Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:it was so great. I say was ,,that chicken disappeared in a flash.Next time I will make 2.
Next time you need to make a turkey -- or a turkey breast if a turkey would be too big for you. Mmmm!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Crybaby wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:it was so great. I say was ,,that chicken disappeared in a flash.Next time I will make 2.
Next time you need to make a turkey -- or a turkey breast if a turkey would be too big for you.  Mmmm!

Oh I have a turkey just waiting.Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 3593629538 I buy them when on sale 68c/78c a lb.

I also found that I have 2 hams in my freezer.Only thing is they are pre cooked & smoked.???

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

we got 1 small size butternut squash from our backyard, today I shredded ( grated) it and made btnut squash patties.. it was so good.. the nut was so sweet.. we ate it with pan fried teriyaki salmon

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 60-1

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 16-1

bethk

bethk
Admin

If you were Jewish, Imelda, those would be called butternut latkes!

Is there such a thing as a Catholic latke?

Me, I just call thm German potato pancakes......makes no difference what you call them, they taste good and are so tasty they deserve a special name!

Barbara101

Barbara101

I took out another frozen chicken lol Smoking it tomorrow along with a couple ears of corn & a side of smoked mac & cheese. Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 3267860543 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda, good use of the squash!
I was looking at a basket of potatoes on the counter, and Now I have the inspiration from your shredded cakes to make some shredded potato pancakes. ummmm
And we just opened a huge container of sour cream; which I love on my potato pancakes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy....ask Pea for some homemade applesauce to go a along with them, too.

Maybe Barb will smoke some brats...or Norm could smoke some of the ones he makes all the time.

Me, I'll just show up and help flip the potato pancakes in the CI skillet.....oh, and eat! We can all sit around and compare the ones we make with Imelda's....gee, I wonder if she has enough leftover.....hmmmmm.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made some fried sweet green bell peppers today. I had a sandwich and a half with provolone cheese. They were good going down, but they are playing heck with my stomach.

I ate them at like 3 oclock. I may just have a cream cheese on a bagel later.
Tina was MIA today at her other uncles. She's on her way home now.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

New day... thurs.

Tina made sloppy joes ...
Cousin Donna's Recipe..

1lb ground beef chopped onion all browned... salt pepper, add some diced pepper..about 4 tbs. a can of Campbells Tomato Soup...stir and cook simmer covered about 20 minutes. D O N E ....

Having them for supper later this evening. Well Tina and I will eat them. GD won't because they are according to her, contaminated with onions. She can have a hot pocket or a wrap with fresh turkey.

Nice and cool here today...I'm out to cut the grass/weeds.
LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy....ask Pea for some homemade applesauce to go a along with them, too.
Maybe Barb will smoke some brats...or Norm could smoke some of the ones he makes all the time.

Me, I'll just show up and help flip the potato pancakes in the CI skillet.....oh, and eat!  We can all sit around and compare the ones we make with Imelda's....gee, I wonder if she has enough leftover.....hmmmmm.
Yeah Beth... Sounds good.
Norms Brats...Ummmmmmmm!!!

Tina eats potato pancakes with ...uggh..Grape Jelly?????
I eat mine with sour ceam. Or Applesauce but warmed a little.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a package of Johnsonville smoked beef brats....

Thinking of grilling them and then making a big skillet of fried corn & green beans.

Either that or I'll tell Dane what's planned and he'll decide to go out for something else. Whatever. Too tired today to really care much. I tried to take a short nap but couldn't fall asleep. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep all night.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm full now!
I had 3 sloppy Joes. Bit my finger trying to salvage the drippage; and then I bit the cheek inside my mouth on the left side. Now my tooth finds that spot every time I bite, if I bite fast. I'm a fast chewer and fast eater. hahaha...I eat with Gusto! LOL

Food does not stay long in MY dish! I'm a three time chew, and quickly swallow kind of eater.
Also.....Those hamburger buns are so small lately. They only hold like 3 Tbs. of sloppy Joes !

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Now I like grape jelly on my sausage/egg/cheese biscuit from McD's but potato pancakes, no sure but hey, who knows? My hubs prefers sugar sprinkled on his PB sammie instead of jelly mainly because his mom was too cheap to buy jelly for them. And they had plenty of money, they were just cheap.

bethk

bethk
Admin

thesweetestpea wrote:Now I like grape jelly on my sausage/egg/cheese biscuit from McD's but potato pancakes, no sure but hey, who knows?  My hubs prefers sugar sprinkled on his PB sammie instead of jelly mainly because his mom was too cheap to buy jelly for them.  And they had plenty of money, they were just cheap.
There are some people who only buy what THEY like. Then there are others who sacrifice their own wants to be sure their children have what they want. And, amazingly, just about all children survive and adjust just fine from whatever they experience.

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

My parents were the sacrificial type -- my dad said recently, that food, shoes and the dentist were things that he'd never scrimp on and sometimes paying the doctor and dentist $10 a month. In those days the doc would come to the house for kids who were sick as they didn't want them being drug out when sick. My hubs parents always took the best piece of meat and how much they wanted and then the kids got what was left. They didn't starve but they never got their fill either.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 90abbe7f11152f867dfbe3ea77312f92

smoked mac & cheese Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 3267860543

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 F6640ac10de07c40386f534b3ef87352

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! Barb! Tat looks like it should be in my bowl. Ummmmm!!
Recipe basics??? If I may ask!
Looks like cottage cheese??? in there??

Tina just called from Ghigiarelli's Pizza in Old Forge, PA.
I was gonna make something, but Not Now! I'll wait for the Pizza later when she gets home.
She went food shopping with my cousin at a Wegmans Market. She picked out steaks and chopped meat for my cousin.

I had a fried egg and fried cheese with bacon on a fried bagel for breakfast today. Darn, that thing was so good.

I made one for GD but she didn't want her cheese fried.

For lunch, I heated the cauliflower and finished that up.
My stomach is growling now; so I may have something till when the pizza gets here!

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol nope just regular mac & cheese. I smoked it for about a hour.

I had that chicken in there for 2 hours before it even shown smoke.?? Then it went poof ,,smoke.I have to plug it in through a window in my LR & just enough smoking smell gets in.OMG my house smells so good. I don't need to light candles for days. tongue Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 3470128989 

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

breaded pork chops with steamed potatoes and green beans

[Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 3 20[/URL][/img]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh! Boy!
Poke Chops ... Ummmmmm!
L00K Good!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper... ugh!
Supper was rotelli with sauce and meat and meatballs from the other day. BORrrrrrrring!

I think I will make omelets for tomorrow's breakfast.
No big deal. I'll just heat them up in foil in the toaster oven. I am going to make French toast too, but I am trying something new.
I will make the egg and milk batter, and coat and spice with cinnamon and fresh grated nutmeg, and then Par Fry the toasts. Just a tad to firm them up a bit.
Tomorrow when ready to eat the toast, I will just continue cooking them on a buttered electric griddle that we have.
The thing will fit like 8 or 10 French Toasts.

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD made wings on the grill. We had corn cut off the cob, Greek salad and braised baby carrots and radishes Tori and I saw in a magazine and decided to try....interesting.

Tori and I made apple hand pies....YUM!!! they were a real hit.

busy - busy - busy....more later, after i get back home.....

Crybaby

Crybaby

I made breaded chicken cutlets that I sauteed in part butter/part olive oil.  To go with them, I made boxed jambalaya with hot sausage and a wild mushroom sauce to go on the chicken.  

I was out of fresh mushrooms and a trip to the grocery was not in the plan (Brian always says, "I'll go to the grocery," and I always say, "No way.").  I used 1/2 oz. of dried morel mushrooms and 1/2 oz. of dried oyster mushrooms and rehydrated them in 2 cups of chicken stock for 30 minutes.  Then I reduced the broth after I'd removed the mushrooms, which I chopped up for later use in the sauce.  I browned a couple of shallots, added the chopped mushrooms and then the mushroom stock.  After cooking down a bit, I added some half and half and reduced that down after seasoning with salt, pepper, thyme and a tad of cayenne.  I also added about a teaspoon of concentrated mushroom stock.

I had about 12 oz. of uncooked hot sausage (no casing) in the fridge which I browned up and added to some jambalaya mix.  

You know, I used to hammer the chicken breasts prior to flouring, egging and then dipping in bread crumbs.  But I no longer do that.  The chicken breasts we've been getting are so huge that I now trim them and then put them in the freezer loose on a plate for 30 minutes.  Then starting on the wide side, I slice them in two horizontally as evenly as I can.  Though they're not always even as far as thickness, I don't bother hammering them even but just go ahead and proceed with the breading process.  After I bread them, I put them on waxed paper and let them rest for at least 10 minutes -- this helps the gluten develop which holds the crust on so it doesn't dislodge when browning them.  They come out great and could easily pass for breaded veal.  Usually, two minutes per side is just fine. I heat the oven to 200 degrees and put them on newspaper covered with a paper towel to keep them warm while I saute the others (the minute I put them in the oven, I turn the oven off and the residual heat is perfect).

The breaded chicken is also good served with a mustard sauce.  I have a good recipe if anyone wants it.  The mustard sauce is also good on a lot of vegetables, too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:  
You know, I used to hammer the chicken breasts prior to flouring, egging and then dipping in bread crumbs.  But I no longer do that.  The chicken breasts we've been getting are so huge that I now trim them and then put them in the freezer loose on a plate for 30 minutes.  Then starting on the wide side, I slice them in two horizontally as evenly as I can.  Though they're not always even as far as thickness, I don't bother hammering them even but just go ahead and proceed with the breading process.  After I bread them, I put them on waxed paper and let them rest for at least 10 minutes -- this helps the gluten develop which holds the crust on so it doesn't dislodge when browning them.  They come out great and could easily pass for breaded veal.  Usually, two minutes per side is just fine.  I heat the oven to 200 degrees and put them on newspaper covered with a paper towel to keep them warm while I saute the others (the minute I put them in the oven, I turn the oven off and the residual heat is perfect).

The breaded chicken is also good served with a mustard sauce.  I have a good recipe if anyone wants it.  The mustard sauce is also good on a lot of vegetables, too.
Sounds so good Crybaby...
I make the sliced breaded breasts the same way.
Tina buys the whole breasts. I carefully lay the half breast on the cutting board
with a "Chop Sticks" on each side as a thickness guide.

I slide the knife ( a fillet knife works the best) slowly back and forth; while resting the knife on the chop sticks, while I hold my hand on top the meat to cut thin same size thickness slices.

When I get to the thinner piece, for safety so I don't get cut, I use a paper towels wad wrapped with foil, to use as a guard.

I always ask for the chop sticks at the Chinese take out.
One could use wooden dowels as a guide too!
Partially freezing the breasts helps too when slicing thinly!

NormM

NormM

I have taken to slicing instead of pounding chicken breasts too. Partially freezing and using sticks as guides are good ideas. So far though I have just held it with one hand on top and used a sharp 9" Chef's knife. It just takes about two long pulls to get through and they come out pretty even. Your ways sound safer and easier though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum