Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?"

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

JanaAZ

I’ve been on a vegetarian kick lately. Today I made a tomato pie that’s filled with 4 kinds of cheese, heirloom tomatoes and lots of herbs.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_9411
August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_9410

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

JanaAZ

I like to bring meals to a friend that fosters so many kids. She took in 2 new ones the other day….one that’s a few months old with one lung and on oxygen since the mom was on fentanyl during her pregnancy. So I like to make things a little easier for her and drop off dinners some times.

So today I made something sort of unusual. I made sloppy joes and topped with cheese and tater tots. I saved a small pan for us and I’m really glad I did. It was really good….different than on a bun.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_8611

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a roast beef ( left over from yesterday's eye round ) lathered with mayo on a slice of rye
seeded bread. Oreo cookies for dessert. They were damp, because the last one to use / eat them, failed to close the container properly. Tina had leftover taco's.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't cook ......  again.

It's been a tough weekend ~ Lyn's husband, Bill, passed away at the hospital last night.

It's been a pretty horrible week+ since he was admitted into the ICU ~ they never did determine WHAT he was dying from, just that they couldn't find what to do to cure him.

Finally just said it must have been 'Covid Lung' disease since that's where the most concentrated failure was and the symptoms (multiple ones) started after he had Covid last fall that he contracted when they were on or coming back from a cruise in Europe.

Tonight Lyn & Bill's 'adopted' Chinese family ~ Deng & Song ~ wanted to take all of us out to eat in memory of all the good times we all had when Bill was with us.  It was lovely for all of us.

I had purchased lottery tickets for everyone ~ I said "Bill wanted you all to have a chance at 1-1/2 $BILLION DOLLARS!"

When he was in the hospital and the total was close to the $billion the first time I told him I had purchased a ticket for him and I was sure he would want to split it with me if it won.  He shook his head 'No" and held up one finger.  Lyn said, "Oh, he wants you to have a $million if it wins"

Again, he shook his head 'No' and again held up one finger.

I looked at him and I asked, "Are you saying you only want to give me ONE DOLLAR if the ticket wins almost a Billion Dollars?"

He smiled and shook his head, 'yes'........

By the way ~ he knew the ticket cost me $2.00......

Hahahahahaha!

Imelda HL likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I didn't cook ......  again.

It's been a tough weekend ~ Lyn's husband, Bill, passed away at the hospital last night.

It's been a pretty horrible week+ since he was admitted into the ICU ~ they never did determine WHAT he was dying from, just that they couldn't find what to do to cure him.

Finally just said it must have been 'Covid Lung' disease since that's where the most concentrated failure was and the symptoms (multiple ones) started after he had Covid last fall that he contracted when they were on or coming back from a cruise in Europe.

Tonight Lyn & Bill's 'adopted' Chinese family ~ Deng & Song ~ wanted to take all of us out to eat in memory of all the good times we all had when Bill was with us.  It was lovely for all of us.

I had purchased lottery tickets for everyone ~ I said "Bill wanted you all to have a chance at 1-1/2 $BILLION DOLLARS!"

When he was in the hospital and the total was close to the $billion the first time I told him I had purchased a ticket for him and I was sure he would want to split it with me if it won.  He shook his head 'No" and held up one finger.  Lyn said, "Oh, he wants you to have a $million if it wins"

Again, he shook his head 'No' and again held up one finger.

I looked at him and I asked, "Are you saying you only want to give me ONE DOLLAR if the ticket wins almost a Billion Dollars?"

He smiled and shook his head, 'yes'........

By the way ~ he knew the ticket cost me $2.00......

Hahahahahaha!

So sorry to hear that Beth. God take him into his arms, and give Lyn the strength to take care of her troubles.
Tina was in the county her uncle was in to probate the will. Our son drove her there, but she still had to climb stars and ramps to get the the office . So sad, but she just prayed the lord would just give her strength.
She made out fine, and she is sleeping & with her Quinine water just in case she cramps up.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I had chicken breast strips, red pepper, mushrooms, new baby potatoes, onion all chopped, marinated and ready to put on skewers to do on my indoor grill. And then I got lazy. Turned on the oven, threw it in a pan, and voila! Sheet pan dinner!
Yumm!"

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 08_08_15

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 08_08_16

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far.. .. .. no clues for supper? Tina went to pick up son Jimmy, and take him to get his car at the lube center. She did make a pan of brownies, but nothing pointing to a savory supper.
I made pancakes and pork sausages, and I got side tracked and forgot to eat the sausages.
Nice Huh? hahahahaha....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I made pancakes and pork sausages, and I got side tracked and forgot to eat the sausages.
Nice Huh? hahahahaha....  

Lack of short term memory is MY problem, too, Jimmy! It's AWFUL !!! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a small piece of sirloin that I had sliced for stir fry in the freezer. I let it thaw and added some marinade that I threw together of a little of this and a little of that. Just added onions, carrots (for the color....) and peapods. Made some rice in the microwave and that was supper.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 08_09_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a fork full of tuna and spaghetti. and a piece of brownie Tina made. Oh! wait a second; let me check my reminder notebook ........ Oh! ....and three bruschetta on crusty Italian bread.
See ?? ..... I need a daily planner to keep me on track. It helps me when there is a lot of stuff I need to remember or tell someone.

BTW..... I made a new thread a while ago about "Remember?" in "Family and Friends"
I can remember a lot from years ago with accuracy, but not short turn items.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... Sittin here hungry and wishing for something crunchy like potato chips, but not what I really am thinking of. BINGO! I hit the ball in the cup for sure;
Potato Pancakes was what I needed. Only, the box Straits company Kosher mix is what I wanted, but It wasn't crispy. I followed the beat the large egg, add the cup of water and the mix, and let it stand for 15 minutes before shallow oil frying. SOoooo! I grabbed a medium potato; peeled it, and shredded it, and added it to the box mix. OMG!! .... It was perfect. Oh, those crispy edges were so good. Now I want something sweet, like ice cream, or ginger snaps with a cup of tea.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_2412

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had leftover Mediterranean Salad so we had it with chicken tonight. I made some toast from the yummy olive bread I get at Fresh Market.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 08_10_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It Was Burger day for us. Tina had a plain no bun burger pan fried and a corn on the cobb. I had a cheese burger on a bun with tomato; onion, and cheese, lathered with mayo. Plus, another cheese burger naked, and a yellow corn on the cobb; buttered and seasoned with Old Bay seasoning.
Now...... L00King for dessert of something ???/ gotta look. <()>  <()>
Found it. ......, A chocolate ice cream sandwich.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Still craving vegetarian meals so today we had cucumber soup with a tomato cucumber relish. I haven’t had this in a while and I forgot. How delicious it was. August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_8612

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a couple burger patties ~ HIS is a 6 oz., 1" thick one with cheese and mine is a 3 oz., 1/2" thick size.  I just don't care for a really thick burger patty.....I guess I'm really trying to imitate the 'smash burgers' I get at the fast food restaurants.

I had planned to make some vegetables to go with supper but HE said a burger and chips was all he wanted so, being the dutiful wife I am, (and not one to do extra work if I don't have to)......I went along with HIS plan.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 08_11_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is a picture of the zucchini stew, as I call it.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_2413

I fount some scallops in the fridge; so I threw a few of them in the sauce to cook. It was good.
I guess it's time for the "Zucchini Curse!" Zucchini is starting to dominate the crisper drawer in the fridge and the counter. affraid

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to play 'I-Spy' in the freezer.....had NO idea what I wanted to fix for supper.

First thing I saw was Pork Shoulder Steaks....thawed two and then filled out the menu: a package of fresh green beans (seasoned with Penzey seasoning) and some of the itty bitty baby potatoes ~ skillet roasted and utterly delicious!

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 08_12_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Here is a picture of the roulades Tina made. Good, but a lot of salty taste.
Dessert will be diuretics tomorrow.
Had the first fresh from Tina's garden in the pots tomatoes today. I picked it, and lightly salted it as I just took random bites. They were tasty, but the skin was a little tough. I had mine with noodles and butter.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_2414

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is a picture of the zucchini stew, as I call it.

I fount some scallops in the fridge; so I threw a few of them in the sauce to cook.  It was good.
I guess it's time for the "Zucchini Curse!" Zucchini is starting to dominate the crisper drawer in the fridge and the counter.  affraid  

Wish we lived closer. Zucchini’s are at least $1.49 a lb here. I remember the time when you had to pay someone to take your zucchini not any more

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JanaAZ wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is a picture of the zucchini stew, as I call it.

I fount some scallops in the fridge; so I threw a few of them in the sauce to cook.  It was good.
I guess it's time for the "Zucchini Curse!" Zucchini is starting to dominate the crisper drawer in the fridge and the counter.  affraid  

Wish we lived closer. Zucchini’s are at least $1.49 a lb here. I remember the time when you had to pay someone to take your zucchini not any more

Yeah!..... and then comes the zucchini breads, and the stuffed zucchini...... followed with the tomatoes, where half are mushy and stinky.
And the neighbors keep giving you more tomatoes. No

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is back to eating eggs again.....and he cooks them himself.

I thought about cooking up a meal for myself but changed my mind and decided to call in an order for a Sesame Chicken Salad from the closest country club. I like it because they add things I don't usually have in my pantry & refrigerator: jicama and fresh fried wonton strips. The greens mix is NOT the iceburg that's in my refrigerator (because it's what HE likes) but an nice assortment of cool & fresh spring mix. They add some grilled chicken, mandarin oranges and a sesame ginger dressing on the side.

I considered snapping a picture of it but changed my mind when I accidentally dropped it as I got out of the car ~ kind of messed up the lovely presentation it probably was......

LOL

(It still tasted just fine!)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:HE is back to eating eggs again.....and he cooks them himself.

I thought about cooking up a meal for myself but changed my mind and decided to call in an order for a Sesame Chicken Salad from the closest country club.  I like it because they add things I don't usually have in my pantry & refrigerator:  jicama and fresh fried wonton strips.  The greens mix is NOT the iceburg that's in my refrigerator (because it's what HE likes) but an nice assortment of cool & fresh spring mix.  They add some grilled chicken, mandarin oranges and a sesame ginger dressing on the side.

I considered snapping a picture of it but changed my mind when I accidentally dropped it as I got out of the car ~ kind of messed up the lovely presentation it probably was......

LOL

(It still tasted just fine!)
Oh!...... what a bummer

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a big batch of chicken salad this afternoon. I was planning on having it for my supper when HE makes his egg supper.

But then Lyn called and asked if I'd meet her for supper........no pause required......Of course!

Song has returned for the week and a lovely meal with the two of them is a perfect offer.

Lyn is doing well, has her moments, but she's the strongest woman I know and she'll get through this period and begin to create her 'new normal', although it's not what she had planned for. But she'll manage to be fine in the end.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had lunch / brunch of fried meatballs Tina picked up in Netcong at an Italian restaurant;
with a slice of zucchini pizza. Tonight for supper, she wants scrambled eggs and pepper jack cheese
I want a nice sandagueech of fried bell peppers and onions; shingled with shaved thin, sharp, ( Smelly @$$ ) August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 1430007125 provolone cheese.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Continuing with our vegetarian kick, today we had mushroom paprikash on homemade pappardelle. I don’t know why we’ve been craving vegetarian stuff so much. Next week is a giant steak.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 2 Img_8613

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum