Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1 July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:58 am

bethk

Admin
I'm not sure what meal I'll make tonight. I'd like to grill something but I'm pretty sure it'll be raining a little later.......and everyone knows I don't like to stand in the rain for any meal! I have to go to the store for some piecrusts (yes, I BUY it!) because Tommy (next door neighbor) just gave me a bunch of Georgia peaches his brother brought from there. He knows if he gives me a pile of peaches I'll make him a big peach pie.

So, maybe I should get on my way to the store. Maybe inspiration will strike while I'm there.

2 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Anyhooo! ....we are having the london broil, and corn and taters today.
Tina made a lemon chiffon pie with graham cracker crust.

It's 82 F outside, and supposed to reach 90. It hit 88 yesterday but lower humidity...... we shall see.

3 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Niagara Visitor

Canada Day today....................... stinkin' hot here, I think 93 F!  I'm staying in, it's too hot to go see any fireworks outside.  We have a great observation deck/room at the top of our building from where I'll be able to see all around, as far as Niagara Falls!  And never break a sweat. LOL

I have two beef ribs defrosting, they will go into the oven tonight.

4 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm

bethk

Admin
I just got back from the grocery store. They had some thin sliced bottom round steak ~ a little piece for $3. It's just the perfect size for me to slice across the grain and have a beef stir fry. I knew I had a broccoli crown and a package of mushrooms so I'll make beef with broccoli and mushrooms over rice for my supper tonight (and another night, I'm sure......)

5 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 pm

bethk

Admin
I wish I had the ability to make stir fry for one.....or two. I'd be happy if I made enough for just two of us. But when I make stir fry it ends up being enough for 6. ((sigh))

6 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Pics of the supper; served "Cowboy Style!"

7 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm

bethk

Admin
Even without my horse, I'd love to share that with you and Ms. T !!!!

8 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:57 am

Bugster2

It has been cool here. Somewhere between 75 and 80. Been packing all day. I bought some Trader Joe's mac & cheese and ate about 2 T of it and then sat on the couch and went to sleep. 10 minutes later, the reflux hit and I almost lost it. I was even elevated and I still had trouble.
Tomorrow is going to be even crazier. Got to buy more boxes, drop off the cable equipment, go to the bank, go to the store for ice and more packing. Joe wants us signed, sealed, delivered when the movers show up on Tuesday. We have walls of boxes. The cats are having a great time getting on the highest boxes: higher is better. I am leaving early Tuesday for the house so I can clean the fridge and put in the cold food. Poor joe is left with the final cleaning. We are leaving the new owner with dirty carpet. We got it cleaned a month ago but with all the packing and furniture moving it is really dirty. Not much we can do about it. She will be ripping it out anyway.

9 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:51 pm

bethk

Admin
No supper tonight.....

I had leftover stir fry for lunch at about 2:00 and that's all I want.

I've been baking all day ~ pretty stupid when it's in the mid 90's, but I had to make peach pie for neighbor Tommy (posted in baking thread) and since I was using the last of his lemons from last growing season to keep the peaches from browning, I zested it and used the zest to make some lemon scones to wrap individually and stash in the freezer. I like a glaze on them so I place them on a rack over my sink and drizzle away, knowing when they are dry and wrapped all I'll have to do is put some soapy water in the sink and wash it down.

10 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Niagara Visitor

Made a potato salad for myself and my 85 year old uncle who is suffering from 3 broken ribs right now.  Long story, but he tripped fell and the ribs are the result............. He is normally very active, had a flight booked to Germany for Wednesday, but that's obviously not happening now.  I will have some scallops stir fried with onions to go with that potato salad.

11 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Bugster2

We are going to get hit with a 25 degree increase in the temperature out here on Friday. It is predicted to be 111 in the valley, 108 in Temecula. Might even hit 90 at the beaches.
Packing is dangerous. I was in Katie's shed packing up loose ends. She is incapable of doing it herself. I was reaching for some baskets when 3 heavy mirrors that were leaning against the wall fell on me throwing me to the ground and pinning me underneath. Nice. No broken bones but have a few bruises.
Del Taco tonight.

12 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 pm

NormM

I cooked some ribs in the smoker today

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

13 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina had a slice of pizza, and she got me an eggplant Parm Sub.
I ate the eggplant and threw the sub roll to the ground hog in the back yard.
It was huge, and proportionally oversized for the eggplant.

I'll show the picture I took....

Haaaa! See the cheese? That was the limit. Cheese just a sliver on the top.

14 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 am

bethk

Admin
Norm, your ribs look just like an ad for the Traeger Grill ~ I happened on their infomercial on TV this morning! They got nothin' on you!

Jimmy, we've all become spoiled getting the 'proper' amount of sandwich fixins by cooking for ourselves for all these years. Now, when we just don't feel like putting all that effort into EVERY day cooking, we are discovering what the non-cooks have become accustomed to. It's a sad thing....a sad state of affairs in deed! LOL

15 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 am

NormM

Thanks Beth. I went to a new pizza place the other day called Blaze Pizza. The pizza only comes in one size...small. Too small if you are hungry. It is pressed in a machine and comes out flatter than any other places's thin crust pizza. I asked for a sausage pizza. They put about 8 or 9 little round daubs of sausage on it. You probably got a piece of sausage every three bites. I predict they won't be in business very long unless they get lots and lots of non-cooks eating there. Then again, you never know. Lots of places that aren't very good stay in business. But Charlie told me the Dominos nearby is now closed.

16 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Thanks Beth. I went to a new pizza place the other day called Blaze Pizza.  The pizza only comes in one size...small.  Too small if you are hungry. It is pressed in a machine and comes out flatter than any other places's thin crust pizza.  I asked for a sausage pizza.  They put about 8 or 9 little round daubs of sausage on it. You probably got a piece of sausage every three bites.  I predict they won't be in business very long unless they get lots and lots of non-cooks eating there.  Then again, you never know. Lots of places that aren't very good stay in business.  But Charlie told me the Dominos nearby is now closed.

Norm, we used to have a place that squeezed the dough with a hydraulic press. "The Pizza Clown" was the name of the place. clown
I called it "Ben Franklin's Printing Press Pizza"....
The pizza's were like 14" inches in diameter, and really good. The crust center, was crisp and not burned, and the rim crust was medium in thickness. A great handle which was something I like.
They went out of business in one year.

17 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:12 pm

NormM

That sounds like the same kind of press they used. The dough was so thin that it had a rim to give it some kind of support... maybe to hold no the ingredients too. This pizza was about 8 or 9 inches across and it was not cooked until crisp.

Years ago in Junction City, a new pizza joint advertised two pizzas for the price of one. Everybody in town went there... once. The toppings were so skimpy that even if they had put them all on one pizza, it would not have been anything special. They didn't last 6 months.

18 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:16 pm

NormM

Happy 4th everyone

Last edited by NormM on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

19 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Crybaby

We're having leftovers tonight. I made braised short ribs the other day and we're still enjoying them. They were really expensive when I saw them at the store but they were SO good looking and big that I didn’t give a darn. Well, initially I did and put them down. Got about 20 feet away and thought, hell, we’re worth it and we’ll probably get three days or more out of that meal so I went back and picked up two packages – that was just under 6 lbs. I forgot to get another bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon to use when braising them (in addition to some ruby port) so I had to sacrifice the nice bottle of Pinot Noir I’d picked up to drink when I served them. God, they came out so good.

It’s been hot here, too, as you might’ve guessed, so I cooked them on top of the stove instead of in the oven. With my stovetop fan that actually is vented outside now, and sucks like a dream, the kitchen stayed a lot cooler than running the oven at 350F for three hours. Brian went outside to water something and said he loved that fan, as the whole neighborhood now smells whatever we cook. He’s a trip!

Today he got his friend Pete to come over by bribing him with a braised short rib and gravy for his dinner. Pete doesn’t like to lose his on the street parking place and we can’t blame him. Commuters park near their house (not far from the Central Business District in an area called Lower Garden District) and either walk to work from there or hop on the bus for the trip. It makes it difficult as like our neighborhood, it’s an old neighborhood built prior to cars so you park on the street. And there’s a big neutral ground there (a median) so there’s only parking on the one side of his street, further limiting the places available. But he came out for the short rib dinner to take home, as short ribs and brisket are two of his favorites. I made brisket a while back and Brian took Pete a decent amount -- he told Brian he got three dinners out of it and a breakfast brisket biscuit, too.

20 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Crybaby

Jimmy, Tina must be feeling a lot better lately as she looks absolutely wonderful. Please tell her how much younger she looks -- and pretty as a lark, too!

21 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 pm

bethk

Admin
OMG ~ So good to have you back, Michelle! Your short ribs are one of my favorites, too.

No cooking for me tonight. I was facing yet another meal of that stupid beef stir fry (do you get the idea that ONE meal of leftovers is all I can take?) and I just couldn't do it. I called Lyn and asked if they were going out by chance. She said Bill had to wait at the house for some Direct TV or Comcast guy (anytime between 3:00 - 7:00 pm.) so she gladly volunteered to come over and get me (since I don't have a car right now) and we'd go out to get something. She had had it "Up-To-HERE" with dear Bill so I don't think it was a huge inconvenience for her ~ LOL.

We ended up going to Ruby Tuesday ~ she had ribs and shrimp and I had steak and shrimp and we just sat and chatted and enjoyed our meal. We even both got a baked potato and that NEVER happens. I guess we were in matching moods.

22 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, Tina must be feeling a lot better lately as she looks absolutely wonderful. Please tell her how much younger she looks -- and pretty as a lark, too!

Thanks Tina said, and added, chubby as a whale! ( Hey! she said it! )

23 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Sloppy Joe's ..... on hot dog bun. I think of it as a long burger bun! They were made by Hostess and were flat. I figured I would use them up.

24 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:06 am

bethk

Admin
Personally, I LIKE sloppy joes on a hot dog bun.....

and even more when there's a grilled hot dog under there! LOL

25 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am

Niagara Visitor

Happy Fourth of July! From your neighbour to the north!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum