Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us! Tricks & Treats !!!

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is the last day for the kids to be here.

The only cooking I've done is to make a 'hard fried' egg & bacon on soft tortilla breakfast sandwich for my son-in-law.

I have no idea where we'll be going for lunch / supper.....it's their choice.

The guys were supposed to golf this morning but, of course, it started to rain half an hour before their tee time.....so that's cancelled.

So, nothing much going on..........

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina threw an eye round of beef in the oven. We will have baked potatoes with that.
Corn on the cobb and a garden salad with the last tomatoes from the farm stand.
We have some all green ones, and I was supposed to fry them, but they are too small.
Mini Roman mater's ...........
Beth.... Glad to hear the kids are there having a good time. God Bless.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's been busy around here ~ it's been such a treat having DD#1, son-in-law AND a childhood/school/bridesmaid friend here for a few days. My friend, Chris, will be here for a couple more days. She's one of those people you sit down to talk with and it's like you spoke to each other just the other day.....

I took her and her travel companion to the same place I took Andrea & Jim on Sunday ~ Ski Beach (about 20 minutes ~ restaurant sits on a large lake). The food is good and the scenery is a world away from Indiana & Ohio (except by Lake Erie).

But tonight HE was ready for food ~ he came up with the idea of a grilled burger. I came up with the idea of the air fried carrots & parsnips. Both were delicious!

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_03_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

And NOW for my exciting news!

When Andrea was here she gave me her Ipad and said, "Take a look at this house ~ what do you think?"

It was a lovely 3bd/2-1/2 bath new build with an amazing outdoor kitchen, dining area & inground pool.

I watched the entire video, making comments like, "Oh, you'll love a kitchen sink like that!  And a French Door Oven!  Woo Hoo!"

I sure was happy I didn't have any criticisms..........because she said, "We just bought it!"

WHAT?????

They bought a 'model home', fully furnished (no decorator needed ~ it's all done!).

She said they'll move in a year.  Since it's the model home for the builder that the builder will lease it from them for the year as they continue to sell the rest of the development and then in the fall of 2024 Andrea & Jim will move permanently to Florida.

Man, what a shock!  And a happy surprise.  The home is about 1-1/2 hour drive east of us ~ not ocean front but almost to Daytona Beach so they can be at the water within about 15 minutes drive.  I am beside myself happy that I'll be able to see them more often and be able to do things with her on a more regular basis.  Jim's parents have a winter home about 1/2 hour drive from this house so the kids will be able to keep an eye on all of us!  LOL

UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And NOW for my exciting news!

When Andrea was here she gave me her Ipad and said, "Take a look at this house ~ what do you think?"

It was a lovely 3bd/2-1/2 bath new build with an amazing outdoor kitchen, dining area & inground pool.

I watched the entire video, making comments like, "Oh, you'll love a kitchen sink like that!  And a French Door Oven!  Woo Hoo!"

I sure was happy I didn't have any criticisms..........because she said, "We just bought it!"

WHAT?????

They bought a 'model home', fully furnished (no decorator needed ~ it's all done!).

She said they'll move in a year.  Since it's the model home for the builder that the builder will lease it from them for the year as they continue to sell the rest of the development and then in the fall of 2024 Andrea & Jim will move permanently to Florida.

Man, what a shock!  And a happy surprise.  The home is about 1-1/2 hour drive east of us ~ not ocean front but almost to Daytona Beach so they can be at the water within about 15 minutes drive.  I am beside myself happy that I'll be able to see them more often and be able to do things with her on a more regular basis.  Jim's parents have a winter home about 1/2 hour drive from this house so they're able to keep an eye on all of us!  LOL
Wow, that is some great surprise Beth. It's great to be close to the kids. God bless them, and you and Dane. I remember a few years back, we talked about moving back home to PA. Well, DD was crying and nervous that we were going to leave her, and move. For her security, we decided not to move. A good decision. She is so relieved and happy. So are we.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made shrimp salad, and egg salad. I found a great way to prep the shrimp.
Instead of just chopping it into smaller pieces, I press the whole cooked shrimp with a heavy forks tines, to smash the shrimp into clusters. Then I knife cut it. The shrimp absorb the butter and sauce.
HERE is a pic I took to show the mashed shrimp.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_2422

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spent the day with my childhood friend, Chris, and her friend Jeanette ~ took them shopping and then to lunch. It's always such fun to sit and chat with an old friend who knows your history. We started a conversation as if we had been together last week.....

This morning HE asked if we could have meatloaf ~ ahhhh, no ~ a frozen meatloaf needs 2 days in the refrigerator to thaw. However, I do have some salisbury steak patties in the freezer ~ same mix but shaped differently. So, that's what got thawed and HE was a happy camper (because, of course, I made him his favorite lima beans.....).

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_04_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No hooray's, but it was ham, potato, and carrots in split pea soup that Tina made two day's ago. Then, a garden salad. I'm really gratefully Tina takes on tasks with her disabilities in her hands.
I have no room to complain.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Had a bowl of really good chili for lunch, so just a salad for dinner. Salad had a small can of mackerel in it, and topped with pine nuts."

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_04_19

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight.....

I drove Lyn to Orlando this morning as her sister was flying back to Ohio.

After dropping off her sister we went out to breakfast. That was all the meal I needed today ~ more like a brunch at 10 a.m.

So, HE made himself eggs and we were both happy to go on with our evening.

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is still having problems.....so I cooked for myself.

I had a pork shoulder steak that I braised in the oven with some onions as I was roasting a lovely butternut squash. I reheated the leftover vegetables from the other night just so I wouldn't end up tossing them.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_06_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina ate some shepherds pie. I made my burger with fried onions. I had that with bread on the side.
That was the good; so here comes the bad. My mind is tempted to have a single dip of butter pecan ice cream for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was hungry for pancakes this morning......I opened the refrigerator and saw the container of blueberries........Hmmmmm, Blueberry Pancakes!

Then, on the counter, I spied one of the peaches (California peaches) I had picked up when we went to Costco after we dropped Lyn's sister off at the airport in Orlando.

PEACH PANCAKES!

And they were just as good as I had hoped.

I should be ashamed of the fact that I use a mix ~ 'just add water' ~ but I'm not! It's easy, it's quick, I can make as much or little as I want, and they taste just fine.

Sorry, but I didn't think to take a picture ~ I was eating one batch while standing at the counter as I was baking off the second batch. Didn't even think about it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was hungry for pancakes this morning......I opened the refrigerator and saw the container of blueberries........Hmmmmm, Blueberry Pancakes!

Then, on the counter, I spied one of the peaches (California peaches) I had picked up when we went to Costco after we dropped Lyn's sister off at the airport in Orlando.

PEACH PANCAKES!

And they were just as good as I had hoped.

I should be ashamed of the fact that I use a mix ~ 'just add water' ~ but I'm not!  It's easy, it's quick, I can make as much or little as I want, and they taste just fine.

Sorry, but I didn't think to take a picture ~ I was eating one batch while standing at the counter as I was baking off the second batch.  Didn't even think about it.

Sounds great to me Beth. We use the just add water too. Sometimes we make batter from scratch; especially for waffles.
Especially yeast raised waffles. ...... Now I want pancakes! LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

As usual this morning I asked, "What do you want for supper?"

He said, "Chicken."

I asked, "Wings?" (half joking.....)

And he answered, "Yeah, why not? We'll see what happens. Spicy doesn't seem to bother me."

So, Buffalo Wings it was! I don't know if he said OK to the idea because HE was hungry for them or if he knew I really wanted them. But, that's what I made ~ in the air fry oven so they weren't fried in oil, just in the oven so the fat all comes off. They were SO good ~ I hope to heck he doesn't end up writhing in pain all night just so I could have a meal I was hungry for......

Added roasted cauliflower to the meal as long as there was room in the oven for another sheet pan.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_07_13

NormM

NormM

Charlie installed some lights under the cabinets so the counters would be better lit.  I made a Country-
Style rib, some home made corn chips and pan fried okra.  Strawberry Hill bakery had a coupon for BOGO so we had some of that too.
October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_1212[/url]
October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_1213October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_1214October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_1215

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie installed some lights under the cabinets so the counters would be better lit.  I made a Country-
Style rib, some home made corn chips and pan fried okra.  Strawberry Hill bakery had a coupon for BOGO so we had some of that too.

The additional light in the kitchen (and the basement) is a nice addition.

but my favorite part was reading your blog and your description of your ribs: "It was one big and thick hunk of meat with bones in it."

They sure do look tasty!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had half a head of cauliflower left over from last night's roasted vegetable and I wanted to get it used before it crawled to the back of the refrigerator and got lost......

So, I decided to make a Cauliflower, Pea & Bacon Salad for our supper. It's one my grandmother made often and we've always loved. I even like it as leftovers ~ WHAT???? Yup, leftover wilty salad.....it's got BACON in it! LOL

I also have a couple chicken cutlets thawed for tonight's supper. Not sure what I'm going to make yet but I'm sure I'll come up with an idea.

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was pleased with the supper I came up with.

Crispy chicken cutlets (OK, so that wasn't HIS favorite part....), plain spaghetti squash (added butter & s&p) and the favorite for both of us ~ Cauliflower, Pea, Bacon Salad. I don't know why I don't make it more often.

Maybe because THEN it won't be so 'special'......

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_08_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a great meal. I was given a child's portion. "No wonder I am so skinny!"

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_2423

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE came up with the suggestion of ham for supper. OK, so I just happened to have a ham steak in the freezer.

I had a head of broccoli to air fry and leftover butternut squash that I mashed with some butter to reheat in the oven with the broccoli.

The leftover (now wilted) cauliflower, pea & bacon salad was still tasty ~ especially since I had held back on some of the bacon to crisp up and add on top.

Only bad thing is my house STINKS from the air fried broccoli ~ worse than cauliflower, worse than wet dog ~ bad! LOL

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Ham10

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I was going to be with Lyn most of the afternoon so when I got up I threw together the Mediterranean Salad and took a couple chicken cutlets out of the freezer. When they were thawed (happens really quickly because they're so thin) I slathered them with the marinade of Hungarian Paprika, s&p, Greek oregano & olive oil. I just recovered them in the plastic wrap they were in and left them in the refrigerator all afternoon.

They cooked in about 5 minutes from start to finish ~ less time than it took to toast the slices of olive bread!

So it made a quick and satisfying supper.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_10_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made chocolate chip cookies this morning ( actually yesterday )'
For supper, she made pork tenderloin slices, and breaded them. We had mashed potatoes, and carrots, and a baked potato. Applesauce to complement the pork. So good!

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! Img_2424

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had offered to take friend, Marilyn, for a doctor's appointment so, early on this morning, I decided to just run to Publix for some fried chicken for our supper.

Easy Peasy!

And we were happy campers!

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! 10_11_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

I simmered some smoked pork hocks for about 6 or 7 hours today ~ I have a lovely bunch of fresh collards cleaned & ready to go tomorrow. I'll have to decide what to fix with them ~ probably some braised pork shoulder steak but I'm not completely decided on that.

This is the first of the fresh collards I've seen ~ they were nice and green & fresh in the produce aisle. My two hocks had a lot of meat on them so there won't be any shortage of that bit of smokey goodness mingling in among the pot.

Ohhhh ~ I'll make cornbread, too!

YUM! Now I'm excited!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum