Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking!

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#2, Robin, said her friend's uncle suffered from diverticulitis and found something called 'Rachel's Tea' to be helpful. She said she'd send some of the tea bags to her dad when she got back home as they had some. We looked at the website and there's a list of foods you can eat...but advises not to combine the wrong things together.

I looked at the lists and it says you can have many vegetables with meat but you can't combine starchy / carb vegetables with meat. Geesh! We have protein at most every meal. This is going to be tough to get used to.

Anyway, tonight was my first night of following the guidelines ~ Pork Tenderloin with zucchini/onion stir fry and steamed asparagus ~ both allowed with the meat. Normally I would add julienned carrots to the zucchini (love my colored vegetables!) but stuck with just the summer squashes and onions.

We'll see how he feels in the morning.

BTW ~ HE didn't have any peach salsa on his pork ~ just me..... (and it was OH, SO, GOOD!)

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 02_26_17

Here's the list of foods that can and can't be eaten together.....

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 02_24_15

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

102February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Norm.....help me out!

I was watching Sara Moulton on PBS. She was featuring ginger in her meals and made what she was calling a Korean Burger with Quick Kim Chi.

The burger wasn't anything that I would think of as a 'Korean Burger'.....she ground her own beef chuck in a food processor, added green onions, microplaned ginger, soy, brown sugar & sesame oil. OK, so she had some of the same ingredients used in your kalbi or bulgogi but I just thought it was kind of a loose interpretation of a 'Korean Burger'......oh and she topped it with her 'Quick Kim Chi'

I think that's where I was really confused. She cut up a Napa Cabbage into like 2" cubes and added 1/3 c. salt to be weighted down and sit for 30 minutes before she rinsed & dried. Meanwhile she made what I would consider a salad dressing with rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, paprika & cayenne....gosh, I don't remember what all. But my confusion is that I thought Kim Chi was fermented. She was making a pickled salad. Fermentation doesn't have any vinegar in it, does it?

The few times I've tried kimchi I thought it was more like a thick sauerkraut with some pretty spicy red pepper flakes.

Does the kimchi YOU buy have vinegar in it? Or was she simply making a pickled cabbage salad?

My inquiring mind wants to know! LOL

103February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:58 am

Cookin Lore

Yes, great when technology works. My volunteering job is as a cashier, and I will remember that. Now, my question is, one of you would have walked out of that store without a register tape. Was it you or the other customer? When I started at the thrift store, there were always two receipts printed, one for the customer, one for us to put in the cash drawer. That was changed to customer receipt only, I think to save paper. "My" store has a very friendly atmosphere with lots of interaction with customers. It is easy for someone like me who admittedly has the "gift of gab" LOL to become distracted.

It is also easy at our registers for people to calculate their final amount when they are in a hurry, and they put the cash on the counter and leave when it's just a few dollars. We are a registered charity, and charge no tax. So, prices are structured basically starting at $.25 and going up in $.25 increments, and many, many are in just whole dollar amounts. It's also really easy to give cash change as Canada abolished pennies a few years ago.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

104February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:37 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:Hey, Norm.....help me out!

I was watching Sara Moulton on PBS.  She was featuring ginger in her meals and made what she was calling a Korean Burger with Quick Kim Chi.

The burger wasn't anything that I would think of as a 'Korean Burger'.....she ground her own beef chuck in a food processor, added green onions, microplaned ginger, soy, brown sugar & sesame oil.  OK, so she had some of the same ingredients used in your kalbi or bulgogi but I just thought it was kind of a loose interpretation of a 'Korean Burger'......oh and she topped it with her 'Quick Kim Chi'

I think that's where I was really confused.  She cut up a Napa Cabbage into like 2" cubes and added 1/3 c. salt to be weighted down and sit for 30 minutes before she rinsed & dried.  Meanwhile she made what I would consider a salad dressing with rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, paprika & cayenne....gosh, I don't remember what all.  But my confusion is that I thought Kim Chi was fermented.  She was making a pickled salad.  Fermentation doesn't have any vinegar in it, does it?  

The few times I've tried kimchi I thought it was more like a thick sauerkraut with some pretty spicy red pepper flakes.

Does the kimchi YOU buy have vinegar in it?  Or was she simply making a pickled cabbage salad?

My inquiring mind wants to know!  LOL

There is a quick kimchi but it does not have any vinegar in it.  I like it so asked a friend if she could teach me how to make it.  She came over and started to assemble the ingredients, then pulled seasonings mixture wrapped up in saran wrap and wouldn't say what they all were.  Most of the "Korean" foods made by non-native Koreans does not measure up to the real thing. I recently tried a recipe from a Korean chef who never lived in Korea and was just recently getting into Korean food. Charlie and I could tell right away that he was missing the mark somehow.  i once had a main dish in an nice restaurant that said it was Korean.  It had pineapple in it.

Last edited by NormM on Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

105February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
There is a quick kimchi but it does not have any vinegar in it.  I like it so asked a friend if she could teach me how to make it.  She came over and started to assemble the ingredients, then pulled seasonings inaa mixture wrapped up in saran wrap and wouldn't say what they all were.  Most of the "Korean" foods made by non-native Koreans does not measure up to the real thing. I recently tried a recipe from a Korean chef who never lived in Korea and was just recently getting into Korean food. Charlie and I could tell right away that he was missing the mark somehow.  i once had a main dish in an nice restaurant that said it was Korean.  It had pineapple in it.

Why do some people do that? You ask to be taught how to make something and they think keeping ingredients 'secret' or (worse yet) omitting something altogether is acceptable behavior ~ I've always thought it was such an honor to teach someone how to make a recipe of mine they enjoyed.

After going to the (reportedly excellent & recommended) Korean BBQ in Atlanta, I do think the majority of Korean foods are too spicy for me.  Heck, I grew up in Ohio.  The spiciest thing we had was fresh horseradish ~ and that was used VERY sparingly!

I did try to get a small package of Korean pepper flakes when I was at the Oriental Market in Orlando ~ but the only size they had available was like a 2 Quart size bag.  All I wanted to do was get like 1 - cup to have and try (in very small amounts) to get a taste of.  The kimchi I bought from there in the refrigerated section (sold in 16 oz. deli containers) was too spicy for my palate....but I did try it with a couple things.  If mixed with enough PLAIN WHITE RICE one can eat the spicy things.

I'm such a wimp!

LOL

Last edited by bethk on Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

106February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Day 2 of following the suggested diverticulitis diet resulted in a meal of meatloaf, fresh garden green beans (second crop grown in our patio pots) and a Mediterranean salad (the same one Robin had me make during her visit). All the ingredients were on the 'allowed with protein' part of the recommendations. I'll find out tomorrow if the meal agreed with HIM.

When you spend 50+ years planning meals with a protein, starch & vegetables it's really difficult to cut one item out of the mix.

But who knows? I may lose 40 pounds before this is over! Woo Hoo!

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 02_27_17

cookingirl likes this post

107February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:34 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:
There is a quick kimchi but it does not have any vinegar in it.  I like it so asked a friend if she could teach me how to make it.  She came over and started to assemble the ingredients, then pulled seasonings inaa mixture wrapped up in saran wrap and wouldn't say what they all were.  Most of the "Korean" foods made by non-native Koreans does not measure up to the real thing. I recently tried a recipe from a Korean chef who never lived in Korea and was just recently getting into Korean food. Charlie and I could tell right away that he was missing the mark somehow.  i once had a main dish in an nice restaurant that said it was Korean.  It had pineapple in it.

Why do some people do that? You ask to be taught how to make something and they think keeping ingredients 'secret' or (worse yet) omitting something altogether is acceptable behavior ~ I've always thought it was such an honor to teach someone how to make a recipe of mine they enjoyed.  

After going to the (reportedly excellent & recommended) Korean BBQ in Atlanta, I do think the majority of Korean foods are too spicy for me.  Heck, I grew up in Ohio.  The spiciest thing we had was fresh horseradish ~ and that was used VERY sparingly!

I did try to get a small package of Korean pepper flakes when I was at the Oriental Market in Orlando ~ but the only size they had available was like a 2 Quart size bag.  All I wanted to do was get like 1 - cup to have and try (in very small amounts) to get a taste of.  The kimchi I bought from there in the refrigerated section (sold in 16 oz. deli containers) was too spicy for my palate....but I did try it with a couple things.  If mixed with enough PLAIN WHITE RICE one can eat the spicy things.

I'm such a wimp!

LOL

I never saw her cook anything so suspect she got the spices from someone and she didn't really know what all it was. They have red pepper powder in smaller sizes. This one is a little less that 8 ounces.
February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Img_0711

108February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, I figured they DO sell in smaller packages but the day I was there it wasn't available ~ or I was looking in the wrong area of the store.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck asking for assistance because most of the employees have a terrible time understanding me. I DID get lucky when I wanted to get more of some black/sweet soy ~ I took a picture of the bottle I had and the clerk walked right to the display and picked out a bottle for me. So it's ME ~ not them! They're more than happy to help if I can communicate properly!

109February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork back ribs, sweet potato and a yellow heirloom tomato with feta and parsley.
I put the ribs in the oven before I left for my shift, oven set to turn on at 3:00 temp 275. When I got home at 5:30 , ribs were basically done I added sauce and a sweet potato, cranked the temp to 375 and all were done about 25 min later. I love the delayed setting on my stove."

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 02_27_18

Note from Beth ~ your tomatoes look SO DELICIOUS!!! Did you get them at the market you went to?

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

110February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:03 am

NormM

NormM

I do that too. I look it up and print out a picture of things I need at the Asian store and at the Mexican store. Even if I can't get help, at least I'll know what to look for.

111February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was egg salad on light toast.... Leftover birthday cake for dessert.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

112February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, this 'limiting diet' is driving me nuts!

I'm making a chicken stir fry tonight with approved chicken & vegetables (he'll just have to deal with the bit of sauce that has ingredients NOT allowed.....I'm hoping it won't be so much that it bothers his stomach). Instead of rice (a starch that's NOT to be eaten with protein) I'll be making the zucchini/onion vegetable spaghetti we usually enjoy.

I'm tired of it already.........

But I'm hoping his gut gets healed enough to start eating our 'normal' meals.

We're supposed to go out with the neighbors to a restaurant in a couple weeks. IF HE ORDERS HIS USUAL BURGER ON A BUN WITH FRENCH FRIES I'll strangle him!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

113February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

He said my stir fry was good. I'll know by 4:00 a.m. if it was actually OK........

(( sigh ))

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 02_28_17

114February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

from Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Baked rainbow trout, rice medley with mushrooms, red pepper, onions and parsley; butternut squash. Yumm!"

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 02_28_18

115February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:22 pm

Cookin Lore

I was on a diet (very successful) a few years ago. I measured/weighed everything. The one very interesting part was that I had to have a protein at every meal, NEVER two proteins at the same meal. So, bacon/eggs/cheese in an omelet was a definite no no. I still have all the info and keep telling myself that I will get back on it. THe weight just about melted off me. SIGH.

116February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I was on a diet (very successful) a few years ago.  I measured/weighed everything.  The one very interesting part was that I had to have a protein at every meal, NEVER two proteins at the same meal.  So, bacon/eggs/cheese in an omelet was a definite no no.  I still have all the info and keep telling myself that I will get back on it.  THe weight just about melted off me.  SIGH.

I'm terrible at 'DIETS' ~ any time I try to restrict something (in our current case, starch/carbs) I absolutely CRAVE the restricted foods and then I cave in and binge eat. Which could be why I'm overweight today.....

But now I'm cooking for HIM ~ trying to keep him from having gut aches and further digestive problems ~ I can eat HIS restricted foods, but I don't do it in front of him so he doesn't get a craving for what he sees me eating. And so far he's feeling much better by not having starches with proteins.

117February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina bought one of those krakus 3 pound hams. We had that, with pineapple slices and glaze. .Mashed potatoes for Tina, and a sweet potato for me.
I'm not sleepy, so I made a banana cake for tomorrow.

118February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

February closed.....check for the March, 2023 thread.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum