Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us! Tricks & Treats !!!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

JanaAZ

I have been busy making dinners for families in need and I’ve been so exhausted I didn’t have energy to make dinner for us. A new place opened up by us called chick-in-waffles and people here are usually very snarky, but I’ve seen a lot of GREAT reviews on this place so we had dinner there. It’s fast food, which I don’t usually eat, but it was really good

I had fried chicken on a bubble waffle. Never heard of bubble waffles before but they were very cute.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_9611

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked me if I'd make a recipe I used to make. It took frozen store bough bread dough, thawed rolled out and spread with pizza stuff, rolled up and baked. I looked for the recipe and found one that looked a lot better, I made it and Charlie loved it but I forgot to add a couple of seasonings so I made it again today and it was a lot better. I also saw a recipe in the newspaper that looked good and tried it tonight too. So we had a pasta with an Italian ham in the spaghetti sauce and pizza rolls.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_1216

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

No cooking today, but for me exciting news. There was a keyboard on a stand at the thrift shop a couple of weeks ago, so this afternoon I am starting to take lessons! Hopefully the young instructor can teach this old dog some new (musical) tricks! They do say, it's never too late to learn something new! Wish me luck!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was stumped for an idea ~ went looking in the freezer......

Decided it's a beautiful day to grill a couple burgers. So, the burger patties are thawing.

What to have with a burger? Macaroni Salad sounds good. I've got some eggs steaming and I'll boil just a little (less than a cup) of elbow macaroni. Then just chop a bunch of celery & make a dressing.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's an absolutely beautiful day ~ I went for a golf cart ride just because it was SO nice. 78° and beautiful blue skies!

The grilled burgers were perfect with the macaroni salad....HE didn't have any complaints at all.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_19_20

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_19_21

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made chicken wings roasted in the oven at 250 F covered with a bed of onions.6 hours total cook time.
So crispy, and sweetness of the onions and Mrs. Dash was great. I stoped using salt, and my oedema swelling of the legs went back to normal.
The pic was the last 1 HR of cooking on the rack.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_2427

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

It was a nice day for cooking out. That's not why I did it. I was planning to make this today anyway but I was happy it was so nice too. I didn't know scalloped potatoes was Charlies favorite kind of potato until I put these on that table today and he declared it to be the best yet recipe of them.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_1218
October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_1219
October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_1217

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks like road kill, but the stuffed peppers were great. Tina used the beef with leftover rice and beans from the other night. It was delicious........ The banana cake was great also. Sorry, but I sampled a piece as soon as it came out of the oven.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_2429
October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_2428

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a chicken stir fry tonight ~ I was hungry for bok choy & pea pods so they were a major part of my vegetable mix.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_21_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had two naked burgers with just a tsp. of ketchup to dip in the burgers as I ate them.
Tina had leftover stew. That didn't last long in her stomach. She had a piece of cake, and that didn't set well either.....
Another 29 minutes, and I will be 79 years old. Tina's making me lasagna for supper tomorrow.
The kids will all be here. I'm looking for the fun; but not the AGE.. LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

Age is just a number........

I hope you get a cake but NOT covered in candles ~ THAT could be dangerous!!!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

Cookin Lore

Happy Birthday Jimmy! Yes, it's just a number, and hopefully that number keeps going up! I made a burger last night, but just baked it in the oven with some squash, potato chunks beside it. I've made about 7 oz. burgers to do, rather than a meatloaf. I freeze them individually and I don't have leftovers. No idea of what to make today.

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of our neighbors is having shoulder replacement surgery tomorrow and her daughter is flying in to help her for a few days afterwards. Her daughter eats a plant based diet (helps with her health issues, I think) so I made a big batch of the Mediterranean Chicken Salad ~ sans the chicken for her, of course ~ and took it over today. Daughter gets in late tonight and will probably be happy to have some choices to nosh on.

So, no surprise, WE will be having the salad WITH the chicken for supper tonight. I noticed HE fixed himself an egg sandwich for his lunch so I'm thinking the salad that doesn't bother his gut is an excellent choice.

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday Jimmy. There is nothing wrong with birthdays. They are much better than the alternative. Smile

NormM

NormM

I keep telling myself that I should cook turkey a few more times during the year so I might find a way to do it better.  Once a year doesn't help.  The problem is getting the two different meats done at the two different temperatures at the same time.  I wondered about cutting it apart and cooking them in two ovens to two temperatures or maybe try butterflying. I never got around to doing something different to see if something would work or not and I sure was not going to experiment on the day everyone was coming over for dinner. I recently got an email from ThermoWorks about how to cook spatchcock turkey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4qdseGV8E and gave it a try.  It turned out very well with crispy skin, moist white and flavorful dark and I will be doing it that way next time it's my turn to host The Day.  I made broth with the spine and neck, used some of it to make stuffing and the rest along with turkey juices to make gravy.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_1220

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I should just use the same picture every time we have this salad.....it's always the same. LOL

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_22_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Hasselback potato, shoulder lamb chop, and sliced tomato. Stuff on the tomato is what I had in the fridge from the filling of the spanakopita I made a few days ago. It was in a small container, I tasted it, and figured it would work as a topping for the tomato. It’s spinach, feta, some oil and chopped dill and parsley. Yumm!"

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_22_17

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

Age is just a number........

I hope you get a cake but NOT covered in candles ~ THAT could be dangerous!!!  

LOL

Thank you .... I ate plenty of cake.

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:I keep telling myself that I should cook turkey a few more times during the year so I might find a way to do it better.  Once a year doesn't help.  The problem is getting the two different meats done at the two different temperatures at the same time.  I wondered about cutting it apart and cooking them in two ovens to two temperatures or maybe try butterflying. I never got around to doing something different to see if something would work or not and I sure was not going to experiment on the day everyone was coming over for dinner. I recently got an email from ThermoWorks about how to cook spatchcock turkey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4qdseGV8E and gave it a try.  It turned out very well with crispy skin, moist white and flavorful dark and I will be doing it that way next time it's my turn to host The Day.  I made broth with the spine and neck, used some of it to make stuffing and the rest along with turkey juices to make gravy.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_1220

I am not a big fan of making a whole turkey because of the mess and hassle of cleaning it all up. And I often wonder just what happens with all those turkeys that are left after a big holiday like thanksgiving. I saw last week, that frozen turkeys were in our grocery stores now for $.99/lb. What a deal for a family that has freezer space. Turkey has rarely been our Thanksgiving meal.40 years on the farm it was BBQ firepit time.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a plan to bake a spaghetti squash and serve it with a jar of marinara sauce I had allowed to defrost in the refrigerator for a couple days.

When I cut the spaghetti squash this afternoon I thought it smelled "off" ~ and some of the seeds that I normally scoop out before baking were sprouted and growing.....a sure sign of an over-ripe, old squash.

So, Plan B...........

The marinara was thawed and I didn't want to put it back in the freezer. So, I got some mini farfale (bow tie) pasta to boil and made a casserole of baked pasta with marinara and mozzarella.

It was pretty tasty ~ we don't often have pasta because HE prefers to avoid carb heavy meals.

But when it's a 'Plan B' you have to make what you can.

I made a tossed salad to go with the pasta and all-in-all, it was a pretty tasty supper.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_23_14

JanaAZ

Street tacos today with beef, pico, guac, lettuce sour cream and cheese. Yum

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 Img_9711

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Simple piece of rainbow trout with tartar sauce; lentil salad with red pepper, cucumber, parsley and dill. Also chick peas. More salad for tomorrow."

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_23_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed some fish this morning......salmon for HIM and grouper for me. Alas, this was my last piece of grouper, although there's still 4 servings of salmon left. But, I DON'T like salmon so one of these days I'll have to make the drive to my favorite fish market to get re-supplied. I know I only have a couple meals of shrimp left, as well, so it'll be a worthwhile trip.

HE wanted lima beans (big surprise) and I had corn that needed to be cooked so HE got his lima beans and I turned mine into succotash on my dinner plate. LOL

I was out of my homemade (not) tartare sauce so I went out and got some parsley, chives and dill to blitz up with some capers, dill relish & sweet relish before mixing it into some Hellmann's and half as much Miracle Whip. Now I've got a pint in the refrigerator and that should last a while.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_24_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stuffed pepper I had in the freezer from a couple of weeks ago. Two large fingerling potatoes, and a yummy yellow heirloom tomato topped with a bit of onion, parsley and feta. I find it’s not worth it for me to make a salad for myself, just like a lovely tomato."

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 3 10_24_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a Philly cheese steak that Tina picked up while coming back home from shopping. She had chicken soup; just the broth, with a carrot mashed in it. She mashes everything to make it easy for her stomach to digest it with no pain.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum