Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?"

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

JanaAZ

Steve’s favorite meal is veal and it’s really hard to get up here. We were in Phx last week and the store had it so he was happy boy that he had his veal scaloppini it was over mashed potatoes. He was in heaven.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 Img_9414

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane picked Jim up at the airport today ~ he spent a few days in his hometown of Pittsburgh for a 'family birthday'. So, of course, he wanted to go out for supper.

We went to a local place about a mile from the house. They have a couple salads I really like. So I was happy with my meal.

Jim ended up ordering a salad and complained ~ which is his usual. He has a couple favorite meals but if he orders something else he always complains about one thing or another. But he'll get over it.

Dane got a baked haddock that was a bit rich ~ it's coated in Ritz cracker crumbs and has a lot of butter when they bake it. But he'll go back on to eggs tomorrow and be fine. He liked the taste but he could tell it was probably a little too much fat for his delicate system. (( sigh ))

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

103August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 Empty Re: August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper ....... haaaaaa, was a burger from Wendy's and a small fries.
Tina had nothing. Earlier though, she had a jar of baby food, and some mashed potatoes.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

No cooking yesterday. I took a friend for an afternoon medical appt. an hour's drive away, so I had a reuben sandwich for a late lunch, and "grazed" at night. two left over lamb chops, some grape tomatoes and that's it.

No cooking today either, going to former neighbours for dinner. I'm sure it will be something fabulous!

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is back on eggs.....last night's baked haddock fish dish did him in.

But he'll be fine soon.

I thawed out a pork shoulder steak ~ saw a recipe to use soy sauce in the braising liquid.  I should have thought and NOT salted the meat but I always pound it a bit with some s&p before letting it rest (thawed) in the refrigerator.  So, it was a bit salty but not bad.  I also tried a 'creamed potato' recipe ~ grated potato slowly simmered in butter & milk.  Eh.....nothing I'd make again.  So I guess it's good that I try these things out before committing them to a meal for company.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 08_29_15

The hurricane looks like it's going to come on shore from the Gulf about an hour north of us.  We'll get some wind and rain but doesn't look like more than a mild tropical storm right now.....but that could change.  

Stay tuned for further updates!

LOL

( We're fine ~ we're not worried about any problems at all. )

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Chinese boneless spareribs with plum sauce and yellow rice. Very tasty..
Now we are looking for dessert .......

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Yesterday I asked Charlie if he wanted to go out to lunch today. He wasn't sure he could get away at that time so I planned supper for today. I was going to make Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas and mac N cheese. I shopped at Walmart for the stuff I didn't already have. I tried Ina Garten's Mac N Cheese but they didn't have any Gruyere so I got a generic Swiss cheese. It used two-to-one ratio of Swiss and sharp cheddar. After I made the cheese sauce I tasted it and didn't much like it. I doubled the amount of Cheddar and baked it. While it was in the oven Charlie said he could go to dinner with me so when it came out we went to a deli nearby. The other stuff will get made tomorrow and the Mac n cheese came out a lot better than I thought it would. Charlie liked it too and he is a Kraft fan.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Yesterday I asked Charlie if he wanted to go out to lunch today.  He wasn't sure he could get away at that time so I planned supper for today.  I was going to make Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas and mac N cheese.  I shopped at Walmart for the stuff I didn't already have.  I tried Ina Garten's Mac N Cheese but they didn't have any Gruyere so I got a generic Swiss cheese. It used two-to-one ratio of Swiss and sharp cheddar. After I made the cheese sauce I tasted it and didn't much like it. I doubled the amount of Cheddar and baked it.  While it was in the oven Charlie said he could go to dinner with me so when it came out we went to a deli nearby.  The other stuff will get made tomorrow and the Mac n cheese came out a lot better than I thought it would. Charlie liked it too and he is a Kraft fan.

All my kids and grand kids are Kraft likers; unless someone else makes it for them.

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is eating eggs..........again..........

So, I went to the pantry to play "I Spy"........first thing I saw (that didn't require a lot of cooking effort) was a small can of sauerkraut.

Hot Dogs! With yellow mustard, chopped onion & warmed sauerkraut.

And that's why I have individually wrapped (from an open package) hot dogs in the freezer. I can just take out what ever amount I want. Same for the buns ~ they stay fresh and don't get freezer burned when they are all wrapped in their own little coat of plastic wrap.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 08_30_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

The hurricane, for us, was little to nothing......we've had worse during summer thunderstorms. But I don't regret the prep we did. You never know when that huge storm will wobble a bit over the Gulf of Mexico and come blowing right at us.

Fortunately, The Villages is smack dab in the middle of the state. By the time the winds get to us, whether from the east or west or south......it's not really horrible. Since we've lived here we've had just one really strong, long & drawn out hurricane that just seemed to stay on top of us for a couple days. There was quite a bit of clean up after that one.

I wanted to run to the store today to pick up a couple things HE wanted ~ imagine my surprise when I pulled into the WalMart parking lot and discovered they were closed~someone made the decision to error on the 'safe side' and allow all their employees to stay home with their families when no one knew what the storm would bring.

By tomorrow the neighborhood pools will be open and everything will be back to normal.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

111August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 Empty Re: August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:41 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The hurricane, for us, was little to nothing......we've had worse during summer thunderstorms.  But I don't regret the prep we did.  You never know when that huge storm will wobble a bit over the Gulf of Mexico and come blowing right at us.

Fortunately, The Villages is smack dab in the middle of the state.  By the time the winds get to us, whether from the east or west or south......it's not really horrible.  Since we've lived here we've had just one really strong, long & drawn out hurricane that just seemed to stay on top of us for a couple days.  There was quite a bit of clean up after that one.

I wanted to run to the store today to pick up a couple things HE wanted ~ imagine my surprise when I pulled into the WalMart parking lot and discovered they were closed~someone made the decision to error on the 'safe side' and allow all their employees to stay home with their families when no one knew what the storm would bring.  

By tomorrow the neighborhood pools will be open and everything will be back to normal.

Maybe since HE is cooking a lot of eggs lately, you should build a chicken coupe and pick up a few layers so He could have fresh eggs. Laughing

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I felt like having a salad for supper.....a grilled chicken salad.

I chopped some iceburg lettuce, slivered off some cabbage, grated some carrot, sliced celery and thinly sliced some onion. I toasted some chopped pecans and let them cool. My salad dressing was a 'plop' of Hellmann's, a splash of my cider vinegar syrup, a pinch of dry mustard, a few drops of Worchestershire sauce and a couple shakes from the hot sauce and a good grating of fresh black pepper.....mixed up to drizzle over my salad.

I had a couple boneless/skinless chicken thighs (not enough for a dinner for 2 of us) that I thawed. I trimmed them of all the fat & icky stuff and cut it into random bite size pieces. I seasoned with some steak seasoning from the pantry & freshly ground black pepper, a bit of salt. I heated a small skillet and added some olive oil and a tiny bit of butter and plopped the chicken in ~ didn't move it except to be sure it was in one layer. When it looked like it was lightly brown I turned the pieces and repeated. When it was cooked I just turned it off and let it sit to come to room temperature (well, just still a bit warm) to add to my salad.

Turned out really tasty ~ I really like adding nuts to my dinner salads. I feel like I'm getting more protein than with just a little bit of chicken.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 08_31_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lake Erie Bass, accidentally blackened but it was good. Veggies grilled on my Tfal indoor grill, maybe for the last time. I’ve had if for about 4 years and used it a lot. But, tonight’s veggies of onion, yellow pepper, zucchini and mushrooms had to be done at three different times. The new oven that I have, with the air fry feature would have had all of them done at one time in about twelve minutes. We are told here in Canada always to try to serve electricity. And people tell me that they rarely use their ovens, but which uses more power? I’ll admit, I don’t care any more. I’m gonna do what’s right for me. I love my oven!"

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" - Page 5 08_31_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

At the end of this day.... and the end of the month, supper was an open faced BLT for Tina. She was at the uncles house all day cleaning and getting ready for listing it on the market.
So she ate at a diner. I had a cup of soup, and a bowl of honey nut cheerio's.
I just made breakfast for us for tomorrow. Peppers and eggs and onions; with little Roma mini tomatoes.
Then topped with pinches of yellow Land O Lakes cheese, and broiled to melt the cheese.

Well...... by by August,wherever you were.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK...... Time to change the month..... I did it already.

https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1681-september-2023-what-s-cooking

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum