Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day

+5
1DomesticGoddess
NormM
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda....we like just about every vegetable roasted.  I don't think you can go wrong ~ and all chicken pieces should work perfectly well.  I just use a lot of chicken thighs because that's the dark meat we both like (and it's less expensive than the breast or mixed chicken parts).

I like dark meat too, Dirk prefers breast, but he eats thighs too... so if I bought a whole chicken, I'd eat the thighs and he'd eat the breasts, everybody wins Razz

I'm thinking to cook turkey if I could find a small one ( under 10 lbs ), I'll eat the dark part, Dirk will get the white part.. yummmm

Yesterday when we served the Thanksgiving dinner, we had 2 big pan, people could choose whether they wanted the dark or white meat.. most people chose the white part

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Imelda....we like just about every vegetable roasted.  I don't think you can go wrong ~ and all chicken pieces should work perfectly well.  I just use a lot of chicken thighs because that's the dark meat we both like (and it's less expensive than the breast or mixed chicken parts).

I like dark meat too, Dirk prefers breast, but he eats thighs too... so if I bought a whole chicken, I'd eat the thighs and he'd eat the breasts, everybody wins Razz

I'm thinking to cook turkey if I could find a small one ( under 10 lbs ), I'll eat the dark part, Dirk will get the white part.. yummmm

Yesterday when we served the Thanksgiving dinner, we had 2 big pan, people could choose whether they wanted the dark or white meat.. most people chose the white part

Imelda, maybe you can get a breast for Dirk, and for you, the thighs..... I'm sure they sell them separate. Maybe a little more cost, but you can have what you wish for. Sometimes, they sell the leg with the thigh attached together. Smile

NormM

NormM

It sure does look good Imelda.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

fantastic!!!

I like the way the flavors of the vegetables blend together. A lot of times if it's cooked through and not crisp or browned enough for my taste, I'll turn the temperature up as high as it will go or I'll use the broiler to crisp stuff up. I've also used my gas grill with the burner adjusted opposite where my quarter sheet pan sits and use my 'outside oven'. That usually gets the temperatures high enough for me.

Since I made a fairly large supper last night I decided to go light tonight (translate that into 'Beth was in a lazy mood' if you want...........) so I just reheated some chili. It was just fine for our supper.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 8 IMG_20161120_170526229

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

[/color][/b]

Imelda.....saw this site and immediately thought of you and Dirk! This is the week to see if you can find a 10 pound turkey at a great price. They keep well in the freezer until you're ready to cook it.

Check this out:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/grilled-spatchcock-turkey-recipe.html

I'll bet Dirk would volunteer to keep watch over the bird on the grill! (Sneaky way to not have to deal with the entire meal yourself.....LOL)

Bugster2

Bugster2

I can't believe it but I am sitting on 3 frozen turkeys because I just couldn't pass up 47 cents a pound. They will be for future eats. Actually I have been defrosting one in the fridge for the last week. It will be an interesting Thanksgiving this year. Joe, Katie and I are going to my sister's house tomorrow for their Thanksgiving. Her daughter is a TV news person and has to do the news on turkey day so that is why she is having it tomorrow. Thursday I will be cooking a turkey for the first time in an oven roaster. Since my oven is broken I will also be using my slow and multi-cookers for the dressing, mashed potatoes. I will bake my yam casserole in the toaster oven and also bake my green bean casserole in the toaster. I will keep those warm in my 6-quart slow cooker. It could turn out to be a disaster but we'll see.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, come on, Bugs.....everyone loves a challenge! Good luck!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hopefully we will have Sloppy Joes tonight for supper. Yesterday it was chicken soup.
Good, but so filling.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got chicken thighs & legs, seasoned with the Hungarian Chicken Seasoning, in a 425° oven ~ I like them to roast until the fat renders off and the skin is crispy and the meat is cooked through to the bone.....I don't care if the meat dries (although the thighs usually stay moist) as long as the meat is well done and not a hint of pink. I have one last delicata squash cut in half and ready to stick in the oven for the last 30 minutes of the chicken. Man, we love that one!

And since I couldn't decide on a vegetable......I have some frozen mixed vegetables ready to go. Personally, I really love mixed veg ~ well, I like just about any veg so this is a good one for me.....GOOD colors!

bethk

bethk
Admin

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 8 IMG_20161121_171907732

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 8 IMG_20161121_172238408

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've got chicken thighs & legs, seasoned with the Hungarian Chicken Seasoning, in a 425° oven ~ I like them to roast until the fat renders off and the skin is crispy and the meat is cooked through to the bone.....I don't care if the meat dries (although the thighs usually stay moist) as long as the meat is well done and not a hint of pink.  I have one last delicata squash cut in half and ready to stick in the oven for the last 30 minutes of the chicken.  Man, we love that one!

And since I couldn't decide on a vegetable......I have some frozen mixed vegetables ready to go.  Personally, I really love mixed veg ~ well, I like just about any veg so this is a good one for me.....GOOD colors!

That's my song!! "The Chicken song!" .... "Well Done and Not A Hint of Pink" ... By Jimmy Crack Corn, and Beth, the FlORHIOAN!"
That surely looks good Beth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had those Sloppy Joes tonight. Yuck! Even Tina couldn't like / eat them.
It all tasted like we were sucking on a rusty bolt. We couldn't figure it out, until it hit me.
The cast iron lodge frying pan. Tina sniffed it, and definitely said it was the pan.
She never cooks sloppy Joes in a fry pan, but she wanted to try caramelized onions in the recipe.
I agreed, that was it!

Then, DD brought over Bear Chuck stew she cooked. It was all right, except hard to swallow as I thought of "BEN" the bear, and Winnie the Poo bear on the Disney Movies!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Oh, that is a shame Jimmy! You can't cook acidic things like tomato sauce in cast iron. I read that somewhere and have not forgotten it. Same thing with carbon steel: anything acidic takes off the seasoning. Not sure about a taste change but it does take off the coating. I know, it happened to me. Well, you prolly got your weeks worth of iron. Toss the stuff asap.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Major fail for me today. I made a pecan pie to take to my sister's house. After it was baked and put in the fridge, I pulled it out to check on it this morning and discovered it had turned into cement. My fault entirely. I made two fatal errors. The first was that I docked the crust. That is a no-no for pecan pies. The second was that I used my toaster oven and forgot to turn off the convection and just use bake. The first error caused the filling to seep under the crust and the second cause the filling to over-bake. I will have to buy something to bring instead.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'd take a box of Twinkies and a box of Snowballs......can't go wrong with Hostess Twinkies & Snowballs as far as I'm concerned !! LOL

Just kidding ~ don't you just hate it when you have a 'fail' and then realize you knew what to do but had a brain fart and messed up? But, it happens to the best of us and you just move on. Go to the store, buy a pie.....stick it in the freezer to firm a bit and then slip it out of the foil pan and INTO your own pie dish (easier if you cut the foil in 4 places with kitchen shears ~ ask me how I know). Never admit you didn't make it. No one will notice if it's in your glass pie dish.

If you state it with conviction, it is so!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I remembered I had a Sara Lee pumpkin cheesecake in the freezer. I am going to pull that out, top it with pecan praline. Viola!
I have trouble with pecan pies. I can't tell when they are done. I was doing some research and found that CI says a pecan pie is done when the center reaches 185. Really nice to know. I had the same problem with cheesecakes until I found they are done when the center is 170. I have/had that wretched excuse for an oven and it never cooks right.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a plan, Bugs! Good for you!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane wants burgers for supper.....only found a couple patties in the freezer (how can that be??? I usually have bags of the formed patties ~ must be someone broke in and stole them!). So, I got out a couple knockwurst for me. He can have the grilled burger patties and I'll be happy with my knockwurst, which is what I would choose if I had to decide between the two. Works out just fine. I have some leftover green beans, probably sweet potato and maybe another veg because I've been hungry for multiples lately.....maybe peas & carrots.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing much to 'write home about' but a belly-filler.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 8 IMG_20161122_173108765

I'd much rather be prepping for our holiday meal, but that must wait for tomorrow or it'll be stale (or eaten) before we ship out for Dane's sister's Thursday morning. I did, however, prep the Peach Sangria so the fruit would have a chance to meld with the Moscato & Peach Schnapps. All I'll have to do when we get there is find a giant pitcher and add the Canada Dry Ginger Ale and soda water.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I soaked that pie pan in hot water and the baked on pecan pie would not budge. I think it had reached the hard crack stage so I pulled out a deep saute pan, filled it with water and set it on the stove with the pie pan inside it. I heated the water and it got hot enough to melt off the mess. Going to my sister's house in a couple of hours for an early turkey day and am bringing the Sara Lee cheesecake with the praline topping. I know I will have to work.

NormM

NormM

Charlie has a date tonight and the only thing I've cooked is for Thanksgiving, so I ate out at Cracker Barrel. I had catfish. I made some Challah today.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie has a date tonight and the only thing I've cooked is for Thanksgiving, so I ate out at Cracker Barrel. I had catfish. I made some Challah today.

I've seen your Challah bread Norm. It says, "Bring the Butter!"

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was hahahahahahah....S P A G H E T T I .....
Sauce was made for the lasagna, so DIL stopped by, and wished for spaghetti.

bethk

bethk
Admin

After spending the majority of the day in the kitchen prepping for tomorrow I was really at a loss of an idea of what to fix for supper. I saw half a head of cauliflower and a couple sweet potatoes and decided they could be easily roasted off in the oven. I thawed out a boneless chicken breast and cut it into chunks, slathered it in some Asian marinade I had from another meal (I usually make extra for just such opportunities) and decided to just do a quick pan fry.

Mr. Amazing was happy with my choices ~ had half a carrot and half an onion so I added those to the cauliflower for some color. The sweet potatoes got a parcook in the microwave to soften a bit before getting cut into wedges & then rolled around in some evoo before adding them to the baking sheet with the cauliflower/veg mix.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 8 IMG_20161123_173028655

NormM

NormM

I didn't want to cook tonight so I picked up some frozen meatballs by Armor and some Emeril tomato sauce and cooked some spaghetti. It wasn't good. We ate enough to fill up and put the rest done the garbage disposal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum