Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
cookingirl
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Imelda, your pork loin looks good, but I'm much like you....too lean and not enough flavor for me.  I much prefer my pork with more fat, especially if I'm going to brown it and let the fat render and get crispy.

Next time you have to cook the loin chops that Dane likes, Beth, try that Bacon-Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin recipe but on the chops instead.  I've done that a couple of times and it turns out really quite good -- the bacon keeps the chops moist and browns up really nicely.  And then the sauce, of course, is the icing on the cake.  Plus, I cook the chops until they're no more than 135°F, as they keep cooking a tad as they rest.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

All this talk about yum yum ; tam tam; and yam yam sauce ..... Dum Dum Jimmy is thinking of a way to make Shrimp Taco's or seafood filled Taco's ??/ Hummm!

bethk

bethk
Admin

If you do an internet search for 'Chinese Yum Yum' or 'Chinese Bang-Bang' sauce you'll find more than enough copy cat recipes. I think the one I got the ingredient list from was the allrecipes.com site ~ but any cooking / recipe site will do.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This sauce sounds good! Simple too!
Ooooo! Y know what would be good? Way back in the stacks of threads, there was a post; I think by Norm? for Louisianan Shrimp ( spicy ). If that could be thickened, it would be awesome for seafood.
I saved it someplace; I have to see if I have it, or if it's on Norms Blog!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238599/baja-sauce-for-fish-or-shrimp-tacos/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%205

NormM

NormM

Thank you.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Thank you.

I found the recipe for the killer shrimp in my files.

Haaa... the frozen shrimp is freezer burnt, so the shrimp is off the list for now.
I did find some nice thin round steak, and I will make some Italian style Chicken fried steaks.
Tina isn't too keen on shrimp either.

NormM

NormM

I looked up the Bang Bang Shrimp Beth mentioned. It looks good. I think I will try it in the near future.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's easy, Norm....just fried shrimp tossed in the Bang-Bang sauce.  I like to make mine a little spicier than the recipe calls for so I just add extra Sambal Oelek hot chili sauce.  That's my 'new' go-to for adding flavor, we like it better than the sriracha.

What always amazes me is the price $$ they charge for the stuff at the restaurant. And people go back again & again just to order it.

NormM

NormM

I saw a few recipes and this one looked like the one I want to try.

BANG BANG SHRIMP
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
This tastes just like Cheesecake Factory’s version, except it’s way cheaper and so much tastier!

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 large egg
1 tablespoon hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup Panko
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
FOR THE SAUCE
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
To make the sauce, whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey and rice vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks about like what I used.....except, like I said, for the sauce I added some of the Sambal Oelek to spice it up. I mean, what could be easier than mayo, sweet chili sauce, honey & rice vinegar?

I just did my shrimp in buttermilk, sriracha and a dredge in corn flour....but any thin type coating would work just fine as far as I'm concerned. I think the last couple times I made it I just took off all the shell (including the tail) and roasted them in the toaster oven without any coating at all ~ super simple and just as tasty as far as I was concerned. That and some rice and condiments....maybe some stir fried veg or baby bok choy ~ YUM!

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I have a leftover like the rice pilaf I had (I don't remember when....) and I don't have plans for it in the immediate future, I usually put it into the refrigerator freezer...right on top where I see it every time I open the freezer. That way I'm reminded it needs to be used. If I just put it into the refrigerator it has a chance of being pushed to the back and going bad before I come up with a meal plan for it.

So, today, I saw it and decided to make a fried rice to go with some grilled burgers. I used the leftover green beans from last night in it, along with a couple eggs, to stir fry together and season with some soy sauce ~ and I got no complaints! The burgers paired nicely with the starch/veg combo so it was a super easy supper.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 5 IMG_20161216_171042855

Crybaby

Crybaby

I love the flavor of lemon, which explains my purchase several months ago of a bottle of Limoncello.  I've been wondering what kind of cocktail I could make with it and saw this tonight.  Sounds good for the holidays (with a nice big curly lemon twist in it!), and also sounds good for summer, too.  

Citrus Temptation
Makes 1 / Recipe from Food Network, Courtesy of Jill Davie

Raw sugar to rim glass
1-1/2 oz. Limoncello
3/4 oz. orange-flavored vodka (I'd use plain vodka rather than buy this kind)
Juice of 3 lime wedges, approximately 3/4 to 1 oz.
Ice

Dip a cocktail glass in a saucer of water to rim. Roll glass rim in raw sugar to coat. [If this would be too sweet for you, just skip rimming the glass.] Pour Limoncello and vodka into shaker with ice. Squeeze and add 3 lime wedges into shaker. Shake well.
     Fill cocktail glass with ice. Strain drink into glass.

If I remember, I'll make one of these tomorrow and tell you how it turned out.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I love the flavor of lemon, which explains my purchase several months ago of a bottle of Limoncello.  I've been wondering what kind of cocktail I could make with it and saw this tonight.  Sounds good for the holidays (with a nice big curly lemon twist in it!), and also sounds good for summer, too.  

Citrus Temptation
Makes 1 / Recipe from Food Network, Courtesy of Jill Davie

Raw sugar to rim glass
1-1/2 oz. Limoncello
3/4 oz. orange-flavored vodka (I'd use plain vodka rather than buy this kind)
Juice of 3 lime wedges, approximately 3/4 to 1 oz.
Ice

Dip a cocktail glass in a saucer of water to rim. Roll glass rim in raw sugar to coat. [If this would be too sweet for you, just skip rimming the glass.] Pour Limoncello and vodka into shaker with ice. Squeeze and add 3 lime wedges into shaker. Shake well.
     Fill cocktail glass with ice. Strain drink into glass.

If I remember, I'll make one of these tomorrow and tell you how it turned out.  

tongue I think, you better have two or three, just to be sure you give us your best review.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I saw a few recipes and this one looked like the one I want to try.

BANG BANG SHRIMP
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
This tastes just like Cheesecake Factory’s version, except it’s way cheaper and so much tastier!

INGREDIENTS:                                                                                    
1/2 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed        
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 large egg
1 tablespoon hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup Panko
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
FOR THE SAUCE
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
To make the sauce, whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey and rice vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.

Norm, I'm confused or I am not getting all of the recipe.
In the directions.... after set aside heat the oil in a skillet? then the other stuff, i'm lost after that!

NormM

NormM

Sorry. Here are the rest of the directions. It was on the next page and I didn't check to see if I got it all. I thought all I had on the next page was another recipe.

In a large bowl, combine Panko, onion and garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
Working one at a time, dip shrimp into buttermilk mixture, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
Working in batches, add shrimp to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve immediately, drizzled with sweet chili sauce.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought a bottle of Yum Yum sauce. It has a little bite of heat to it. We all liked it. I thought it would be good on a burger.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I think, you better have two or three, just to be sure you give us your best review.

Thanks for looking after all of us, Jimmy!!! I'll toast you and Tina when I make one later on today. Cheers!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Sorry. Here are the rest of the directions.  It was on the next page and I didn't check to see if I got it all. I thought all I had on the next page was another recipe.

In a large bowl, combine Panko, onion and garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
Working one at a time, dip shrimp into buttermilk mixture, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
Working in batches, add shrimp to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve immediately, drizzled with sweet chili sauce.
Thank you Norm! Very Happy

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I bought a bottle of Yum Yum sauce. It has a little bite of heat to it. We all liked it. I thought it would be good on a burger.

Since it's a sweetened, seasoned mayonnaise based sauce it's good on a lot of things.....try dipping French Fries in it.....just a suggestion! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm waiting....
I feel like Jack in the Bean Stalk; waiting for my beans in the bean soup I made, to get soft.
No more! I'll use canned beans next time. Since 1:30 they are cooking, and still not soft enough to say Done! Little Navy white beans. Tina's on my case yelling,"that
s cause you salted them. "Never salt them the chefs all say!" Wait till they are done.
........... B S ...........I say!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sorry, Jimmy.....I gotta go with Tina on this one!  I don't know if it's a 'myth' or not, but when I add salt to my beans when I'm starting to cook them they never get soft.  And that's why I most often add a quart of Randall's Navy Beans to my bean soup for the last hour.  At least I know they're good and I love the flavor of them.

I saw some top round on sale today...a nice piece with very little fat on the edge and good meat fiber showing so I could easily cut it on a bias across the grain for a tender stir fry.  Beef and bok choy stirfry with a bit of onion....sauce is based on Norm's Korean beef recipe, but thinner and with some stuff added.  Soy sauce based, some water, some fish sauce, some honey, some brown sugar, a big spoonful of Sambal Oelek, a bit of rice vinegar and just a few drops of sesame oil.  Please don't ask for measurement.....I just add and taste and when it gets where I want it, I stop. Instead of rice I soaked and added some mung bean thread (aka: celophane noodles). I like how slippery they are when you try to eat them! LOL

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 5 IMG_20161217_170018246_HDR

I served right out of the pan I cooked it in!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 5 IMG_20161217_170127487

Bugster2

Bugster2

Serious Eats says to add salt to the soak: 1 T. per quart of water. They also say that thin skinned beans do better without a soak. Pre-cooking in a pressure cooker helps a lot. And they say they say old beans may never soften.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Here is another tip:

Hard water is high in calcium and magnesium, and increases the cooking time of dried beans by slowing and even preventing softening. Baking soda adjusts the pH level of the water, allowing the beans to soften as usual. Baking soda also helps tenderize beans by speeding the deterioration of pectin, essential to plant cell structure and strength. If you're using hard water or beans damaged by age or storage, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda per pound of dried beans to the soaking water. If you empty the soaking water and use fresh water to cook the beans, replace the baking soda.

It won't help you now, but maybe in the future.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beans, Beans, such a musical fruit .... ( and we all know the rest...hahahahaha
Beth is right, and along with Tina. No salt. Also they say, ( as Beth said ) , use the canned beans. The caners have it right!

OKay... ya know what I did?
I drained the soup and spread the solids / beans, on a large baking sheet pan, and I picked all the beans out, and flipped them outside for the animal's to eat. I then added a can of bean and bacon to all the soup and carrots etc.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't know what to have for dinner today. The day before yesterday I suddenly got a sore throat on the right side. It feels like someone stuck a hot poker and burned a hole in my throat. The outside of my neck is sore too. Weird. I think (knock on wood) that things are better today.

Cold here this morning. Most of you would think it was warm - 38 degrees. I actually turned on the heat to take the chill off the house. My friend who lives in Plentywood, MT says it is MINUS 31 at 11AM. I have never experienced cold like that. You would freeze to death just going out to the mail box.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum