Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
cookingirl
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I am going to try a new recipe called a Mexican Pizza. Pizza crust, refried beans, salsa, cheese, black olives, green onions and guacamole and sour cream to glom on top.

Sounds really good to me. I'd put my money on your homemade vs. anything you could get from Taco Bell, Deb.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My check-up at my Doc went well on Tuesday and so tonight I'm celebrating with a big pot of PASTA!

I have been extra hungry for pasta and have tried to refrain from having it because my blood sugar was elevated 3 months ago when I last had testing done. So, since I was fairly certain it was diet induced, I tried really hard to stay away from white carbs ~ pasta, white rice, white potatoes....BREAD.

I did try to make it a bit on the healthy side with chicken instead of beef and adding mushrooms to try to 'fake out' my tongue and make it think I was eating more than I really was.....The pasta sauce was a doctored up jar of RAO Marinara, really quite tasty. I added some spices, red pepper flakes and a 16 oz. container of my homemade tomato juice.

The corkscrew noodles had good bite to them so that really satisfied me.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 IMG_20161208_170702792

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My check-up at my Doc went well on Tuesday and so tonight I'm celebrating with a big pot of PASTA!

I have been extra hungry for pasta and have tried to refrain from having it because my blood sugar was elevated 3 months ago when I last had testing done.  So, since I was fairly certain it was diet induced, I tried really hard to stay away from white carbs ~ pasta, white rice, white potatoes....BREAD.  

I did try to make it a bit on the healthy side with chicken instead of beef and adding mushrooms to try to 'fake out' my tongue and make it think I was eating more than I really was.....The pasta sauce was a doctored up jar of RAO Marinara, really quite tasty.  I added some spices, red pepper flakes and a 16 oz. container of my homemade tomato juice.

The corkscrew noodles had good bite to them so that really satisfied me.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 IMG_20161208_170702792

Congratulations on the low health test readings.
Enjoy with good taste.
BTW.... those pasta shapes are great tasting!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was Take out Chinese.
Fried shrimp wit veggies for Tina...
Shrimp and scallops for me in a hot spicy sauce...
Shrimp Egg rolls.... and Pork fried rice.

NormM

NormM

First attempt at sous vide. It was strange to eat meat that was perfectly cooked all the way through. It was strange because every bite of meat was the same through and through. Then when I cooked it with the breading, the breading all came off. it came off in one piece, not in pieces. Maybe becaust the meat was cooked before it was breaded. Then there was this tape that showed how to make leg lamp cookies. It used store bought cookie dough and icing and looked easy. It wasn't. the cookies went into the oven nicely leg shaped and came out as a bunch of formless blobs. I tried to recut some of the cooked cookies but that did'nt work to well either. The icing came out in blobs and didn't spread at all like it did on the tape. Maybe I got the wrong kind of icing but it didn't matter because the cookies were messed up anyway.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 DSCN3879_zpsdhg5jyix

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 DSCN3877_zpsp9rcyx3h

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leg Lamp Cookies.....OMG! That is so cool! That is our favorite holiday movie of all time. A few years ago I gave our son-in-law a small 'Leg Lamp' and a Red Rider BB Gun. The lamp is on his bedside table and he has used the BB gun to try to scare a big raccoon away from their patio.

But I love the idea of the Leg Lamp cookies with the Reese cup candies as the shade. I'm going to have to give those a try next time DD#1 and son-in-law come to visit. In addition to him loving the movie (and having every line memorized), Reese Peanutbutter Cups are his favorite candy ever. Did you put the chocolate candies on before or after you baked the cookies?

NormM

NormM

All the icing and Peanut butter cups went on after the cookies were baked.

NormM

NormM

We had SV steaks tonight along with asparagus, salad and baked potato. The steak wasn't pretty because it was too cold outside to get a good char with the gas grill on the steaks after they were cooked through in the water bath.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Burgers tonight.

Question: should a meal be cooked when the cook is ready to do it or should the cook wait until people are ready to eat?

NormM

NormM

I plan my dinners for when my son usually gets home from work. If he isn't there then, i eat an put his dinner in the refrigerator.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I'll tell you what I won't be making: pear and rutabaga hand pies. This recipe was shown in a group of holiday pies on Food & Wine's website. Who comes up with these things? Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. BLECH!
Food & Wine has got to be the worst site to try and navigate. All those ads and this huge drop-down you can't get rid of. It takes forever. Another pie was a fig tart. Double yuck! I can't stand the texture of figs nor the appearance. They look like testicles from some alien.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I'll tell you what I won't be making: pear and rutabaga hand pies. This recipe was shown in a group of holiday pies on Food & Wine's website. Who comes up with these things? Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. BLECH!
Food & Wine has got to be the worst site to try and navigate. All those ads and this huge drop-down you can't get rid of. It takes forever. Another pie was a fig tart. Double yuck! I can't stand the texture of figs nor the appearance. They look like testicles from some alien.

I don't like fresh figs, but we always had the dry ones on a rope.
My mom used to stuff them with nuts and cheese fillings.
Did the same with dates too!
Now I cant eat the figs. ( Seeds not good for diverticulitis ) No affraid

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper so far, is a pound of ground chuck that Tina took out to thaw on the counter.
We're watching the baby today. The kids went to NYC to see a show and dinner.

I guess If I want sloppy Joes, I better make them myself. The last batch was a disaster; when Tina made them in the cast iron fry pan. We both learned a lesson not to cook tomatoes ( acid ) in a cast iron pot / pan.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I adore figs. Wish I had a bigger yard and I'd have a fig tree. I like them dried, too, and stuffed. The dried ones make really good appetizers when jazzed up with goat cheese or gorgonzola, with almonds or walnuts, too. They're also good stuffed and wrapped with bacon.

I love fig preserves, too, which we've been having on toasted English muffins lately. Delish! I always wish I knew someone with a fig tree so I could not only make my own fig preserves but use the fresh figs in other ways, too.

Bugster2

Bugster2

The only way I like figs is in a Fig Newton. I can still remember the fig trees we had when I was a child. Full of rotting smelly fruit and full of ants.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The only way I like figs is in a Fig Newton. I can still remember the fig trees we had when I was a child. Full of rotting smelly fruit and full of ants.

Hey Debbie, ..... did you notice how they cut down on the amount of filling in those cookies? .... They make berry filled ones now too! I think?

The cookie is smaller too...

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, I can't remember the last time I had a Fig Newton. It has been decades. Seems everyone is downsizing and charging as much or more for less. I can remember getting a good candy bar for 5 cents. This is when I was about 11 or 12. Movies were 50 cents and McDonalds fries were 12 1/2 cents (they really used the half cent thing back in those days). Winchell's donuts were like 6 1/2 cents each. I Remember getting full serve at the gas station along with blue or green chip stamps. Some stations gave away drinking glasses and towels. Then everyone had one of those Union 76 gas station balls shoved on their car antennas.

bethk

bethk
Admin

When Mr. Amazing went to the grocery store with me last week I mentioned if he didn't come up with some suggestions for meals I might have to resort to finding something in the frozen foods aisle.....so that's when he came up with a Mexican meal (unfortunately, the one I chose was NOT the one he was hungry for so we'll have tacos some evening this week ~ LOL) and he said we hadn't had a Boiled Dinner in a long while. So, a New England Boiled Dinner was on the table tonight......

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 IMG_20161211_170821196

Johnsonville Beef Smoked Brats, cabbage, green beans, onions, carrots and WHITE potatoes ~ Woo Hoo!!! White potatoes twice in one week!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 IMG_20161211_171245180_HDR

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:When Mr. Amazing went to the grocery store with me last week I mentioned if he didn't come up with some suggestions for meals I might have to resort to finding something in the frozen foods aisle.....so that's when he came up with a Mexican meal (unfortunately, the one I chose was NOT the one he was hungry for so we'll have tacos some evening this week ~ LOL) and he said we hadn't had a Boiled Dinner in a long while.  So, a New England Boiled Dinner was on the table tonight......

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 IMG_20161211_170821196

Johnsonville Beef Smoked Brats, cabbage, green beans, onions, carrots and WHITE potatoes ~ Woo Hoo!!!  White potatoes twice in one week!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 IMG_20161211_171245180_HDR

I usually try not to reprint photos, Beth, but your dinner looked so good I just had to do so. Brian (who's FROM New England) wouldn't touch a thing on that plate other than the sausages, but I would clean my plate and then try to do the same to his! Looks fantastic, especially given the chilly weather we've had since Thursday.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That supper has been a standard for me since I was a child. We use to get Dinner Bell smoked ring sausage but when Dinner Bell brand went out of business the closest I can find to the smoke and texture of the sausage is the Johnsonville brand.

We're both stuffed and quite happy with our meal.....and, when I look at it now I think, other than the fact that I mashed up a whole potato and covered it in butter, that it's really a fairly low calorie meal. There is enough leftover to have a lunch later in the week. I'm wondering which one of us reheats it???

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:That supper has been a standard for me since I was a child.  We use to get Dinner Bell smoked ring sausage but when Dinner Bell brand went out of business the closest I can find to the smoke and texture of the sausage is the Johnsonville brand.  

We're both stuffed and quite happy with our meal.....and, when I look at it now I think, other than the fact that I mashed up a whole potato and covered it in butter, that it's really a fairly low calorie meal.  There is enough leftover to have a lunch later in the week.  I'm wondering which one of us reheats it???

I'd be picking at it tonight before I went to bed.
It surely does look healthy. Smart choice for supper tonight Beth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has frozen veggie soup shes thawing for HER supper tonight.
I had a Sub sandwich for lunch. into supper, so later, I will have some fried eggs over medium, and toast later. DD is over helping put the lights on the big tree in the living room.
We put a tree in the dining room too this year. Grrrrrrr! I say no more!

NormM

NormM

Son posted a picture and recipe for creamy tortellini soup and it looked good so I made it for supper.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 3 DSCN3883_zpsppcqrbvd

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, do you have snow? That looks like a 'snowy night supper' to me!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, that does indeed look delicious! Wish I was there to snag a bowl of it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum