Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month??

+3
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

1DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? Empty DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:58 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was here, so I figured on making the new Month thread.
Wow! The end of the year.
I'm sure there will be more than usual cooking ideas this month with being the festive Month, and the cooking of specialties that are so good to enjoy!

Oh well... tomorrow is Sunday, and I doubt anything will be cooked; considering that there are leftovers from Thanksgiving.
If anything, I could go for A nice mushroom and cheese omelet.
Not spicy, but browned the way I like it.
We shall see. bounce

Cookin Lore

Sons and one daughter-in-law were here for brunch. Other DIL is in Toronto to see "Come from Away". By their request it is always, schnitzels, eggs, homefries. Bread/bagels, smoked salmon, coffee, juice.

Lousy weather, freezing rain, the temp is -2C so roads are slippery as hell. They live about 60km. away, but got home safely. DIL took the train, so she's fine. Sigh......................... But, it is Canada and it is December. Gotta put up with it, or move. I'm not moving.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:Sons and one daughter-in-law were here for brunch. Other DIL is in Toronto to see "Come from Away".  By their request it is always, schnitzels, eggs, homefries. Bread/bagels, smoked salmon, coffee, juice.

Lousy weather, freezing rain, the temp is -2C so roads are slippery as hell.  They live about 60km. away, but got home safely.  DIL took the train, so she's fine.  Sigh......................... But, it is Canada and it is December.  Gotta put up with it, or move. I'm not moving.

The brunch sounds good Lore! I love smoked salmon on my bagel with cream cheese.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It got down to 32F last night and now is 58F. The snow is really low now, about 1500ft above sea level.
I am going to make turkey pot pie tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It got down to 32F last night and now is 58F. The snow is really low now, about 1500ft above sea level.
I am going to make turkey pot pie tonight.

Gee, I was surprised CA got snow where it did.
I think pot pies are a tasty one fits all meal.
Another thing I tasted, was turkey croquettes when we ate at a diner in Penn Dutch country. So crunchy outside, and the ground turkey mixed with what they call filling ( mashed potatoes and stuffing together ), was so good.

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Sons and one daughter-in-law were here for brunch. Other DIL is in Toronto to see "Come from Away".  By their request it is always, schnitzels, eggs, homefries. Bread/bagels, smoked salmon, coffee, juice.

Lousy weather, freezing rain, the temp is -2C so roads are slippery as hell.  They live about 60km. away, but got home safely.  DIL took the train, so she's fine.  Sigh......................... But, it is Canada and it is December.  Gotta put up with it, or move. I'm not moving.

The brunch sounds good Lore! I love smoked salmon on my bagel with cream cheese.

I think the next time they come, I'll make something different. 17 years of B&B breakfasts, I learned to make other things too. They'll just have to eat it, right?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

I think the next time they come, I'll make something different.  17 years of B&B breakfasts, I learned to make other things too.  They'll just have to eat it, right?  

And they'll be smilin' the whole time!

bethk

bethk
Admin

December 1st ~ ~ Back to the 'same-old / same-old'......but enjoyable all the same.

Spaghetti Squash with marinara (and half of mine with butter and s&p) ~ and the last of the loaf of olive bread from Fresh Market that got toasted.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? 12_01_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Haddock fillet with button mushrooms and onions and tomatoes.
Crackers as a pusher.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? Img_1646

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:December 1st ~ ~ Back to the 'same-old / same-old'......but enjoyable all the same.

Spaghetti Squash with marinara (and half of mine with butter and s&p) ~ and the last of the loaf of olive bread from Fresh Market that got toasted.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? 12_01_10

Isn't this something? I love all olives, but not on pizza or in a sauce, or in a spread. Just alone on the side.
In olive bread though, I cannot stop eating it!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cookin Lore wrote:Lousy weather, freezing rain, the temp is -2C so roads are slippery as hell.  

Wow, that's REALLY cold for us in New Orleans, Lore, as it's just over 28°F! When it gets down that low here for more than 3 or 4 hours, we will have to run a trickle of water (about the size of lead in a pencil) in the faucet farthest away from the water main outside a person's house. Lots of people just run a trickle from each of their faucets like people used to do but, of course, it makes the water pressure in an area extremely low which is dangerous for any fires that might occur. Sadly, when it's very cold here, many people run space heaters while others, believe it or not, run the burners on their gas stoves on high So fires often occur when our weather is unusually cold.

When Brian and I used to make and deliver smoked turkeys for Christmas presents, we used to deliver a turkey to an older lady and her husband who lived about 4 or 5 blocks from us. Louise (a/k/a Weezy) became friendly with us because she took the bus to and from work and passed our house on her way to the bus stop. I've related before how I usually speak to everyone who walks by, even if it's only a "good morning" and even if they never responded to my greeting. Weezy, like me, spoke to everyone, always returned my greeting and we soon became "fence talking" friends. Soon Brian knew Weezy too and we were both in love! Some of you might remember me saying Weezy passed by right after Christmas and told me the week prior she wondered what the wonderful smells she encountered when passing our house were. I told her how we smoked and delivered turkeys for Christmas presents and how we were now up to 8, which necessitated our taking turns getting up in the middle of the night to take usually two turkeys off the smoker and then lugging each up to the second floor apartment we lived in. She smiled (she's African American, probably in her late 80s now but was about mid-60s then, a gorgeous woman with a smile that could even win over a grouch!) and said, "I sure wish I was one of those lucky 8, Michelle!" Of course, even though I just laughed and said nothing, I think we both knew right then and there that Weezy and her husband "Bat" (their last name was Batiste) would get a turkey the following year. When we went to deliver it, Bat answered the door (we'd seen Weezy waiting for the bus downtown near Brian's office one day when I was picking him up after work, and drove her home so we knew where she lived) and said, "Weezy's out and about right now but she told me you two might be coming by!" All three of us had a good laugh, we handed over the turkey and a jar of my cranberry orange sauce and as they say, "it was on" for many years to come. Weezy and Bat were our first delivery for many years until the disabled merchant seaman who lived across the street lost his elderly mom who took care of him; Bubba's turkey never even got loaded into the car but just trucked across the street. Everyone who made it onto the turkey list remained on it until they passed away or moved away, which gradually began to happen as most were elderly. I also gave a turkey to the attorney(s) I was working for each Christmas, as it was an inexpensive gift and much-lauded over gift. We eventually bought a second smoker just to make Christmas time a bit easier and still have two 22-inch Weber Smokey Mountain cookers to this day!

One particularly cold Saturday or Sunday before Christmas, our usual day for delivery, she told us Bat was in the back of the house and asked for us to come in and say hello when we got there. Their darling house, always meticulously maintained, was what we call in N.O. a "pea shooter," which is a VERY narrow "shotgun" house, with each room leading into the next room without any hallways. Most shotguns were narrow, too, and ended with the kitchen and the bathroom, which meant you had to walk through all the bedrooms to get to the bathroom! They were lucky, though, as there was a room past the kitchen and bath which they used for a den. When we walked through their home, which was hotter than a sauna, the stove in the kitchen had all four burners on high. When we left and she was following us out, Weezy grabbed me as I walked past the stove as my hair was long and it scared her that I passed so close to the stove! I hadn't even thought of that as I walked out but I think of Weezy and Bat each time cold weather comes and I hear of residential fires begun by space heaters or stoves being used to heat homes.

Weezy finally moved back to N.O. last year; she'd been living with one of her adult kids in one state after another since 2005's Katrina, and lives in a small apartment in East New Orleans (probably 20 miles from us), but we kept in touch with her since the storm. Bat died a couple of years after the storm. She'd call us each time she changed houses so we'd have her number. If I ever start using the smokers again now that Brian can no longer do it, my first cook will be a turkey on both levels of the smoker so I can drive one out to Weezy!

Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The brunch sounds good Lore! I love smoked salmon on my bagel with cream cheese.

Wow, Jimmy, I was surprised to hear you love lox and bagels but don't care for a nice grilled or broiled salmon steak. I'm right there with you with my love lox of and bagels and have mine with cream cheese AND capers. Yummy! Outside of Eggs Benedict, that's one of my favorite breakfasts.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? 3593629538

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cookin Lore wrote:I think the next time they come, I'll make something different. 17 years of B&B breakfasts, I learned to make other things too. They'll just have to eat it, right?

I'll bet you can knock out a delicious breakfast in no time, too, Lore! Wish I lived closer so I could sample one. Smile

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:...and the last of the loaf of olive bread from Fresh Market that got toasted.

I laughed, as I picked up some more of the pitted Kalamata olives at our grocery's olive bar last Wednesday so I could make some more olive bread. Brian was over the moon about it the last time I made it. Last time i made it with feta but I might try it with extra sharp cheddar this time as I realized the other day I have way too much on hand.

I think I told y'all last Wednesday I picked up all the stuff to make Thanksgiving dinner since we had dinner Thursday at my BIL Ed's house. I made cranberry orange sauce on Saturday and started making my turkey stock, as I bought turkey necks last week and had gizzards in the freezer. Yesterday I got the neck and giblets out of the turkey, put it on to roast and made the oyster stuffing (er, dressing I guess).

Since no one would be here except me and Brian, I decided to try roasting the turkey breast side down, then onto each side and then breast up. Even though the turkey was only 13.5 pounds, it was a pain in the neck and I flipped it breast up when I got to the second side as it was just too heavy for me to manipulate when it was hot. I don't know why I even tried it as I have no problems making a turkey with white meat that isn't dry at the same time the dark meat is cooked. Afterwards, I wish I'd spatchcocked it instead as it would've been a heck of a lot easier. Next year, said Brian.

We both enjoyed our belated Thanksgiving dinner though, were glad I'd done it and are looking forward to leftovers today!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Most of you know that I'm not a big baker, though I'd love to be one! One dessert I make more than most though is bread pudding. Though I make it with French bread -- we get a huge bag of French bread pieces and ends from the convenient store a half-mile from us for just $2 and it's Leidenheimer's, which many agree makes the best French bread in N.O. -- the "best" bread pudding is made with challah. Challah appears occasionally in the supermarket that bakes their own bread and rolls but never when I'm wanting to buy some!

But I found a super easy recipe recently that I can make using the stand mixer and had good reviews; makes enough for two loaves and even though my freezer is always jammed, I'll freeze the dough for the second loaf. This morning I went on YouTube to watch a video to see how complicated making a six-strand bread braid was (Beth, I remember you did it when making Jetfan's egg bread) and found a video showing how to make 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9-strand braids of bread. I asked Brian to watch it with me -- we were sitting in bed enjoying our 12-oz. cups of cafe au lait -- as he's not only good at stuff like that but I knew he'd enjoy braiding it for me when I made it. Was shocked at how easy this lady made it sound -- even the 9-strand one. If you're interested, check out her video below (we loved her name, too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6j7esQyjk           DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? 3326752767

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Isn't this something? I love all olives, but not on pizza or in a sauce, or in a spread. Just alone on the side.
In olive bread though, I cannot stop eating it!

Gimme olives....on anything, in anything, alone, stacked up on top of one another.......just don't smoother 'em in cheese (unless it's cream cheese, like a cheese log mixed in olives and rolled in chopped pecans or melted in mozzarella like a pizza or calzone). Love to make olive tapanade to spread on crusty bread....

Do you remember ever putting a black olive on every finger and eating them off, 1 through 10 ?????

Hahahahahaha! (Mom yelled every time!)

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, thanks for your Korean spinach recipe and I, too, went to your blog to see how you made your ham and egg salad. Thanks so much. I have an 8-oz. bag of spinach in the fridge that will go down tonight made as yours was. Brian is not a big spinach eater (he likes spinach salad and discovered he liked creamed spinach several years back) but I could easily polish off 8 ounces of spinach by myself as I love it. It will go nice with our turkey, dressing and cranberry leftovers tonight.

I'd never even heard of or seen ham and egg salad before but that sounds delicious, too. Brian's not a fan of boiled eggs but I might be able to pass that off as ham salad. Once he declared it a winner, I'd have no problem informing him he'd eaten and enjoyed boiled eggs (and egg salad, too).

I do have a question about Thanksgiving at your house, though. Does everyone in your family show up just at the time the meal is ready? I always wanted people to show up an hour or two before the meal to hang out, visit, have a cocktail or a glass of wine and enjoy hors d'oeuvres. If showing up at mealtime is the norm, do they stay later after the meal is over?

I mean no offense but just wondered if this is how other people handle holiday get-togethers. Since you made a turkey and a ham, you must've had a nice crowd of people over!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Do you remember ever putting a black olive on every finger and eating them off, 1 through 10 ?????

Hahahahahaha!  (Mom yelled every time!)

Never did it but i know better than to mention it to Brian!!! Razz Razz

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby wrote:If showing up at mealtime is the norm, do they stay later after the meal is over?

Norm, the pun was unintended!  Embarassed Razz What a Face

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a kabucha squash I picked up on my last trip to Orlando (at the Asian market). So, what goes with squash? Pork ~ of course ~ braised pork steak. And lima beans just to keep him happy.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? 12_02_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Beth.........

Supper was canned cream of celery soup, and cheese with crackers.
Finished the piece of haddock from yesterday.

bethk

bethk
Admin

you have me wanting fish tomorrow, Jimmy.....

I have to go to the seafood market and see what's fresh in the morning.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love green olives stuffed with real bleu cheese.

Dinner was ham sandwiches on Dave's 21 grain bread.

This morning I did a mad scramble to empty the fridge with any leftovers from turkey day. Today is trash day and I didn't want the leftovers percolating in the can all week, so it was a rush to the can.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sunday night my armpit got really sore. Tonight when I was changing into my pj's, I noticed a long red streak running down my arm. Dang! An infection of some kind. I called my BIL and he told me to go down to the ER immediately. I went to urgent care instead. Yup! An infection from some unknown source. A shot in the backside and a script for me. It has been 3 hours since and my armpit is less sore. The shot is working.
I don't know what to cook this week. I hate that. I ask Joe and all I get is "I don't know". He's a big help.
On the way home from UC we stopped at Der Weinerschnitzel for a dipped ice cream cone. Joe loves those things. I don't like the coating at all. Faux chocolate wax. BLECH! I can make my own out of real chocolate that is good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Sunday night my armpit got really sore. Tonight when I was changing into my pj's, I noticed a long red streak running down my arm. Dang! An infection of some kind. I called my BIL and he told me to go down to the ER immediately. I went to urgent care instead. Yup! An infection from some unknown source. A shot in the backside and a script for me. It has been 3 hours since and my armpit is less sore. The shot is working.
I don't know what to cook this week. I hate that. I ask Joe and all I get is "I don't know". He's a big help.
On the way home from UC we stopped at Der Weinerschnitzel for a dipped ice cream cone. Joe loves those things. I don't like the coating at all. Faux chocolate wax. BLECH! I can make my own out of real chocolate that is good.

Feel better Deb. My mom had a red stripe once from her behind the knee to her ankle. The doctor gave her cocaine syrup, and they thought it was
an insect bite. Her leg swelled, but in three days she was better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum