Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day

+5
1DomesticGoddess
NormM
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:I love a taste of fudge once in a while.

I saw a fudge recipe on some program....mentally quit watching when they said to add 3 c. granulated sugar to a can of sweetened condensed milk....that just sounded like way more 'sweet' than I'd be willing to do.

Other times I'll be watching and then get mad at myself for not jotting down the ingredients as they're listed.

It's so difficult to make myself happy!  LOL

The recipe on the back of the Kraft marshmallow jar is pretty foolproof.

I will post the NOT SWEET fudge recipe.

I have made that recipe before and did not like it. It had bitter undertones but I must say it was the easiest fudge I have ever made.

NormM

NormM

I have made pork chops twice in just a few days but this one looked good so I gave it a try. The green beans are like mom used to make. The pasta recipe is from Milk Street magazine which is a new venture by Christopher Kimball since he got fired from Cooks Country. I hear Cooks is suing him. We did not care for the pasta and did not keep any of the leftovers.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 3 DSCN3829_zps7hglfzh2

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I have made pork chops twice in just a few days but this one looked good so I gave it a try.  The green beans are like mom used to make.  The pasta recipe is from Milk Street magazine which is a new venture by Christopher Kimball since he got fired from Cooks Country.  I hear Cooks is suing him.   We did not care for the pasta and did not keep any of the leftovers.

You are kidding! I thought Chris WAS Cook's Country and CI and ATK. For some reason I thought he owned it all.

Tonight's fare was chicken tikka masala with basmati rice and naan bread. Never made it before but both Joe and Katie loved it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

You calling me Debbie again, Swiss Miss?!!!

Whoops.....oh, hell, YOU knew I was talking about you, Melinda....er, I mean....oh, WHO ARE YOU????

Geeze Louise, Michelle.....I'm old, I've had too much to drink and I should have gone to bed an hour ago! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have made pork chops twice in just a few days but this one looked good so I gave it a try.  The green beans are like mom used to make.  The pasta recipe is from Milk Street magazine which is a new venture by Christopher Kimball since he got fired from Cooks Country.  I hear Cooks is suing him.   We did not care for the pasta and did not keep any of the leftovers.

The chop looks good Norm. "I guess sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you!"

bethk

bethk
Admin

Interesting about the bruhaha over at ATK.....I guess the most eye-opening for me was the $$ to be had on Public Television. For some reason I always thought PBS programs didn't generate that kind of salary range. Maybe it comes from the 'spin-off' media / cookbooks, etc.

I have noticed Bridget Lancaster being featured on other programs in the last year or so, which was a huge change from only seeing her and Julia Collin Davison on the ATK or CC programs. Bridget was on a program promoting her beer making expertise ~ seems she and her husband have been at that for a quarter of a century or more.

I did pick up a Milk Street publication at the store and looked through it.....didn't seem to be much different than Cook's Illustrated or Cook's Country magazines. Of those I enjoyed (and used) the recipes from Cook's Country more than any of the others.

I expect ATK will soon be a program of the past ~ corporate in-fighting seldom comes to a good end.

NormM

NormM

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, thanks for the links. Very interesting. The first thing I thought was "he is pissed off because they have brought in new management". Later on I read the same thing. I can understand his anger but he doesn't sound like a nice man so maybe his leadership became a dictatorship and that is why they brought in new people. As for the lawsuits, it does sort of sound like he stole his own ideas. I miss so much when I stopped taking the paper but $180/yr was too much for my budget. This is the first time I have not had a morning paper since I can remember. I always had one I read daily when I was a child and it never stopped until June of this year. In fact I think I was the only kid who read the paper every morning.

NormM

NormM

I still get the paper every morning and scan through it but I get a lot of news from TV and the internet. I read about this from EGullet. I got the offer for a free issue of Milk Street in my email.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes, I am going to get a free issue of Milk Street and see what it is all about.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is going to hit at least 90 degrees today so I am going to make our cool, organic sandwiches for dinner. Squaw bread, cream cheese, sunflower seeds, tomato, avocado, turkey, sprouts. We'll chew on those while we are watching the election results. I hope we don't get heartburn. LOL.

cookingirl

cookingirl

While I am watching the election results, I plan to order a mushroom pizza. I just picked up a bottle of wine to go with the pizza and the results..

My best friend, a snowbird, is in Florida right now. We are planning on texting each other during the night..
I do not know if I can stay up for the results, but I will try. I am having a cup of coffee right now, at 2:30pm...

I will either be crying or rejoicing tomorrow...

Whomever wins, I still pray for this country...it needs prayers...

The public schools in my city had a half a day because of the election. Many schools did not have school...this is way Big!! and scary...

not getting into a political discussion, but I will be glad when this election is over...I hope..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a beef pot roast in the oven....seasoned & seared, added a bunch of sliced onions and a bit of red wine....I just put in the last of the tri-colored carrots (they always amuse Mr. Amazing) and a few small Yukon gold potatoes. I'll make a light gravy because....well, just because a pot roast isn't right without gravy!

HE'S watching the election coverage....I'm so sick of listening to it all. What is, is. Nothing anyone can do to change the results ~ but it will be good to have it all over and not have the questions like we had 'way back when' with the 'hanging chads' in Florida. Geesh! that was such a drawn out election. I just want it to be over.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG.....what is it about some meals that just send you into 'smile mode'??? Pot roast is one of those meals for both Dane and me. For me, it brings back memories of so many Sunday dinners. We kids went to Zoar Lutheran Church with Mom and Dad (the lax St. Joseph's Catholic) would stay home and make an oven roasted pot roast, heavy on pepper and with lots of onions, carrots and potatoes. Dad loved to cook and the pot roast dinner was one of his best!

I considered making a Crock Pot Italian Beef Roast but went, instead, with the traditional pot roast. And it was worth every sniff I got of it in the oven all afternoon.

The only better thing will be the hot roast beef sandwiches on soft white bread with the thinly sliced beef and all the leftover carrots, onions and gravy ~ got to remember to get a fresh bottle of grated horseradish to sneak in between the slices on our plates later this week.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 3 IMG_20161108_173114801_HDR

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made tomato sauce and meatballs. I made a nice meatloaf. Kids are coming to eat. Mashed potatoes, beans, Rigatoni .....
We have no dessert. Oh Wait! ..... Fudge?? That's dessert, I guess?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OMG.....what is it about some meals that just send you into 'smile mode'???  Pot roast is one of those meals for both Dane and me.  For me, it brings back memories of so many Sunday dinners.  We kids went to Zoar Lutheran Church with Mom and Dad (the lax St. Joseph's Catholic) would stay home and make an oven roasted pot roast, heavy on pepper and with lots of onions, carrots and potatoes.  Dad loved to cook and the pot roast dinner was one of his best!

I considered making a Crock Pot Italian Beef Roast but went, instead, with the traditional pot roast.  And it was worth every sniff I got of it in the oven all afternoon.  

The only better thing will be the hot roast beef sandwiches on soft white bread with the thinly sliced beef and all the leftover carrots, onions and gravy ~ got to remember to get a fresh bottle of grated horseradish to sneak in between the slices on our plates later this week.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 3 IMG_20161108_173114801_HDR

Looks great Beth. Those sandwiches sound good to come later too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I have to apologize, I mentioned NO Dessert. Well, Tina made a from scratch, DD's grow the pumpkin / bake and puree the pumpkin / and make a nice looking, and tasting Pumpkin Pie.
That was so good.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I have to apologize, I mentioned NO Dessert. Well, Tina made a from scratch, DD's grow the pumpkin / bake and puree the pumpkin / and make a nice looking, and tasting Pumpkin Pie.
That was so good.  

Is there a big difference between fresh pumpkin and canned pumpkin in taste?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I have to apologize, I mentioned NO Dessert. Well, Tina made a from scratch, DD's grow the pumpkin / bake and puree the pumpkin / and make a nice looking, and tasting Pumpkin Pie.
That was so good.  

Is there a big difference between fresh pumpkin and canned pumpkin in taste?

The canned is thicker, and the fresh tastes the same raw; with no spices of coarse.
I like a creamy filling, and the fresh filled that taste texture.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've only made 'fresh' pumpkin pie once in my life. I used my OXO Food Mill to get the strings out of the pumpkin flesh after it was baked. I did have to cook it down a bit after straining it to get the excess moisture out.

I thought it tasted the same as the canned ~ so that's why it was the only time I made it that way. It was a lot of extra work for the identical end product.

BUT.....I did it!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had heard that canned tasted no different from fresh. I also read where you can't use a jack-o-lantern pumpkin. It must be a small sugar pumpkin.

I am pooped. 3 hours of sleep. Up watching the election results. Very interesting race. Never seen anything like it. Crashed the Canadian immigration website. All I can say is don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Joe and Katie at the beach today. Gonna be 94 degrees. Means no dinner tonight but Joe usually comes in hungry even though he says he isn't. I bought some mozzarella and basil flatbreads at Costco that I can heat up for a mild tasting cheese type pizza experience.

Got to go to Walmart to pick up a 'script then maybe World Market for some hazelnut and walnut oils.

All of my favorites are slowly disappearing from my local grocery stores. First it was Sara Lee frosted brownies a few years ago. Now Montreal Steak Sauce is gone along with Sara Lee butter streusel coffee cake. Oscar Mayer liverwurst left last year.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've only made 'fresh' pumpkin pie once in my life.  I used my OXO Food Mill to get the strings out of the pumpkin flesh after it was baked.  I did have to cook it down a bit after straining it to get the excess moisture out.

I thought it tasted the same as the canned ~ so that's why it was the only time I made it that way.  It was a lot of extra work for the identical end product.

BUT.....I did it!  

That was the only reason she did it too. To prove it can be done, and she did it!
One thing she didn't do, was cook it down to thicken it a bit. She just added an extra egg!......

Another funny thing. I said to Maria, "How come you don't plant a whole bunch of pumpkins?" She said, "Because, there is no room with all the other s!it we planted!" .....

NormM

NormM

I recently read somewhere that canned pumpkin isn't really pumpkin. They use some other kind of squash that isn't as watery. I thought I could tell a difference when mom made pumpkin pie with a pumpkin. I thought it tasted kind of fresher.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is our first neighborhood 'Patio Party' of the season......and, of course, we have a misty rain for the last half hour or so. With any luck the rain will end and it will just be a 'cool' evening (mid 70's)

I made a sheet pan full of sweet pepper poppers - cut those little tri-colored sweet peppers in half and seeded them. The filling is a pound of Jimmy Dean Spicy Breakfast sausage, half a large sweet onion, chopped, a couple splashes of Worchestershire Sauce, 1 -1/2 pkg. of Philly Cream Cheese and a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese I saw hanging out in the refrigerator. Just before we go I'll pop the pan into a 400° oven to melt the cheese and soften the peppers a bit. I've never made these before so I hope I don't end up with a huge mess on my hands.

Yesterday I went to Fresh Market for a package of their $2.99/lb ground chuck - Dane and I have both been hungry for a pot of chili. So, I made that today. We just had a small taste-tester size bowl and it's cooling down so I can stash it in the garage refrigerator until I can make room for it in the freezer(s). No supper tonight since we'll be eating all the 'finger foods' at the patio party.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum