Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I really wasn't all that hungry....just knowing I'll be overeating at lunches out and snacking for the next three days or so....

I did make HIM a baked potato to go with the chicken breast he decided on.

The leftover chicken will be a good thing to have on hand for him to have when I'm out and about.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_07_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I found a bbq sauce that I love, so did some ribs in the oven, and made a lentil salad as a side."

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_07_15

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I saw a chili recipe in the newspaper to try. I made some small changes while I was cooking it and after it was done, I added a few other things. December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 Img_0412

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

I made Bahn Mi sandwiches for dinner tonighDecember, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 Img_0413

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was like in a coma today. I slept like till 2:30 PM with a massive migraine headache.
I had no appetite to eat a thing. Right now I HAVE THE HEADACH'''AND I still have a spongy felling in my head. I Blame the flue shot!!!!!!!!
DD was here baking cookies, and for supper, I had 3 of them, plus 2 fried meatballs left from Sunday!
I forgot to say, my wife's brothers wife was rushed to the hospital with a rash on her back, and stomach pains, and her stomach was blocked.....all after the flue shot last week. I say, eat the chicken soup for flue medicine.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea got in very late Wednesday night.....she took the shuttle from the airport to our house so it was just a matter of leaving the door unlocked and she was here in the morning when I got up.

We spent most of the day just driving around in the golf cart, going here & there ~ she just wanted to take advantage of the 80° weather since it's about 40° and rainy in Indianapolis!

We met Lyn for a lovely lunch at The Chop House and then came home and we just 'snacked' for supper ~ I had thawed out a small casserole of Buffalo Chicken Dip I had in the freezer (glad I had it!) and picked at olives & pickles....whatever anyone wanted to snack on.

Today Dane is going to a late lunch with us at the new seafood restaurant that recently opened in the town square nearest us. We'll probably take the golf carts up to park so we can enjoy the weather again. Tomorrow morning we'll head back to Orlando to meet up with Tori & Jim after her soccer tournaments for a short visit before they head back to the airport for the flight home.

It may be short visits but it's always great to see them and catch up on what's going on in everyone's lives.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's so much fun having a daughter here for a couple days.  We decided to go to the new seafood restaurant for lunch today to give it a try.

Even though it was lunch, we decided to give the cocktails a try.  HE had a Bloody Mary ~ tasty but not pictured because it was half gone before I thought to take pictures....  She and I both had sangria ~ her's was peach and mine was berry, both of which were fairly sweet so we asked for some soda water to add to it.....and then it was perfectly balanced for a refreshing drink.

HE had an oyster poboy ~ lots of cornmeal crusted oysters, she had crab stuffed shrimp with seasoned rice & broccoli, she said the crab was without any filling that she could find and was very flavorful.  I had the calamari salad that had a ginger dressing, banana chips and sliced banana, roasted red peppers & cashews.  The calamari was really good ~ very fresh and not at all chewy (as often happens).  I've never had a salad with sliced banana but somehow it worked.  

The lunch menu was offered along with the dinner menu so anything could be tried.  We'll definately be going back.  The luncheon sizes were somewhat smaller than the dinner portions and the bill was only $90 for the 3 of us....very reasonable to me!  I mean, we each had an entree and a cocktail and we were full....couldn't ask for more.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_09_15

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_09_16

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_09_17

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_09_18

NormM

NormM

i baked Cornish Hens with an orange teriyaki sauce and broiled tomatoes topped with salt, pepper, Romano cheese, bread crumbs and butter.December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 Img_0415December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 Img_0417

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a wasted day ~sort of an eat what is around.
Tina made a pot of chicken soup. We had that with Klosky Dutch noodles.
there was a panettone we were given . I was asked to slice it. I'm not a very good slicing panettone as one can very well see!

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 Img_2315

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had thawed one of the 'half size' beef chuck roasts, not knowing what I was going to make. Then DD#1 mentioned beef & noodles when I talked with her and the decision was made. Actually made it in memory of a dear friend who passed away yesterday ~ our friend Larry (and his wife Karen) were on their way from northern Ohio to pick up their daughter and son-in-law in Columbus to all go on a family cruise. At a rest stop he collapsed and passed away a short time later at a nearby hospital. Karen is a nurse and was satisfied anything medically appropriate was done and it was unfortunate, but he is gone.

But Larry was the person who taught me to serve beef and noodles over mashed potatoes ~ I thought it was the strangest thing I had ever heard but he explained that's the way his mom always made the meal. He had a bunch of brothers ~ all big guys ~ and his mom had a huge garden full of potatoes (other times she'd buy the potatoes in 50 pound bags at the farmers' market). The first time he served us the meal I fell in love ~ so don't scoff at someone else's 'standard' meal that's different from your own!

I did a picture tutorial for my daughters ~ so I'm sharing the pictures here! LOL

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 1_chuc10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 2_seas10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 3_brow10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 4_add_10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 5_2_yo10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 6_add_10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 7_knea10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 8_no_l10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 9_divi10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 10_lib10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 11_sta10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_cut10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 13_tos10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 14_spr10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 15_sim10

bethk

bethk
Admin

My memorial supper.....RIP good friend Larry!

Beef & Noodles over Mashed Potatoes

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_11_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Ready for me to take to 90 year old uncle today. One of his (and my late hubby’s) favourites potato salad and headcheese. I have made a lot of headcheese in my life, but don’t seem to get it solid enough to slice thinly. Any thought about help? I add unflavored gelatin, but just how much do I have to add? 
BTW, both uncle and I have just recovered from a bout of COVID!"

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_11_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

Personally, Lore, I don't think it's supposed to be sliced thin. (or try cutting with an old electric knife......just a thought.....)

It looks perfect to me!  I'm sure your uncle loved it!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made breakfast today.... grated onions and potatoes fried. Scrambled eggs and cheese, toast and coffee. Supper will be fried zucchini cubes with medium shells pasta. Cookies or ice cream for dessert.
We had a dusting of snow last night. Yay! We just are snow / winter people.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a chicken breast thawed for supper but after a hectic day and then a dental cleaning appointment that wore me out, I was in absolutely no mood to cook.

So, pizza delivery to the rescue!

It's never a favorite but it was fine tonight.

Hopefully, I'll get a good night's rest and feel more like making a meal tomorrow ~ although right now I haven't a clue what I'll make with that chicken.

(( sigh ))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We made do with spaghetti with just a plain marinara sauce.
It's cold out. 27 now, but teens overnight.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sliced the chicken breast in half and made cutlets ~ simply seasoned & patted with a bit of flour ~ then pan fried. I finished off a microwaved sweet potato in the toaster oven to get it a bit crispy on the skin and then microwave steamed some really nice asparagus I picked up today.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_13_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a burger and acorn squash. The others had previously leftovers.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was pulling old stuff out of the refrigerator since I won't be here for a few days ~ it drives me nuts that HE doesn't know how old some of the leftovers are and just eats whatever is in the refrigerator. If I can't remember when we had something and I have to look back to check a date (I know ~ I should mark everything but, hey, I DON'T) then it just needs to be tossed.

I had some leftover rotisserie chicken in the freezer (yes, it WAS marked with a date and securely wrapped) so I pulled it out for supper. I decided to make creamed chicken on noodles ~ HE'S having his on toast, personal preference) and it's a good thing he's in favor of toast because I only have a small amount of dry noodles in the pantry. They're now on my grocery list.

I looked in the freezer for some frozen mixed vegetables and discovered I had none so I made my own. I cut up a couple carrots, a good handful of fresh green beans and did have some frozen peas. So, I cooked the vegetables and have my own special blend!

I'll be gone until Sunday so don't think there's anything wrong since I won't be posting or even checking here on the forum.

Lyn asked me to drive her to Atlanta (about 6 hours) to take her and help her for the bridal shower she's hosting for her last niece to get married. We'll be assembling a bunch of appetizers for a small group. It shouldn't be too much work and I'm sure we'll have a great time.

So, like I mentioned, don't worry about me if I'm AWOL for a few days.

Carry on without me!

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was received well....Creamed chicken on noodles or toast.....

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_14_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was pizza for supper. Breakfast was a mushroom and onions egg frittata.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yesterday was lagonaga cheese and basil sausage, and cheese macaroni with cheddar and American cheese, and elbow macaroni.
No clue of what to have today.....? I am having thoughts of crispy chicken wings.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Personally, Lore, I don't think it's supposed to be sliced thin.  (or try cutting with an old electric knife......just a thought.....)

It looks perfect to me!  I'm sure your uncle loved it!!!
😊😊

Thanks, yes, I'm not concerned about him loving the headcheese.  I was wondering about slicing it because in the grocery stores, they slice it as thin as ham.    Actually what I did was double up on the amount of gelatin (according to directions of one pack per 16 oz. of liquid) and it worked out perfectly, was easy to cut with my great serrated steal knives.  

I have not checked in here lately.  Got over the dreaded covid with few lasting effects.  Bad coughing for about 48 hours, no fev er, but was fatiqued for a few days.  I'm back to my volunteering and the store has been very busy, Busy is always good.

A few days ago I made some German styled beef rouladen, froze them without finishing the gravy those, will be on the Christmas Eve table along with the requisite crispy chicken wings, roasted potatoes as well as mashed.

Also, a couple of days ago I made some stuffed squid.  Had some in the freezer, and found a really nice recipe in a Jamie Oliver cookbook.  Stuffing was very simple, breadcrumbs, a bit of oil, a lot of parsley, Parmesan, and an egg.  I didn't pay attention to the directions which said not to stuff more than half, so as the filling expanded, part of it came up as they simmered in a basic marinara sauce,  They were delicious, sooooo tender and I will make them again.  Will send a couple of pictures, they don't show up well when in the sauce, but you all have a good imagination, right????

It has been impossible for me to figure out what to give my children for Christmas, they have everything, don't need anything, so I came up with an idea.  I "bought" some gifts for the charity where I volunteer.  I chose to "buy" two broods of chickens, and some investment into clean water in various parts of drought stricken Africa.  I hope my children appreciate it.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_17_10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_17_11

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 12_17_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

When we got to the airbnb rental on Thursday with Lyn & her sister, Sandi, to prep for the bridal shower for Sandi's daughter, Katie, we needed to go somewhere for supper.  I asked if we could go to a Korean BBQ restaurant just to experience it one time.  They were both up for the idea so we took our host's suggestion of a place nearby called 9292 Korean BBQ.  

The waiter helped us by making a suggestion of what to order and was an absolute joy, so kind and tolerant of our questions and needing explanations of what things were.  The majority of the side dishes were too spicy for us but we had so much grilled meats that none of us was hungry when we finished.

So, here are the pictures from our first trip to a Korean BBQ restaurant.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 A_929210

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 B_char10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 C_pers10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 D_meat10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 D_1_sp10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 F_gril10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 G_maki10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 H_mari10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 I_radi10

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 J_our_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

The bridal shower was a huge success. Lyn's niece was thrilled and so happy.

Lyn & Sandi planned a menu of small bites and dessert was a small (purchased) cake and lots of cookies and sweet treats.

So, here are the pictures from the shower.

Table favors ~ Little live tree with a paper lantern on a bamboo tray:

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 A_tabl10

The decorated table:

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 B_deco10

Wine & Crab Dip w/crackers:

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 C_wine10

Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps:

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 D_chic10

Mediterranean Salad w/kidney beans, cucumber, tomato & red onion:

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 E_kidn10

Charcuterie Board:

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 2 F_char10