Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover lasagna that Tina had at an Italian deli / pizza joint while treating the kids
with new shoes today.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

the first thing I saw in the freezer this morning (during my quest for something to thaw for supper) was the package of breakfast sausage patties I had put in there. So, suddenly I didn't care about supper! I wanted a sausage/egg muffin. Dane had just got back from playing golf so I asked him if he wanted a breakfast sandwich, too ~ and his eyes lit up at the suggestion.

So, I thawed them for a couple minutes in the microwave and then browned them up on my cast iron griddle. I don't know why, but I decided I also wanted a bit of fried onion on mine so I put a thin slice of onion on the griddle, too.

Well, let me tell you ~ breakfast sandwiches really hit the spot this morning! HIS got a bit of thin shaved cheddar (used the block cheddar and my OXO carrot peeler for super thin slices) and I just layered them on the hot sausage patties (two for each of us....why stop with one?). My sausage got topped with the softened onion.

Then a couple eggs got cooked and I assembled sandwiches on toasted, buttered English muffins.

In my haste to take a bite I forgot all about taking a picture.....I'm such a glutton!

So, you'll just have to imagine how wonderful those breakfast sandwiches looked.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:the first thing I saw in the freezer this morning (during my quest for something to thaw for supper) was the package of breakfast sausage patties I had put in there.  So, suddenly I didn't care about supper!  I wanted a sausage/egg muffin.  Dane had just got back from playing golf so I asked him if he wanted a breakfast sandwich, too ~ and his eyes lit up at the suggestion.

So, I thawed them for a couple minutes in the microwave and then browned them up on my cast iron griddle.  I don't know why, but I decided I also wanted a bit of fried onion on mine so I put a thin slice of onion on the griddle, too.

Well, let me tell you ~ breakfast sandwiches really hit the spot this morning!  HIS got a bit of thin shaved cheddar (used the block cheddar and my OXO carrot peeler for super thin slices) and I just layered them on the hot sausage patties (two for each of us....why stop with one?).  My sausage got topped with the softened onion.

Then a couple eggs got cooked and I assembled sandwiches on toasted, buttered English muffins.

In my haste to take a bite I forgot all about taking a picture.....I'm such a glutton!

So, you'll just have to imagine how wonderful those breakfast sandwiches looked.....

Yum Yum Beth. I most certainly know what that looks like. I love the sausage egg and cheese on a toasted English muffin. If there is no sausage patty, I can use pork roll ... AKA Trenton, NJ Taylor ham.
Then there is another option. Using sliced and fried in butter smoked ham, till just lightly browned.
A little time saver that makes me happy, is the night before, I will make the breakfast muffin sandwiches; and then let them cool. I wrap them in waxed paper tightly. That way, I'm not scrounging around and stumbling trying to hurry up and cooking them.
I just open the fridge, and grab them to heat for a few seconds in the microwave; just to warm them up to enjoy.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up pulling out a jar of marinara in my 'supper search'.....determined to bake off the squash I picked up. I was praying the spaghetti squash was ripe.

I should have roasted it a little longer but the taste was good. It was a tad bit green but not bad.

As usual, I had half of mine with marinara and half with just butter and s&p.....Enjoyed every bite!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_09_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The kids were here for supper and we had roast beef and gravy.
Scalloped potatoes; mashed potatoes. Green beans, and acorn squash.
DD made apple crisp, and apple cake, plus chocolate chip cookies.
Had chocolate chip mint, and vanilla ice cream.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers.....

I don't like leftovers.......

Have I mentioned that before???

Leftovers for supper ~ but I have to admit, the baby peas were better than the broccoli I had the first time..........

I don't like leftovers...........

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_10_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a griddled cheese and then a frozen eggo waffle for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Fisherman son’s first catch of perch, used to make seviche with shrimp, onion, jalapeño , garlic, parsley, tomato. On a bed of greens, cuc, red pepper and balsamic reduction. Yumm!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_10_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is 'Ground Chuck Tuesday' at Fresh Market and I was totally out. I only purchase my ground chuck there as it's the freshest and most consistent in my area.

I tried to call the store to order 1-1/2 lbs. of the chuck to be triple ground but the line was busy every time I tried this morning ~ but the meat man was very nice and took care of my request without a problem.

I'm also out of Jimmy's Greek Sauce so that's what the fine ground chuck is for. Dane really likes it on his hot dogs. I freeze it in the itty little KFC 'sides' containers and it's just the right amount for a couple Coney Dogs. I'll probably cook it up in the morning as I'll be done and ready to get off my feet by the time I get the burger patties made.

I have a couple ripe avocados that I had to put in the refrigerator to stop them from getting too soft so tonight will be taco salad or soft tacos.....

Cookin Lore

No cooking again today, but lots of food. Good friends who live in British Columbia have been in Ontario visiting their daughter this past week. Today they took the train to come visit with me. We went to The Mandarin restaurant, a chain of Chinese restaurants that serve a fabulous buffet....................... So, I started out with some cold mussels, broccoli salad, shrimp, button mushroom salad, a spicy mango salad, then on to the good stuff..................pork ribs, lemon chicken, black pepper beef, mixed vegetables, hot spicy mussels, chinese noodles, some other chicken dish, then several pieces of sushi, and for dessert a piece of sliced turkey and cranberry sauce. Friends had sweets for dessert, not me!

Tomorrow they fly to Palm Springs, CA to spend the winter!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Taco Salad with Guacamole......

HE said his flour tortillas were tough ~ can only figure he heated them on high instead of a lower setting. Why would he blame ME????

Eh ~ that's life......

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_11_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a tomato sauce with diced tomatoes, diced red pepper, zucchini and [grated garlic
We had that over bowtie pasta.
DD made two pumpkin pies; and pumpkin bread.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have the 'Jimmy's Greek Style' sauce cooking on the stove. Man, it smells SO GOOD in here. It'll simmer for a good hour or longer (if I remember correctly) and I'll stir it often to keep it from sticking and to break up any chunks of beef.

I wasn't really thrilled with the 'third time ground' beef I asked for yesterday. Maybe next time I'll blitz it a bit more in my mini-chop to get it pulverized. It's not terrible, and is certainly a finer ground than the regular ground chuck, but isn't like the last time I asked for it.

Dane saw me reading over the recipe as I was assembling the ingredients and said, "OH! Are we having Chili Dogs tonight???" So, I guess I'll make a run to the closest Publix and pay an arm and leg for a package of the Dietz & Watson casing dogs......We'll both be happy if I do!

I also have some eggs steaming ~ thought if we're having chili dogs we might as well have some macaroni salad to go with them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chili sauce is just about done, although I'm still not thrilled with the grind on the beef ~ but there's nothing to be done now.  I considered the immersion blender but I don't want it to be 'baby food' texture.  The flavor is just fine ~ just not as small a grind as I prefer.

And, while it was simmering away, I got done with the macaroni salad.  It's in the refrigerator.  

Just a quick trip to get the casing hot dogs and maybe a fresh package of buns.....and supper is done!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_12_14

On edit:  Problem with texture is solved ~ kind of.....  I just didn't like that even after simmering for 1-1/4 hours and being cooked down completely that the meat texture was still kind of clumpy.  So, I put it into the bowl of the Kitchenaid mixer and covered it with plastic wrap, right over the top, attached to the bowl from edge to edge.  Then I let it beat for about 3 minutes.  It was able to sneak a bit of sauce that landed on the backsplash.....but it wasn't bad at all.  Covering the machine in plastic wrap is a trick I've used before so I knew it would work.

The beating broke down all the bits of ground beef and it'll be just right to spoon over hot dogs and hamburger patties.....

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_12_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE said, "One would have been enough......" but he 'suffered through' finishing two chili dogs and ate a second serving of macaroni salad.

All to make me feel good about making it......

Yeah,..........right..............

Hahahahahahaha!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_12_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Grocery store had prime rib roasts on special. So, I bought the smallest one they had, tried cutting it into two “steaks”. Couldn’t separate the ribs, but this is what I ended up with for today, another piece for another day! It was soooo good, just brushed a little oil on it, then basically covered it in black pepper. Turned on the air fry in my oven at 425. Also had a Hasselback Potato and mushrooms, onions and red pepper. Yum!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_12_17

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_12_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a cheese burger from McDonalds; a small fries. A doughnut for dessert.
After looking at Beths and Lores suppers, I am getting hungry. OOops! It's snack time.
I think it's time for a personal pizza.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I sure do hate my 'short-term-memory-loss'......

I went to the grocery store the other day and when I saw the display of grapes I got a bag to pick some up.....but I couldn't remember WHAT I wanted them for. I just remembered thinking, "Buy grapes...."

Well, this morning Dane got home from playing golf and a guy he golfs with is from New York and every year when he & his wife return from NY to their winter home in The Villages, he brings bags of fresh New York apples to gift to his golfing friends. And, apparently, Dane is one of those friends!

So, when he walks in the door and says, "Guess what I got today?" ~ of course, I was clueless....maybe he found errant golf balls on the trails.....but, no, he showed me his bag of apples.

And that's when I remembered I wanted grapes to make WALDORF SALAD!

And that's what I just finished making for our supper tonight.....I had to push the bowl to the back of the refrigerator so I don't decide to help myself to one bite after another during the day!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty tasty.....I have to admit, the Waldorf salad was my favorite part ~ probably because I've been wanting it for a couple weeks now. There's some left and I wouldn't be surprised if I eat most of it before I go to bed......

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_13_16

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_13_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was shepherds pie. It was tasty , but Tina put too many canned peas in it.
She will only eat canned peas, so I ate a Tablespoon of peas only. I call them Mushy Peas.
Dessert was a krispy kream doughnut.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

During the summer Baby back ribs can be near 20 dollars a slab but these were less than $8.00. I couldn't pass it up. Charlie used to make a cherry BBQ sauce when he cooked ribs in Seattle. I tried this one from a BBQ cookbook I recently bought. Except for this one having a little more heat, they are almost the same. WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 Img_0210

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:During the summer Baby back ribs can be near 20 dollars a slab but these were less than $8.00.  I couldn't pass it up.  Charlie used to make a cherry BBQ sauce when he cooked ribs in Seattle.  I tried this one from a BBQ cookbook I recently bought.  Except for this one having a little more heat, they are almost the same.

I just had to refuse buying when the prices were so high ~ and I can only surmise it was due to the higher transportation costs......pretty sure the hog farmers aren't getting a higher price that covers more than the cost of food for the animals.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. London broil, basmati rice with mushrooms and riced vegetables, plain sliced tomato.  I bought a package of frozen riced veggies a while ago, thinking they would be a good addition to a stir fry. They are only so-so, I will use them up, but won’t get them again.  I prefer my veggies more identifiable in chunks."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 2 10_14_15

((  I'm having difficulty getting Lore's pic to download.......I'll mess around with my computer and try again later.....       sorry, beth

Got it to work!!! Ain't technology great ~ ~ when it works!!!     ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking for me tonight.

I went for carryout from my favorite Chinese Restaurant and we split the meal ~ and it was still too much. Gotta say, we usually get our money's worth from that place.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, was Pulmonary Dr. day for me. I made out ok. Lots of walking and I was exhausted.

We had spaghetti with a meat sauce.

Pumpkin pie for dessert. I made whipped cream, and the kids came over for supper.
Liam is sleeping over tonight. Tomorrow, he is going apple picking with his other grandma.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum