Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start !

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hope everyone is as full as I am! Actually, I hope you're NOT as full as I am because I think I'm going to explode!

Hahahahahaha!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_24_21

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

here is my plate, I was stuffed too

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 31695910

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I forgot what I put the leftover chicken & carcass into last night ~ I stood in front of the open refrigerator and looked and looked.....I THOUGHT I had put it into a clear, quart deli container. But the quart deli containers held gravy and dressing.....

I looked again. I moved stuff around. And right there next to my hand was a red 'lock-lock' bowl. It had the chicken.

Man, I think I'm losing it!

But I got to work and tore down the bits of meat, putting the skin, overcooked (and hard) parts of the chicken leg and whatever, including all the chopped herbs & quartered onion I had stuffed inside the bird before I roasted it all into a sauce pot.

It's going to simmer away for probably two or three hours ~ or until I'm really tired of smelling it.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_25_22

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cook a pot of turkey soup, I added 1 cup of rice, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onion and ginger, it will last a few days for them to enjoy

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm pooped from two days of cooking.....

Yup, seems age is catching up with me. Plus I had to do some stuff for the neighborhood social club today.

So we're having Chinese carry-out tonight. I'll probably order one thing and we'll split it or HE will decide he wants scrambled eggs.....whatever.

NormM

NormM

Today was the dinner after Thankgiving thanksgiving.November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Img_0311

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

All was good, but now we go back to normal. I had an egg and cheese on an toasted English muffin. Tonight, the kids came back, and we had fried dough from those frozen bread. The kids eat them with sugar, or honey. I eat them plain or with an anchovy in the center.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Img_2312
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Img_2313
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Img_2314

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love that your mashed potato cakes morphed back into 'mashed potatoes'!

DD#2 called me this year and asked for my 'Twice Baked Potato Casserole' recipe, as she calls it. Actually, it's just my mashed potato casserole but she can call it whatever she wants. Maybe it's because, long, long ago, I made baked potatoes, scooped them out, mashed the potato and refilled ~ TOO MUCH WORK! Now it's just mashed potatoes, stewed onions (with lots of butter & s&p), sour cream and cream cheese. I like them because with the added protein they can be made ahead and reheated in the oven without tasting like leftover potatoes.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've started a pot of marinara......I use a jar of Trader Joe's Organic Marinara and go from there......a chopped onion, some chopped celery, a grated carrot, some red pepper flakes, a can of San Marzano whole tomatoes that I hand core and smush (feels great! LOL) and a few cans of V-8....a couple big spigs of basil that I wash & leave whole while it's simmering so I can remove it when it's black & kind of slimy looking. I like the flavor of the basil but not to leave it in the pot.

I'll have probably 3 jars of sauce to stick into the freezer and enough for supper to spoon over some roasted spaghetti squash.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've started a pot of marinara......I use a jar of Trader Joe's Organic Marinara and go from there......a chopped onion, some chopped celery, a grated carrot, some red pepper flakes, a can of San Marzano whole tomatoes that I hand core and smush (feels great!  LOL) and a few cans of V-8....a couple big spigs of basil that I wash & leave whole while it's simmering so I can remove it when it's black & kind of slimy looking.  I like the flavor of the basil but not to leave it in the pot.

I'll have probably 3 jars of sauce to stick into the freezer and enough for supper to spoon over some roasted spaghetti squash.

Now..... That's a great sounding spaghetti sauce Beth.
Tina uses V8 juice also. If, and that's IF the sauce is a little bitter, she will use use a little baking soda, a little at the time. That neutralizes the acid in the tomatoes by adding the Base ( Baking Soda ).
I remember in science class lessons, that Acids Plus Bases turn to Sweetness.
I love basil but Tina cannot tolerate that at all for some reason????
Rolling Eyes

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I started my marinara with 3 of my 6 oz. patties of ground chuck. They're great for burgers or for using them, once they're thawed, for any dish you want to make. I added my vegetables, one jar of TJ's Organic Marinara Sauce and 2 cans of V-8 (one original and one spicy)...oh, and some seasonings. I ended up with 3 jars to put into the freezer after they cool in the refrigerator tonight and enough for the two of us for supper.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_26_20

I lucked out with a ripe spaghetti squash ~ it had great flavor and wasn't watery at all. Of course, I had mine half with marinara and half with butter and s&p ~ just the way I like it! He had both of his servings with the marinara and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_26_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking for me tonight.....

I just told HIM I wanted to go to one of the country club restaurants.

He asked, "Why?"

And I said, "BECAUSE I'M SICK OF COOKING !"

And THAT was the end of the discussion......

Hahahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It is split pea soup that Tina made. I mixed ground pork and veal for tomorrows
supper of city chicken.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made Lasagna today. The blog site is acting up. I can't get it to show any better. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Img_0312
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Image-24

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made Lasagna today.  The blog site is acting up.  I can't get it to show any better. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Img_0312
November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 Image-24

Looks really good Norm. We had lasagna, but Tina made a new brand of
noodles, and I didn't like them. They were the no boil supermarket brand.
I'm old school, and use the boil wide kind.

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Holy Moly! I just bought some lasagna noodles. Not sure when I'm going to make it but to see a couple posts about lasagna makes me think we're all on the same wave length!

LOL

NormM

NormM

I bought some new lasagna noodles too. They were flat with no ridges and wider. They were OK but too thin. I'll go back to using the regular kind.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Norm, I know what you're saying....

I picked up a box of the Mueller's dry lasagna noodles, looking only for a box that didn't look like it had been crushed and didn't sound like too much had broken off.

The only thing I've changed about my lasagna making is now I make it in 9 X 4 loaf pans (bread pans) so it's not too much for two.  I just can't use the 11 X 13 pans anymore ~ and another big plus.... the bread loaf pans have taller sides so I can get more layers without overflowing in the oven (usually...).

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a 'half' chuck roast thawed in the refrigerator for supper. I'm getting to like the idea of a smaller pot roast, even though it IS one meal I don't mind having leftovers from. Mainly because I de-fat and shred the beef to make hot roast beef sandwiches later in the week, a completely different meal so it's not like the 'same-old-same-old'.

Tomorrow we're having a neighborhood 'Patio Party' so we'll be eating there. Unfortunately, I have my annual stress test scheduled (no big deal) so I won't be there for the set-up. So, I guess I'm gonna be on the clean-up committee.

I know the hosts are supplying sloppy joes so I tried to come up with something to take that wasn't a main dish. I thought about it an decided on a bowl of spinach dip with some pumpernickel bread. How's that for a blast from the 1970's! But I needed something I could make today and drop off with Darlene to take for me in case I don't get out of my test too late for the start.

We're hoping there's a good turnout ~ our weather is absolutely beautiful. But it's been difficult to get people back into the neighborhood party mode ever since the Covid shut-downs happened over 2 years ago. But I haven't heard of anyone who's not feeling well so I'm hoping they all show up.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm finishing up the last of my carry-out Moo Shu Pork today. They supply the order with the thin pancakes (that I love) AND a small container of sticky rice, which seldom gets used.

So I just put the leftover rice in a sauce pot with milk and a bit of sugar, as well as a small box of raisins, to simmer for a bit to make some rice pudding. Man, it's been YEARS since I've made that. My girls use to love it, along with tapioca pudding. I just added some more milk as it was absorbed really quick. I like it pretty loose ~ runny, even, because it thickens as it cools. Just before I finish it off I'll beat up a whole egg in a bit more milk and add a splash of vanilla.

And even though we don't have sweets or desserts often, this is something I'll bet HE has a couple helpings of.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made city chicken..... all breaded and ready to fry at 11:30 last night.
Green beans, and a salad of iceberg lettuce ( $3.89 for a small head ).
That's my new way of cooking ~ for the next days seating. It takes the boredom out of
cooking, which works sometime.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a snack of the spinach dip on pumpernickel bread.....OMG ~ it's been years since I've made it. and I remember now WHY I don't make it......

IT'S SOOOOOOO GOOD!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_28_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Stir fry of beautiful, delish chanterelles, onion, red And orange peppers, shrimp and scallops on noodles. Picture before and after cream added!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_28_18

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_28_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim ended up coming for supper....I let him & Dane have the leftover mashed potatoes (I truly don't need them on MY hips!). The 'just-picked-this-morning' green beans were fabulous! The pot roast was pretty darn tasty, too.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! - Page 5 11_28_20

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight will be a supper of the leftover pot roast & gravy morphed into hot roast beef sandwiches ~ the only way I like leftovers.....when they're NOT identical to the original meal!

Yesterday was a full day for me. I had my annual stress test, nothing serious but just a long appointment to get it done.

Then in the afternoon we had our first of the season "Patio Party", a neighborhood pot luck. We haven't had a busy patio party in over 2 years because of the Covid restrictions. But we had about 35 turn out for this one. There was lots of food and lots of conversation....a really nice time. As Social Club president I'm hoping it is a sign that we'll get back to neighborhood get togethers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum