds really good. We might do the same thing. I will have to pick off everything but the cheese and sauce and that will give me grief anyway.

We are dropping off our ballots today, maybe we can go to the California Pizza Kitchen for pizza afterwards.

I need some new mixing bowls. I have two sets of plastic ones that have seen better days. I don't like glass so the choice is between melamine or stainless and I will be downsizing to one set. What kind of mixing bowls do you have?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Pizza sounds really good. We might do the same thing. I will have to pick off everything but the cheese and sauce and that will give me grief anyway.

We are dropping off our ballots today, maybe we can go to the California Pizza Kitchen for pizza afterwards.

I need some new mixing bowls. I have two sets of plastic ones that have seen better days. I don't like glass so the choice is between melamine or stainless and I will be downsizing to one set. What kind of mixing bowls do you have?

Son Jimmy and wife just love CPK for pizza. It's not near us, but worth an hour drive. He likes the honey wheat crust with the bacon topping.

bethk

bethk
Admin

If I had to choose between melamine or stainless bowls, I'd get the stainless. You can't put them in the microwave but you CAN put them on heat (burners), over a pan of hot water to use as a double boiler, in the freezer or refrigerator......

Stainless Steel ~ my choice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum