Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start !

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie and a friend saw some make Beef Rendang, a Malaysian recipe and thought it sounded really good and asked me if I would make it.  I had to go to 4 stores to find everything and still had to substitute a couple of things.

Norm, your beef looks good to me. I think Imelda makes that dish ~ maybe she has some ideas for you on sourcing ingredients. Of course, it could be that she grows half the things needed herself, in which case I'll assume you're out of luck until next spring! LOL

NormM and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Off subject, I know, but I wanted to share.

I got a call from our DD#2 that the house we sold in Ohio is back on the market. Today the 'new' pictures were available for viewing online.

She said, "She RUINED it!!!" in reference to the changes the new owner made.

Quite honestly, since the check cleared from our sale, I don't care......Hahahahahaha!

It is interesting what others view as acceptable when listing a house for sale as opposed to your own thoughts ~ I took the fact that she has way too much stuff sitting on the floors in the dining room and bedrooms as "There isn't enough storage in this little house"......which, quite honestly, I would agree with. Plus, she has too much STUFF......

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE came up with an idea for supper.  I said I was going to go to Fresh Market because DD#1 had recommended I pick up some Snap Dragon New York apples ~ she said they were really good.  I haven't tried them yet but I did find them at my local store.  She's usually got the same taste as I do so I usually go with her recommendations.  Dane suggested I pick up some Irish Bangers from the store ~ something they only have on occasion.  I said I'd look when I was there.

Well, HE was in luck!  They had 3 Irish Banger sausages in the case and I bought them all.  I had forgotten how large they are (we have one left over for HIS lunch later this week).  We really like them because they taste much like a bratwurst but without the garlic.

I brown them in my little cast iron skillet and then add some chopped onions & red grapes ~ YUP, RED GRAPES.....you heard me correctly and then finish them off in the toaster oven for 30 minutes or so.  Something I learned on Barefoot Contessa.  The grapes cook down and make a sort of sauce that cuts the fat in the sausages when you cut them.  It's really good.

I thawed a container of mashed potatoes to heat up and made some sauteed cabbage for a vegetable.  I couldn't finish all my meal but I'll waddle around the courtyard for an hour or so and feel better soon.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 11_14_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had calamari with ziti and marinara sauce. DD had a seafood platter over linguini. Tina had some salad, and a piece of lava cake.
We tried the food from a new pizza joint in town. It was pretty good....
Now, here it is 1:30 am and I'm ready for bed.......that is after a snack.
I'm thinking a waffle that I made a day or two ago, and they are frozen. Pop into the toaster, and done!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out 4 of my Cuban Empanadas today.  I wrap them individually and that way I can thaw just what we need.  We usually each eat two.....well, unless I make rice & beans and FABULOUS tostones (twice fried green plantains).  We have two left that will get reheated on a rack in the toaster oven at a later date....

I had gone to the store to get some Cuban black beans because I didn't have any of the ones from Trader Joes that we like.  There wasn't anything similar but I ended up with a can of Caribbean seasoned beans ~ ingredients listed tomato sauce & peppers.  It was almost sweet tasting ~ NOT what I wanted.  But, with a few shakes of the Crystal Hot Sauce, they were just OK.  The store DID have some nice green plantains so I got a couple of those. The tostones were delicious.  I don't make them often but they are (as HE mentioned) BETTER THAN FRENCH FRIES!  Woo Hoo!!!!  A compliment!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 11_15_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had chili that Tina made. It was good. Tina did a great job!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 Img_2311

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Jimmy ~ just the way we like it! (lots of raw onions!!)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Looks good, Jimmy ~ just the way we like it!  (lots of raw onions!!)

Yeah Beth..... We are great fans of the onion family, but we have noticed
that the onions and even garlic do not taste oniony any more.
We live in an area that is surrounded with farms and growers that sell local
produce of fruits and vegetables, and they say to buy the smaller onions.
One farmer said to Tina, that they are genetically altered so that they are not so strong and make tears and bad breath when eaten raw....Sad

Another thing is, we don't know what they did to potatoes, but they surely don't taste like a good earthy potato any more. We try and buy potatoes grown in Canada; they seem more tasty, and the texture is better.
I think celery too, and I believe you had mentioned that in a previous post!
Tina picked up a celery that was all green yesterday, and we were like so happy to see the inside bunch with green stalks.... Smile

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim wants to go out for Italian tonight.....he just remembered a restaurant he went to before his wife passed away.

I hope I remember to take pictures......

bethk

bethk
Admin

(( sigh ))

I forgot to take pictures........

But the bread was the best I've had in ages!

Fresh baked in their wood fired oven.

YUM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina took out chicken breasts from the freezer before her Dr's appointment
today. She was going to bake them. Not for me. She and DD ate them.
For me, I grabbed a 1/2 of one of them; pulled of the skin, and put on a pot of carrots and celery,
and onions, and made a small pot of chicken soup. I added 5 spears of garlic, and a small tomato quartered. I ate two bowls. DD and Tina ate none....but they did pick at the roasted chicken.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some cut up pork thawed for supper......Sweet & Sour Pork over White Rice.

I called Jim (it's a meal he's had here before) and he said, YES! to the invitation.

He goes out for the majority of his meals ~ other than what we invite him to join us for or if he decides to make a bowl of breakfast cereal because he doesn't want to deal with the crowds.  I always feel bad when I'm making something with any spice at all because he can't eat it without getting ill.  So, even though we just had supper with him last night at a restaurant, he's coming here for home cooked ordinary food tonight.

And he'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner I grilled a bunch of vegetables, onion, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms and zucchini done on my indoor grill; then I put a rainbow trout fillet on the same grill. Delish!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 11_17_14

bethk, NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can't believe it......I served Jim, Dane filled his plate & I filled MY plate.

And I NEVER TOOK A PICTURE....!!!

What the heck? I even went to my phone to move my dinner picture to my email.....

I AM GOING CRAZY!!!

So, you've seen it before ~ it's the same as before.

Sweet & Sour Pork with onions, carrots, celery, red bell peppers & pineapple tidbits over white rice.

Hahahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I can't believe it......I served Jim, Dane filled his plate & I filled MY plate.

And I NEVER TOOK A PICTURE....!!!

What the heck?  I even went to my phone to move my dinner picture to my email.....

I AM GOING CRAZY!!!

So, you've seen it before ~ it's the same as before.

Sweet & Sour Pork with onions, carrots, celery, red bell peppers & pineapple tidbits over white rice.

Hahahahahaha!

Now, I don't feel bad..... Tina yelled...quick, quick, turn on channel 29,
and I grab the remote, pushed 29, and the tv didn;t change to the channel.
I'm like what the heck...... now what @#$%^&*.... everything is breaking in this house. Tina is yelling, did juh change the channel yet!!!.....
I look at the remote, and I just blurted... ; bull crap!!...This Is The Portable
Telephone!!!!!===================I'M LOOSING IT!

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Something a little different today, Poulet au Vinaigre November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 F7c35910

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Something a little different today, Poulet au Vinaigre [url=https://servimg.com/view/20183812/112]

Is that similar to June's Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce?  She gave us that recipe years ago when we were on the cooking.com forum site.....

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
one whole chicken (about 4 pounds) cut into 10 pieces—you could use all breasts or all leg portions if you prefer, but the meat should be on the bone)
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 cup top quality red wine vinegar (I use Heinz!)
1 cup crème fraîche (or heavy cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized)
finely chopped fresh (flat-leaf) parsley for garnish

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Charlie and a friend saw some make Beef Rendang, a Malaysian recipe and thought it sounded really good and asked me if I would make it.  I had to go to 4 stores to find everything and still had to substitute a couple of things. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 Image17

Looks good Norm. There are so many ways to cook rendang, all of them were claimed authentic, depends on the region. Both Indonesia and Malaysia claim the origin of Rendang. This dish is widely accepted as having originated from the ethnic Minangkabau people, also known as ‘Minang,’ from West Sumatra, Indonesia.

I have some packets of rendang seasoning, I can mail you some if you want to try the Indonesian Rendang, all you need is add some coconut powder and chili sauce if you like more heat.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

Thanks Imelda, I would like to try one with no substituted ingredients.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since Judy came up with a pic of her Chicken in Vinegar meal and I revisited June's Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce recipe, GUESS WHAT'S FOR SUPPER???

LOL

But the recipe will be cut back a bunch since I'm only using two chicken thighs ~ planning on using my little 8" cast iron skillet.  I knew I had a shallot but I did make a run to the store for some Creme Fraiche ~ something I use occasionally but didn't have on hand.  June's recipe states you can use heavy cream (preferably NOT ultra pasteurized) but that's all I had.  So, a bit extra creme fraiche is just a treat to have in the refrigerator before Thanksgiving.

I think I remember making a roast chicken that used creme fraiche basted on the outside of the bird ~ I guess I'll have to take a look through my recipes to see if I can find the recipe to refresh my memory.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was an overwhelming success!  I can't remember the last time I saw HIM add a second spoonful of sauce to his plate ~ He actually said, "Well, you can definitely make this again!"

The chicken was delicious with the sauce.  I'm so glad I made the trip to the store to get the creme fraiche ~ it emulsifies so nicely and doesn't break the sauce at all.  And the flavor & creaminess is so good.  The other hit was the fingerling potatoes ~ sliced in half and cooked in a non-stick skillet with just a bit of chicken stock to steam them and then they browned in the pan.  I didn't realize they were going to be purple ~ I thought they were just ordinary red fingerling potatoes with white flesh.  They were creamy and really had great potato flavor.

I followed June's instructions to the 'T' and only altered a teeny bit by cutting along the bone on the raw thighs as My Man Jacques teaches so the meat cooks more evenly.  And when they were browned I put them into my toaster oven to continue cooking on convection while I made the sauce in the skillet because I don't think you can overcook a chicken thigh and I want mine really well done.  But that's just me (and Jimmy.....LOL).

This is definitely a dish I would serve to guests ~ and I would stick with all thighs because they are so very forgiving when you cook them.

(Many thanks to Judy for reminding me of this recipe!)

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 11_18_14

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 11_18_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Something a little different today, Poulet au Vinaigre [url=https://servimg.com/view/20183812/112]

Is that similar to June's Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce?  She gave us that recipe years ago when we were on the cooking.com forum site.....

one whole chicken (about 4 pounds) cut into 10 pieces—you could use all breasts or all leg portions if you prefer, but the meat should be on the bone)

Similar but hers has creme fraiche and mine didn’t. I think I would like it a lot more that way

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:

[/size]

Similar but hers has creme fraiche and mine didn’t. I think I would like it a lot more that way [/quote]

I posted her recipe in the meat recipes thread if you'd like the entire recipe as June shared it.....

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Supper was an overwhelming success!  I can't remember the last time I saw HIM add a second spoonful of sauce to his plate ~ He actually said, "Well, you can definitely make this again!"

The chicken was delicious with the sauce.  I'm so glad I made the trip to the store to get the creme fraiche ~ it emulsifies so nicely and doesn't break the sauce at all.  And the flavor & creaminess is so good.  The other hit was the fingerling potatoes ~ sliced in half and cooked in a non-stick skillet with just a bit of chicken stock to steam them and then they browned in the pan.  I didn't realize they were going to be purple ~ I thought they were just ordinary red fingerling potatoes with white flesh.  They were creamy and really had great potato flavor.

I followed June's instructions to the 'T' and only altered a teeny bit by cutting along the bone on the raw thighs as My Man Jacques teaches so the meat cooks more evenly.  And when they were browned I put them into my toaster oven to continue cooking on convection while I made the sauce in the skillet because I don't think you can overcook a chicken thigh and I want mine really well done.  But that's just me (and Jimmy.....LOL).

This is definitely a dish I would serve to guests ~ and I would stick with all thighs because they are so very forgiving when you cook them.

(Many thanks to Judy for reminding me of this recipe!)

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 3 11_18_15

The sauce and chicken thigh look delicious, I'll try it too, too bad my MiL does not like eating dark meat, so I'll some chicken breast or even cook fish or pork chop with this sauce

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

The sauce and chicken thigh  look delicious, I'll try it too, too bad my MiL does not like eating dark meat, so I'll some chicken breast or even cook fish or pork chop with this sauce

Just be sure to have the vent on HIGH when reducing the vinegar ~ even with the vent on I was caught by surprise and coughed from the fumes!  LOL

I made sure to reduce the vinegar by at least half before adding the creme fraiche, which really makes it very mild and velvety.  And you do need the fond from cooking the meat in the pan ~ it adds a lot of flavor and helps with the color of the finished sauce.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum