Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking!

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 am

Cookin Lore

OUCH! I bought a "new to me" car a few weeks ago. I have been very careful to never use a hand held device while driving. However, what really confuses me is the fact that we're not to use a hand held, but we can do all this stuff that shows up on my screen in the dashboard. It's just as distracting as holding a handheld.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

77February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When Andrea & I went to Fresh Market yesterday we could smell the peaches they had on a display as we walked by.  That's usually a good indicator they might have some good flavor.  So I purchased two to use to make some Peach Salsa, something of a 'guilty pleasure' for me to have as a snack.

I had put the peaches on the counter to soften a bit (yes, I know they don't 'ripen' after being picked but they do often get softer) and when I moved them this morning they seemed to be nice and soft.  

I have to say, these were nicer than most of the summer peaches I've purchased in the last few years.  The skins easily pulled off without even blanching the fruit!  And they smell and taste like PEACHES!

So, my salsa is made!

I'm thinking of going back today to get 4 more to make the peach scones I like so much.  They're great to have in the freezer, individually wrapped, so I can pull one out after supper to thaw on the counter for my breakfast coffee......

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_22_17

Here's the recipe I used:

Peach Salsa ~ Fresh!
(Cooking Light ~ 1995)

3 Lg. Peaches, peeled & diced
¼ c. Red Onion, diced (soaked in ice water & drained)
2 T. Parsley, finely chopped
2 T. Jalapeno Pepper, finely chopped (or to taste, may sub any spicy pepper)
1 t. Salt
1 T. Honey
2 T. Rice Vinegar
1 T. Lemon Juice

Optional ~ 1 t. Aleppo Pepper or sprinkle of Cayenne or Chili Powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl to combine. Allow to sit in refrigerator a few hours for the flavors to meld.

Good with grilled pork tenderloin or chops, tortilla chips or spooned on cottage cheese.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

78February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:41 pm

Cookin Lore

That sounds delish. I surely can't get any nice peaches here now!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

79February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Meatloaf, roasted crinkle cut potatoes (love that little crinkle cutter blade) carrots and green beans."

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_22_18

80February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Cookin Lore

My sister and I used to go to a local Turtle Jack's restaurant where they served a grilled salmon with a similar salsa, but it was mango. I'll try your recipe for the peach, using mango soon. Right now, even getting a decent mango here is very chancy. But, I imagine pretty well any sweet fruit would do. Papayas are pretty good and not so terribly expensive.

I just came back from a quick grocery store drive. It's nasty out now. Apparently we are in for the blending of a Colorado Low, an Arctic Vortex, and some other system coming at us. YEAY WINTER! Well, we've been very lucky here. Even when Buffalo was closed down the border closed at Christmas, locally we basically had nothing. Plows didn't even have to come out!

81February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight.

I spent the day changing the spare bed to have it ready for DD#2 who will be here sometime tomorrow. I also washed the towels and got stuff ready for the visit. It should be fun ~ we haven't seen Robin in over 3 years, since before Covid hit.

I have no idea what she wants me to cook ~ or if she just wants to go out and about since it's rare for her to have much vacation time.

We'll see..........

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

82February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Fried Fish ( smelts ) tonight; with potato latke with sour cream.

83February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:45 am

Cookin Lore

OH, YUMM! Smelts were the first fresh fish that I ever ate. We came from Germany in late April, and I think someone on the farm took my dad smelt fishing basically a few days later. There's a local spot where the smelt were plentiful. Cut off the heads, gut them if possible, and then just dredge them in flour with lots of black pepper. I was 11, and learned to do that.

But, I have a different question today. I was at Costco the other day, and found a bag of frozen seafood. Shrimp, scallops, mussels, calamari. And, my tastebuds got set to make a seafood paella. All the recipes I have found are of course for at least 6 people. That's OK, I can adjust. All the recipes also seem to have chorizo in it. I really don't like that, and the paella I had in Spain definitely did not have chorizo. There was rabbit, and that's ok, love rabbit. I need hints/help in spicing the rice and sauce. Any ideas?

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

84February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
But, I have a different question today.  I was at Costco the other day, and found a bag of frozen seafood. Shrimp, scallops, mussels, calamari.  And, my tastebuds got set to make a seafood paella.  All the recipes I have found are of course for at least 6 people.  That's OK, I can adjust.  All the recipes also seem to have chorizo in it.  I really don't like that, and the paella I had in Spain definitely did not have chorizo.  There was rabbit, and that's ok, love rabbit.  I need hints/help in spicing the rice and sauce.  Any ideas?

Lore, I use whatever sausage I like ~ just slice it or cube it up.  My local stores have spicy links or simply smoked beef brats (Johnsonville brand) that I've used.  It's nice if you can find somewhere that has 'bulk' link sausages that you can get just one of and buy an assortment to try before purchasing enough for a big pan of paella (maybe to be shared with Danny???).

I don't think recipes are anything more than a springboard for me to use what I like ~ much like every time I see (UGH!) cilantro I immediately sub in PARSLEY in my mind and I'm fine....LOL  So since you don't care for the taste of chorizo you get to sub in any sausage YOU like the taste of.

85February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:52 pm

Cookin Lore

Thanks, I won't be using any sausage, as the paella in Spain (Marbella)did not have any in it. I will use only seafood. If I were having company, I'd add rabbit, but it will just be seafood today.

86February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made my peach scones today (went back and got some more of those peaches!).

I put the recipe and all my photos in the breads section.

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 I10

87February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:13 pm

NormM

NormM

https://ediblemarinandwinecountry.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/gerards-paella-beat-bobby-flay

This is a good recipe for Paella and it has no sausage in it at all.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

88February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#2 will be here too late for our supper time ~ but I have portions ready to reheat for her after her 10+ hour drive today. She's about an hour away and is SO ready to be out of her car!

I made small chicken cutlets w/peach salsa, boiled potatoes & carrots ~ Dane didn't have any salsa...he's still on a very 'bland' diet. It's tough to cook without any fiber or spice.

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_23_14

89February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was just a bologna on 17 grain flower bread. Lots of mustard.
A garlic pickle on the side. As far as tomorrow, we will play that by ear.
No meat on Friday's till Easter Day for us.

90February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:32 pm

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:https://ediblemarinandwinecountry.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/gerards-paella-beat-bobby-flay

This is a good recipe for Paella and it has no sausage in it at all.

Thanks, That looks really good. Of course, changing it up (or down) for a much smaller serving is the biggest problem. Will keep it in mind, though.

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

91February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to a lovely little lake side restaurant for lunch.....

No one is hungry ~ chips & salsa it is!

LOL

cookingirl likes this post

92February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:00 pm

Cookin Lore

Busy afternoon shift at thrift store today, and I forgot to plan for anything for dinner................. So, cheese, crackers, a bit of Liverwurst and some really nice sliced AHI tuna that I found at Costco a while ago. It comes in a pack of 6 small, sliced individual packages, just great for a snack. Tomorrow maybe I'll cook!

93February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Shrimp Scampi that Tina made.

94February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy oh boy, my girls are easy to cook for!

Robin wanted me to make a Greek Chicken Salad she's made after she found it on Pinterest. I was like, "Sure!"

The vegetables were chopped cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, kalmata olives & parsley. The dressing was equal parts lemon juice & olive oil, Greek oregano, s&p.

The chicken breast was marinated in olive oil, Hungarian paprika, Greek oregano, s&p. Then it was simply sauteed until done and rested so it wasn't super hot to be sliced and placed on the dressed vegetables. It was interesting there wasn't any lettuce ~ just chopped vegetables. The red bell pepper was really good ~ very sweet ~ and the red onion was soaked in some ice water so it didn't have the 'bite' it can sometimes have.

Poor Dane ~ HE loves salads like that......HE got poached chicken, leftover (lightly) fried potatoes & leftover boiled carrots. HE would have wanted as much or more of the Feta Robin put on HER salad!

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_25_19

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_25_20

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_25_21

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_25_22

95February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Supper was chili that I made ...... No beans! DD wouldn't eat it if it had beans.
She loves all beans, but not in chili. Go figure.

bethk likes this post

96February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:46 am

Cookin Lore

OH NO!  Chili and no beans??? Say it isn't so!  My hubby also didn't like beans, and they are definitely one of my absolute favourite foods.  So, he actually learned to "tolerate" beans in chili. I may have told this story before, 'cause it's actually cute. So forgive me if I bore you. I was born in Germany in 1944 when there were bombs flying, and basically not much food around. HOWEVER, my mom had BEANS, so she boiled them, mushed them up, and I was fed beans as an infant. Is it any wonder I love beans???? Haven't met a bean yet that I didn't like! LOL

I had some chicken legs that were calling my name, some peppers, mushrooms and onions joined that chorus, so I ended up making chicken cacciatore.  More veggies than I would normally have, but Sooooo good. And no wasted veggies.

Weather's not bad today, we've been spared the massive apocalyptic  winter storm they've been predicting, so I think I'm going to play tourist.  Living so close to one of the natural Wonders of the World, Niagara Falls, I do try to take advantage of it.  The Niagara Parks Commission has a fabulous greenhouse which now will have its spring/Easter display.  The only problem with going there (I always have a season pass) is that I get all this inspiration of things I'd love to plant, and I'm on the 12th floor with no balcony.  Not much growing going on here.  Stay tuned for pictures later.  

There is also a fabulous meat and vegetable market that I like to go to not far away, maybe I'll get inspiration for something for supper.

No picture of last night's dinner.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

97February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a peach left on the countertop from the ones I purchased to make the peach scones ~ and they were pricey......So I decided to use one of my peach scones for a brunch Peach & Strawberry Shortcake!

OMG ~ SO GOOD!

Every once in a while you really need to splurge and treat yourself ~ That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_26_16

98February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are going to celebrate DD's birthday today; with a quiche and crepes.

99February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I had a peach left on the countertop from the ones I purchased to make the peach scones ~ and they were pricey......So I decided to use one of my peach scones for a brunch Peach & Strawberry Shortcake!

OMG ~ SO GOOD!

Every once in a while you really need to splurge and treat yourself ~ That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 02_26_16

That looks really good. And, absolutely, gotta treat yourself.

My playing tourist was a dud. Well, not completely, the meat/veggie market was great. I bought some nice pork ribs, a fresh whole rainbow trout, colbassa, some salami, vegetables, a mango, some nectarines, grapes, bananas, heirloom tomatoes, the biggest bunch of parsley I've ever seen, so now to decide................. ribs or the trout for dinner???

The tourist part being a dud? got to the parking lot for the flowershow complex. the parking meters use only credit cards. And you have to punch in your license plate number to be on the ticket. I got a new car. Don't know the plate # yet, so I had to go back to the car for that. So, I took a picture of it. Went back to the car, tried to use my VISA "Card not recognized". So, I said to myself "self, you're gonna take a chance on getting a parking ticket". Walked to the entrance of the place. It was closed. No note on the door, nothing at the parking lot entrance as to why. OK, my second choice of touristy things was going to be the local Butterfly conservatory. Been there many times, it's beautiful and so relaxing. So, I drove there. Almost. a couple of miles before that place, traffic jam. THere was a serious accident. Several police cars, fire truck an ambulance and traffic being re-routed..

So, that was my exciting trip. Having a nice Gin & Tonic now before unpacking all my groceries.

100February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well I had an interesting / exciting day!

I checked my credit card purchases on line today ~ something I usually do every couple days ~ and I saw a charge from last Tuesday (when Andrea was here with us) at Publix Grocery Store for $200.01. WHAT???? I couldn't for the life of me remember making any large purchase there, especially with Andrea here.

And, of course, Andrea is out of town today and unavailable to reach......so, no one to jog my memory.

I got in the car and drove to the store. The luck was with me as a store manager was at the service desk and I was able to explain my problem. She asked for the last 4 digits of my credit card, the date of purchase and the amount and said she would go check for the receipt. After a few minutes she came back with a LONG receipt of nothing I recognized. I explained there was no way I've EVER purchased that many items and she offered to go check the cameras to see who was at the register when the purchase was made. She came back with a 'screen shot' and, sure enough, IT WASN'T ME!

Then we looked at the receipt again and the first two items looked familiar.....I had picked up peaches and 2 little red Fresno peppers. I told the manager, "This is going to sound strange, but I take pictures of the food I cook. Here are pictures of the peach salsa and peach scones I made with those items."

So, she returned to the office area to review the films again and came back to say they saw me and my daughter make the purchase, hesitate for a moment looking for the receipt and then just leaving......and the cashier failed to complete MY transaction and just continued the next customer's purchase ~ which got charged to MY card.

Then she refunded me the entire $200.01 and re-rang the bill for the peppers and peaches.

Needless to say, I thanked her very much for all her time and effort.

Ain't technology great??? ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ When it works!

NormM likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum