Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 13]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have taken to slicing instead of pounding chicken breasts too.  Partially freezing and using sticks as guides are good ideas.  So far though I have just held it with one hand on top and used a sharp 9" Chef's knife. It just takes about two long pulls to get through and they come out pretty even.  Your ways sound safer and easier though.
Thanks Norm! Yes! It is a good way to slice if one is a stickler for same size conformity like I am.
Even burgers and meatballs are all the same size when I press / roll them out.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a nice omelet that I made before I went to sleep last night! It was great just waking up, and having a coffee and getting my creaking bones and joints to limber up; without chopping and splashing and beating eggs for that omelet!!

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Wj8e

I made the pre cooked French Toast for Tina. She had that, and it was
ingested before I could get a picture of it.

Then... I cleaned more windows outside, and Tina Made BBQ Hot Dogs.
We tiddled at them eating samples and buns full till full.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Wnfe

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 1ffx

For supper, Tina made hot Turkey sandwiches and mashed potatoes for her and GD.... Not Me! Uh Uh!....

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Q5m1

I had some Burnt Toast with butter. My tummy was a little queezy from the greasy hot dogs.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 I582

SOoooo!! We are all happy and full for the time being!

I may make a batch of French Toast for tomorrows breakfast.
I like sausages with That...so I will pree cook that so that all I have to do is heat them up tomorrow!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Cb1e28a95e4e54439d5b075281780277

My orange food for today.

Orange chicken..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Cb1e28a95e4e54439d5b075281780277

My orange food for today.

Orange chicken..
Wow! Looks good Barb!
Gee....could ya make Banana Chicken too??

Barbara101

Barbara101

you know I did make something with banana's Razz Razz I have to think about what it was lol.

Oh Oh I remember ,,it was grilled bananas with squirt of lime.geek 

I do think I made other food with banana..Gosh Now that I think about it I bet stuffed chicken breast with banana & pecans would be good hahahaha
..oh yum..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I only have a few more days here before I head back to the villa....sometimes it seems I've been here forever, other times it seems I didn't get as much accomplished in the short time I've been back....

When we got back from Indiana yesterday I asked the 10 yr. old what he wanted for supper....noodles.

He didn't care what it was as long as it was with noodles. So we had beef stroganoff on noodles and buttered carrots.

Today I browned up a 3# pkg. of ground beef and made two pans of marinara sauce, using about 6 - 16 oz. containers of the tomato juice from the freezer and a couple jars of store bought marinara as a base. I made two casserole dishes of baked pasta, one for tonight and one for the freezer and ended up with 8 - 16 oz. containers of marinara to freeze. I sure hope DD thaws it out and makes some meals with it.

So, tonight will be baked pasta, toasted bread and a tossed salad.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I only have a few more days here before I head back to the villa....sometimes it seems I've been here forever, other times it seems I didn't get as much accomplished in the short time I've been back....

When we got back from Indiana yesterday I asked the 10 yr. old what he wanted for supper....noodles.

He didn't care what it was as long as it was with noodles.  So we had beef stroganoff on noodles and buttered carrots.

Today I browned up a 3# pkg. of ground beef and made two pans of marinara sauce, using about 6 - 16 oz. containers of the tomato juice from the freezer and a couple jars of store bought marinara as a base.  I made two casserole dishes of baked pasta, one for tonight and one for the freezer and ended up with 8 - 16 oz. containers of marinara to freeze.  I sure hope DD thaws it out and makes some meals with it.  

Ha Ha Ha .... Noodles. GD used to call them "Noonies"...
She loves anything as long as it's on noodles. Her favorite is the beef stroganoff on noodles.Soup...with noodles too!
DD was over today, and brought chicken soup she made.
Mommy and GD could have that. It's all white meat so it can't be that bad.
DD is fussy so I know it is made with care. By care, I mean, no bones or any skin or anything that looks like fat! ...hahaahaha

We have stuff in the freezer too, but the kids won't use it. It' that they are too lazy #1...to take it, and #2 to thaw it out, and #3 to even think about having it in the first place!
For instance...DD will say,"Gee I should have made beef stew!" ...I would say, in the freezer mom made nice beef stew two weeks ago; take that and thaw it out!" .... Naw" I don't want to go through that (#)! .....They are just L A Z Y ! Period!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We'll see if DD decides it is too much trouble to thaw out a meal.... Actually, if she got something out to thaw and left a note for her dad, he would put it in the oven. He is pretty good at following written instructions. She just has to leave the note or give him a call. Doubt she will do that...

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I have taken to slicing instead of pounding chicken breasts too.  Partially freezing and using sticks as guides are good ideas.  So far though I have just held it with one hand on top and used a sharp 9" Chef's knife. It just takes about two long pulls to get through and they come out pretty even.  Your ways sound safer and easier though.
That's the same thing and the same knife I use, Norm, though I have tried the long knife with the cutouts in the blade (slicing knife with minimal drag -- can't remember the name of it for the life of me) with some success. I've had pretty good luck, like you, with the even slices, though, of course, the ends are thinner. But it doesn't even pay to hammer it further I've found. Not to mention it's a whole lot easier and quicker than hammering them. Plus the freezing helps my "holding hand" not slip which is what I always worry about.

I had to laugh, as I do use chopsticks when I'm cutting into say a whole onion to wrap in foil on the grill after seasoning -- those chopsticks help my hand from slipping and slicing the whole way through, I find.

I also find the thinner boneless breasts much easier to cook with and also a more reasonable size, as I cannot believe how huge the breasts have gotten.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I forgot about staying on topic so we're having the leftover paneed chicken breasts tonight on toasted hamburger buns, with a half of a smoked red bell pepper and some melted gruyere cheese on top. We're going to use some mayo mixed with some wasabi paste on the bun, as well as a nice piece of leaf lettuce for some crunch.

Homemade sliced lime pickles on the side, too. These were way too tart when I made them but after a couple of weeks in the brine, they're really delicious now (my first attempt at making pickles with our homegrown cukes).

NormM

NormM

The knife you are thinking of is probably a Santoku.

Cassie,her sister and two babies left for Texas yesterday. Her sisters husband is getting out of the Army in a few days and they are moving down there. Cassie went with her sister to help her move into their new place. She flies back on Tuesday.

Today Charlie and I had steaks on the grill, green beans, corn relish and twice baked potatoes. I just finished dessert which was an ice cream cone of Chocolate Silk.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The knife you are thinking of is probably a Santoku.
Yep, that's it. I got mine years ago when my brother-in-law traveled to Germany. It's a Wustoff (spelling?) and when I first got it, I called it a ham knife as I'd never seen Santokos back then. God knows how we've learned to depend on that knife. It truly is keen for slicing meat...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:The knife you are thinking of is probably a Santoku.
Yep, that's it.  I got mine years ago when my brother-in-law traveled to Germany.  It's a Wustoff (spelling?) and when I first got it, I called it a ham knife as I'd never seen Santokos back then.  God knows how we've learned to depend on that knife.  It truly is keen for slicing meat...

I HAVE TO LAUGH Ooops caps locked...when you say ham knife!!

hahhahaha.... We have a set of those Knives from Stanely Home Products
I'll never forget...oh about 35 years ago we just moved here, and Tina found out there was a man who sold Stanley Products. "The Stanley Man!"

That knife is the ham knife. It's just a blade about 12 0r 13 inches by 3/4 inch wide with no point.

Good Ole Stanley Products. Moth Crystals and All!

Oooops!.... Sorry about that OT.

Getting ready to grill the little steaks, and Tina is heating the chicken soup.
DD made that! .............. Then after that....We have Candy to nibble on; like a bunch of Ooompa Loompa's From Willie Wonka Land!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Barbara101 wrote:you know I did make something with banana's Razz Razz I have to think about what it was lol.

I do think I made other food with banana..Gosh Now that I think about it I bet stuffed chicken breast with banana & pecans would be good hahahaha
..oh yum..
Barbara... your orange food pictures look so beautiful and delicious.. the cheesecake too..

talking about banana.. we use it for many kind of sweet dessert, we wrap bananas in egg roll wrappers and deep fry, we cook it in coconut milk, in our country we have so many kind of bananas, various size too, from pinky size to bull horn size, here are some of them.. sold at the road vendor.. my DH loves to take pictures of them

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Bogorpisan

those I made for our breakfast, Burro bananas ( mostly sold at Mexican of Asian stores ), I pan fried with butter, then sprinkled with cheese

for my DH

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 DSCN8323

this was mine, I like mine with condensed milk and chocolate flakes

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 DSCN8325

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I only have a few more days here before I head back to the villa....sometimes it seems I've been here forever, other times it seems I didn't get as much accomplished in the short time I've been back....

He didn't care what it was as long as it was with noodles.  So we had beef stroganoff on noodles and buttered carrots.

Today I browned up a 3# pkg. of ground beef and made two pans of marinara sauce, using about 6 - 16 oz. containers of the tomato juice from the freezer and a couple jars of store bought marinara as a base.  I made two casserole dishes of baked pasta, one for tonight and one for the freezer and ended up with 8 - 16 oz. containers of marinara to freeze.  I sure hope DD thaws it out and makes some meals with it.  

I'll start cooking for my DH too.. I just bought ingredients for lasagna, pasta, shepherd pies.. I bought a lot ground beef too, for either meat balls or meatloaf, I'll be gone for more than a month, so if I can cook his meals at least for 2 weeks, I'd feel less guilty Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 1838020472  lol! 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:you know I did make something with banana's Razz Razz I have to think about what it was lol.

..oh yum..
Barbara... your orange food pictures look so beautiful and delicious.. the cheesecake too..

talking about banana.. we use it for many kind of sweet dessert, we wrap bananas in egg roll wrappers and deep fry, we cook it in coconut milk, in our country we have so many kind of bananas, various size too, from pinky size to bull horn size, here are some of them.. sold at the road vendor.. my DH loves to take pictures of them

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Bogorpisan

those I made for our breakfast, Burro bananas ( mostly sold at Mexican of Asian stores ), I pan fried with butter, then sprinkled with cheese

for my DH

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 DSCN8323

this was mine, I like mine with condensed milk and chocolate flakes

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 DSCN8325
Nice Bananas Imelda.
Tina likes banana sandwiches on toast. Butter and banana sliced lengthwise.

I like banana strings and on the green side. I eat them ripe, but I like green ones. That way, they taste like a tree. SOoooo Earthy and Fresh!.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Soup that DD made, and I made a nice tomato and Greek Oregano and garlic salad with sugar; oil. and a little rice wine vinegar.

I made the couple steaks....tough and chewy, but tasty.
They were nice lean round steak cuts.
GD eats her steak with Ketchup! Yuuck!

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Xhq9

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 J9o6

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Kppj

Dessert was Biscotti, and Apple Turnovers from a bakery in Morristown, NJ.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 Wadt

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 8aox

Barbara101

Barbara101

Imelda those bananas look so good. Wish I could eat them..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm trying to make all the 10 yr. old's favorites before I leave on Saturday. Tonight I'll make chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with milk gravy, steamed broccoli and a tossed salad.

Here's an old pic of a similar supper....

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 11-18-11b

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Tonight is meatloaf, baked potatoes and sautéed zucchini with fresh basil. I got the cutest basil for the garden, they look like little mounds of basil and don't go to seed easily and are completely rounded. I also got a broad leaf parsley that is very dark green and bush like also.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am sticking to my Orange colored food for this month.Either with or without orange taste.

Grilled salmon tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, Barb, you are WAY more creative than I am....

I feel lucky to just come up with an idea, let alone consider the color....

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 4 4056093967 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Gee Whizzers.
Just woke up from a little nap. It got warmer and humid out. Tina made some kind of chopped mushroom and cheese dip in the oven, and we ate that with crackers.
It was good. Anyone like mushroom and cheese dips,
i'll post the recipe.

Holy Cow! 5 minutes after that, we crashed.
Maybe the mushrooms were poison.
I told Tina. "Maybe it was like Snow White when she ate the poison apple and went to sleep for years?"
Tina said,"NO!" "I woke up, and didn't see no handsome prince standing beside me!" I said sadly!" "What about me?" She said,"Well...You were standing there, but more like Joe The Plumber!"......hahahaaha Then I said,"Yeah, and you like Josephine The Plumber!"
..................she's peeved now!...........

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Did you ever like have a day where you forgot what you ate?

I had a day like that. I remember nibbling on the mushroom dip that tina made. I have picked up a couple cookies and a piece of apple turnover.
There was a slice of lonely rye bread in the bag; so I grabbed a couple slices of ham lunchmeat, and threw that in between the bread and folded it.

That was wolved down in 1 minute...
I'm thinking of frying some bacon, and then having a BLT with Cheese on toast.

Barbara101

Barbara101

bought some Jamaican Jerk rub.I have on the ready,, some chicken soaking in it.Then I will wrap in bacon & smoke with hickory chips.

Orange for the day..Poke cake.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum