Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??"

+4
Imelda HL
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 18]

51SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

you got good coverage on the okra, Jimmy ~ nice for a first try!

Even though I've made it and eaten it, I'm still not a big fan of the stuff. I think it's an acquired taste and probably something you might like better if you learned to like it when you were young. It's just OK for me but nothing I'd go out of my way for again....

The stuffed peppers, however, ARE something I grew up with. YUM!

52SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Lookin good Jimmy. It has been a while since I made them,,To much of a mess for me now. I will feed my need for them by, buying them or buy the frozen lol.

LOVE stuffed peppers.(not the green ones) SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2599281016

53SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:23 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yes I do love lamb.That was a rack and I grilled it whole and sliced it into chops.On sale I might add.lol

54SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:you got good coverage on the okra, Jimmy ~ nice for a first try!

Even though I've made it and eaten it, I'm still not a big fan of the stuff.  I think it's an acquired taste and probably something you might like better if you learned to like it when you were young.  It's just OK for me but nothing I'd go out of my way for again....

The stuffed peppers, however, ARE something I grew up with.  YUM!

Thanks Beth. Yeah! They were different, and your way of the buttermilk cornmeal / flour was perfect.
I still like okra in like seafood gumbo, or beef barley soup.

55SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Lookin good Jimmy. It has been a while since I made them,,To much of a mess for me now. I will feed my need for them by, buying them or buy the frozen lol.

LOVE stuffed peppers.(not the green ones) SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2599281016

Thanks Barb.... Yeah!.... frozen is good. They remind me of zucchini breaded sticks like they serve in some restaurants, but they are a tad bit dry.

56SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Terrible pic...I must have sneezed while taking it. But, it is what it is: Grilled Ribs, Pan Roasted Baby Fingerling Potatoes & Roasted Red Beets

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 09.04.15

57SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 10818323_10205451682522247_5648754402151715999_o1

Coconut fried shrimp,dipping is just  marmalade and dijon,

58SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

AND one of my favorite sides.....rice & peas!

How did you get the coating to stick? Egg? Every time I do a dredge w/egg it comes out gummy and too thick. That's why I usually stick to my buttermilk.

59SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

http://damndelicious.net/2013/12/13/coconut-shrimp/

I have used this recipe for ages.I use it for chicken strips too.

60SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

rice & peas!

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2876911673  I made this up for the girls , I had planned on adding green beans and carrots, and chicken then remembered they will not eat peas..So I ate it..

61SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, move over girls! I'll teach you how to love rice & peas.....WOOF!

62SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was two brats bacon flavor, and sauerkraut.
Had a hot dog roll. 1/2 per brat. That killed me; not having a complete bun.
I ate some red beet horse raddish with the brats.
No dessert......Doesn't bother me that I didn't have any. I'll skip dessert and have it tomorrow.

Tina is at the church right now filling in bulletins and flyers for the week end services. I don't know how she does it. At the hospital all day with the social worker to get her aunt set up for Hospice in the home. Oh good. she called 9:00 and is on way home.

63SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

I made a bunch of stuffed peppers again last night.  4 for me, 6 for daughter-in-law's parents, some for the freezer for my son and other daughter-in-law.  

Tonight I did a strip loin steak in my grill pan and had a great salad to go with it.

64SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went out for a late lunch after my water exercise ((Boy, was I HUNGRY!!)) so no supper here tonight. Dane decided to heat up some chili from the freezer. I'll have an apple w/cream cheese in a little while and that should hold me until tomorrow.

65SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for supper. I had a tuna fish salad on rye at 2:30.

Gabe is having shrimp. Frozen cooked. When I baby sit...I don't cook.
Frozen tater tots heated, and corn. Crackers with the shrimp, and cocktail sauce.

I may ( MAY ) throw a steak on the grill. Tina has a hard time with steak; so it will be just for me.
She is at the hospital, and she had a pot roast and mashed potatoes from the Meal that her aunt cannot eat.

66SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Tuscan%20shrimp5

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Tuscan%20shrimp7

67SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well................... I know what's for supper!

P I Z Z A........ from Carmines in Netcong. Tina will pick it up on way home from the hospital.

68SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Niagara Visitor

Went out for supper with a friend and her daughter.  We went to a local Italian place where I learned to love grilled octopus.......................... Unfortunately, I guess not enough people ordered it, for it's no longer on the menu.  So, I ordered something  (forgot what they called it) but it had shrimp, mussels, scallops, chorizo, zuccinni, peppers, onion, lots of garlic and probably other good things.  It was written up as being in a tomato sauce, I asked if they could do it in a cream sauce, and they did.  There was added  cheese and it was fabulous!  I love a restaurant that is willing to change something for me!

Somehow, I don't like seafood with tomato sauces, love it with cream sauces.

69SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your meal sounds lovely, Niagara. And I agree, the sign of an excellent restaurant is when the chef will accomodate a request.

I once asked to have a meal substituted with parsley instead of cilantro ~ the waitress returned and stated the chef said it would 'substantially change' his dish, so it was not possible. I had my glass of water and called it a night.

70SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:42 am

Niagara Visitor

My big thing in the last couple of years has been about caraway when I am in a breakfast place.  I hate caraway.  Am not allergic to it, and if I was at your house and it was in a dish, I would eat it.  HOWEVER, when I am ordering breakfast, and they tell me that their rye toast does not have caraway, and the it does, I get annoyed.  They seem to think that you have to see the little crescent shaped seeds in bread.  NO, there is ground caraway that is used.

I know, I'm a PITA!

71SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:My big thing in the last couple of years has been about caraway when I am in a breakfast place.  I hate caraway.  Am not allergic to it, and if I was at your house and it was in a dish, I would eat it.  HOWEVER, when I am ordering breakfast, and they tell me that their rye toast does not have caraway, and the it does, I get annoyed.  They seem to think that you have to see the little crescent shaped seeds in bread.  NO, there is ground caraway that is used.

I know, I'm a PITA!

We were invited to friends house, and the pork steaks were sprinkled with caraway seeds. I never had caraway seeds with meats, but the woman, Olga was German. She said the Germans cook pork with caraway seeds. I happen to love seeded rye. Tina ate the pork, but she flicked the seeds off her chop.
I guess I like them from eating a lot of meals with Italian Fennel seeds; which are really not seeds. Being Italian and growing up in that atmosphere I guess is is what tastes you eat with, or you don't eat!....
I like the anise seeds too. Especially in biscotti and a few ( very few )in Italian hot sausage.

72SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:36 am

Niagara Visitor

I am German, but have never heard of cooking pork with caraway.  Sauerkraut, yes.  You don't get gassy when it is used.

73SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I prefer my pork and sauerkraut without caraway. I also do not like sweetened sauerkraut.....sugar ruins it for me!

I prefer my rye bread without it, too.

74SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:14 pm

NormM

NormM

I didn't know that they were called Spencer steaks either. I asked butcher for Chuck Eye steaks and he said they were also called Spencer steaks. I know there are a lot of other steaks called Delmonico around the country but here they are usually rib eye steaks.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

75SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am German, but have never heard of cooking pork with caraway.  Sauerkraut, yes.  You don't get gassy when it is used.

Ok... it just came to me since you mentioned it. She did after browning the pork, add it to sauerkraut, and added the caraway seeds to that.
LOL....I had to put my long time ago memory into gear. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum