Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I went to my favourite market to get a nice pork tenderloin for tonight.  Of course, so many things looked great, I spent $83.00  That's ok.  Did get the tenderloin.  I was going to stuff it like I did one a few weeks ago.  Then, as I started to put stuff away, son Danny called, did I want to meet him at "his" pub for a beer.  So, of course I went, and was hungry.  So, I ordered a charcouterie board that we shared, and the tenderloin will be done another day.  
Tomorrow is another day, right?

The 'surprise' invites are always the best! good choice

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Leftovers ??? Not for me!... I would be happy with a hot dog. LOL
Tina and her friend were out shopping this morning, and ate at the Cheesecake factory.
She had a shepherds pie, and she hopes it stays down she said. She thinks they used
MSG. ........... She is allergic to that flavor enhancer.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear ~ Poor Ms. Tina! I hope everything is OK now......

I'm still in a 'cooking funk' ~ seems like it's been a recurring scenario for the last few months. I go to the store and absolutely nothing sparks my interest. So I just pick something up and hope it's a meal we'll enjoy.

Tonight we're having some smoked beef sausage. I knew I had half a head of cabbage in the refrigerator so that'll be a nice side along with some boiled potatoes.

(( boring ))

(( sigh ))

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE said it was good ~ it's been a long while since we've had the smoked beef sausage....

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 5 12_30_17

I can't believe we're at the end of the year 2022.....it seems like such a long time but yet, on the other hand, where did it all go????

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, dear ~ Poor Ms. Tina!  I hope everything is OK now......

I'm still in a 'cooking funk' ~ seems like it's been a recurring scenario for the last few months.  I go to the store and absolutely nothing sparks my interest.  So I just pick something up and hope it's a meal we'll enjoy.

Tonight we're having some smoked beef sausage.  I knew I had half a head of cabbage in the refrigerator so that'll be a nice side along with some boiled potatoes.

((   boring   ))

((   sigh    ))

Tina made out ok and feeling better......thank you. The pie was greasy from the beef they made it with.
#########################################################

Web are in a cooking funk also. It's not like we don't have the food or the method, but it's just like..... no desire to just do it. Cook that is. I guess it's our age. We cannot do what we used to do when we were in our 40's. I told Tina, that maybe we should take a break from all the heavy cooking, and chill out and fix simple things; such as a minute steak sandwich, or burgers or hot dogs. Rice and beans, and chili. Sometimes we will just have mac and cheese or a griddled cheese & tomato... etc.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I understand cooking funk. I seem to have slipped into the opposite. Feel like making fancy stuff. I have a relatively new volunteering partner, about my sons' age who is from China. She loves to cook, so we talk food when there's a break in customers at the cash. Yesterday she brought in some really good dumplings she made in the morning. From scratch, including the dough. Filling was pork, and really nice and spicy. Fun talking to someone with a very different cooking style.

But for tonight, for myself, I am going to make something I did first about 20 years ago, a Paul Prudhomme recipe. It's called Seaside stuffed shrimp, rather time consuming, but so good, and a really nice presentation. I made that the first time when Cindy and her husband came for a visit from California. Bruce loved seafood, but was allergic to fish so ha had to be very careful eating in seafood restaurants.

As it is with so many great recipes, I have the problem of improvising with quantities if making something just for me. I ordered a book called cooking for one thinking there would be some fabulous recipes. but it's basic cooking with the quantities measured for one. That's something I really don't need help with. .

I don't know if any of you here are familiar with Paul Prudhomme's books, but he uses just about as many spices as I find in Indian recipes. So, I read through the recipe for these shrimp (butterflied and stuffed with crab) again, and I remember how good it all was, so I will make the spice mix as large as the recipe calls for 4 people, and keep on hand for another time.

Hope my ambition doesn't disappear today!

Happy New Year All from dreary, wet Niagara.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know the 'good luck' meal is usually eaten on New Year's Day but I have the time today and everything is ready for making collard greens ~ AND I'M HUNGRY FOR THEM......LOL

So, I have my collards going and I'm looking forward to eating them tonight with a grilled steak.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 5 12_31_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

As always on New Year's Eve ~ we spend the evening at home with a home cooked meal. I DO NOT go out on holidays ~ restaurants are too busy, the menu is usually smaller and there are people all around I don't care to share a meal with (loud, obnoxious, drunk, etc....). So, tonight was our 'usual' holiday.

I made a pot of collard greens (for good luck in the New Year, representing money), a baked potato, a charcoal grilled New York Strip steak and some corn muffins.

And, yes, the corn muffins were from a Jiffy Mix ~ but I did add some fresh corn, cut from the cob, to the batter. They were really, REALLY good. The fresh corn kernels added a 'POP !' that was tasty and a great texture. Even HE noticed and commented they were really good ~ and I knew he was telling the truth because he took a second, something he almost NEVER does with breads.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! - Page 5 12_31_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy New Year everyone.

We ate a sub for dinner, and Tina had some turkey soup.
We may make it to 12 midnight. As far as drinking elixirs, I don't think so. I may have a glass of wine. Tomorrows dinner will be my home made pizza, all for the party we are having for grand daughters 30th birthday. It was her request to have papa's pizza.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum