Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
cookingirl
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It must have been good if you ended up with 'thirds'!  Good for you guys on a meal that you didn't know you were hungry for until it got to the table!

Yeah! And I measured the wine I opened to rinse down the meal.
It was half empty / full.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thought I should give his system a rest from the 'heavy' carb suppers I've been making him so tonight was 'naked' chicken fingers (chicken breast w/seasoning & NO coating) simply sauteed in a little evoo, roasted cauliflower w/evoo, red chili flakes and s&p, and some lima beans, not that they're not full of carbs but because he REALLY likes them! LOL

I had my chicken with some sweet chili sauce to dip in.......

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 7 IMG_20161220_170453824

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had pee... i zee... zee aye ! From Carmines in Netcong.
Used to be good! .... NOT ,,..... tough and chewy.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Michelle, I layered the potatoes & onions in the casserole dish raw and poured the thin white sauce over, topped off with some half & half to help be sure it surrounded all the potatoes. Then I baked it, covered, for about 2 hours. The last half hour I topped it with the ham slices and returned it to the oven on the foil lined baking sheet ~ glad I did that because the ham was just enough more in the dish to cause it to overflow and it would have made a mess in the oven!

I wonder if I could do this with raw potatoes and raw onions and then add in cheese and cooked bacon later. Seems like it would be a hot mess to deal with though. If I made it in a deep casserole about half full, I guess I would have enough room to mix in cheese and bacon later. What do you think, Beth? It would be easier like this and I'm all for easy these days....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, I'd layer the raw potatoes & onions and then pour over your thinned out cheese sauce and bake until done. That way the flavors all cook together. The last 15 minutes or so I'd add a bit more cheese to the top and finally the bacon so it stays crispy......but that's just me. You can make it any way you prefer.

I'm not much on 'recipes', except for baking. When I'm 'cooking' I just sort of change up what I do and play around to get different results just to see what happens. I can't remember when I last made a dish that we could not eat! LOL Well, there WAS that time I added citrus fruit to the pork roast like a rolled stuffing ~ man, THAT was gross!

Hahahahahaha! My girls STILL laugh about it and remind me that was the year I stopped ordering 'band fruit' from them and the school's fundraiser.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy ~ If you happen to talk to Evelyn, please tell her 'Happy Birthday', Merry Christmas and wish her a very blessed, happy and healthy New Year.

Thanks!

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight.....

I cooked and baked all day ~ all the prep I can get done before the holiday is done today.

Nothing to do until Friday when we do our final shopping trip to pick up the ordered rib roast and vegetables for Sunday dinner.

So, tonight is carry-out (carried in to my house) of salads.

Applebee's 2 for $20 ~ Mozzarella Sticks Appetizer & two Oriental Chicken Salads. HE even volunteered to drive the 2 miles and back to retrieve our supper so I didn't have to leave my chair!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 7 IMG_20161221_173609552

NormM

NormM

Dinner was pretty easy. Ham steak, green beans, mac & cheese and a salad.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 7 DSCN3908_zps3dx3kxpo

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy ~ If you happen to talk to Evelyn, please tell her 'Happy Birthday', Merry Christmas and wish her a very blessed, happy and healthy New Year.

Thanks!

Beth, I sent Evelyn the link of the post, and here is her response.....
She had explained to me, she lost her password for the forum, and she gets her laptop back, she will drop by and say hello!
She had met two other stage 4 cancer patients in her medical visits, and one on line. They all showed improvements and cancer reduction with taking the mushroom supplements, and as a matter of fact, one with pancreatic cancer, the cancer disappeared. The Doctors cannot believe it!

Evelyn's response:

Hi Jimmy,
I was so touched by Beth's remembering me and my Christmas Eve birthday that, as I have aged, has become lost in the Christmas shuffle of shopping, parties, presents, etc. I turn 3/4 of a century this year having fought lung cancer since it was found by accident in Feb. 2009 already at Stage 3. I never smoked! I became a researcher in my retirement from teaching first grade for 34 years and, in March of 2014, added 4 mushrooms to my supplements that took me off cholesterol meds and meds for high BP and reduced my insulin use. In fact, my cholesterol test was below normal and my BP is, at rest, 110/60. The best part is that the PET/CT scans showed a turn around just 3 months after adding the mushrooms. Every scan from that point on was better than the previous one. On July 8, 2016, the cancer was completely gone! My oncologist calls me a medical miracle and told me he has NEVER had a lung cancer patient go from Stage 4 to cancer free. I spend all my free time sharing my research with others in hopes of defeating cancer with a food and not a drug! So far, a college alumni with prostate cancer has a PSA of 0.1 and a teacher's husband with bladder cancer (which had been removed) took the mushrooms for only 1 1/2 months and the cancer left in his lymph node in his back between two major arteries disappeared. The chemo was no longer working and the cancer wanted to grow so they tried the mushrooms. They work for other cancers as well. You may share my email address or cell # with anyone who would like me to send them info on the exact bottles I ordered.
And please thank Beth for her thoughtfulness!
Love and hugs to you and Tina,
Evelyn

Sent from my iPad

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Evelyn's response:

Hi Jimmy,
    I was so touched by Beth's remembering me and my Christmas Eve birthday that, as I have aged, has become lost in the Christmas shuffle of shopping, parties, presents, etc. I turn 3/4 of a century this year having fought  lung cancer since it was found by accident in Feb. 2009 already at Stage 3. I never smoked! I became a researcher in my retirement from teaching first grade for 34 years and, in March of 2014, added 4 mushrooms to my supplements that took me off cholesterol meds and meds for high BP and reduced my insulin use. In fact, my cholesterol test was below normal and my BP is, at rest, 110/60. The best part is that the PET/CT scans showed a turn around just 3 months after adding the mushrooms. Every scan from that point on was better than the previous one. On July 8, 2016, the cancer was completely gone! My oncologist calls me a medical miracle and told me he has NEVER had a lung cancer patient go from Stage 4 to cancer free. I spend all my free time sharing my research with others in hopes of defeating cancer with a food and not a drug! So far, a college alumni with prostate cancer has a PSA of 0.1 and a teacher's husband with bladder cancer (which had been removed) took the mushrooms for only 1 1/2 months and the cancer left in his lymph node in his back between two major arteries disappeared. The chemo was no longer working and the cancer wanted to grow so they tried the mushrooms. They work for other cancers as well. You may share my email address or cell # with anyone who would like me to send them info on the exact bottles I ordered.
    And please thank Beth for her thoughtfulness!
    Love and hugs to you and Tina,
    Evelyn

Sent from my iPad

How absolutely wonderful for Evelyn! I still have her research information on the vinegar!

It is so very typical of her to 'always be the teacher' and share her wealth of information with others ~ especially with such a notable list of 'success' stories!

May God bless and keep her safe & healthy for many more years!
Sending love from me to her....
beth

Bugster2

Bugster2

I would really be interested in knowing all about those mushroom supplements. I probably will need it some day.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Michelle, I'd layer the raw potatoes & onions and then pour over your thinned out cheese sauce and bake until done. That way the flavors all cook together. The last 15 minutes or so I'd add a bit more cheese to the top and finally the bacon so it stays crispy......but that's just me. You can make it any way you prefer.

I think you're right about some thin cheese sauce, as I have to make it really cheesy for him to eat the potatoes. Just putting more cheese on top wouldn't cut it. Letting the oven cook the potatoes instead of boiling them ahead of time would be easier for me. These days, with my back the way it is (and really terrible pain in my left shoulder which I've yet to have the orthopedist investigate), I'm all about easy. It has been very difficult for me to give into doing something a certain way just 'cause it's easier. But I'm gradually getting there...

I cook lots of stuff without recipes, too, but I do enjoy trying new things and trying new ways to make old things so am always reading cooking magazines and the internet to get ideas. It keeps our dinners interesting, as I get bored cooking the same things over and over.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I get bored too. I am going to try a new potato gratin recipe that mixes red sweet potatoes and russets in a cream sauce.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs, I've seen recipes like that and they always look so pretty to me when you serve....

Let us know how it turns out!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a loss of what to cook for supper. Nothing in the freezer looked good to me. But I finally settled on a package of boneless country pork ribs ~ I think it's just chunked up pork roast, but, hey, I'm no butcher so maybe it really was off the ribs! LOL

I thawed them and then let them sit and marinate in a mixture of my Asian sauce and a little individual container of applesauce ~ too lazy to actually grate a fresh apple in to help break down the meat. I just poured it all into a casserole dish and baked it for 1 1/2 hours along side a spaghetti squash and a sweet potato for Mr. Amazing because he only likes spaghetti squash if we have it with marinara. The squash was HUGE so the leftovers (3/4 of the squash) will get shredded into 'spaghetti strings' and have marinara poured over.

I also cooked some mixed vegetables in the microwave....don't usually do that but that's what the instructions said so I gave it a try. They came out fine and there wasn't even a pan to wash! Love these new-fangled ideas at the grocery store! LOL

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 7 IMG_20161222_174014001

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper Was a pot roast in the slow cooker all day. Came out great.
Mashed potatoes and gravy made from the pot juices.
Krispy Kreme doughnuts for dessert. My face has a smile. And my belly has a new dimple.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pot roast is SUCH a wonderful comfort food for a cold winter night!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Pot roast is SUCH a wonderful comfort food for a cold winter night!

Yep!.... and the best part ( for me ) is that cold leftover sliced beef, with mayo ... ummm bite, bite, bite, love it, love it, love it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went all out and fixed marinara over spaghetti squash.....the marinara was a container from the freezer and the spaghetti squash was leftover from last night's supper. PHEW! My microwave had a real workout, that's for sure!

I spent most of the day with Lyn....she had a doctor appointment this morning and then we went to Fresh Market to get the last of the supplies for Christmas dinner on Sunday and then out to lunch for soup & salad.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 7 IMG_20161223_171009414

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I spent most of the day with Lyn....she had a doctor appointment this morning and then we went to Fresh Market to get the last of the supplies for Christmas dinner on Sunday and then out to lunch for soup & salad.

Brian went out to pick up a handful of things we needed too prior to Sunday. He said it was a nightmare in the store. I can only imagine how bad it will be tomorrow.

I don't bemoan the fact that it's no longer windy and in the mid 40s but sure wish it wouldn't be in the mid to high 70s on Christmas. Kind of humid, too. I'd prefer cooler weather for a holiday but am glad it won't rain, as I look forward to seeing kids ride by on their new bikes. Never seems to get old for me....

bethk

bethk
Admin

My sister-in-law, Cheryle, did all the cooking for her Christmas Eve buffet, I just contributed some sugar cookies at her request.

She made all the things she's been hungry for but doesn't usually get. She started with a pitcher of Peach Sangria (like I took on Thanksgiving that she liked so much). She made homemade Chex Mix, Spinach Dip, Pita Chips w/fresh Salsa, along with a huge relish tray with veg, olives & pickles and a final appetizer of Little Smokes in Crescent. For the main dishes she had a Glazed Spiral Cut Ham, Twice Baked Potatoes, Praline Sweet Potatoes, Greens and Hocks ~ and her daughter-in-law made a pan of Corn Custard. For dessert she made a really moist and chocolatey Bundt Cake all dressed up with Strawberries & Raspberries. NO ONE left hungry, that's for sure!

She was so proud of herself ~ by managing it all on her own she was able to get some of her old confidence back and, although a little tired, was very happy the meal came together with no glitches. The only contribution I made was helping to get things in and out of the oven on time and assisting here and there.....I wanted to let her do it all so when she gets down I can remind her of the great job she did and say, "Atta Girl, you did great! I'm so proud of you!"

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a beef chuck roast thawing in the sink.....leftover mashed potatoes will go with it, topped by the gravy I'm sure I'll make. I have to go through the refrigerator and see what veg I have. I think I have green beans and carrots.....thinking of combining them for the color.

I should be making salads but it just doesn't sound tasty to me. For the longest time I served a small mixed vegetable salad with most every supper. Then we found neither one of us was finishing ours and so I just stopped making them. I don't know how to get back into enjoying that healthy part of the meal......

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Number one, sounds like you had a great time at SIL's .
Nothing quite like a well orchestrated meal.
Not complaining, but it didn't happen here. If it weren't for DD, it would have been a disaster.
The baby was cranky and crying, so that set the mood for a distraction at meal time.

The kids, started opening gifts, and passing around gifts, all while Tina was trying to serve the meal.
It simmered down after a while, and thankfully, everyone was finally seated at the dinner table.

After the feast, DD did ALL the clean up.

I can't wait, to get back to a normal burgers and sandwiches for meals. I say that now, but I'll be hugging that ham, picking at it with a paring knife. LOL

All in All.... It was great. ( after the smoke cleared ).

bethk

bethk
Admin

I remember how much fun it was to host big family holiday meals when our girls were still living at home. After they married we still had the meals for quite a few years. Then, we were finally invited to spend the holiday at DD#1's home - travel the 4 hrs. there, spend the weekend and just enjoy having someone else do the work.

It's time for someone else to step up to the plate, Jimmy. Don't accept the excuse of "Our house is too small" ~ they can always improvise. Unless they live in a tent ('cause that would be really uncomfortable for Tina)..... It's time for someone else to clean and cook and take over the labor of the holidays so you and Tina can be the guests of honor.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I remember how much fun it was to host big family holiday meals when our girls were still living at home.  After they married we still had the meals for quite a few years.  Then, we were finally invited to spend the holiday at DD#1's home - travel the 4 hrs. there, spend the weekend and just enjoy having someone else do the work.

It's time for someone else to step up to the plate, Jimmy.  Don't accept the excuse of "Our house is too small" ~ they can always improvise.  Unless they live in a tent ('cause that would be really uncomfortable for Tina).....  It's time for someone else to clean and cook and take over the labor of the holidays so you and Tina can be the guests of honor.  

We don't mind having the meals here. It's that, if one says they will bring string beans and cauliflower, that doesn't mean start cooking them at 1 hour before the sit down.

I am the bad guy, because, I mentioned cook everything ahead of time, and just put it in foil pans and throw them in the oven 20 minutes before the sit down. I did it with the kielbasi, and it was hot and moist when I opened the foil top, and set it on the counter.
I am out numbered when it comes to setting the table. They say,"It doesn't look pretty if it's already sliced!" No No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum