Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start !

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My back is much better now, but not 100% heal yet, especially when I get up from my bed, I can feel my lower back muscles tightened, it takes me a few seconds to be able to stand up and walk to the bathroom and a few more minutes to ease the pain, I have quit taking my painkiller pills, I do easy stretching and light exercises. I can squat without pain now.

So I did not cook much, I cook everyday, just easy cooking, without much preps, mostly mix and put them in the oven, D did the dishes and clean up. I cooked porkchops twice this last 2 weeks and made several meals with them. I seasoned them and baked them in the oven, made some gravy with the fat and sauce, yesterday I cooked some quick grits to go with the last chops, they love it, Today I browned some sausage and mixed with the leftover grits to make a pan of casserole ( with lots of cheese ) and I want to serve it with fresh salad. I still have some sausage left, I'm thinking to make it with gravy and serve with some store bought biscuit for their dinner tomorrow. As for me I'm going to cook some easy spicy shrimps

My spicy shrimps for tomorrow ( I cooked some last week and will cook it again, it's easy and I have my basil chili sauce ready in my freezer )

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 31390010
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 31392710

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I had everything on hand to make a pot of sausage & kale soup....it's like a vegetable soup with the flavoring from smoked sausage.  I had leeks, carrots, celery, whole canned tomatoes (that I hand crushed), potatoes & cannelinni beans, along with the kale that gets put in after the vegetables are tender.

Of course, the pot I was using was almost full when I turned to the cabinet to get a LARGER pot....just as Dane came by to tell me I hadn't left enough room for the kale.....

Then he saw the taller pot in my hand and just said, "Ahhhh, I see......"   Hahahahahaha

I can remember my dad making vegetable soup with me.  First we had to go pull all the last of the vegetables out of the garden before the freeze killed them.  We always started with a good sized pot and ended up with that one and a CANNING KETTLE before we were finished.  He always snuck in some dried barley....way too much dried barley to the vegetable soup which he liked but no one else did.  And he would never suggest one of us stand by to keep stirring and the barley would get scorched on the bottom of the pot.  Yuck!  It ruined the entire pot of soup.  But, of course, HE still finished it and put it into containers in the freezer.  I swear, he must have been the only one to eat that vile stuff......all winter long.

Pot of soup cooling in ice water in the sink.....ready to package up for the freezer.  Now I have to go rearrange and make room there!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_06_13

I'm going to cook some, they like to eat soup for their supper

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's so good to have you back, Imelda.

I wish there was some advice I could give for your back ache but I don't have much except maybe the occasional use of an electric heating pad for short periods of time to help relax the muscles.....

I hope you feel better soon!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Tina is out galivanting with the granddaughter, so she will bring me something.
I know not what though???......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The pork tenderloin was moist and tasty.....baked the butternut squash and had some lima beans (HIS favorite!).

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_09_17

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina and GD stopped to eat at Red Lobster.
They brought me breaded shrimp and potato and coleslaw. It was good.
It cost $78.00 for that, plus their lunch. Whew!... No desserts either... November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 1f62c

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

After no damaging storms for the last few years it's strange to have two hurricanes in as many months.....Fortunately for us it's just been some rain and windy conditions ~ no damages to speak of. But both coasts have been hit hard and it's terrible with all the beach erosion taking place. But, I'm sure the people in those areas will hang in there and bring things back as beautiful as it's always been.

That said, it's a cool, rainy day and I had to come up with an idea for supper.

I looked in the pantry for some inspiration ~ a box of Stove Top Stuffing caught my eye! You all know I'm a big fan of Stove Top AND Rice-a-Roni (that San Francisco treat....) LOL.

So, I'll make the stuffing mix according to the package directions. I have a chicken breast thawing....I'll cut it into bite size pieces and mix it with some canned cream of chicken soup (sounds retro, huh?) and a bit of sour cream. I'll bake it in a casserole ~ chicken & sauce, topped with the stuffing ~ until it's all bubbly and brown.....Heck, I may even pull that partial can of French's Fried Onions out of the freezer and use them to top the whole thing off!

Glad I have a plan for a dreary, damp & cool day.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

As I was assembling the ingredients for my chicken casserole supper I was reminded of a food program I watched a couple years ago with Michael Symon (a Cleveland chef & restaurant owner) where he was talking about his family and their traditional Thanksgiving.

He explained his grandfather, Pap, always made a cornbread casserole ~ the one with Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, canned corn, canned creamed corn, sour cream & eggs (yes, we've ALL made it or eaten it at one time or another.....). He said after his Pap passed away he decided to make the cornbread casserole as a chef should ~ he's classically trained, afterall, and would certainly elevate the dish by using fresh corn and making his own creamed corn, making the cornbread from scratch, etc., etc.

He said he made it and served it and NO ONE liked it.

and then he went back to making it the same way his Pap did ~ Jiffy Mix and all ~ and everyone ate it and loved it and commented how great it was.

So, I'm not going to always 'dis' the use of canned creamed soups. Some dishes from my memory just aren't right without it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a big pot of veggie soup; " everything it but the kitchen sink!"
I had it for lunch....and that will be the end of that, for me.
I'm not one for leftovers; unless it is a certain thing such as chicken soup IF , and that's a BIG IF, I am sick with a cold, or sinusitis. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 1297124391 Tina still can't cook for two (2).
Thank goodness for two neighbors that love soups of all kinds.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hear you, Jimmy. And I completely understand Ms. Tina and her inability to cook for two! That has to be the hardest thing I've ever had to adjust to ~ that and the fact that I no longer have a full size upright freezer to stash all the leftovers and excess of soups & casseroles I make.

You KNOW my feelings on leftovers ~ I have to 'sneak' a lot of stuff in the trash can so it isn't seen because I just can't face rewarmed meals that were just 'so-so' to begin with.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I didn't go with my 'gut' and add some seasoning to the chicken with canned soup & sour cream.....my bad! It was cooked but it was bland. The best part of the casserole was the topping of French's Fried Onions that I put on at the last minute to crisp up. Man, I love those! LOL

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_20

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_21

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_22

bethk

bethk
Admin

This afternoon I was sitting in our outside entryway and noticed my little Meyer Lemon Tree has some blooms on it ~ It's NOVEMBER!!! I'll never get used to the strange growing season here in Florida. My lemons have just started to turn yellow....they'll be ready to pick by mid December.

Now I have to figure out what to make (besides using the juice for margaritas....). I'm sure some lemon scones are in my future but I have SO MANY LEMONS that will need to be picked. I'll probably juice them and freeze the juice like I usually do.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_23

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_24

NormM

NormM

While going through the freezer, I found two packages of Korean pork. One was kalbi flavored, the other was bulgogi, so that was dinner.November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 Image-21
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 Image-22

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This was the nice tv dinner I enjoyed tonight.

The brownie is missing because it fell on the floor. Yuuk! germy germy....on the floor!
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 Img_2310

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim stopped by just as I was starting to make some sloppy joes for supper.

Guess who's coming for dinner???

Hahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I suppose IF you had to go out to restaurants 95% of the time then an invitation for ordinary old Sloppy Joes might sound good.

Neighbor Jim enjoyed this simple meal as much as he does a steak.....

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_11_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Burgers with cheese and raw onion rings. Tina had a piece of banana cake. She had stomach issues today.
Dessert was a molasses cookie for me, and tums for Tina.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I took a small bag out of my freezer, had no idea what it was. So, I figured ‘surprise dinner’. Well, what a wonderful surprise it was. Cajun catfish, one of my absolute favs. And, I have a new kitchen toy, a crinkle slicer, so I did them in the oven, steamed some broccoli. Great dinner!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_11_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to the store today to check for what meats were on sale. Slim pickin's..... The turkey was on sale but since it's just going to be the two of us I'm planning on a chicken.....mainly because I don't like turkey. Never have but always cooked one because everyone expected it.

I ended up getting a large pack of chicken wings on sale ~ although it really wasn't much of a sale price. But it was the only thing that looked good to me.

So, tonight was Alton Brown chicken wings (steamed, air cooled & convection baked until crispy). Everytime I make them and I'm nibbling on the incinerated wing tips I think of you, Jimmy, and know you would love 'em! (of course, I'd make yours without the spicy sauce)

I wanted my roasted broccoli to be 'crispy', too and I got it just right ~ it looks burned but it really wasn't ~ it was a little crispy and tasted almost nutty. We both really liked the flavor (olive oil, s&p and some red pepper flakes)

the slaw was some hand sliced cabbage/carrot with whatever dressing I had made in the refrigerator ~ all purpose dressing!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_12_14

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_12_15

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:This afternoon I was sitting in our outside entryway and noticed my little Meyer Lemon Tree has some blooms on it ~ It's NOVEMBER!!!  I'll never get used to the strange growing season here in Florida.  My lemons have just started to turn yellow....they'll be ready to pick by mid December.

Now I have to figure out what to make (besides using the juice for margaritas....).  I'm sure some lemon scones are in my future but I have SO MANY LEMONS that will need to be picked.  I'll probably juice them and freeze the juice like I usually do.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_23

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_10_24

I have a bazillion lemon ideas if you want some. My friend gave me over 225 lbs of lemons from her tree
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 73829b10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made todays supper, late last night. I had a London broil in the freezer, and I made
stir fried beef with peppers and onions. I Braised that till it formed a natural sauce; and then I added
a splash of teriyaki sauce, and minced garlic at the end of cooking it.
We will have that over egg noodles. All I have to do is heat it up and cook the noodles.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a loss YET AGAIN in my ability to come up with an idea of what to fix for supper.

I hate that I have to come up with an idea

EVERY

DAY

FOR

THE

REST

OF

MY

LIFE........

So, I suggested to HIM that he should have an idea ~ any idea.....PLEASE!

He just said, "Just fix SOMETHING for supper....." (( Ohhhh, that's easy for HIM to come up with ))

A little while later he mentioned he just got a text from Mission BBQ about having smoked turkeys available for early ordering for Thanksgiving.....

So, tonight we're having carry out from Mission BBQ.

NOT turkey because I don't like turkey ~ but I will enjoy a nice bit of smoked beef brisket and he'll probably want the smoked chicken.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll think of something I want to fix for supper......

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Just basically a clear out the veggie drawer in my fridge. I am leaving in the morning for a two day spa getaway with friend Linda. Going to a fabulous place, Ste. Anne’s Spain grafting Ontario for a couple of days of luxury and pampering! And great food."

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_13_10

Good looking salad, Lore! Be sure to take pics to share of your travel food! Have fun!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got the smoked brisket ~ HE got the smoked half chicken. Mine was excellent (but WAY too much....only put half on my plate and ended up putting half of that back to save for a lunch. HE said his chicken wasn't cooked as well as usual and I don't think he enjoyed it much. But the sides were plentiful ~ I ordered single size of collard greens, green beans w/bacon & French fries. The meat comes with a chunk of cornbread.....

Whew! I'm ready to EXPLODE !!!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 11_13_15

NormM

NormM

Charlie and a friend saw some make Beef Rendang, a Malaysian recipe and thought it sounded really good and asked me if I would make it. I had to go to 4 stores to find everything and still had to substitute a couple of things. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 2 Image17

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum