Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day

+5
1DomesticGoddess
NormM
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:If I had to choose between melamine or stainless bowls, I'd get the stainless.  You can't put them in the microwave but you CAN put them on heat (burners), over a pan of hot water to use as a double boiler, in the freezer or refrigerator......

Stainless Steel ~ my choice.

I will second on the stainless. Only one, would have to be fitted with a cover lid. That one in our cupboard, is the Tupperware giant .

The stainless set we have, has the non slip slide bottoms. They work great, and they stay put while mixing stuff.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here for the last few days. When Dane's sister was visiting we went out to eat both days. Today was 'eat-what-is-in-the-refrigerator' day......a mish-mash of leftovers, salad, vegetables ~ whatever looked good to eat.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We finally sat down and filled out our ballots and mailed them. Prolly won't even get counted.
Joe and Katie went out for poke so no cooking tonight. They are going to a party tomorrow (I hate parties) so no cooking tomorrow either. I guess I will look for recipes for something to eat during the week.
I ended up ordering a set of stainless bowls that had non-skid bottoms, handles and lids. Should get them Sunday.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We finally sat down and filled out our ballots and mailed them. Prolly won't even get counted.
Joe and Katie went out for poke so no cooking tonight. They are going to a party tomorrow (I hate parties) so no cooking tomorrow either. I guess I will look for recipes for something to eat during the week.
I ended up ordering a set of stainless bowls that had non-skid bottoms, handles and lids. Should get them Sunday.

The stainless bowls are nice. Especially with the non skid bottoms.

You Hate parties?? LOL... I hate Going to parties, but I don't mind having parties here. Even if I wind up cooking and supplying the food and drinks.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made pan roasted chicken thighs tonight w/asparagus added to the skillet just before I put it into the oven to roast ~ I browned the thighs to render off the excess chicken fat and to crisp up the skin before I put them into the oven. I made a whole (well, partial) roasted head of cauliflower in lieu of potatoes....More than enough to fill both of us up!

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 IMG_20161105_171930508_HDR

Our hummingbird was back at nectur harvesting tonight....as soon as the sun went down and the jasmine flowers started to open our hummingbird was busy as he/she could be. I tried to take pics but all I get is a fuzzy blur where the bird is. I probably could have grabbed him with my hand but that didn't seem quite right to do....so I just watched and was amazed how efficient he seems to be.

NormM

NormM

I made chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and milk gravy. It was just so so.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a hamburger stew with frozen veggies, rice, barley, and one little potato diced small. It was good.
Then, I had 1 and 1/2 a ham, swiss, and tomato sandwich. Mayo plentiful.
Then some apple Betty that T made. Martha Stewart recipe for the crumb topping.
Too sweet for me. I had a beer to wash it all down.

Now I just went around, and turned the clocks back to bring in Standard Time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to decide on something for supper and was perusing my old magazines (cooking magazine, don't you know.....) when I saw a pic of pork and apples on the cover of an old Cooking Light magazine..... That's all it took. Supper was decided.

I have pork chops thawed, a huge butternut squash ready to bake and some Brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half to fry up in a cast iron skillet with bacon and onions.

The pork (boneless loin chops for him and pork steak for me) will get a simple seasoning of s&p and then a sprinkle of fresh thyme and tarragon from my patio pots. When the pork is browned I'll add the sliced apples and some shallots, then the pork will go on top and the skillet will be finished in the oven with the squash until done.

The Brussels sprouts will get caramalized after the bacon is rendered and removed and I'll add some sliced onion.

The shallots and the onions both got sliced and soaked in some ice water (as advised by My Man Jacques....) so they should be super sweet when added to the apples / Brussels sprouts.

I'm looking forward to seeing if "HE" likes the meal as much as I'm looking forward to making it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had to decide on something for supper and was perusing my old magazines (cooking magazine, don't you know.....) when I saw a pic of pork and apples on the cover of an old Cooking Light magazine.....  That's all it took.  Supper was decided.

I have pork chops thawed, a huge butternut squash ready to bake and some Brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half to fry up in a cast iron skillet with bacon and onions.  

The pork (boneless loin chops for him and pork steak for me) will get a simple seasoning of s&p and then a sprinkle of fresh thyme and tarragon from my patio pots.  When the pork is browned I'll add the sliced apples and some shallots, then the pork will go on top and the skillet will be finished in the oven with the squash until done.

The Brussels sprouts will get caramalized after the bacon is rendered and removed and I'll add some sliced onion.

The shallots and the onions both got sliced and soaked in some ice water (as advised by My Man Jacques....) so they should be super sweet when added to the apples / Brussels sprouts.

I'm looking forward to seeing if "HE" likes the meal as much as I'm looking forward to making it.

Sounds good Beth. Did you ever try or see, the canned in a jar cinnamon red apples slices in syrup, and or the little spiced apples??
They are great with pork chops loins, etc. stuffed etc etc. bounce

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 2c741b06-80e9-4188-9604-32e6e8e74616_1.eeb054e1c8260c54bde0b688d59cbbf9

They can the little apples too, but I couldn't find them!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Last I heard, is we were having Italian seared pan fried steaks.
They are thin cut round like for stuffing or sandwiches, but Tina gets the cast iron pan hot, and sears like 2 x 3 inch pieces with a little oil and Italian spices. Goes good with cooked spinach.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My mom use to buy those spiced apple rings.....but I much prefer the plain fried apples with pork. I do, however, fry up apples and I add those little cinnamon candies (like you find around Christmas time) to make pink-tinged fried apples. Man, those are so good!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a huge success!

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 IMG_20161106_172344339

Dane spent the last two days scrubbing the carpeting for me. I did it once and swore I wouldn't do it again because it makes my back ache so much it's not worth it. He had no problem.....so he's elected to continue be my 'Mr. Stanley Steamer'. I did end up vacuuming the kitchen and bathroom tiles and then damp mopping all the tile floors. That just about did me in ~ but I felt so guilty that I had asked him to do the carpet I felt I needed to contribute somehow. I washed rugs and put them out in the sun to dry...so much better than in the dryer (they stay flat). I have small throw rugs in front of both patio doors and the recliners we each sit in all the time ~ lots of dark on the shoes from the blacktop where we walk outside.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

All that steak talk ended for supper when the Lady of the house woke up from her nap, and said, "I want FISH for supper!"....So Ruby Tuesday cooked for us on Sunday.
Called in the order, and it was fish in 30 minutes.

I had the little lobster tail and tillapia.

Tina had the Tillapia with the mashed potatoes. She doesn't like lobster.
She made fudge for dessert.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 WE3Bmy

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 I3sKKY

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 KaLk1X

Bugster2

Bugster2

Steak, potato and salad tonight. Not very creative.

Just saw a new thing "As Seen on TV". It is called the Samurai 360 rotating knife. I liked the way it cut through brownies but a pizza wheel could prolly do the same. Got to wait and see reviews. Prolly not good like most "As Seen on TV" things although you occasionally get a gem.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Steak, potato and salad tonight. Not very creative.

Just saw a new thing "As Seen on TV". It is called the Samurai 360 rotating knife. I liked the way it cut through brownies but a pizza wheel could prolly do the same. Got to wait and see reviews. Prolly not good like most "As Seen on TV" things although you occasionally get a gem.

Debbie, out of all the as seen on tv chit, my cousin Donna, loves the egg extractor thing that you push down, and the shell comes right off. She bought one for Tina, but we haven't tried it yet.
The joke is, I don't even know where we put the darn thing.LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love a taste of fudge once in a while.

I saw a fudge recipe on some program....mentally quit watching when they said to add 3 c. granulated sugar to a can of sweetened condensed milk....that just sounded like way more 'sweet' than I'd be willing to do.

Other times I'll be watching and then get mad at myself for not jotting down the ingredients as they're listed.

It's so difficult to make myself happy! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I love a taste of fudge once in a while.

I saw a fudge recipe on some program....mentally quit watching when they said to add 3 c. granulated sugar to a can of sweetened condensed milk....that just sounded like way more 'sweet' than I'd be willing to do.

Other times I'll be watching and then get mad at myself for not jotting down the ingredients as they're listed.

It's so difficult to make myself happy!  LOL

The recipe on the back of the Kraft marshmallow jar is pretty foolproof.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:Supper was a huge success!

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 IMG_20161106_172344339

It looked delicious, too, Beth.  You must've been really hungry 'cause all the food was touching!!

Just teasing you except it really did look good!

Crybaby

Crybaby

We're having what we call Sicilian Round Steak.  (Round steak was on sale for about $3.49 a pound with top round steak going for $3.99/lb.  Last time I checked the price of round steak at the grocery about three months ago, it was $8.50 a pound!  Who would pay that?!) Many years ago a boyfriend's brother made this when we visited him; I remember it was out of the NY Times or a NY Times cookbook but I've never been able to find it online or in one of their cookbooks and I'm pretty sure I have the name right, as bf and his brother were Italian!  

I pound some round steak until it's about half as thick as it originally was, cut it into serving size pieces, season with salt and pepper and then flour and brown the pieces of beef in a heavy Dutch oven.  Then you add a can or two of whole tomatoes (I "smush" them with my hands, as I prefer the whole ones to the crushed -- the crushed thicken up too much plus I can find San Marzano whole tomatoes) to the pot right on top of the browned beef, along with a couple minced cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of dried oregano pinched between fingers, a half teaspoon of dry mustard and some fresh chopped parsley.  Put the top on, bring to a simmer and simmer about an hour, mixing up the slices of beef in the pot about halfway through so they cook evenly.  If I have a couple of small pieces of Parmesan rind on hand, I'll throw those in, too.

When the meat is tender, remove it from the pot temporarily, add some cooked rigatoni and some of the pasta water to the tomatoes, heat for a couple of minutes to soak up some sauce, and then put meat back in to heat up if necessary.  Serve the pasta on a platter with the beef on top, with some more parsley and some Romano and/or Parmesan on top.  Super easy and quite good.  

This is good with a side of spinach or a nice spinach salad and some garlic bread.  I've never tired of this dish and I've been making it since I was 19!!!  My family really liked it, too, though I remember my brother bi*ching about the noise I made while pounding the beef; if I remember correctly, he was hung over and still in bed at about 3 p.m. when I was making it for dinner!  When I lived at home, no one was more grateful than my mom was when she came home from work, opened that front door and smelled dinner (her words!).  She was a registered nurse who worked 5-1/2 days a week at an industrial clinic -- worked her butt off before work, at work and after work, too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:I love a taste of fudge once in a while.

It's so difficult to make myself happy!  LOL

The recipe on the back of the Kraft marshmallow jar is pretty foolproof.

I will post the NOT SWEET fudge recipe.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Debbie - some call that a Swiss Steak....or a variation of Swiss Steak. When I was growing up Swiss Steak didn't have tomatoes in it. Ours was more of a pounded/floured meat, seared, cooked with lots of onions and ended up with a thick, dark gravy when the meat was tender. But I've seen other recipes that used the tomatoes so the acid could help tenderize the dense meat.

Tonight was 'clean-out-the-vegetable-drawer' supper. Chicken stirfry.

I used the last of the sugar snap peas, carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, cabbage slaw mix ~ all cooked until just tender-crisp and with a sauce of soy, brown sugar, sambal oleck, corn syrup, sesame oil and chicken stock. Served it over brown rice.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 2 IMG_20161107_171428483

And this meal, too, (Michelle) had all my stuff TOUCHING !!! Somehow I'll survive. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1352-fudge-recipe-s#27264

The fudge recipe is on the forum under sweets / candy etc.

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1352-fudge-recipe-s#27264

The fudge recipe is on the forum under sweets / candy etc.

I remember my aunt used to make fudge. We also had a great local place where they made it; a candy store.

When we put the fudge in the refrigerator, it turned hard as a rock!!

It is best stored in a tin, Or as we have now, a tupperware container...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:Debbie - some call that a Swiss Steak....or a variation of Swiss Steak. When I was growing up Swiss Steak didn't have tomatoes in it. Ours was more of a pounded/floured meat, seared, cooked with lots of onions and ended up with a thick, dark gravy when the meat was tender. But I've seen other recipes that used the tomatoes so the acid could help tenderize the dense meat.

You calling me Debbie again, Swiss Miss?!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum