Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start !

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Off subject, I know, but I wanted to share.

I got a call from our DD#2 that the house we sold in Ohio is back on the market.  Today the 'new' pictures were available for viewing online.

She said, "She RUINED it!!!" in reference to the changes the new owner made.  

Quite honestly, since the check cleared from our sale, I don't care......Hahahahahaha!

It is interesting what others view as acceptable when listing a house for sale as opposed to your own thoughts ~ I took the fact that she has way too much stuff sitting on the floors in the dining room and bedrooms as "There isn't enough storage in this little house"......which, quite honestly, I would agree with.  Plus, she has too much STUFF......

I understand totally. Apparently the [people who bought my place have put up fences around our beautiful terrace around the firepit. To save their dogs from getting hurt when they have a fire. I would be telling them that the dogs would get their nose or paws hurt once, and stay away. Animals are instinctively careful around fire. Our dogs were always around the fire, they loved the heat. Never got hurt, but as you said, the check cleared. The beauty of having 15 acres is that you don't need fences, in my definitely not humble opinion.

And, I have become obsessed with home renovation shows. I have yelled at the TV on occasion when I hear people say that they need more storage space................."You don't need more space, you need to get rid of crap!! Oh well, I like watching the shows anyway.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Getting things done early while I still have energy. Tonight’s dinner is albondigas soup. I’ll be serving it with some of my homemade bread which will be ready later today. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 Bf156b10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Still not hungry since it was Ladies' Lunch day.....

Glad there was soup in the freezer for HIM.

Maybe I'll cook tomorrow.......

NormM

NormM

On a whim I got a bone-in ham yesterday and cooked it today. We had a little holiday for no reason.November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 Image18

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Two small pork cutlets, oven roasted fingerling potatoes and leftover grilled vegetables! Yumm!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_19_10

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:  But that's just me (and Jimmy.....LOL).

This is definitely a dish I would serve to guests ~ and I would stick with all thighs because they are so very forgiving when you cook them.

(Many thanks to Judy for reminding me of this recipe!)

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_18_14

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_18_15

Oh Yeah! ...get out the blow torch for Jimmy's Chicken.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight we had "Mikes" casserole. We just named it that because we have a friend who won't eat it. It's the one with ground beef and mixed veggies and topped with blue tube biscuits and cheese. Holy cow...... it's the next day already. Time to start planning for todays meals.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out for breakfast this morning ~ my absolute FAVORITE meal to eat out. HE decided to have the largest offering from the menu.

I'm sure he didn't go rustling around in the refrigerator for anything for lunch.....I'm surprised he could waddle away after that huge breakfast.

So, supper was soup & salad ~ chili, to be exact.

So happy to have a supply in the freezer for a 'no cook' supper.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_20_17

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was on Facebook a week ago and my sister-in-law (married to my older brother in Georgia) posted about my brother, Chuck, falling on her foot and bruising it really horribly.

Oh, and by the way, she stated.....she thought she got the better of the bargain because he was in the hospital with a brain bleed.....

Geesh! Who does that sort of thing? I mean, really, she could have called to let me and my other brother know about Chuck's accident in the house.

So, anyway, last Tuesday he had brain surgery to remove a giant clot from his brain. He's going to be fine but isn't being the best of patients. It's funny how much he reminds me of our dad (who passed away in his mid 50's) who was the world's worst patient when in a hospital.

My only advice to my sister-in-law was to 'have appointments' and only go to the hospital early when she wants to speak with the doctors. Chuck needs to go to rehab after he's released from ICU (and after a short stay in a 'regular' hospital room) and I know he's going to try to refuse, insisting he can go home for recovery.

They still haven't figured out why he fell and apparently it's not the first (or 4th) time it's happened in the last few months.

I do know I'm staying out of that discussion. I know he won't listen to me any more than he will to her.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was on Facebook a week ago and my sister-in-law (married to my older brother in Georgia) posted about my brother, Chuck, falling on her foot and bruising it really horribly.

Oh, and by the way, she stated.....she thought she got the better of the bargain because he was in the hospital with a brain bleed.....

Geesh!  Who does that sort of thing?  I mean, really, she could have called to let me and my other brother know about Chuck's accident in the house.

So, anyway, last Tuesday he had brain surgery to remove a giant clot from his brain.  He's going to be fine but isn't being the best of patients.  It's funny how much he reminds me of our dad (who passed away in his mid 50's) who was the world's worst patient when in a hospital.

My only advice to my sister-in-law was to 'have appointments' and only go to the hospital early when she wants to speak with the doctors.  Chuck needs to go to rehab after he's released from ICU (and after a short stay in a 'regular' hospital room) and I know he's going to try to refuse, insisting he can go home for recovery.

They still haven't figured out why he fell and apparently it's not the first (or 4th) time it's happened in the last few months.  

I do know I'm staying out of that discussion.  I know he won't listen to me any more than he will to her.

Sorry to hear that Beth. Hope he gets through his recuperation quickly. When I first started to read the post, I was thinking and picturing a Chuck Roast falling on SIN's Foot; like from the freezer. The second time I read it, then I got it all squared up in my backward mind......
When I was in re-hab in the nursing home, I was the same way.
I was supposed to be discharged after 7 at night, but Tina and I scampered out at 12 noon. She head admin woman said , we don't have all the paperwork ready..... and I said, send them to me, I only live a 1//4 mile away. AND Away we left; singing weee weee weee, all the way home.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a big pot of Sunday Red Gravy/ sauce, with sausage, meatballs, and pork ribs. We had it with angel hair spaghetti. It was great. The really cold weather we have now... 24 degrees now as I write, really gives us an appetite. Buffalo NY got hammered with 6 feet of snow Friday, and yesterday.

Son Jimmy and DIL, are in FLA. and will leave from Miami at 6PM. DIL had meetings all week for her company where she works for here in NJ. Jimmy joined her a couple days.
I told them, Make sure they have a coat or jacket.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I think the best lamb shank I have ever had. Browned the shank, then I sautéed about half of a big sweet onion, some mushrooms, garlic. Added rosemary, thyme, lots of black pepper, salt, and some Garam Masala. Then put the shank back in the pot, added about a cup and a half of beef broth, and a bunch of carrots. Covered the pot and put in the oven. About an hour later I threw in two potatoes cut in half. Enough for lunch tomorrow too."

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_20_18

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Not a clue for what to cook??? Maybe breakfast for dinner.
It's worse thinking what to eat / make for dinner with the time change.
It gets dark so soon, it puts a hold on my pea brain for sure. No

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did burgers under the broiler of the toaster oven tonight.....Dane was working with Patrick today so when he got home I didn't want to ask (or wait) for charcoal to fire up. Simply had some crispy crowns and homemade slaw to go with them.....HE had his on a toasted bun with cheese & onion.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_21_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took Lyn to her doctor's appointment in Orlando today. She has 'trigger thumb' ~ had it before and he injected in the joint and the symptoms went away.....until they came back. Plus she has numbness in her fingertips (getting old sucks!). After a non-invasive exam he determined her to have carpal tunnel in the same hand as her trigger thumb. So they discussed the options and she decided the best solution for her is to have surgery after the first of the year to cure both problems. Her doc was pretty nice about explaining the injections might be a 'band-aid' fix but the problem will probably return. Surgery takes about 1/2 hour, takes 2-3 weeks recovery but then both will be cured.

And he suggested since she doesn't have any pain with either, just the symptoms that are bothersome but not bad, waiting until after the first of the year would be a good choice.

So, since we were done with the doc with no painful treatment, we decided to go to lunch and fit in a bit of shopping.

We went to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Home Goods and The Container Store. We were going to try a 'new to us' restaurant but when we got to it we found they were closed today.....so we ended up back at Seasons 52 and that's always good.

When I got home HE was making some eggs for his supper so a little while later I ended up making scrambled eggs for myself. And that was supper.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Had a burger and a piece of buckwheat cake.
This was Dr day for Tina today....DD baked butter cookies and sliced apples for pies. It was a crazy day. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 1450907917

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight… nothing fancy. Was called in for an extra shift at the thrift store today. Nothing planned for dinner, but I found their salmon fillets at Costco a while ago, so I did one in the oven with some potato chunks and also chunks of delicata squash. Love that squash because the peel is soft enough to eat when cooked. Lots of fiber, and great for a lazy cook!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_22_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

A few years ago I saw Alton Brown recommend adding a tiny pinch of salt to the top of the coffee grounds when making a pot of coffee. He went into some long and scientific speel about the salt reacting and tannins ~ ~ yada, yada, yada.....

Well, I gave it a try and found the coffee WAS much better with the salt added.

I forgot to set up my coffee maker last night before I went to bed (I have a pot that starts at a set time and is ready when I get out of bed). So, in my foggy morning haze I made the coffee and forgot to add the salt.

Ewwww!

My coffee is bitter and I'll most likely finish just two cups and dump the rest.

Alton's science is pretty cool to know ~ even if I don't understand it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Most of my prep is done for tomorrow.

Pies are made. Chicken is slathered with seasoned & herbed butter under the skin and drying out in the refrigerator (I do like crispy skin). The dressing is in the refrigerator with the sauteed vegetables so some of the flavor soaks into the bread cubes ~ tomorrow I'll add the stock (which is simmering now) with an egg and plop it all in a casserole dish to bake along side the chicken for about 30 minutes.

I looked in the freezer for something for supper. First thing I spied was chicken breast.

NOPE! If I'm planning on a roast chicken for tomorrow I do not want chicken tonight.

So, I shuffled stuff around and found the hot dogs. Perfect. And as long as I was cooking I figured I might as well boil some cubed potatoes and make a dish of potato salad.....along with some hard cooked eggs. So, that's done and cooling in the refrigerator.

I'd like to have the hot dogs charcoal grilled but it hardly seems worth it to drag out the grill for 3 hot dogs. So I'll probably just char them up as best I can in the toaster oven. The container of Jimmy's chili sauce is thawing so I know Dane will be happy. All I have left to do is chop some onion and supper's done.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm tired and ready to relax.....supper was just right tonight.

Chili Dogs with Potato Salad and a preview of tomorrow's dessert.....pumpkin pie (because there's too much to eat in just one day) I whip my cream for the pie using Grandma's egg beater ~ so much better than Redi Whip.....

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_23_16

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_23_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Chicken thighs; sweet potato; and tomato,pepper, cucumber and green onion salad."

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 4 11_23_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are still up; prepping and cooking for tomorrows dinner. 14 people, and 2 children.
I had a PB&J with peach jam for supper. We are all full just from looking and sniffing
the food for tomorrow.

Cookin Lore

Happy THanksgoving to All! I'm decorating our lobbies for Christmas today. (With lots of help)

NormM

NormM

Happy Thanksgiving. This year Thanksgiving it at my nieces house. I will cook an after Thanksgiving meal tomorrow for "leftovers"

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

(Funny thing, Norm, I was just thinking as I was finishing up my prep last night that YOU would be doing your meal prep on Friday! Great Tradition!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum