Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thanksgiving, 2022

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Thanksgiving, 2022 Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The day is almost upon us ~ what's in your menu plan?

This is a year that I'll be cooking for just the two of us.  We were invited to join Lyn & Bill and 6 others but I 'begged' off as I really don't feel like dealing with a big meal for 10.  I guess my age is catching up with me.  We were also invited to join 3 others for a restaurant meal ~ but that is NEVER a choice I make on any holiday.  I don't like the 'limited menu', the crowds and the (many times) sub-par meals.

So, I get to plan what I want.  And turkey ISN'T ON MY MENU!  

I do have a nice 6# free range chicken to roast ~ I like to think of it as a miniature turkey with better taste.....LOL

I'll roast it so it's nice and golden and use the drippings to make a nice gravy.  I'm planning on some mashed potatoes to pour that gravy over, too.  I have one sweet potato that I'm thinking of baking and then adding a pecan streusel of some kind.

Vegetables and sides will be the highlight of my meal ~ a small dish of homemade dressing (no, I don't put it into the bird....), oven roasted carrots & parsnips and also cauliflower & broccoli. If the green beans are ready to pick they will get roasted with some sliced crimini mushrooms. I'll make my traditional orange Jell-o cabbage/carrot/pineapple salad ~ Dane misses it when it's not on the table.  Dessert will be Grandma's Pumpkin Pie that I'll make on Wednesday (OK, so I'm cheating and using the refrigerated Pillsbury crusts).

OH, GOOD GRIEF!!! I'm a week ahead of the rest of you. I think my mind is lost ~ for some reason I thought today was the 21st and Thanksgiving is 3 days away.....

I'm going to blame it on having too much on my mind. (or just old age......)

2Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:58 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The day is almost upon us ~ what's in your menu plan?

This is a year that I'll be cooking for just the two of us.  We were invited to join Lyn & Bill and 6 others but I 'begged' off as I really don't feel like dealing with a big meal for 10.  I guess my age is catching up with me.  We were also invited to join 3 others for a restaurant meal ~ but that is NEVER a choice I make on any holiday.  I don't like the 'limited menu', the crowds and the (many times) sub-par meals.

So, I get to plan what I want.  And turkey ISN'T ON MY MENU!  

I do have a nice 6# free range chicken to roast ~ I like to think of it as a miniature turkey with better taste.....LOL

I'll roast it so it's nice and golden and use the drippings to make a nice gravy.  I'm planning on some mashed potatoes to pour that gravy over, too.  I have one sweet potato that I'm thinking of baking and then adding a pecan streusel of some kind.

Vegetables and sides will be the highlight of my meal ~ a small dish of homemade dressing (no, I don't put it into the bird....), oven roasted carrots & parsnips and also cauliflower & broccoli. If the green beans are ready to pick they will get roasted with some sliced crimini mushrooms. I'll make my traditional orange Jell-o cabbage/carrot/pineapple salad ~ Dane misses it when it's not on the table.  Dessert will be Grandma's Pumpkin Pie that I'll make on Wednesday (OK, so I'm cheating and using the refrigerated Pillsbury crusts).

OH, GOOD GRIEF!!!  I'm a week ahead of the rest of you.  I think my mind is lost ~ for some reason I thought today was the 21st and Thanksgiving is 3 days away.....

I'm going to blame it on having too much on my mind.  (or just old age......)

No cooking this year, I order the roasted turkey and side dishes from Safeway nearby, D is going to pick them up on Thanksgiving Day. I don't feel like to cook and eat too much, I also don't want to spend too much, so about $70 for 10 lbs Turkey, mashed potato, stuffing/dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce and dinner rolls, I'm just going to roast some brussel sprout, my sis in law will bring green bean casserole and a pie

bethk likes this post

3Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wednesday ~ today is the day I'll bake my two pumpkin pies, using Grandma's recipe. OK, so I'm cheating on the crusts. The Pillsbury refrigerated ones are just fine. I'm still lamenting the fact I cannot make a decent pie crust since they changed the formula for Crisco (although I should be happy that I'm not dead from all the unhealthy stuff that WAS in it.....). And I CAN make a good pie crust, using Crisco and grated frozen butter and more time and mess than I feel like investing....but that's another story. I usually save that work for when I make a really good chicken pot pie.

I'll saute my vegetables for the dressing. I like to mix the hot vegetables & butter into the dry dressing cubes the day before & keep it in the refrigerator until it's time to bake it. Then I'll add the stock & an egg to hold it all together in the casserole. I'm using the Pepperidge Farms Cubed Dressing ~ my Grandma & Mom used it for as long as I can remember and I just like the seasoning they have included. Don't hate me for not making my own bread, cubing it, drying it and then seasoning it. Some traditions just have to go on forever.

I'll also make my Jello salad. It's one that HE really likes and is, after all, traditionally on the table for Thanksgiving.

I could make the mashed potatoes today but I'll have plenty of time tomorrow. Tomorrow will also be when I clean / cut the vegetables for roasting. My chicken is thawed. Maybe I'll get my herbs picked and chopped and made into a compound butter to get pushed under the skin of the bird ~ or maybe I'll wait until tomorrow and just use softened, room temperature butter.

4Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've done as much as I can to prep for tomorrow's holiday meal. All I really have to do tomorrow is clean some vegetables to roast in the oven at the last minute. The chicken is seasoned with herbed butter (herbs out of the patio pots) and is in the refrigerator getting a dry skin so it's super crispy tomorrow when I roast it.

The Jello salad is chilling out in the back of the refrigerator. The potato casserole just needs to be reheated along the chicken tomorrow. The pies are made ~ we'll probably have some pie tonight.....just because I like Grandma's pumpkin pie and there are two so ...... why not?

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_23_13

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_23_14

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_23_15

Imelda HL likes this post

5Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took my chicken out to warm a bit before putting it into the oven to sear. You can see how much herb butter I put under the skin.

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_14

After 20 minutes at 450° I turned the oven down to 325° for the duration of the roasting time. After an hour I'll remove the rack and add a couple thick slices of sourdough bread to soak up chicken fat and turn into crusty croutons for today or another day.....

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_15

6Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:21 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

The chicken looks delicious already Beth. I just pick up my turkey dinner from the store, it all looks good, but in 3 hours we'll see how it tastes

bethk likes this post

7Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My vegetables are all prepped and ready for the oven ~ I'll use the 'air fry' feature and let them get good and brown, just the way we like them.

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_16

8Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so random pics of Thanksgiving, 2022.....

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_17

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_18

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_19

Thanksgiving, 2022 11_24_20

HE packed up the leftovers. I started the dishwasher. Day is done.........(and so am I !)

9Thanksgiving, 2022 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2022 Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy DAY AFTER Thanksgiving........

I just realized the can of jellied cranberry sauce is still sitting on the shelf of the refrigerator.....

LOL

It's happened before ~ it'll happen again ~ HE always wants it but never thinks to remind me to get it to the table.

(( sigh ))

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum