Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?"

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up another package of the little grape tomatoes I like.  I didn't realize they were a product of Mexico ~ I thought they were grown more locally because they are usually so fresh tasting ~ and they taste like a real tomato!

One of the biggest things for me is the fact they are red all the way through ~ NO green icky jell and seeds here.  

They are a bit more expensive than the other grape tomatoes but I don't mind spending $4.89 on a package if I can enjoy the flavor.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_21_15

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_21_16

Today for lunch I made myself a tuna salad ~ so unlike HIS tuna salad.  (He uses a package of tuna and a spoonful of Miracle Whip and that's it.)  MY tuna salad has to have salad stuff in it ~ lots of chopped celery, a bit of chopped chives, hard cooked eggs and MW ~ it's what I was raised with.....Mom referred to it as mayonnaise so it was a shock to me when I grew up and found out it was 'Salad Dressing' and not 'Mayonnaise'......ah, but I digress.....

My plate got a small pile of shredded iceburg lettuce, halved grape tomatoes, seasoned with s&p, and all topped with a couple spoonfuls of my homemade tuna salad.

Normally I have it with Club Crackers ~ but someone finished off the box that was in the pantry and there were none to be found....

Oh, yeah, notice my 'new-to-me' Peppermate pepper grinder. I absolutely love it! Easy to adjust the grind size, can grind extra to use during cooking ~ easy to turn handle. No wonder I saw my man, Jacques, and my friend, Ina, using one in their kitchens!

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_21_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina put on a pot of beef stew..... Whoopy Doo!.....Looks like glue!
She can eat it till she's blue; I won't eat what I can't chew!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though I really don't care for leftovers I knew the tuna salad I made yesterday would be a 2-day lunch. But this morning I stopped at the store for Club Crackers because that's how I like to eat it. I did have some more of those little tomatoes, too. Soo good!

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_22_19

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I think with all the tomatoes coming to ripe, we will have BLT's or just plain salad.
One thing I would like to do, is slice and dry some for like soups. My ovens have gas pilot lights that are lit all the time, and that is what keeps the oven's temperature at 115 F degrees. Perfect for drying food.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had eggs............ ((( again )))

I didn't know what I was going to fix. I knew I needed to go to Sam's Club for gasoline so after I filled up the car I decided to walk the store for an idea. I got as far as the 'fresh' seafood counter where I saw King Crab Legs.

I ended up buying 3 legs ~ came to $52 for 1-1/2 lbs. ~ so $17 for my supper really wasn't all that expensive. It's not like I eat it every week or month. The other 2 legs I'll save for when Jim is around and I'll make it for the two of us. Dane doesn't like it so I fix salmon for him.

It was easy to put into a foil pack with a little water and heat in the toaster oven. It got hot while I was peeling my asparagus to steam in the microwave. I thought about a potato but decided I really didn't want one.

And now I'm full.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_23_16

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_23_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Actually, things changed. Tina made some kind of zucchini pie. August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 2363720550
We both did not like it. Two bites, and that was enough for me. DD tasted it, and she said it was sort of ok. I was still hungry, so I made myself a griddled cheese and tomato. I also had one of those cup of soup with noodles things. August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 1f63f

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Went to a late lunch with Lyn & a couple Toledo friends visiting for a couple weeks. So far I have no desire for any more food. Maybe if I get hungry later I'll have 'breakfast for supper' ~ the way DD#2 (NON-cooking daughter)......cold breakfast cereal! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had spaghetti with meat sauce, and chopped fresh tomatoes that were marinated
in olive oil, oregano, and minced fine garlic...... Then we had pastries that DD picked up
to celebrate Tina's birthday. Oh, the meal was tasty. Ask my mouth.....whew, that garlic was potent. Tina said I had Orangutang breath.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 Img_2416

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE finally got tired of eating eggs for his supper......

Today he asked if I could make Creamed Ham for supper......bechamel sauce with cubed ham. He has his over toast and I have mine over noodles. Super easy meal to make as I usually have the little 'ham steaks' in the freezer and they thaw in no time at all.

I had one serving of asparagus in the drawer that I cooked for him and I made baby peas for myself.

Easy Peasey supper.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_24_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a griddled cheese on Dave's 16 grain bread. A piece of fudge that Tina brought from the shore. She went to be with the kids. I wasn't that hungry today. issues with the stomach. I may have some burnt toast later. The charcoal makes me feel better.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since HE is the one with the digestive difficulties I just asked what HE wanted for supper. I didn't know if last night's Creamed Ham bothered him and he would go back to eggs for his meal or if he was good with another 'real' meal......

HE thought about it for a while and then said, "I'd like Creamed Chicken...."

Hmmmmm, I think I see a pattern starting. But, if that's what HE wants, that's what I'll make.

As for me, I might as well just slap it all on my behind and wrap myself in plastic wrap ~ that's where it's all gonna end up anyway! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Stuffed bell peppers are on the menu today. I was suggesting home made pizza, but Tina made the stuffed peppers .........

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was happy with supper. I've had enough 'creamed' anything to last me months.......

But if HE can eat a 'real meal' without being uncomfortable for 4 - 5 days I guess it's worth it.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_25_17

NormM

NormM

I thought I had posted here about an hour ago. I don't see it so I guess I didn't. I grilled some Chicken bulgogi August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 Img_1114
August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 Img_1113

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

I haven't made anything picture worthy for a few days.  Busy with other things. Going out tonight, meeting my niece whose father is in hospital. Lilly lives in Toronto, an hour and a half drive away (when traffic is not bad) Lilly is a professor at a local college, and is getting ready for the fall. Father has congestive heart failure and cancer in the ear. He's 85.

I'm meeting her at my son's brew pub.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:I haven't made anything picture worthy for a few days.  Busy with other things. Going out tonight, meeting my niece whose father is in hospital.  Lilly lives in Toronto, an hour and a half drive away (when traffic is not bad)  Lilly is a professor at a local college, and is getting ready for the fall.  Father has congestive heart failure and cancer in the ear.  He's 85.  

I'm meeting her at my son's brew pub.  

Lore, it's sad to hear that..... We will keep her dad in our prayers. Sad

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing sounded good to eat......

I thought about what I wanted, if I wanted to order 'take out', go out with a friend or skip the meal altogether. (Well, we know I'm NOT gonna skip......LOL)

I finally decided on a BLT Salad ~ Iceburg lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, bacon & eggs.

And it ended up being just what I was hungry for.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_26_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight in my building.  Our food truck dinner that we had planned was cancelled so we did a get-together just wit appetizers and desserts in another area of the building.  Fun, several people who don’t normally come to events showed up, and that’s good.  Very quickly it together by basically three of us.  Love the platter with the chocolate circles. I’m tired."[/url]

It's difficult when you put work into an event and it gets cancelled. But good for you for throwing together another wonderful get together for your neighbors.

Creative plating on a lot of what you had!

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE apparently wants to 'live-on-the-wild-side' and asked to have the Publix fried chicken and lima beans. It's easy for me, that's for sure! I have an ear of corn I'm going to add to my plate.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We're sitting here like a monkey with no teeth; trying to open and eat a peanut in it's shell. Not a clue. Yesterday I baked chicken wings nice and crispy, and seasoned with garlic granules, and salt and pepper. Eating them, was like Chevy Chase eating that first bite of turkey in the Christmas story movie. Crispy & crunchy.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 Img_2417

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The closest Publix didn't have any fried chicken in the deli case ~ guy in the back said he just started it so it would be 25-30 minutes. Nope ~ not gonna wander around that long. It's just 2 minutes down to the Winn Dixie........

they had chicken available ~ just short a wing so he gave me a piece that neither of us could identify.....I think it was kind of a back piece ~ no thigh attached. LOL

When I got home I put the chicken on a rack in the toaster oven. I didn't realize I had it set for 450° so it did get a bit dark in the 10 minutes I had it in there to let the fat drain off. It's a pretty good system. It came out WELL DONE (Jimmy, you'd of loved it!) and super crispy.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_27_13

JanaAZ

I have had a tough time finding pickling cucumbers and knew they’d have them in the Asian market. So I was in Phoenix last week and picked some up. I still had bread and butter pickles in the fridge so I made 4 jars of dills…two slices and 2 spears. They’re ready now and so good

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 Img_9413

Cookin Lore

THey look great. Sometimes I miss doing all the pickling etc. that I used to do. But, not very much!

bethk and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had an BLT WITH CHEESE AND SALAMI on Dave's 16 grain bread. Tina had a pizza made on a whole wheat pita bread.

bethk likes this post

100August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 Empty Re: August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight: Lamb chops, roasted baby potatoes and grape tomatoes and lettuce salad tonight. Yumm."

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 4 08_27_14

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum