Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking!

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I double checked the recommended foods HE shouldn't have difficulty eating and came up with a meal of Grouper / Salmon and Fried Rice.

HE was happy with the choice.

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_15_12

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_15_13

(the pic of HIS salmon was after he had already started eating......LOL)

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

52February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since I came up with the idea for last night's supper, HE was asked what he wanted to eat tonight.

He came up with 'Chicken & Noodles' ~ Okey Dokey! Container pulled out of the freezer and thawing in a bowl of cool water in the sink.

Meanwhile, I'm picking up and mopping the kitchen floor ~ yes, I know....I should do it weekly but maybe I'll start that idea today.

Our girls are coming to visit next week. They didn't consult with one another and ended up making travel plans that don't overlap. Go figure.....

DD#1 (Andrea) is flying in on Sunday and will leave on Wednesday. DD#2 (Robin) will drive down on Thursday and will drive home on Sunday morning....

We don't have much planned so we'll play it by ear ~ maybe drive over to the beach one day. Robin might want to just sit around (she has a stressful job that keeps her super busy). We'll see what they decide they want to do.

53February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina wants spaghetti and meatballs.

bethk likes this post

54February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I read all the time about “mise en place” or get your stuff together. So, I started my pictures that way.  Stuff in place to make a yummy stir fry of onions, mushrooms, garlic, red pepper, parsley; then some cream. Served over a combo of tagliatelle and Spagetti. Didn’t have enough of the tagliatelle, Spagetti worked great."

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_11_14

Lore….looks like we have the same backsplash

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Bd696e10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

55February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Classic choice both of you made ~ both absolutely beautiful!

56February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HIS choice worked out just fine ~ I added the baby peas because they're one of my favorite vegetables and usually on hand.....

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_16_17

57February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:59 pm

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:
bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I read all the time about “mise en place” or get your stuff together. So, I started my pictures that way.  Stuff in place to make a yummy stir fry of onions, mushrooms, garlic, red pepper, parsley; then some cream. Served over a combo of tagliatelle and Spagetti. Didn’t have enough of the tagliatelle, Spagetti worked great."

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_11_14

Lore….looks like we have the same backsplash

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Bd696e10

Guess we both have excellent taste!

JanaAZ likes this post

58February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was reviewing some old photos of meals and came across one for potato pancakes ~ from years ago. And, of course, THAT'S what I wanted for brunch today. I know it's not the healthiest thing in the world, especially for an overweight old broad, but I wanted some and I wanted them TODAY!

I also decided to make a grilled burger supper ~ I knew he would want sliced raw onion on his cheeseburger but I didn't cave.....I didn't want him to be sorry he ate a 'real' meal instead of the basted eggs or avocado toast he had last week so often.

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_17_14

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_17_15

59February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Dinner tonight a little ambitious considering I worked until 5:30. But I had the pork tenderloin prepped, and the filling done. But in my effort to make nice things just for one, I am still making things that are larger than for one. Did a stuffed tenderloin, stuffing was noons, mushrooms, a bit of breadcrumbs, butter. Rice medley. Good, but leftovers."

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_17_16

60February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:38 pm

NormM

NormM

I saw a recipe for beef stew yesterday that looked good but when I got back from the store, I realized i didn't have time to make it then so I got everything ready to dump in the slow cooker this morning.  In the meantime Charlie went to  a nearby Mexican market that also serves hot food and marinated meat for you to take home and cook. This placed is always mentioned as one of the best places in Kansas City to get authentic Mexican tacos.  He got some chicken legs for me for me to grill. He also got some tortillas, refried beans, fried rice, some sauces and tacos.  

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Img_0622
February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Img_0621February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Img_0624

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

61February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was halushki with fried cabbage. Then
Tina came home from her uncles and tax office to do his taxes. Low and behold,
she came home with home made pierogi's that His caregiver made fresh ones
this morning. WoW! .... Dee Lish! ... The previous care giver gave notice she was leaving to take care of her mother, and that left us in a pickle. To boot, she told us a week before.
What a s##t show that created. Tina's prayers must have been answered; because
we found this woman from the Ukraine; through word of mouth. She cooks everything from scratch.  

bethk likes this post

62February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Not a single bit of green or any other vitamin involved. I took out my bread machine and made a buttermilk bread! Soooogood hot out of the oven slathered with butter, Brie, and one piece with peanut butter. Yumm!"

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_18_12

63February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, MY, Lore! Such a guilty pleasure! I'm sure it was delicious.....EVERY BITE !!!

Andrea will be here this afternoon. Dane's still off much in the way of foods so we'll probably just go with what's here. I did make some chicken salad to have on romaine lettuce leaves....Andrea & I will most likely call that our supper.

It's nice when she comes to visit because it's 'down time' for her and she's happy to just sit around the house and courtyard and really doesn't care about doing much other than a few drives around in the golf cart to admire the many colorful flower plantings and the beautiful weather (it's in the mid 70's today and clear blue skies).

64February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:22 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It was halushki with fried cabbage. Then
Tina came home from her uncles and tax office to do his taxes. Low and behold,
she came home with home made pierogi's that His caregiver made fresh ones
this morning. WoW! .... Dee Lish! ... The previous care giver gave notice she was leaving to take care of her mother, and that left us in a pickle. To boot, she told us a week before.
What a s##t show that created. Tina's prayers must have been answered; because
we found this woman from the Ukraine; through word of mouth. She cooks everything from scratch.  

I'm glad that you found a great caregiver, so difficult to do. Especially one who does great food. BUT, I must be missing something................... I don't get the fascination with pierogis???????? It's starchy dough with a starchy filling! Someone enlighten me please! I've tried them three times now, maybe I just haven't found the right ones.

65February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's always nice having DD#1 visit ~ she likes everything I like. So, I made a batch of Chicken Salad ~ rotisserie chicken breast, celery, toasted almonds, a bit of grated carrot with a dressing of Miracle Whip, Hellmann's, Sour Cream, chopped parsley/chives & a bit of store bought curry powder. I ended up making Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps and it was the perfect 'light' supper. HE ended up making himself a plain sliced chicken sandwich ~ NO lettuce, NO fiber, (probably NO taste....). I feel bad for him but if his stomach is bothering him he has to decide what he wants to eat.

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_19_17

66February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote: BUT, I must be missing something................... I don't get the fascination with pierogis???????? It's starchy dough with a starchy filling!  Someone enlighten me please!  I've tried them three times now, maybe I just haven't found the right ones.

Lore, the first time I had pierogis they were made by the ladies from the Hungarian Church in our little town.  I remember being asked if I wanted butter/onion sauce (and of course said, YES!).  OMG ~ it was just THAT.....butter & onions!

The dough was thin and light and the mashed potatoes & carmelized onion filling was like a cloud wrapped in that tender dough......and dripping in the butter/onion sauce.

The first time I ever made them was here in our Villas ~ one of our neighbors, Joe, had lost his wife to cancer and it was his first Christmas without her.  She always made pierogis for Christmas Eve.  So I asked neighbor Darlene if she & I should make them for him after the new year....and we asked him for her recipe.  I have to say, it is the lightest, thinest, easiest dough I've EVER made ~ Personally, I think she had a hand in the whole thing and guided us as we made them.  Ended up having 12 neighbors show up for the meal!  Once word got out everyone wanted to share!

I'm not sure what Judy's recipe is but Joe shared Mary Ann's recipe and it was lovely to work with. We did use a ricer to be sure the potatoes were not lumpy ~ and I remember having a terrible time finding Farmer's Cheese here ~ we ended up making a substitution that was OK but 'not quite right'.... Most of all I remember how easy her dough was to work with ~ I rolled it by hand with my Grandma's rolling pin and cut it with a 3 1/2" biscuit cutter.

Here's the recipe he gave us:

PIEROGI FILLINGS:

SAUERKRAUT-MUSHROOM:   1 med. onion, #2 can or ~1lb. bag kraut,  1/4 lb. mushrooms,  ALL finely chopped, 2 T. sour cream.  
Saute onion in 3-4 T. oil, add kraut and mushrooms and cook down until dry. Add sour cream to make a spreading consistency. Cool.

POTATO:   2.5 lbs. potatoes ( preferably  a dry variety ), 1 lb. farmers cheese,  2 med. onions, finely chopped and lightly browned, salt & pepper to taste
Cook and mash potatoes.  DO NOT add milk or butter.  Add cheese and onions, mixing well.  Season to taste.  Cool.

CHEESE:  1 lb. farmers cheese, 1 T. sugar, 2 eggs. Mix altogether, blending well.

DOUGH:   6 cups flour, 1 teas. salt,  3 eggs,  1 c. sour cream,  1/2 c. milk, 1/4 c. melted butter
Bring dairy products to warm temperature for better mixing.  In a large bowl, mix flour & salt, then add warm ingredients.   Mix to a soft dough.  Have flour coating the board
( counter ) and turn dough out onto this surface…kneading a few minutes to work in all the flour until it is a smooth pliable ball.   Roll out a small section at a time or use a dough rolling machine and roll into strips.  Cut into circles using a large cup/can perhaps 4” in diameter.  Depends on how big you want them to be!!  Place a nice amount of filling into the center of each, trying not to get any on the edges.  Fold dough over to make a semi-circle and press the edges well to seal (a light coating of water from fingertip to edges helps seal)…can be crimped like a pie crust or use a fork.  Place on paper towels as they are made and dry slightly, turning over after a few minutes.  Bring a large pot of water to boil when almost done with the dough.  Add 8-10 pierogi to the boiling water at a time.  Cook about 3-5 minutes, they will float to the top.  Use a large slotted spoon to remove from the water and place them in a colander that is in a bowl and then on a cooling rack to drain ( with paper towels underneath or a sided cookie sheet ).

EAT NOW or freeze in layers on a cookie sheet ( just until firm ) and then place in a bag to be individually taken out as needed.  Or layer with plastic wrap in a freezer container.  
We like to serve our pierogi on a platter with lightly browned butter poured over the top.  

This is a traditional staple for our Polish Christmas Eve dinner.
ENJOY from the SIECZKA’s (Joe & MaryAnn)                                                       December 2003

67February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Baking Non baker, me baked some gluten free biscuits today. Daughter-in-law Lisa is gluten sensitive, so I bake these biscuits for her sometimes. Yummy."

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_20_13

68February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Homemade Bread.....

Homemade Gluten Free Biscuits.......

What kind of cookies & cake are in the plan?????

69February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea got to have the bounty of the garden ~ I made beef & peapods for her with the peapods we grew in our patio pots. And she was happy to have it!

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_20_14

70February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 pm

NormM

NormM

Tonights dinner was pork chop smothered in a gravy made with seasoned flour, pan dripping, chicken stock and buttermilk. I think the melting roasted potatoes was Beths or I googled it after some of you were discussing this general method. The corn came from the freezer and the bread was leftover from yesterday.February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Img_0710

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

71February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:10 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Homemade Bread.....

Homemade Gluten Free Biscuits.......

What kind of cookies & cake are in the plan?????

No cookies or cake planned.

72February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I made Shrimp Scampi on Fetuccini with toasted Olive Bread for Andrea. It was nice to be able to cook for her and give her some time off from the kitchen (she cooks most nights at home). I have to say, it was as tasty as any I've had in a restaurant ~ just a bit less sauce that they usually serve.

And the toasted Olive Bread was so good ~ it's carried at Fresh Market and we made a golf cart run down to the store in the 80° sunshine just to get it! She's enjoyed her visit ~ tomorrow morning she flies back to the cold (and probably wet) Indianapolis area so her warm retreat will be over.

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_21_13

February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 02_21_14

73February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD brought home Pizza from an Italian restaurant.
Today was court for Tina day, at home on line virtually. $237.00 for using
a device ( cell phone ) whilst driving on I-80.

bethk likes this post

74February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear! What an expensive lesson.......

Of course she knows she shouldn't.....

(( sigh ))

75February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! - Page 3 Empty Re: February, 2023 ~ Let's get cooking! Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, dear!  What an expensive lesson.......

Of course she knows she shouldn't.....

((  sigh  ))

Actually, she always uses the screen on the dash to talk, but GD was in a drama session over looking for someone to watch Liam while she gets her nails done..... and Tina was trying to get connected. Crying or Very sad No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum