Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us! Tricks & Treats !!!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:I simmered some smoked pork hocks for about 6 or 7 hours today ~ I have a lovely bunch of fresh collards cleaned & ready to go tomorrow.  I'll have to decide what to fix with them ~ probably some braised pork shoulder steak but I'm not completely decided on that.

This is the first of the fresh collards I've seen ~ they were nice and green & fresh in the produce aisle.  My two hocks had a lot of meat on them so there won't be any shortage of that bit of smokey goodness mingling in among the pot.

Ohhhh ~ I'll make cornbread, too!

YUM!   Now I'm excited!

Spoken like a true southern girl lol

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had Groton fish sticks, and green peas. Tina had leftover shepherds pie.
Dessert was chocolate chip cookies.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spent the day helping Lyn take everything out of her closet because she's having closet organizing inserts installed tomorrow. It's something she's been planning for the last 6 months or so but didn't get around to doing until now.

It didn't take us all that long to do ~ she's the 'Organization Queen'.....

So, we went out to lunch after we were finished. Ended up at a tiny little place: The Seafood Shack. We both had a Lobster Roll ~ her's was cold with mayonnaise & a bit of celery and mine was warmed in butter.....both in a grilled top split bun. It was absolutely delicious. The restaurant is a little itty bitty place ~ maybe 6 '4-top' and one table for 6 and 5 stools along a makeshift counter at the front window. No liquor or wine, just soft drinks and tea or water. But it was clean and the staff was very attentive. We'd definitely return!

So, I was especially happy that I had everything ready to cook for tonight's supper. I knew we'd be having leftover chicken and I had the collards cleaned and the ham hock stock ready to go. It was all really good. Oh, and I even remembered to make the small cast iron skillet of corn bread! The collards came out nice and tender with just a tiny bit of heat from the red pepper flakes I added. And, of course, each serving got a few drops of Texas Pete Pepper Sauce (which is made in North Carolina, by the way.....LOL)

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_12_19

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_12_20

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thursday night I had a burger with a dusting of taco seasoning.
I looked for the Montreal steak seasoning, but I think Tina hid it from me. Too much salt she said.
Oh Well.....
She had some macaroni with meat sauce. DD stopped after work, and had a bowl of honey nut
cheerios. She said "Just to hold me over till I get home and cook chicken, and feed Lenny!"

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. There’s a relatively new chef on the Canadian tv scene. Mary berg. She has a daily show on at 10 in the morning, I like her. She used simple methods and lots of veggies and herbs. I made this salmon and a “pickle” of onions, cucumber, tomatoes using lots of lemon, herbs etc. also roasted crinkle cut fingerling potatoes. There’s salmon leftover for tomorrow.

In the picture, the white chunks are feta. Very unusual to have with the salmon, but really good!'

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_12_21

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was just a long game of "I Spy!" in the refrigerator & freezer today. I knew the baby potatoes needed to be used, I had picked up some Brussels Sprouts without any plan and I had to come up with a meal that would work. The partial package of Smoked Beef Brats in the freezer seemed to fit the bill.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_13_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had popeyes fried shrimp Tina picked up while shopping.
Mashed potatoes, gravy, and coleslaw. Not a bad meal.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'Ladies' Lunch'......one of our Snowbirds returned a week ago so I planned to have lunch at her favorite Mexican Restaurant. She was thrilled.

We only had 5 of us (most of the snowbirds are still a few weeks away from arriving) but it was the nicest group of ladies to visit with and have lunch. Not a 'grumbler/complainer' at the table!

And no one has any problem with planning lunches on an 'every other week' basis. Every Saturday is just too much ~ and since I'm the one organizing the lunches I feel an obligation to go every time.....I know, dumb, but that's the way I feel most comfortable. It doesn't mean other, small groups can't go out on our 'odd day' or any other day of the week for that matter.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tomato salad, and vegetable beef soup today. Tina made it, and so we  are waiting for DD to get here from work to get some to take to her place.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salmon left over from last night turned into a yummy salad!"

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_14_17

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a small container of leftover sauerkraut in the refrigerator that made me hungry for pork & sauerkraut. I almost always have pork shoulder steaks in the freezer ~ all individually wrapped so I can thaw as much as we need. So, I thawed two and had them in the refrigerator as I looked in the pantry for another small can of sauerkraut.....which I had!

I prepped the sauerkraut by peeling and grating an apple (I think it tones down some of the sharpness of the canned sauerkraut without adding sugar, which I don't care for) and I let it sit, mixed together, to meld the flavors.

Then comes a call from neighbor Jim. He wanted to know if we'd like to go out this evenings.....so I suggested he come and have pork & sauerkraut with us instead. It took him a 'nano-second' to say, "YES!"....

So, I got another piece of pork shoulder steak out of the freezer and thawed it in the microwave for a few minutes on a 20% power ~ love the ability to thaw quickly. Then I decided I might need more sauerkraut so I sliced up some fresh cabbage to add to the canned sauerkraut. This is something I do regularly just to mellow out the canned kraut. It really extends the amount and makes it taste even better.

I seasoned and seared my pork shoulder ~ cut it into smaller pieces so there would be 'seconds' for those who wanted more meat. I layered the sauerkraut/cabbage with the seared meat in a casserole and it's been in the oven, low and slow, for a couple hours. The meat will be 'falling apart' tender and the vegetables will be soft and mellow.

I've got some potatoes to mash ~ adding 'stewed onions' (onions cooked slowly in butter, seasoned with s&p), cream cheese, sour cream & a bit of milk.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not surprised I didn't hear any complaints about tonight's supper choice.....Pork & Sauerkraut with Mashed Potatoes seemed to fit the bill.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_15_20

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

I've been kinda busy. Car died last week. It didn't seem possible, I bought a 4 year old Lincoln last January, and now it needed a new engine! It had about 40,000 miles on it when I bought it, so it was still all covered under warranty, but who would think that that would happen? Did a risotto with mushrooms tonight and fried what are probably the last of the Lake Erie perch for 2023. Time for son to put his boat in storage. Will send a picture. Thanks, Beth.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:I've been kinda busy.  Car died last week.  It didn't seem possible, I bought a 4 year old Lincoln last January, and now it needed a new engine!  It had about 40,000 miles on it when I bought it, so it was still all covered under warranty, but who would think that that would happen?  Did a risotto with mushrooms tonight and fried what are probably the last of the Lake Erie perch for 2023.  Time for son to put his boat in storage. Will send a picture.  Thanks, Beth.
Sad No Sorry to hear about the car Lor.
Thank God it fell under the warranty period.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina fried breaded chicken cutlets. Nice and crispy the way I like it.
Sweet potato and peas. The sweet potato was dry / old. Even loaded with butter, it was just too dry. Oh Well

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I've been kinda busy.  Car died last week.  It didn't seem possible, I bought a 4 year old Lincoln last January, and now it needed a new engine!  It had about 40,000 miles on it when I bought it, so it was still all covered under warranty, but who would think that that would happen?  Did a risotto with mushrooms tonight and fried what are probably the last of the Lake Erie perch for 2023.  Time for son to put his boat in storage. Will send a picture.  Thanks, Beth.

I know how difficult vehicle problems can be. I once had a Ford T-Bird that I really liked.....the driver's seat fit me like a glove. Just after it was 'out' of the warranty period it had multiple problems. The last one was a SECOND bad head gasket and the dealership couldn't guarantee a good fix. We ended up letting it go as a cheap trade in on a Ford Taurus....one of my least favorite automobiles ever.

By the way....I've not seen your perch picture.....maybe try sending it again.

Cookin Lore

I sent the picture of last night's dinner. Maybe I forgot to do it last night. The engine problem was still covered under the original warranty, but when I bought the car in Jan, I bought the extended warranty which also covers all electronics etc. So much in these newer cars is electronic and expensive,

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ still no pic......

?????

Must be lost ~ probably because I will be jealous you had fresh Lake Erie Perch again and I didn't....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a meal plan for tonight but got 'the call' from Jim before I started anything.....

So, we're going out to eat tonight!

He is such a nice neighbor.

Cookin Lore

Gremlins in my cell phone, because that's how I send the pictures. Will try again.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Meat Lady went to the butcher shoppe today. I'm having a fillet mignon and she is having eggplant meatballs. We had a caserole of butternut squash, and purple potatoes.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Gremlins in my cell phone, because that's how I send the pictures.  Will try again.

Lore ~ still nothing. Try turning your phone off for 15 seconds and then back on. Sometimes a reset is needed to get it to operate again...... Just a thought.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Did a risotto with mushrooms tonight and fried what are probably the last of the Lake Erie perch for 2023. Time for son to put his boat in storage."

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_16_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken Fried Steak with white (milk) gravy.

I cut the cubed steak into strips and marinated it in buttermilk/sambal mixture for a couple hours. It really helps to tenderize the tough beef. Breaded it in ap flour w/cornstarch and plenty of s&p, let it sit to allow the flour to absorb the moisture of the buttermilk ~ keeps the breading attached when you fry it ...... in BACON GREASE. Well, neutral oil flavored with a healthy dose of bacon grease.

I keep little containers of bacon fat in my freezer for just such occasions ~ not often, but perfect flavoring for some dishes.

Leftover mashed potatoes & collards.

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 10_17_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was cod in a wine butter sauce, and a veggie casserole for me.
Tina wanted Belgian waffles, so I made them for her. She is not a fan of fish.
I snapped some pics. LOL

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 Img_2425

October, 2023 ~ Fall is upon us!  Tricks & Treats !!! - Page 2 Img_2426

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum