Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
cookingirl
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a slow cooker pot roast last night. Tonight I am making sandwich melts from the leftovers.

I am watching re-runs of extreme couponing. How do they do it? Where do these people live? Out here in CA, no stores double their coupons and there are no sales where you get something free.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I would surely like to know, where do you get the steam and push, to cook a full meal every day? .... We used to do it, but as our age and appetites changed, we are sometimes forced to cook a meal.

If Mr. Amazing would eat more during the day and not be so hungry by 5 pm I would probably not cook a real 'meal' every evening. But he 'saves' his calories so he can eat as he's ALWAYS eaten for the (almost) 50 years we've been married.

The hardest thing is coming up with an idea....and it's been increasingly more and more difficult since 'he' started counting calories and shunning white carbs. Right now I would probably hit him in the head just to be able to sit down to a big old casserole dish of Scalloped Potatoes & Ham ~ the meal I really wanted the other night. But, since my best friend is down with illness I wouldn't have a 'witness' to swear I was with her when he dropped from his injuries, I did the lower carb sweet potato instead.....

So, in answer to your question ~ I don't mind the cooking, it's the menu ideas I run out of and struggle with. I get tired of the same-old, same-old and I want something different to prepare.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am putting this here so everyone will see it. Amazon has a group of Kindle cookbooks that are up to 80% off today only. For example: The Kindle version of the French Laundry Cookbook is $2.99. That book is very expensive if purchased hardbound. I hope this link works.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_6165845011_pe_837390_217799300?rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Cn%3A6165845011%2Cn%3A6165845011&ie=UTF8&node=6165845011

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Bugs! I've got $15 credit left on a gift card I entered a year ago....gonna finish it out today!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think I just bought 4 or 5 of them. The Kindle preview is not good. Look at the hardcover version to get a better idea of what you would be getting.

bethk

bethk
Admin

As long as I still had $$ on my gift card (which Lyn gave me when she found it after they stopped using the Kindle and now use their Ipads)....it's like getting a bunch of cookbooks for free. I rarely cook with any of the recipes but love to read about different ideas. I'm such a boring cook.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing mentioned wanting a Mexican meal....POOF! Chicken Enchilada Casserole tonight!

See how easy it is for me to plan a meal if a certain somebody will just give me a hint of what he might be hungry for? Of course, I could have asked if he wanted tacos or beef & bean burritos....but I was hungry for the chicken enchiladas so I didn't bother asking......Sneaky Pete that I am!

It always surprises me that he doesn't mind not having cheese on his enchiladas ~ seems that's the ONLY way they are prepared at a restaurant. If he wanted cheese in/on his I would have no problem making two separate casserole dishes, it's that easy to make.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh my goodness....I'm stuffed and supper was exactly what I was hungry for ~ Mr. Amazing was super happy, too!  That equals a huge "YES" for tonight's supper.

I don't remember where I found the recipe but it fits the bill when we want a 'Mexican' meal, although, truth be told, it's probably as far away from TRUE Mexican fare as you can get.  But we like it and we both consider it our 'Mexican Supper Fix'!

The filling is nothing more than some shredded chicken (I used 1 - 1/2 (half) breasts), a can of mild green chilies and 1/2 c. of sour cream.

That was enough filling for 8 small flour tortillas (approximately 8").

I open a 15 oz. can of Green Enchilada Sauce and put about 1/3 in the bottom of a PAM sprayed Pyrex casserole dish.  Then the 8 rolled/filled tortillas and the rest of the can of Enchilada Sauce is poured over top (I wiggle the filled tortillas so the sauce gets between each one).  Then the covered casserole goes into the oven at 350° for about 45 minutes or until it's bubbly.  I let it sit for about 5 minutes to settle down before serving ~ 3 for Mr. Amazing and 2 for me (which leaves 3 for a supper for later in the week for HIM).

Then, when served on the plates.....a big spoonful of 1/2 c. sour cream w/1/2 c. green salsa verde, some shredded lettuce, sliced green onions, sliced black olives & chopped (seeded) tomatoes.  Mr. Amazing adds a few splashes of hot sauce to his before adding his toppings.  If I had some ripe avacado, I'd add those, too.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 2 IMG_20161206_171641230

You could follow the original recipe and add some grated cheese to the chicken filling and sprinkle more on top of the rolled enchiladas. Make it ooeeyy-gooeeyy!

Last edited by bethk on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beef stew tonight. French bread to sop up the gravy and juices.
Son and DIL stopped over after work.

bethk

bethk
Admin

There you go, Jimmy.....a REAL supper and a good one!

That reminds me ~ I think I've got a container of beef stew in the freezer. All I have to do is cook some potatoes to add because I don't like the taste of the potatoes when they've been frozen. So I freeze the stew sans potato and add it when reheating.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a bag of PF Chang's sesame chicken, a box of the egg rolls and fried rice. This was split between two people because I can't eat things with heat. I scrambled some eggs with cheese in them. My husband eats his dinner and 15 minutes later tells me he is still hungry. So I scramble 3 more eggs and make a piece of toast to feed him. After all that food he wasn't sure he had enough. OINK!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I had a bag of PF Chang's sesame chicken, a box of the egg rolls and fried rice. This was split between two people because I can't eat things with heat. I scrambled some eggs with cheese in them. My husband eats his dinner and 15 minutes later tells me he is still hungry. So I scramble 3 more eggs and make a piece of toast to feed him. After all that food he wasn't sure he had enough. OINK!

I get hungry like that when I skip breakfast and lunch.
I'll then eat supper at like 5 - 5:30, and then by 9:00 I am looking for something.
Tonight, we had beef stew....I had 3 small slices of baguet and butter. By 9:30, I was wishing for a tuna salad on a slice of white bread folded in half.

Now, reading your post, I want scrambled eggs and cheese pieces scrambled as cooked in them. Believe me, we got plenty of eggs. Maria was up at the Auction here in town. I think they sold some goats, and while she was there, she brought over a case of extra large brown eggs. 30 Dozen for 40.00. ..... We took 15 dozen. She will take the rest, and share with another farmer friend of theirs.

We all love eggs! I just now boiled like 8 to make egg salad for sandwiches. I mash the eggs in a bowl with a pastry cutter. I make the egg mixture fine as opposed to having big pieces in it. I don't know what it is, but I don't like big pieces of the eggs white, roaming around in my mouth as I chew. pale It just makes me sick. December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 2 2363720550

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I forgot to mention, I MUST always have a bite of bread or toast or roll whilst I eat eggs made any way. Even a hard egg, sprinkled with salt. I have to have a cracker or bread to chew with it.
My Son, God love him, will eat eggs over medium, and eat all the whites being careful to not break and let the yolk run, and with now bread. I can't even watch him chew the eggs either.
Then, he will dip his roll or toast in the liquid yolk, and sweep up every bit of it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

We all love eggs! I just now boiled like 8 to make egg salad for sandwiches. I mash the eggs in a bowl with a pastry cutter. I make the egg mixture fine as opposed to having big pieces in it. I don't know what it is, but I don't like big pieces of the eggs white, roaming around in my mouth as I chew.  pale  It just makes me sick.  December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 2 2363720550  [/size]

Jimmy....got a way to get finely 'chopped' eggs for egg salad that's super quick & easy. I figured it out quite by accident.

Use a box grater.

Man, the eggs just 'smush' through, quick and easy as can be ~ and all nice and tiny. A quick rinse and the thing is cleaned up.

NormM

NormM

Whenever I have eggs with soft yolks, I always put them on top of a slice of toast and eat them together.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

We all love eggs! I just now boiled like 8 to make egg salad for sandwiches. I mash the eggs in a bowl with a pastry cutter. I make the egg mixture fine as opposed to having big pieces in it. I don't know what it is, but I don't like big pieces of the eggs white, roaming around in my mouth as I chew.  pale  It just makes me sick.  December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 2 2363720550  [/size]

Jimmy....got a way to get finely 'chopped' eggs for egg salad that's super quick & easy.  I figured it out quite by accident.

Use a box grater.  

Man, the eggs just 'smush' through, quick and easy as can be ~ and all nice and tiny.  A quick rinse and the thing is cleaned up.

Thanks for the tip Beth! .... I will try it next time.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have an OXO egg slicer that dices eggs into about 1/4 inch chunks. I really like it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Whenever I have eggs with soft yolks, I always put them on top of a slice of toast and eat them together.

Sounds like a good way to eat them like that.

I guess that's why they say, "The Incredible; Edible EGG!"

I wanted a sliced egg sandwich on white sliced bread, with black pepper and mayo, with Bread and Butter pickles on the side. Tina said, just use the egg salad in the refrigerator.
No, I said! .... There is a different taste! ... She said, "It all tastes the same to me!"...
I disagree! .... the taste is way different!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have an OXO egg slicer that dices eggs into about 1/4 inch chunks. I really like it.

I remember, the old way to make egg salad, was to use a fork, and mash the whites through the tines of the fork.
A lotta bent forks!

For sliced eggs, we have one of those hinged plastic frames with wires.
Sure beats slicing with a knife...

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're going to a neighborhood Patio Party for the Holiday this afternoon. I'm making a casserole dish of dressing and a Crock Pot of gravy (to go with the host's fried chicken).

Then I thought, Hey, It's Christmas (although with temperatures in the high 70's it's a stretch of my imagination) ~ I need to take some Christmas Cookies!

So, I whipped up the Easy Peasey Coconut Macaroons.

One I call 'Almond Joy' Macaroons ~ a pile of slivered almonds on the cookie sheet and the coconut batter plopped on top, added a chocolate kiss as soon as they were out of the oven.

The other ones are regular coconut macaroons with Sparkle Sugar added for shine.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 2 IMG_20161207_135652544

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 2 IMG_20161207_140525415

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Gumbo lets you add just about anything you want, as long as they go together.  I have an old one that uses water chestnuts.  Lots of people laugh at me when they see it but the crunch in kind or nice. It doesn't go limp like celery.

That's one ingredient I've not seen in gumbo before but today I see gumbo recipes with all kinds of ingredients in them. Most of the gumbos with just about anything in them tend to be regarded more as soups or stews down here. Though everyone makes theirs a little differently, people are almost proprietary about what constitutes a true gumbo. I say put whatever you want in it if you're the one making it and that's what you want, even though I personally stick to the old ways of my family. Gumbo has become something like chili -- everyone makes their own version even though someone else will holler, "That's not chili!"

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:We had a slow cooker pot roast last night. Tonight I am making sandwich melts from the leftovers.

I am watching re-runs of extreme couponing. How do they do it? Where do these people live? Out here in CA, no stores double their coupons and there are no sales where you get something free.

Same thing here, Bugs.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am going to try a new recipe called a Mexican Pizza. Pizza crust, refried beans, salsa, cheese, black olives, green onions and guacamole and sour cream to glom on top.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am going to try a new recipe called a Mexican Pizza. Pizza crust, refried beans, salsa, cheese, black olives, green onions and guacamole and sour cream to glom on top.

They are not bad Debbie.... They sell them at Taco Bell. Tina loves them.
They are with meat here, and no guacamole.

Bugster2

Bugster2

They loved the pizza. I am going to tTaco Bell sometime and buy one to see how it tastes compared to mine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum