Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??"

+4
Imelda HL
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 18]

101SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:34 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:pack of dry chicken gravy,stirred in 3/4 to 1cup chicken broth. Premade stuffing with onion,parsley,mushroom,garlic.gravy I made to hold it together..Yes I am lazy..

Doesn't sound lazy to me. Pork chops don't really put out any juice so I was wondering what you used. I have not tried a chicken gravy mix before. Never seen pre-made stuffing, but I am all for it if it tastes good.

Oh yeah!... StoveTop stuffing. Its all dry, and boil water and some butter, drop in the mix, stir, and cover no heat. I love it.
Don't like the pork or turkey flavored. Just the chicken.

Was it Stove Top stuffing? I have used the chicken flavor and jazzed it up a bit with sautéed onion, celery, pecans and water chestnuts and stuffed it into a chop. Not bad at all but too dry. I will buy a package of chicken gravy and see how it tastes. My experience with packaged gravy is that they are pretty bad. Do you have a favorite brand that you use?
I just remembered an article I cut out about how to make canned stock taste more like homemade. If the packaged stuff is not what I like I will try it with the jazzed up stock. One time I bought a jar of Penzey's pork concentrate, hoping it would be good for a gravy. One taste and it went in the trash.

102SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is hot as hell today. Going to be over 100. DH and Roomie went to the beach. I am going back to bed. I got up a 3am with a foot cramp that wouldn't go away until I got up and stood on it. By that time I was awake and couldn't go back to sleep.
Tonight will be fast and cool: hot dogs. Maybe chili dogs with onions, pickles, mustard and tomatoes. That will bring out the sweat to cool us off.

103SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It is hot as hell today. Going to be over 100. DH and Roomie went to the beach. I am going back to bed. I got up a 3am with a foot cramp that wouldn't go away until I got up and stood on it. By that time I was awake and couldn't go back to sleep.
Tonight will be fast and cool: hot dogs. Maybe chili dogs with onions, pickles, mustard and tomatoes. That will bring out the sweat to cool us off.

bugs... cramps in the legs / feet...etc. Take a tbs. of Apple Cider Vinegar in a little orange juice or lemonade. Cramping gone in 15 minutes or less. Sometimes within 2 minutes. Tina gets them all the time, and especially if doing a lot of stair climbing.

104SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cramps go away if I get up and stand on my foot and walk around. The trouble is that I can't go back to sleep afterwards. This cramp was a doozy. My foot wanted to turn inward like I was pigeon-toed. I have also had them where just one toe just wants to bend down. The worst is when I stretch my legs and I get a huge cramp in my calf or foot and the only thing I can do is to get up and force it back into shape. Those hurt like hell.

105SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Cramps go away if I get up and stand on my foot and walk around. The trouble is that I can't go back to sleep afterwards. This cramp was a doozy. My foot wanted to turn inward like I was pigeon-toed. I have also had them where just one toe just wants to bend down. The worst is when I stretch my legs and I get a huge cramp in my calf or foot and the only thing I can do is to get up and force it back into shape. Those hurt like hell.

Tina used to take Quinine Water. But it takes too long, so I saw an Amish Place that sold this remedy to end the cramping, and prevent them from coming back.
Tina gets them so bad, it's like childbirth with NO Baby there.....
One year, she had to get up to pee, and she got a cramp in the whole thigh. She fell on the bare hard floor on her knee. She pee pee'd herself.....we were ready to call 911, and she said NO NO NO....I peed myself.
Luckily my son and DIL came by, and we had to carry her to the bathroom....cleaned and dressed her, and to the hospital ER.
1 month of therapy and a special leg brace....and misery all in one.

I will see if I can send you the link of the Amish stuff. Tina swears by it.

Basically it is apple cider vinegar.... and they have stuff for acid reflux too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TC661O?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_i1

106SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, golly, that sounds really tasty:

"About the Product

•Fast-acting, old Amish remedy
•Helps relieve and prevent muscle cramps
•Special blend of apple cider vinegar, ginger plant juice and garlic juice
•Natural and organic ingredients, Salt and gluten free
•Great for athletic and night cramps"

I've got a bunch of ginger plants growing - easy to get the juice from it. Actually my ginger plants are setting 'blooms' right now - looks like a pine cone on a long stalk. Interesting plants.

107SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Niagara Visitor

Company for dinner tonight to help me eat the last of the stuffed peppers that I made last week.  My freezer was too full, so, invite someone, right?  I also made a nice big salad, and fresh blue cheese dressing.

108SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, Niagara, that's the way to get rid of excess! Great idea.

I made 'healthy' Greek Salad last night for Mr. Amazing.

This morning I opened the freezer and set eyes on a marinated London broil. So, tonight was my "fix" meal. I get so hungry for good beef. I'd really like a big, thick, bone-in rib eye ~ but London Broil is what my grocery allowance allows for.

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 09.08.15

109SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 420010_3490311303925_115488739_n

grilled country ribs..do not know what happened to my color? They are/where more red then brown.Grilled sweet potato.

Great dinner Beth..

110SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had chicken soup ..... tater tots .... cod fillet.

Tina came home to freshen up, and will return to her Aunt Helens side tomorrow morning.

I'm making egg salad for them to have tomorrow.

111SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am working on a tortellini pasta salad for tomorrow. I think we will have an Indian rubbed grilled chicken breasts to go with it.

I have been working on a project for my DH. Every time I ask him what he wants for dinner, he says he doesn't know and then tells me he wishes he had a book of pictures of what we eat. I did it and added the recipes. I laminated two sheets of recipes together and bought a 3-ring recipe binder. I have so many regular recipes that I needed two binders. What will be nice is that I can wipe the pages clean. I usually print off a recipe or use my Ipad but this way will be easier for me.

112SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am working on a tortellini pasta salad for tomorrow. I think we will have an Indian rubbed grilled chicken breasts to go with it.

I have been working on a project for my DH. Every time I ask him what he wants for dinner, he says he doesn't know and then tells me he wishes he had a book of pictures of what we eat. I did it and added the recipes. I laminated two sheets of recipes together and bought a 3-ring recipe binder. I have so many regular recipes that I needed two binders. What will be nice is that I can wipe the pages clean. I usually print off a recipe or use my Ipad but this way will be easier for me.

Oh great bugs... Like Flash cards.

Tina and I used to do that. She bought a big box of recipe cards with pictures from I think Good Housekeeping in the 60's. We would sit and sip on drinks, and show the cards. The conversation was... :_" first card" Ooooo! looks good ... next card, " Nawwwww!" .... next, "Ohhhh Yeahhhh!"..... next card,"Ummmm!"

So as we thumbed through hundreds of cards, it sounded like a new fetish going on in the kitchen. .........

113SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

he wishes he had a book of pictures of what we eat.

LOL mine is called photo file on PC then photobucket.  I swear if this thing crashes I am SOL.....

114SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:21 pm

NormM

NormM

Sometimes when I want Cassie and Charles to help me decide on something for dinner, I'll give them a choice of three or four. A few years ago they said they were frustrated when they asked me about a recipe that I did some time ago and I would not remember the details, so they asked me to keep a blog of the meals I cooked and copies of the recipes. It's here:

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

115SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Actually that is not a issue with me,feeding others. It is my old brain cells that forget. I have to copy recipes and then the photo on my fav page.That list is huge too.When my kids were small and not so small, I did not ask them all that much.I knew what they liked or not liked,and I knew what I liked lol,so I went with what I wanted..They pretty much ate everything I made.DS did not like mushrooms,onions,tomatos,he picked them out...Now he eats all that.

116SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been trying lately to just cook what we will eat, eliminating the leftovers that I end up tossing probably 50% of what's in the refrigerator.

So, tonight was one of those 'left over' meals. Actually, it was just leftover parsley potatoes, caramelized leeks and braised cabbage.

I ended up browning the potatoes with the leeks (pretty tasty!), warming the cabbage and then making a couple burgers in a fry pan. I asked Dane if he wanted one or 2 burgers, he said, "2, please". Then I realized I ONLY had 2 patties in the freezer.

SO......he got 1 - 1/2 burgers and I took half. If he had questioned me, I would have told him I gave him 2, but one was just a lot smaller than the other! LOL

117SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Tomato%20corn3

corn,heirloom tomato and bacon toss up. I am making salmon cakes to go with..

118SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Brats for me.... A slice of seeded rye buttered to eat with the brats. Baked beans....

Gabe gets a steakum sandwich on white toast. Baked beans, and mashed potatoes....

Sarah Lee birthday party individually packed cake for dessert.

119SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Niagara Visitor

A smoked pork hock, some sausage and both covered in sauerkraut today, served on a yummy Yukon Gold potato.

120SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, everyone's food sounds good to me!

Barb, I love mixing corn with just about anything, especially when it's paired with bacon. The two seem to go together perfectly. (I'll pass on the salmon....not a fan ~ but you ENJOY!)

Jimmy, did you brown up the outside of the brat to make it have crispy bits? I like to do that with leftover brats ~ little slits in the brat and then rolled around in a hot pan until it gets a 'snap' when you bite into it.

Lore - the sweetness of those Yukon Golds is the perfect side with the pork & sauerkraut. The sweet/sour taste is really good. Sometimes I do that with smoked beef sausage when I don't want to take the time to cook down a fresh (smoked) hock. Good stuff!

121SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Niagara Visitor wrote:A smoked pork hock, some sausage and both covered in sauerkraut today, served on a yummy Yukon Gold potato.

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 3602300868

122SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Salmon%20cake%20collage

123SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Tomato%20corn4

124SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

picture perfect!

125SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:39 pm

NormM

NormM

As promised, I did a trial run on the turkey in the Nesco. I tried a brown in bag. I tried two but they both broke because I didn't know how to use them. I'll do better next time. I used Kitchen Bouquet and butter along with poultry seasoning for a baste. The recipe said allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound. That's 5 to 7 hours for a 21lb turkey. This one was done after only a little more than 3 hours. I have cut it and wrapped it in foil and keeping it warm in the oven along with gravy, dressing, green beans, creamed corn, buttermilk mashed potatoes and gravy. I am going to keep notes to myself until after Thanksgiving because my sister reads my facebook and maybe my blog too. Charlie probably won't be home for another 45 minutes (-or+) so I'll find out how well things can be made ahead and kept warm and still be good.
SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 DSCN2896_zpsyhy9lmgl

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 DSCN2899_zpsumwcefpd

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum