Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 13]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well... it's another Month of Cooking!
A brand New September...My favorite Month, and My favorite Song!cheers 
I'm sure this one will be very interesting as far as cooking goes!
Get those Fall Aprons on, and "Start Cooking!"

bethk

bethk
Admin

GREAT song! From a time when you could understand all the words and there was a melody and refrain.....nice, thanks!

I plan to make some chicken salad for lunch with celery, grapes and toasted sliced almonds.

Barbara101

Barbara101

September used to be my favorite month.

It was the beginning of fall.It meant cooler weather.It meant putting away the white pants & summer shoes. bringing out the fall clothes. bringing out a sweat shirt & sweater.It meant wanting comfort foods.

Now it means peak hurricane month.
Still HOT as heck.
I wear white all fall & winter.
I wear flip flops & sandals all fall & winter. and to put on a closed shoe is not on my list.
Comfort food? Yes.But will have to wait till October for that.

AND I am a year older Sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes 

bethk

bethk
Admin

What day are you officially a year older?

Do I have time to bake a cake? Or a dish of yogurt with sparklers lit and shining?

NormM

NormM

I usually have nightmares around this time of year. I have dreams that I am still teaching.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I usually have nightmares around this time of year. I have dreams that I am still teaching.
I'll bet you got a lot of apples on that first day.
We didn't have apples when were kids. We had lots of Coal though! Razz 

NormM

NormM

I don't think I ever got an apple. Didn't like red delicious apples anyway. Those were about the only kind back then.

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was in school, a big farming community, some kids would place a wormy apple on the desk of certain teachers....subtle, huh?

Supper tonight is going to be a mish-mash of a meal. Seasoned chicken chunks on skewers to go on the grill, sauted green zucchini & onion, green beans, the rest of the asparagus I didn't cook last night and a cucumber/onion salad with a sour cream/vinegar syrup dressing. The 10 yr. old will insist he doesn't like zucchini and then take a second serving.....happens every time. Oh, and we will start with a small dish of spinach artichoke dip I pulled out of the freezer because I wanted to pack my matching gratin dish.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 954792_4657224676030_839205515_n

I ate early very early.I was busy messing in the kitchen & did not eat anything all day.

100` today. grilled the steak, made a cold salad .I will be hungry at 9 pm.Shocked 

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! Now that is a picture perfect meal!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Been noshing on beef cubes; pork cubes ; and veal cubes; and meatballs in the sauce that Tina made for tomorrow'

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 Iaz9

Also been munching on these cheese twists.....

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 Hl88

It's not really supper; so I think I will have a nice BLT&C & O with S sandwich.
Bacon / lettuce / tomato / cheese / onion / and salami.
Green Onions on the side dipped in salt. Maybe some hot peppers!Smile 

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

steak and meatballs look so yummy Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 3593629538 

I'm so tired after cooking for the whole week.. but I'm so happy to see my friends and h er family enjoyed my foods...

one of our traditional foods for birthday celebration (the most common one) is yellow rice, cooked with grated fresh turmeric and coconut milk, usually molded in cone shape.. I made a mini one, so I used a party hat, wrapped with aluminum foil and lined with banana leaf... for the side dishes.. I made Spicy beef, chicken liver in spicy coconut milk gravy, potato balls and fried noodles ( a must eat for a birthday celebration)

I cooked potato balls, spicy beef, and prepped ( cut and diced then fried potatoes, liver and chicken meat for my spicy chicken liver) earlier this week, today I woke up early to cook rice, finish the spicy liver, heat the rest in my oven.. it  went well... my DH helped with loading and unloading Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 3593629538  and oh he was my quality control person for my cooking, and he approved
Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 1838020472

I'm not good in decorating it.. I only played with the colors... so simple one.. I can't carve veggies for decoration, sometimes people used carve carrots, tomatoes, chilies and others veggies to make good and beautiful cone shape yellow rice

check out wikipedia for our yellow rice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumpeng

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 5-1

I added some quail eggs

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 7

fried noodles, usually quail eggs added ( I pan fried the eggs with a bit oil)

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 4-1

here is the main course, spicy beef, spicy chicken liver with potatoes and chicken meat, potato balls

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 3-1

yellow rice.. I lined my slow cooker with parchment paper.. to keep  warm only.. I cooked my rice in a big pan, after the liquid was absorbed, I moved them in a steamer and steamed until done

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 DSCN8259

here is my DH's brunch.. and he approved Wink 

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 1-2

we did not eat at the party.. we went to Red Robins to have burgers instead.. it was my treat but he ended up paying it Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 1838020472

now I'm going to sleep long hours tonight.. no morning walk tomorrow bounce

bethk

bethk
Admin

Goodness, Imelda, you must be exhausted !!!

But what a celebration meal you made for your friends! I love the fact you are able and willing to provide the traditional celebration foods for your friends and to provide them with a taste of home for such a special occasion. Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us.

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Who's bday was it, Imelda???  Yours or your hubbys?  And Barbara, is yours this month too?  Mine is in 10 days and I will be 59.  I told Larry that I have just one more year before I am officially old and he said I will always be young.  What a guy!!!  

Yesterday, we cooked most of the day and I cooked into this morning and am going to the store to pick up a few things and then coming back to finish a couple more dishes and then I'm off to bed until tomorrow.  The dog has been barking his fool head off at the paper delivery guy and neighborhood animals that run loose.  Now he is crashed out behind my chair, tuckered out from guard duty.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a small rack of baby back ribs to put on the grill today. I had my mouth all set for some Memphis Coleslaw (thank you, Norm, for posting the recipe for me on the other site....) but now I realize I don't have all the ingredients. Darn! I'd go get what I need but since I'm leaving in less than two weeks the majority of what I need will just go to waste because DD will never have a use for the stuff. But just reading the recipe for the hot dressing with the chili sauce and mustard and poured over the wilted cabbage and jalapeño....well, I could just taste it without making it.

I think our recipes differed slightly, however, as I'm pretty sure I poured the hot dressing over the cabbage, etc. and mixed and cooled it. I remember being happy the cabbage retained the crunch.

My grandma made a hot dressed cabbage salad long ago - I think it was referred to as refrigerator slaw. It was a boiled dressing as well. But the Memphis Slaw recipe has the kick of the jalapeño that is a surprise heat, but not too spicy.

I guess I'll just wait to make it for a later date....but, thanks, Norm, for reminding me how much I like that recipe!

NormM

NormM

In Memphis, they put that slaw in a sandwich with pulled pork.

Barbara101

Barbara101

In South Carolina they do too. Very Happy 

bethk

bethk
Admin

All I know is, when I take it to a potluck and start to pack up to leave, it's gone!  Good stuff.

I did a search for hot slaw dressing and came across one that sounds like the one grandma made...

1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. White Vinegar
2 Tbsp. French's Yellow Mustard
1 Egg

Mix well, bring to a boil and pour over shredded cabbage.

I'm just not sure how that would work with boiling once the egg is incorporated....afraid the boiling would cause the egg to scramble. I think I'd probably boil the ingredients, carefully temper into the beaten egg and then pour over. Then the egg would still be cooked and creamy but not be hard cooked.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:steak and meatballs look so yummy Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 3593629538 

I'm so tired after cooking for the whole week.. but I'm so happy to see my friends and h er family enjoyed my foods...

one of our traditional foods for birthday celebration (the most common one) is yellow rice, cooked with grated fresh turmeric and coconut milk, usually molded in cone shape.. I made a mini one, so I used a party hat, wrapped with aluminum foil and lined with banana leaf... for the side dishes.. I made Spicy beef, chicken liver in spicy coconut milk gravy, potato balls and fried noodles ( a must eat for a birthday celebration)

I cooked potato balls, spicy beef, and prepped ( cut and diced then fried potatoes, liver and chicken meat for my spicy chicken liver) earlier this week, today I woke up early to cook rice, finish the spicy liver, heat the rest in my oven.. it  went well... my DH helped with loading and unloading Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 3593629538  and oh he was my quality control person for my cooking, and he approved
Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 1838020472
now I'm going to sleep long hours tonight.. no morning walk tomorrow bounce
confused I dont know how you can prepare so much and not BE TIRED!.... You deserve a week off after that! ... I had my eye on that spicy hot beef. Ummm!

The Quail eggs reminded me of a friend! He since died. He made Tea Eggs. The eggs I think ? marinated in vinegar, and he wrapped tea leaves around the hard boiled eggs. They looked like Marble Eggs when done. The taste was very bitter and salty though!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:Who's bday was it, Imelda???  Yours or your hubbys?  And Barbara, is yours this month too?  Mine is in 10 days and I will be 59.  I told Larry that I have just one more year before I am officially old and he said I will always be young.  What a guy!!!  

Yesterday, we cooked most of the day and I cooked into this morning and am going to the store to pick up a few things and then coming back to finish a couple more dishes and then I'm off to bed until tomorrow.  The dog has been barking his fool head off at the paper delivery guy and neighborhood animals that run loose.  Now he is crashed out behind my chair, tuckered out from guard duty.
Tina is 1 year younger, and she says,"When you hit 69, let me know how it is, and I won't follow behind you any more! hahahaha

Barbara101

Barbara101

When you hit 69,

I can tell you ,,getting old is not for sissies....affraid 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ah, but the alternative is not anything we want to explore......

I'm happy any day I wake up and (most) everything functions.....lol! 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ah, but the alternative is not anything we want to explore......

I'm happy any day I wake up and (most) everything functions.....lol! 
Tina doesn't understand the body changes with every 5 to 7 years.
She is having stomach pressure and gas bubbles , and it goes away with taking a Zantac ...

Gee, I told her,"Hon do you think maybe egg salad sandwiches at 11:00 at night could nave something to do with it?"

Those cheese twists are all oil too. I tried telling her to eat bland for a few days. She may have a irritation. NOoooo... Sausage and meatballs with bread and butter is NOT BlanD!!!!!!!Mad 

I even have been having gastric gird lately. It's called punishing the tummy too much. Cheese is oily too!!

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

My hubs has lots of tummy troubles and he sometimes only eats saltines, applesauce, yogurt and cottage cheese for days on end. He is doing better since they have his anemia in check. Tina may need a bed wedge to elevate her upper body while she sleeps. That can make a world of difference with stomach problems and allergy/sinus stuff, too.

We just finished boiling macaroni and are adding a package of the Savory Meat Base and a jar of Classico fire-roasted pizza sauce for American-style Goulash. I use the jars from the sauce for canning but they have changed the lids so that a canning ring doesn't fit them anymore. So I bought every jar on shelves of the old style. They are nicer than Ball jars IMO and they are what I use for pints. Their marinara jars are what I use for quarts and they've changed the lids on those too. I'll post the recipe for the Savory Meat Base in case anyone is interested. It might be something for your DD to make, Beth -- easy and provides the meat for 3 different dishes.

NormM

NormM

Here is lunch today
Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 DSCN0686_zps45264aaf

Beth I used the okra recipe you posted. It was good. The recipes are here.

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

This was the first time I tried to make Diana Kennedy's rice recipe. I used short grain rice instead of long grain and used the rice cooker.  I also used too much chicken stock.  I'll do better next time, I hope.

Chicken salad, Japanese eggplant, rice and okra.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 13]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum